If RT's save lives, why are we not as represented/respected as RN"S?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 145)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

rolinda in Chula Vista, California

67 months ago

Corey, Not all RTs are as fortunate as us. Good employers are difficult to find. I empathize with Bob and the others. I understand how they feel....continuous short staffing, increasing workloads and shortcut patient care. Not good. I was absolutely miserable and contemplated leaving the field until....Eureka!, I found gold!. This April will be the start of my 11th year with my current employer whose first concern is our patients. We receive emails updating us about patient satisfaction. Our motto is "Give them the pickle". During a department meeting we watched a film. Bob Farrell and Ken McCarthy founded Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in 1963 and their goal was keeping their customers happy. "If they're happy, they'll come back". They included a pickle with every order. Well, one day a staff member forgot the pickle and this customer wrote Mr. Farrell, expressing his unhappiness with the missing pickle. From then on Mr. Farrell and his staff's motto was "Give them the pickle". I'm happy to be working with a great team. I feel very fortunate. I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

The grass on the other side of the fence isn't always greener

I am in nursing school and I HATE it. I LOVE the learning aspect of it, but it's scary to see the kind of abuse that nurses put up with. I don't care what anyone says, $40-60k is NOTHING for what they put up with. I am nearly finished with my Associates, but looking into other career choices for my Bachelors. I need something that comes with a certain level of dignity and respect. That is NOT Nursing, unfortunately. I'm sort of jealous of my friends who went on to be Respiratory Therapists and/or Dental Hygienists.

Many times, these professions pay the same as nursing, and their job satisfaction is WAY higher. I really don't mind if I took a 10k pay cut. For my health and happiness, it is 400% worth it. It really and truly will even out. Nursing may be an honorable profession, but we are treated like DIRT. It's very disheartening to kill yourself through nursing school and feel like you made the biggest mistake of your life by going through with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

~rose~ in Corona, New York

4 hours ago
I am in nursing school and I HATE it. I LOVE the learning aspect of it, but it's scary to see the kind of abuse that nurses put up with. I don't care what anyone says, $40-60k is NOTHING for what they put up with. I am nearly finished with my Associates, but looking into other career choices for my Bachelors. I need something that comes with a certain level of dignity and respect. That is NOT Nursing, unfortunately. I'm sort of jealous of my friends who went on to be Respiratory Therapists and/or Dental Hygienists.

Many times, these professions pay the same as nursing, and their job satisfaction is WAY higher. I really don't mind if I took a 10k pay cut. For my health and happiness, it is 400% worth it. It really and truly will even out. Nursing may be an honorable profession, but we are treated like DIRT. It's very disheartening to kill yourself through nursing school and feel like you made the biggest mistake of your life by going through with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Corey in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

I have no empathy for either one of them. I believe that they made the wrong career choice and should opt out. We ALL work with staff shortages, even my department. The funny part is, nurses work short EVERYDAY, they are required to take 4 patients, some places up to six. They rarely get lunch breaks, they are the first to get screamed at by physicins and family members. If they can't handle being an RT, they are in serious trouble if they think nursing is any easier. I am very fortunate to work where I work. The respect doesnt come over night. We worked very hard to establish trust and respect from everyone, and it doesnt happen with one person, it happens with the whole department. If you have a terrible leader, you will have a terrible team. These two probably get in trouble for whining at work, so they come to whine about their jobs on here. Thats to bad. These are the bad apples that they were talking about at the conference in San Antonio. That's funny, it must be Texas thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Chris, I will be completely honest with you. I am not a manager nor a director. I do not make assignments, nor choose my assignments. I am the same as you. I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist. I have been in the field for seven years, and I wouldn't take a management position if it were offered to me. I do whatever assigment I am given, and I will do it well. Do I get frustrated when I have a count of 40 and someone has called in? Of course. Do I get frustrated when I have seven vents and the other RT has that 40. Sure, but the fact of the matter is, it's not like that everyday. We all have the good days and the bad. I still enjoy what I do. On the slow days, I get to actually sit down on the bed and ask the patient questions, and actually use the skills we learned and still learn. I went back to school for my B.S. degree to learn only because I enjoy learning. I want to contribute to the profession, and make it better for the RT's in the future. Maybe you should find another facility to work at where the RT is more versatile. If not, I would recommend quitting and going into another career field, because the RT profession doesnt need whiners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Fort Worth, Texas

