Independence University Students

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 91)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Etta in Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee

81 months ago

I am curious are their any students having problems with their clinical site schedule interfering with your fulltime job? I know when your taking prerequisite it not a problem, but what about when you get a clinical site and you work a day shift, but the only time they will let you do your clinical is days. Will most clinical site work around your work schedule.

The reason I am asking this question is because I thinking about enrolling in the program in May 08. But before I enroll I would like the answer to this question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Not yet. I am planning to do my clinicals every other weekend. It seems like it may take me forever going this route, but that's the only way I can do it.

Etta in Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee said: I am curious are their any students having problems with their clinical site schedule interfering with your fulltime job? I know when your taking prerequisite it not a problem, but what about when you get a clinical site and you work a day shift, but the only time they will let you do your clinical is days. Will most clinical site work around your work schedule.

The reason I am asking this question is because I thinking about enrolling in the program in May 08. But before I enroll I would like the answer to this question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Etta in Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee

80 months ago

Brenda in Cleveland, Ohio said: Not yet. I am planning to do my clinicals every other weekend. It seems like it may take me forever going this route, but that's the only way I can do it.

Brenda,

Thanks for your response, looks like your clincial site worked around your schedule, I know it seems like a long time but you will be finished much sooner than you think. How are your classes at this point? Do you find it challenging at times? Are you in your core courses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sandi in Aberdeen, Mississippi

80 months ago

I have been approached about providing clinical rotations and can not find any information about how Independance covers this. Do the students have proof of malpractice insurance, how are they graded, who grades them, what is their allowed scope of practice. It seemed that the student that contacted me had to find her own clinical site. Are there not any approved sites available?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Marion, South Carolina

79 months ago

I am looking at completing my clinicals, but I need a syallbi for the clinicals. Also, where do you buy the malpractice insurance for the clinicals? thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Niki in Jasper, Georgia

79 months ago

Are you saying that Independance universities online respiratory therapist degrre is legit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Niki in Jasper, Georgia

79 months ago

Has anyone made sure that hospitals would hire you with a degree from independance university?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Victorville, California

79 months ago

They sure will! It is legit :-)
www.hpso.com/quick-quote/page1.jsf
(insurance)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Cape Coral, Florida

79 months ago

It is accredited by the NBRC and you can sit for the board exam to obtain either your CRT or RRT. How prepared you'll be from a program like this to take your boards is another story. However, unlike every other program in the United States (not exaggerating) you are required to find your own site for clinical rotations, which, depending on your area, could be a near impossibility. Check around for local community college programs and weigh your options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Florence, South Carolina

79 months ago

Thanks for the information. I plan to attend a Kettering seminar to help prepare for the boards. Their pass rate is excellent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cam in camden in Camden, South Carolina

67 months ago

I am interested in completing my 2nd year (after I pass my CRT thru my tech school)in RT online. It has been difficult finding information on how the clinical rotation works. Do the clinical sites get any compensation or are they expected to let you learn out of the goodness of their hearts? I'm not finding a lot of willing people with the time or inclination to be that helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cam in camden in Camden, South Carolina

67 months ago

Ruth in Florence, South Carolina said: Thanks for the information. I plan to attend a Kettering seminar to help prepare for the boards. Their pass rate is excellent.

where are you doing your clinical rotations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rathernotsay in Davis, California

66 months ago

I'm a clinical coordinator at a University of California teaching hospital in the Respiratory Care Department. We are taking IU students on a trial basis to see if they are prepared. For every few IU students we take on, they provide us with FREE scholarships to the University - bachelors or masters. We won't keep them around, even with the free tuition, if they are not competent. These type of programs function best for students who already have experience of some kind, say as an EMT or ER tech, and not for those starting at 'ground zero.' I'll let you know how they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kimmiehenderson in Oakland, California

66 months ago

rathernotsay in Davis, California said: I'm a clinical coordinator at a University of California teaching hospital in the Respiratory Care Department. We are taking IU students on a trial basis to see if they are prepared. For every few IU students we take on, they provide us with FREE scholarships to the University - bachelors or masters. We won't keep them around, even with the free tuition, if they are not competent. These type of programs function best for students who already have experience of some kind, say as an EMT or ER tech, and not for those starting at 'ground zero.' I'll let you know how they do.