67 months ago

Chris, Rolinda, thank you for your understanding and compassion. Please don't waste your time trying to reach Corey. I had a manager like him once. Anyone who complained was ridiculed and told "If you don't like it, you know where the door is!" By never allowing anything negative, he never had to deal with any problems. He convinced himself that everything was OK by labeling anyone who noticed a problem as a "whiner". It worked, for a while. Eventually noone told him anything, and he lived in his delusional reality right up til they asked him to resign. Everybody had pretty much moved on by then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Working with a good employer makes all the difference. It gave me a new perspective. Every profession has positive and negative aspects. For me the positives far outweigh the negatives. I have good days and I have very good days. I agree with Corey. I also like what I do. I enjoy working as a RT. Each day I meet someone new and learn something different and it's very rewarding to know I'm doing my best and using my knowledge, skills and training to help people. We work in an exciting field which offers enough diversity to keep me interested. The attitude and work ethic of coworkers also influences the dynamics within the workplace. I'm happy to work with a great team and I know we make a difference. Good journey everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Fort Worth, Texas

67 months ago

Chris,
I understand. It's too bad really. We need people who are passionate about the care they deliver, and who want to do it right. Corey's attitude aside, it is heartening to hear that pockets of real respiratory therapy exist. His description of the "bad days" at his hospital did make me smile. For far to many RT's, that's a normal day. You never get a chance to sit down, talk to the patient, put what you've learned and continue to learn into practise. That's why he's so fortunate to work where he does.
Labeling anything negative as whining is an old tactic that managers have used for years. It keeps the rank and file in check and isolates them. It also prompts the one labeled to question themselves. Collectively they would pose a threat as change agents. Isolated, they suffer in silence, accepting the status quo. Those who persist in delivering bad news are "punished". Bad assignments, bad schedules, eventually drummed out. You probably know the drill.
Keep speaking up for as long as you remain in the field. If you are going to leave anyway, you've nothing to lose, right? Maybe it will inspire others not to sit idley by and watch things get worse. "Whining"? I think not. One of the ways things get changed is by pointing out a problem and complaining about it. Good on you in your future endeavors Chris. I'll keep plugging away. I don't want and cannot imagine doing anything else. I just want to do it right by the patient, and not keep having to cut corners to boost next quarters profits. Oops, better quit before I'm labled a whiner again. LOL Take care Chris.

CMSC VA in Staunton, Virginia

67 months ago

RT's are the first one's called (to bail RN's out) and the last one's remembered by hospital staff (RN's, MD's). The only people that truly appreciate what we do are the patients - they are the only one's that value what we do. I love what I do because I truly help patients breathe and feel better. I hate the disrespect my profession receives because everyone sees the nurse as the life saver miracle worker, and we get little or no credit for helping them in their time of true need. I have been involved, time and time again, with nurses who panic over the slightest sign of distress and I come to assess and treat the patient and problem solved. Who gets the credit from nursing management? The patient's RN. Who does the patient remember and appreciate? Me.

webdox in Ferndale, Michigan

67 months ago

We always giggle at RT's who go back to school to become RN's in our 100+ RT department. Especially when they stay in the same hospital and we can watch the transition from happy RN grad to disgruntled RN in 6-8 weeks time. You think the sputum is greener on the other side of the fence? It is, and it's called sh!+. Enjoy cleaning that up as I laugh under my breath walking out of the room. Just remember the indications for breathing treatments so we don't have you call you out as a hypocrite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pam w in Fallbrook, California

67 months ago

CMSC VA in Staunton, Virginia said: RT's are the first one's called (to bail RN's out) and the last one's remembered by hospital staff (RN's, MD's). The only people that truly appreciate what we do are the patients - they are the only one's that value what we do. I love what I do because I truly help patients breathe and feel better. I hate the disrespect my profession receives because everyone sees the nurse as the life saver miracle worker, and we get little or no credit for helping them in their time of true need. I have been involved, time and time again, with nurses who panic over the slightest sign of distress and I come to assess and treat the patient and problem solved. Who gets the credit from nursing management? The patient's RN. Who does the patient remember and appreciate? Me.

Did you become an RT to get your ego stroked by your co-workers or to help your patients?? Why do you care who gets the credit, does it matter as long as the pt remembers/appreciates you? Ever walked in the shoes of the RN, believe me, I bet she feels just as underappreciated as you do and she deserves to feel that way. She also "panics" at the slightest sign of distress because god forbid something happens, she will be the one that also gets the blame. Shame on you for putting down the RN. She cares for the pt just as you do, even more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: Did you become an RT to get your ego stroked by your co-workers or to help your patients?? Why do you care who gets the credit, does it matter as long as the pt remembers/appreciates you? Ever walked in the shoes of the RN, believe me, I bet she feels just as underappreciated as you do and she deserves to feel that way. She also "panics" at the slightest sign of distress because god forbid something happens, she will be the one that also gets the blame. Shame on you for putting down the RN. She cares for the pt just as you do, even more!

Thanks for the tongue lashing, I really appreciate it. Sorry I don't measure up to your perfection.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pam w in Fallbrook, California

67 months ago

CMSC VA in Staunton, Virginia said: Thanks for the tongue lashing, I really appreciate it. Sorry I don't measure up to your perfection.

Your welcome, no problem. Next time just try harder.

Bob in Fort Worth, Texas

67 months ago

Infighting amoung our own ranks, or even between disciplines, is all administration needs to keep the energy for real change spent on arguments amoung staff; when the real problem is with administrators with MBA's who've never worn scrubs in their life. All they see are numbers on spreadsheets and dollar signs. Every job at the bedside is tough. Yes, there are atitude problems with nurses toward RT, just as there are attitude problems amoung RT's towad nursing; but we're all in this together. Rather than fighting amoungst ourselves, we'd be better to spend that frustration and indignation on administrators who don't know or don't care what really goes on at the bedside.
Before anyone thinks I've got it in for admin, I realize they're needed. None of us is doing this for free; and we have to have money coming in to keep the doors open. I'm refering to admin that is only interested in the "illusion" of good care, at the expense of the patients and the staff, in order to maximize profits.

67 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: Your welcome, no problem. Next time just try harder.

And who thinks highly of themselves? If you think I don't respect RN's, you are very wrong. The respect I seek is not for myself, it is for my profession, our profession. I worked just as hard as an RN to become an experienced RRT. The respect issue is not with RN's. On the contrary, they do respect us and do value our skills. The lack of respect for what we do comes from management and administration. Our profession is ansillary not allied, in the eyes of hospital administration. I guess it would be hard for a MBA to understand what we do and what role we play in patient care. All they see is the bottom line and what department can have clinical employees cut first. RT is a good place to start for them.

pam w in Murrieta, California

67 months ago

CMSC VA in Staunton, Virginia said: And who thinks highly of themselves? If you think I don't respect RN's, you are very wrong. The respect I seek is not for myself, it is for my profession, our profession. I worked just as hard as an RN to become an experienced RRT. The respect issue is not with RN's. On the contrary, they do respect us and do value our skills. The lack of respect for what we do comes from management and administration. Our profession is ansillary not allied, in the eyes of hospital administration. I guess it would be hard for a MBA to understand what we do and what role we play in patient care. All they see is the bottom line and what department can have clinical employees cut first. RT is a good place to start for them.

I understand where you are coming from, but when you read your post as a nurse it does not sound like you respect the nursing profession. I took offense. I know you work hard and your profession is valued. When you are talking about the all mighty dollar and administraion, all employees feel disrespected to some degree, including the RN's.

Saint Firmin in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

lol @ webdox comment, you are so right. I see it all the time, but I really want to know why the RT field is not expanding like other programs, i.e. Physical therapy or Occupational therapy. I believe if they do away with the 2yr program and offer only a B.S. or masters in RT that we would get paid way more and respected more. I think the 2yr program is hurting the field and the reason why some RT's don't get respect. Its just my opinion so please don't get so emotional if you went to a two year school. I just think that education plays a big role in this big picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I'm new to this RT thing, and I been at several hospitals and everyone I've been too the RT's are loved and respected. I just think that some RT's need to find a way to coexist with the nurses. Truth be told not all nurses are evil, most are very cool and the ones that are not usually come around after a patient codes. I feel the complainers and the RT's that are happy with there jobs. Bottom line this field ain't for everyone.

beta2agony in Plattsburgh, New York

66 months ago

It is irrelevant whether you go to a two-year program or a four-year. Whether you pass the registry exam and clinical simulations is what is importatant to the field. I know a few bachelor's program graduates and they are just as burned out as the rest of us, lol. This job is what you put into it, your respect is earned from the nurses and docs, not assumed. I do not have any problems with my co-workers 99.9% of the time, they know I am here to work and take the time to provide quality care. I get respect, no matter what hospital I travel to. Thanks for listening, Beta2Agony!!!