I am an IU student in Pittsburg CA, I am seeking a site to complete my clinical rotations. I am currently a medical assistant with 20years experience working at Kaiser Permente in Oakland and also I work in a Respiratory Therapy student position(O2 Tech) at St. Josephs medical Center in Stockto. I can also be reached at email kimmiehenderson@msn.com. Thank you in advance for any information you could provide in this mater.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack Sprat in Kansas City, Kansas

63 months ago

Ted in Cape Coral, Florida said: It is accredited by the NBRC and you can sit for the board exam to obtain either your CRT or RRT. How prepared you'll be from a program like this to take your boards is another story. However, unlike every other program in the United States (not exaggerating) you are required to find your own site for clinical rotations, which, depending on your area, could be a near impossibility. Check around for local community college programs and weigh your options.

Not correct - NBRC is a testing body not an accrediting body. Accreditiong is done throught the Committee on the Accreditation of Respiratory Care Education (CoARCe) for the professional courses. Generral Education courses are accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). This is not a regional accrediting agency and courses taken under this agency are not transferable to many 2 and 4+ year colleges and universities. Ask them about this!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rathernotsay in Davis, California

63 months ago

Jack is correct. IU students are eligible to take the RRT however if that was Ted's point. CoARCe and DETC have also accredited the IU courses, but Jack is also correct that many other colleges and universities will not accept the course credit from MANY online universities. We've had the IU students for some time now, and it really is true it is up to them to ensure they are going to pass their exams and receive a license. Tutors, books, clinical sites, 'lab' days are all provided, but no one will hold their hand and make them go. A lot of people are spending a great deal of money of this program and then wasting their own time thinking they can pass from reading the books on their days off. You have to be HIGHLY self motivated - much more than even most 'good' students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lashaunda in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

Etta in Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee said: I am curious are their any students having problems with their clinical site schedule interfering with your fulltime job? I know when your taking prerequisite it not a problem, but what about when you get a clinical site and you work a day shift, but the only time they will let you do your clinical is days. Will most clinical site work around your work schedule.

The reason I am asking this question is because I thinking about enrolling in the program in May 08. But before I enroll I would like the answer to this question.

i have no problem with my clinical site. i actualy work for the hospital i am doing my clinicals at. the director is willing to work with my work schedule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CNA in Memphis, Tennessee

57 months ago

lashaunda in Houston, Texas said: i have no problem with my clinical site. i actualy work for the hospital i am doing my clinicals at. the director is willing to work with my work schedule.

That great! I have found one also and will be starting my clinical in May 2010.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

FTRRT in Reading, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

IU found a clinical site for me. I did not have to find my own. I will be starting the program in June. Could someone explain if the core courses include labs? If so how are labs scheduled and where? Thank you .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Memphis buddy in Collierville, Tennessee

55 months ago

CNA in Memphis, Tennessee said: That great! I have found one also and will be starting my clinical in May 2010.

Where is your clinical site? I live in Memphis as well and will be enrolling in this program this month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CNA in Memphis, Tennessee

55 months ago

Memphis buddy in Collierville, Tennessee said: Where is your clinical site? I live in Memphis as well and will be enrolling in this program this month.

Hi, I will be doing my clinicals in Corinth, Ms

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

alink in Scranton, Kansas

54 months ago

rathernotsay in Davis, California said: Jack is correct. IU students are eligible to take the RRT however if that was Ted's point. CoARCe and DETC have also accredited the IU courses, but Jack is also correct that many other colleges and universities will not accept the course credit from MANY online universities. We've had the IU students for some time now, and it really is true it is up to them to ensure they are going to pass their exams and receive a license. Tutors, books, clinical sites, 'lab' days are all provided, but no one will hold their hand and make them go. A lot of people are spending a great deal of money of this program and then wasting their own time thinking they can pass from reading the books on their days off. You have to be HIGHLY self motivated - much more than even most 'good' students.

You stated in an earlier post you would let everyone know how the IU students are doing? Can you let us know how they are doing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rathernotsay in Davis, California

54 months ago

Actually they have done very well. Their level of self-motivation really shows, and they seem quite bright. By the time I get them in clinical the ones who couldn't 'cut it' have alreay been weeded-out. They, like everyone for the next few years, will be challenged finding a job. It's all cyclical. But they seem to be smart and motivated. Some grads from the private schools clearly had their hands held a lot to graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christy in Nashville, Tennessee