Saint firmin in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

I'm talking about getting paid based on your degree, trust me it matters. It always had been like that, you get paid based off the degree you hold. If our program held the weight of a masters or phD trust me we would get based off that. Its the same reason why a two year nurse cant advance unless he/she go back to school for. There BS, MS.....etc. I spoke w/an NBRC rep and she told me it's in the works to phase out two year program. Think about what I'm saying before you responsed. And for those of that feel There's no room to grow in our field there is. Go to CoArc web site to see some master programs ie masters in AA, anistegolist assistant( fogive me for my spelling) it's equal to a CRNA. It's offered in Houston and ATL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

The RT in the near future will be REQUIRED to have a four year degree. It actually would have been in place a little over a year ago until the non-accredited schools offering fly by night two year degrees, spoke up and said, "what about us?" So the AARC is givin these schools an ample amount of time to affiliate themselves with an accredited university. Go ahead and check the school you went to, see which university they affiliated themselves with. If they dont, they wont be able to offer their program any longer. It's funny because there were people just like you who said, "they wont make us go to an associate degree". If I were you, Id get on the ball buddy, because you don't have much time. By the way, yes, it makes a big difference between an Associate or B.S, it's called pride in your profession, and yes, facilities do recognize that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Saint firmin in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

I'm glad you understand Corey, As for me I do have my BS in RT. When I give some people my opinion on this matter they frown as if I'm putting them down. I know directors that are being force out of there position because they don't have a upper level degree (old timers). "It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane"(Hangover) lol. Anyway it's just my opinon, but I think they should scratch the AS program asap, and work on making it being a BS program only. Please take no offense to my opinions. I'm just real passionate about our field growing into something better and maybe congress will gives us more money. And for those that dislike their job or the field, relocate or Go back to school, purfusionist is real good. I plan on getting my masters in anesthsiologist . It's like being a RT with a phD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sparkys1angel in Dayton, Ohio

66 months ago

I'm also a RT and it pissies me off when Nurses think they are superior to RESPIRATORY therapist! And the new grad NURSES don't know nothen about are jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ash1186 in Hialeah, Florida

66 months ago

MPlants in Miami, Florida said: Matthew,

My most favorite hospitals are Broward General Medical Center in Ft. Lauderdale and South Miami Hospital. We get to do everything e learned in school and therapists are very well respected.

Good luck
Micheline

I am in RT school right now. If you worked at Broward then you most likely know my step father he worked there for over 20 years. He also said it was a good hospital to for. I'm hoping when I'm done I can find a job there.

beta2agony in Avon, New York

66 months ago

You don't have to have a bachelor's degree to have "Pride in your Profession". I am assuming you have a BA in Resp. Care. You spent twice the amount that I did to practice as an RRT, assuming you passed your registry. Comments like yours are ignorant and have a tinge of regret associated with them. I have an A.A.S. and twelve years experience, currently traveling. I have worked in all types of facilities and it is irrelevant whether an RRT has a bachelor's or associates, what matters is whether they passed their exam and successfully are working in a facility which matters. Sorry to bust your bubble but ICU work and everything in-between is EASY. You need to know how to communicate, time manage and be comfortable with your job skills, that's it. I know a few RT's with BA's and I don't see a difference in their knowledge base or skills. Thanks for listening, beta2agony!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

beta2agony that's why your will remain a floor therapist for the rest of your "career". You can not move up with a AAS in any respectable field, and that's fact. I guess your comfortable with being a yes man. I however, will never get comfortable. My goal is not to do floor therapy for the rest of my life and then post comments on how unhappy I am cause I choose to be complacent. Your right you don't need a BS to do the job, and that's why young folks like myself who have the right mind to invest in higher learning will be telling you what to do. Your comments says it all, I bet your a old washed up therapist that miserable with your life, cause you made all the wrong decisions. I made the right choice by getting my BS, I can do so much more when,like go for my Masters in Anesthesiologist Assistant or Physician Assistant. One last thing a AAS says that your "LAZY". Was the work to hard for you to obtain your BS or did you not think about career progression. As a matter of fact loose your job and try to get a another career with a AAS, you will get laughed at. I see why hospitals don't like to hire old timers like yourself, so stuck in your ways. Education is key, Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

kns305

66 months ago

So much back biting among our profession isn't good. We should be coming together as a team. I don't care how much education or experience anyone has. All of this negativity towards each other will cost us one day.

ernest cruz in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!! Oh MY God!!!!! So you think a bachelors is going to make a difference in this corrupt field? There is not even a difference between a CRT and a RRT!!!You do the same work. You wanna spend all that money on a bachelors go ahead. It'S like you're the smartest one with downs syndrome. Really now..all this misplaced pride!!!! THANKS FOR THE GOOD LAUGH!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Your typing is terrible, your english is worse. You are a troll. Good luck trying to find a job, would love to see your resume, LOL!!

66 months ago

Saint Firmin in Houston, Texas said: beta2agony that's why your will remain a floor therapist for the rest of your "career". You can not move up with a AAS in any respectable field, and that's fact. I guess your comfortable with being a yes man. I however, will never get comfortable. My goal is not to do floor therapy for the rest of my life and then post comments on how unhappy I am cause I choose to be complacent. Your right you don't need a BS to do the job, and that's why young folks like myself who have the right mind to invest in higher learning will be telling you what to do. Your comments says it all, I bet your a old washed up therapist that miserable with your life, cause you made all the wrong decisions. I made the right choice by getting my BS, I can do so much more when,like go for my Masters in Anesthesiologist Assistant or Physician Assistant. One last thing a AAS says that your "LAZY". Was the work to hard for you to obtain your BS or did you not think about career progression. As a matter of fact loose your job and try to get a another career with a AAS, you will get laughed at. I see why hospitals don't like to hire old timers like yourself, so stuck in your ways. Education is key, Have a nice day.

Good luck trying to find a job where you don't do "Floor Therapy". I don't care where you work, you will have to draw ABG's, set up Bipap, etc...etc... In every hospital there is a floor, and on every floor there is a sick patient, and you sir will be doing "Floor Therapy". LOLLLOLLLOLLLOLLLOLOLOLL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Oh my god!!!!!!!All this fighting!!! please!!!!!!!!!!!!Fighting for some scraps are you?? This field sucks the big one. I draw ABG's, I collect sputum, I check the vent, I give a tx....But I'm not allowed to think on my own. I'm just a pawn for the nurses and docs!!Ha ha ha ha!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lungfixer in Dallas, Texas

66 months ago

CMSC VA in Staunton, Virginia said: There has been a strong, yet silent push by nursing to take over many RT duties. <snip>

WHAT??

I've been an RT for 23-years, I've worked for dozens of institutions in several different states across the U.S. Although I have experienced places where RN's treated (and were encouraged to treat) RT's as subordinates...I have NEVER met a nurse that was pushing to take over ANY more duties than they already had.

The value and respect that RT's receive not only differs greatly from state to state...it also differs greatly from institution to institution within a given state. Much of it depends on the strength of RT dept management, as well as the role of the RT as it was established early on.

I worked for Scripps Memorial Hospital in LaJolla, CA during the 1990's, and I have never seen another place where RT's were treated SO badly. The problem was created long before I started working there. Weak management allowed the dept duties to be pawned off on other disciplines (for instance, Laboratory drew ALL ABG's and reported results straight to RN's who called the MD...completely removing RT's from the picture). The last straw for me was when I was told (as I reported for work one day) that our dept was being "disolved" and placed under nursing. We were ALL required to re-apply for our jobs to the respective unit we wished to work for (ICU, Floors, etc).