53 months ago

I am currently attending a traditional 18 month Respiratory Care Program an hour away from home. I am considering enrolling in IU's or another online Respiratory Care Program because I feel that I would benefit more by being able to manage my own time apposed to sitting in a classroom from 7:30a.m. till 6:00p.m. on tuesdays and thursdays along with 8 hour clinical on monday, wednesday and friday. I feel that the program I am attending is poorly scheduled with too many laborious hours and too much busy work that consumes precious 'study' time. I get home around 8:00 p.m., study till 12ish and wake up at 4:00a.m. to do it all over again. I have completed two clinical rotations along with Pharmacology, Fundamentals I,II, ABG and Intensive Care Monitoring. Can anyone advise me if I am making a wise decision about switching to an online program? Because I don't know how much longer I will last physically or mentally in the current program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TawnyMarie in Oakland, California

53 months ago

I just signed on with IU and they told me that their contact for clinicals is in Davis. So, that may just be you...Who knows. I'm very excited about the program. I've seen so many knock it down because it's online but, to me with any program it really is about what you put into it whether it's on campus or online. I've been an online student for 2-3 years now and I think it's definitely more difficult then doing traditional morning classes. I have a family to take care of so working is a must : )

rathernotsay in Davis, California said: Actually they have done very well. Their level of self-motivation really shows, and they seem quite bright. By the time I get them in clinical the ones who couldn't 'cut it' have alreay been weeded-out. They, like everyone for the next few years, will be challenged finding a job. It's all cyclical. But they seem to be smart and motivated. Some grads from the private schools clearly had their hands held a lot to graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TawnyMarie in Oakland, California

53 months ago

I'm a huge fan of going to school online because I have to work full-time and provide for my family. But, if you're not working full-time then online can definitely work for you but, I must warn you...Expect to put just as much effort into an online program. Online doesn't necessarily mean "easier"...If anything it can be quite the opposite...Goodluck!

Christy in Nashville, Tennessee said: I am currently attending a traditional 18 month Respiratory Care Program an hour away from home. I am considering enrolling in IU's or another online Respiratory Care Program because I feel that I would benefit more by being able to manage my own time apposed to sitting in a classroom from 7:30a.m. till 6:00p.m. on tuesdays and thursdays along with 8 hour clinical on monday, wednesday and friday. I feel that the program I am attending is poorly scheduled with too many laborious hours and too much busy work that consumes precious 'study' time. I get home around 8:00 p.m., study till 12ish and wake up at 4:00a.m. to do it all over again. I have completed two clinical rotations along with Pharmacology, Fundamentals I,II, ABG and Intensive Care Monitoring. Can anyone advise me if I am making a wise decision about switching to an online program? Because I don't know how much longer I will last physically or mentally in the current program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

meg f in Tustin, California

50 months ago

Does the same preceptor oversee you throughout your whole program or do you have to jump from one location to another over that period of time? How many hours a week will I need to be at my clinical site and do you think I could do it in the evenings and/or on the weekends? I need to work full-time Monday through Friday and am a single mom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

- Indeed Host in Austin, Texas

40 months ago

Hello Everyone, Some content on this forum has been removed because it does not adhere to our forum rules: http://www.indeed.com/forum/gen/How-to-Use-Indeed/Indeed-Forum-Rules/t82504 Please refrain from posting content which includes personal attacks. Thank you! Indeed Host

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie

40 months ago

Dear Indeed "host",

Since when is posting fact...threatening and aggressive?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rathernotsay in Davis, California

40 months ago

Can you remove posts that endorse him?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RTLB in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

I am a student at IU, I'm finishing my last class in 15 months, I'm in the accelerated program ( 2 classes per 4wks) I had a hard time finding a clinical site, but I found one 40 mins from where I live. I start in 3-4 weeks. Yes it's pricey but I like this field and in nYC (where I am) CRT and RRT there is a 10 k annual difference in pay. It not easy because it requires a lot of reading. But when I went to Hunter college I hated it i hate taking the train and sitting in a classroom. so for me Online works.
**If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ftrt in Reading, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Has anyone used ACE accredited courses to complete the general ed requirements? I am wondering if they will accept Straighterline courses. They have ACE accredited courses for each of the required gen eds. Would any of the current students be able to check into this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mml in Cochranville, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

FTRRT in Reading, Pennsylvania said: IU found a clinical site for me. I did not have to find my own. I will be starting the program in June. Could someone explain if the core courses include labs? If so how are labs scheduled and where? Thank you .

hello, can you tell me how you are doing at your clinical site, is it working out for you? I live in Chester cty and looking at the same program too. Thank you in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mml in Cochranville, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