The best thing I ever did was get out of that environment...but in So Cal at that time, there were more RT's than full-time jobs...there was a new-grad waiting to take your place, so they had ALL the power!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

beta2agony in Avon I work and I do all those things and more. I say again I will not be doing this forever, not cause I don't enjoy it, but because I don't get complacent. This is the reason why where below the totem pole, because education is put on the back burner. sure you can do all those things, but you don't have the education level to supervise, coordinate, or direct a respiratory department without going back to school. I don't even know why I'm going back and forth with you, your at a education disadvantage. LOL all you want your beneath me, and for all the RT's that are offended by my post I apologize whom ever this beta2agony clearly don't understand the price of education and that's why he has a AAS cause he was too dumb and lazy to finish the other two years. as for ernest cruz I'm not sure why doctors treat all Mexicans like they're good for only selling produce or mowing lawns, I think you should be allowed to give your opinion so I apologize for how they treat you. Education is exactly why get paid the way we do and why where "pawns". Take a look at the average field that holds a upper level degree, they get paid for it. All I was saying is that education plays a big part in how where compensated and this big mouth from New York starts talking manure, and hospitals in Texas rarely hires CRT's now, there fading CRT's out (FACT).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lovelyface in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

Wow. This thread has completely changed from the dynamic between nurses and RT's to B.S vs. A.A.S. I'm in agreement that both degrees can do the same job with the same pay. Saint Firmin argues that he gets more respect, but with spelling and grammar like his, I highly doubt it. It doesn't do anyone any good to turn against each other over two more years of education. An associates degree does not make you dumb or lazy, and likewise having a bachelors degree does not earn you more respect because of two extra years. If you want to advance in healthcare, a two year degree is a great stepping stone to other paths, as is a bachelors. It's really up to the individual, and all of this arguing really does nothing for our profession. I can see how phasing out A.A.S. programs is in the future, but it's not like NBRC is going to kick everyone to the curb that already has an A.A.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

saint firmin in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

Lovelyface I did not say anything about one being smarter than the other. All I was saying is that if I profession held a higher degree that we would be compensated for it, that's all. I think for what we do we should get paid way more. One reason is that our field is fairly new, the other is the education level require to do our job. If you went to a two year you will not understand. I'm not saying that I'm more superior. and I'm not from this country so yes my grammar is off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Wow I guess some Indian Sh@*ted on you pretty good chris sutton or your just another racist prick who's mad that they come here to work. Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not Indian and those people that hold those positions with a two year are old timers or the hospital you work at sets the bar pretty low. Don't worry that's going to change too. Another thing I'm not taking anything away from two year programs you parasite. From the moment I start posting my comments all I was trying to convey was if our field held higher education standards, that we would get paid way more, nothing more nothing less. I don't expect you two year degree holders to understand that logic, cause all you did was get the technical part of education. I know a two year holder that just got promoted to coordinator of RT and now he has to go back to school for his BS and its not by choice. And for all you other RT's out there who care to comment I didn't post these comments to get ignorant responses, only positive educational discussions. I don't mind debating, but my god at least think about what I'm saying before you post your emotional comments. If you don't value higher education I respect that more power to you. One last thing nurses can move around and are needed all over the hospital but once the start gunning for those positions that require higher education trust me they go back to school. Forgive me for any offense. Not you Chris your a douche bag.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Oh I get it you wanted to get with an Indian woman but she isn't into racist pricks. No need to explain the Indian culture to me I am well aware of it. lol educate you say lol. I don't want to make this a post war with a active member of the Klan. I bet you want to throw me a neck tie party.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Dallas, Texas

66 months ago

A four year degree will be the standard shortly, but it is no garauntee of respect or pay. That's not to discount the education, it's of value on its own merit. When I started, licensure was just coming to Texas. The message was that with licensure would come respect. It didn't happen. Then they began phasing out the CRT so that there would only be the RRT credential. Then, "they" said, we'd get respect. It didn't happen. Then the NBRC created a disposable credential, claiming that the required continuing education in order to keep it would bolster respect for the profession. It didn't happen. Now "they" are saying that the 4 year degree will increase our respect. I'm not holding my breath. Nor do I expect, in this cost cutting environment, that we will see RT's paid more. I work with 2 and 4 year degreed therapists, and I can tell you that their pay scales are no different.
Bottom line, respect is earned day in day out at the patient bedside. For that you don't have to have a four year degree, but I'd be remiss if I didn't advocate getting such a degree. Not because some magic respect fairy will come and waive their wand over any of us, but because it is the key to future employment and advancement for the individual RT in the near future. Just as many hospitals have begun hiring only RRT's, leaving CRT's looking for work, so too will come the day when they'll be looking to preferentially fill vacancies with 4 year degreed therapists. That doesn't mean the AAS will be unable to find work, it will just be harder; and respect will still have to be won, one patient at at a time.
Nurses will rally round if someone from the "outside" goes after one of their own, but listen in to a few conversations and you'll find that they may have little respect for an individual nurse. Same with physicians. Respect is earned by the individual, regardless of professional designation.
The infighting amoung us is counter-productive, and certainly doesn't earn respect from anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Bob, I respect your comment, well put. If my message came out wrong, my apologies, I did not mean AAS get no respect because I would be lying if I thought that. I just think our field is short changed. I feel that we do not get paid enough because the weight our field holds. When you go to school for two years, you really did not invest a great deal of time acquiring your degree, so they (who ever comes up with how much we should get paid) says lets pay them 49000. We do so much and when it comes to life and death we play a big part, but yet we get paid peanuts. I just don't think it equals out. Again I have a lot of respect for all RT's AAS and BS. Thanks for positive gomments

66 months ago

comments sorry, I press the wrong key

66 months ago

As I recall Firmin...you called a person holding an associate's degree "stupid and lazy"....would you like me to pull that up so you can explain that statement? A lot of people such as myself needed to work right away so we could have a roof on our head, food on the table and bills to pay. That is the reality of life. I don't know your situation but a lot of us don't have the luxury to go to school while someone else is flipping the bill. Another thing to keep in mind is that an associate's degree in applied science will not readily transfer to a Bachelor's degree..unlike and associates in science. TSU has a program to get your bachelor's in just over a year, but that too has the "applied" stamped to the bachelor's certificate. So basically you're stuck if you wanna do anything else. So mr. Firmin, try to be more sensitive to other people's plights in life..therefore you won't have to explain what you meant and what you didn't mean, Thanks

Lovelyface in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

Bob you are so right!!

66 months ago

Damn I feel like 50cent you see my comments but do not acknowledge his disrespect towards me. Everyone seems to wear their emotions on their sleeves these days. If your a two year grad more the power to you. Like everyone said "it is all about how you perform and not your education level". I know what I called him, but did you read his remarks Cruz. And if you go to TSU you will have to take the same classes, if you do not already have them, it will equal to 4yrs. I know this because my Indian friend is doing it now at TSU, he has a two year from Alvin. and has two years left. You'll have to take the management courses, all the physics, biology, ethics, etc. And I agree everyone's situation is different. The fact that you took time to pursue a career is commended, but please do not knock me on how I feel about education. I was taught that the ultimate rewards come from education and sacrifice. If my grammar sucks oh well.

66 months ago

Bob, Im so proud of you!! See...I knew you had it in you!!!

66 months ago

Feeling unappreciated and under paid is not uncommon. It is found in every profession. Here's an example:

Karen in Centereach, New York

2 hours ago
Back in the day a hygienist was regarded as a professional.Over the years the dentists and assistants have taken advantage of us. Most offices do not require the assistant to help the hygienist with anything. So the hygienist has to clean her room after every pt, set up the tray with instruments, place used instr. in the ultasoinc, then bag them, and see to it they make it into the sterilizer. On top of that they need to make sure their room is stocked with supplies even if the assistant is standing around b.s.ing on her cell. God forbid we bother them for something throughout the course of the day.30 years ago when I was an assistant,I had to do everything. The hygienist was a princess. I'm not saying I want to be a princess, I would just like a little respect as a professional. In addition to all that we have to deal with the assistants attitudes, the office managers mood swings, and of course the crazy dentists we all work for.All they are interested in is the bottom line, how much money can you make me. We have to deal with the "front desk girl" not filling your schedule when there is a cancellation, which often results in the hygienist going home early, hence a smaller paycheck that week.It's always the hygienists fault not matter what the issue is.

66 months ago

Del in Odessa, Texas
20 months ago
I've been an RN for 25 years.I worked the county hospital and most of my career was spent in home health 20 years after leaving the hospital due to working 18,20,21 hours a day (yes within a 24 hour period)We had a shortage then,still have shortages and this will never change.My base pay back in the 80's was 12.00/hr with shift diff.of 50 cents,75 cents for charge nurse with a full floor of 36 patients,one charge nurse(RN)two LVN's and no CNA,three patients sent to our floor with vents,M.D.ordering a one on one(HA!HA!HA!),neuro patients requiring neuro checks q 30 min,sx,blood transfusions out the kazoo for post ortho hip,...I could go on and on and yes this was one floor one night,but other floors were just as bad.We were walking zombies.I was in constant stress fearful that a patient would die due to no staff,not getting the appropriate care,so I quit.Went to work for a home health agency for the next twenty years.Not bad,but then again I and everyone else worked 15,20,24 hours/day.Doing what?Paper work,on call,seeing 17 patients from morning till night in their homes,falling asleep in your uniform at the table trying to finish all your required paperwork and admissions by the next day,making $30.00 a vist,more on admissions,but when I broke it down,all I was making was 3.56/hr.Became a supervisor,salaried,no raise for 8 years,informed them I was quitting,received a raise,another 6 years went by,no raise,no medical insurance,no retirement plan and half my life with not having a life.I quit a year ago due to other reasons(after a drunk DON became psycho)not the first one like this over years.They would eventually get fired,but this was the straw that broke the camels back.I love patient care,teaching,etc.and I know there is some good employers out there,but I'm tired and ready to move on to another career,yet I still have the urge to nurse.I never discourage anyone going into nursing.It is all politics and greed for the BIG BOYS

66 months ago

Sorros in Chandler, Arizona

2 days ago

Happy With Decision in Miami Beach, Florida said: Do you want a job you go to in the morning and while you are positioning a film for a portable your feet a slipping on the floor because you are standing in a pile of snot? Do you want to walk into the department in the morning and see stretchers lined up with patients in the fetal position waiting for you to do a barium enema on them? Is dealing with spoiled, arrogant doctors that have no life experiences other than school and their profession what you might enjoy? Can you appreciate doing endless unnecessary exams for legal purposes, incompetence, enrichment? Do you enjoy an environment with constant pressure and with zero tolerance for error where the impossible is asked of you x-raying patients that are injured, in horrible shape, insane, drunk? Do you think you might like breathing the same air with people infected with TB, Aids, Hepatitis, Flu, while at the same time you are getting zapped in the face with radiation for hours on end each week, then sign up. The good news is you probably won't find a job for a while because the market is so over saturated. But when you do get the job you will have to accept the lowest pay scale because there will always be someone else that will work for less than you.

This is the absolute truth! The radioplogy profession has become changed unbelievibly in the past decade. Every statrement made here is true and even worse in some cases. Technologist are rushed stressed and abused daily. if you complain your are replaced with a stude4nt who can't find a job that will work for beans.

66 months ago

Above are more examples I found.

melodym

65 months ago

OMelodym

Dee in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have a question. Are there any hospitals that allow RNs to intubate in crisis situations?

Our nicu does allow those nurses who are involved with transport to intubate although intubation is primarily an RT responsibility. Sometimes it can be helpful with a difficult airway.

AshJackson in Lawrenceville, Georgia

64 months ago

There is nothing wrong with you recieving a A.A.S degree in Nursing, atleast you have decided that maybe that is not what you want to do, Now have a RN degree is great RRT is not all that good due to the pay, but if you are fine with that than do so, at the this time in life get two degree's so you can apply for two positions than just one.. The Grass is not always greener on the other side but again atleast you have two degrees if you choose to do so.. but keep in mind that a BS degree is always perferred, I will get a BS in my next program if I were you b/c sooner or later you will be back in school for a BS one day, I was always told if a Program offer a BS or a BA degree get that b/c if you have a A.A.S some1 will have a better chance with a higher degree.. RN A.A.S degree in RN good 1st step(a BSN most people get that to have a higher degree to be clinical Manager(10 yrs ago), but Master's in RN is taken control of that). I wish you the best get your feet wet and Im sure you will like it, never give up, relocte of just determine what you want to do in Nursing.. TYhe LPN's are the 1's having a hard time with employment due to the 2yr RN program:)

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.