RTLB in Brooklyn, New York said: I am a student at IU, I'm finishing my last class in 15 months, I'm in the accelerated program ( 2 classes per 4wks) I had a hard time finding a clinical site, but I found one 40 mins from where I live. I start in 3-4 weeks. Yes it's pricey but I like this field and in nYC (where I am) CRT and RRT there is a 10 k annual difference in pay. It not easy because it requires a lot of reading. But when I went to Hunter college I hated it i hate taking the train and sitting in a classroom. so for me Online works.
**If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

hello, can you please give me feedback of your experiences so far with the school. I am considering it and need honest feedback. Thank you in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RTLB in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

When I started out I was in the old program (1class every3 months) after I got married my husband said its going to take too long and thought perhaps I should join the new program (2 classes every 4wks) which is what I did. In the old program it was easier to get higher grades b/c it was complete BS. The final would contain all the questions from the previous exams and include questions from the Final Review @ that point u can practically Ace the final with closed eyes. In the new program its much harder, there is a lot of reading material and questions that can throw you off guard. To get up to speed last semester (Aug-Sept) I took 3 classes Bio 151, Res 111, Res 121. each class has 2 discussions posted up each week which you must answer, 1 unit exam per wk, and this totals to only 50% of your grade then you have a final which makes up the other 50% of your grade. Like I said a lot of reading, and no time to goof around. I had a hard time finding a clinical site the school says " We advise our students to continue looking, while we help them look" which can mean 2 things A) We aren't looking good luck, b) we actually are looking but so far no luck, please help us. With my experience it was choice "A" I found my own clinical site, but no its not that close to where I live in brooklyn, NY instead my clinical site is in Perth Amboy, NJ 45 min drive from my house by car.MY car, fuel and tolls u understand getting there isn't cheap. I must have called atleast 20 sites starting with northern NJ hospitals and going down the state. NY has nothing available at the time I was searching. Me personally I like going to school online, I have a small baby, and need to work. When I attended HUnter COllege I hated driving and taking the damn train. Yes its $$ but you can take out a loan and pay them when you graduate, also as an RT You make around 50K where I live at minimum. So for me its worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RTLB in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

Also if u need to get in contact with your adviser its best to just give them a call, this way things get done a lot quicker :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mml in Cochranville, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

RTLB in Brooklyn, New York said: Also if u need to get in contact with your adviser its best to just give them a call, this way things get done a lot quicker :)

Thank you. You have been helpful. I took the plunge & called yesterday. You are right! Spoke with a counselor, very informative. So we shall see. He sent info and wants me to take a test? How hard was the test? Do you think I can get your email info, i'd like to ask a few questions off line. Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RTLB in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

mml in Cochranville, Pennsylvania said: Thank you. You have been helpful. I took the plunge & called yesterday. You are right! Spoke with a counselor, very informative. So we shall see. He sent info and wants me to take a test? How hard was the test? Do you think I can get your email info, i'd like to ask a few questions off line. Thanks again!

wat is ur email?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MML in New York, New York

39 months ago

RTLB in Brooklyn, New York said: wat is ur email?

Hi RTLB,
It's MMLfromPA@Gmail.com
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ftstd

39 months ago

Mml-I replied via e-mail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

starling25 in Chattanooga, Tennessee

38 months ago

So was the entrance test hard. Was it just basic math and english how was it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

starling25 in Chattanooga, Tennessee

38 months ago

HELLO ANYONE OUT THERE......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shaquitta Forest in East Dublin, Georgia

37 months ago

Hey I am interesting in the RT program at IU.Can anyone tell me is this School legit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Latoya Menard in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

I am starting at IU on Dec 5th is there anyone in Houston,TX who already has a clinical site. If so whats the name of the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smart sensation in Sterling Heights, Michigan

37 months ago

Hello I'm wondering with all that's been said by you all comments. Which I truly do find very helpful considering i'm interested in becoming a new student. I haven't read anything about if credits are transferable from any currently attending college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Latoya Menard in San Antonio, Texas

36 months ago

It is not regionaly accredite the college but respiratory is and it will be up to any univwersity if they will accept your credits I wouldnt worry bout this cause the same applies to any accredited university u will also take a wonderlic u will have 8 miutes to answer 30 questions the number u get correct is how u score so dont worry bout the time they know u want anwer all 30 you get 2 attempts first attempt u need at least.18 points if u fail the first attempt u will need to score 20points good luck remember answer as many correct if u dont know some answers skip they want count against u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ric in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

RTLB Where did you do your clinical? I'm going to start the program on Jan 17

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ric in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

Nevermind I didn't read the whole thing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ITs Me in Prairie Village, Kansas

36 months ago

can't read comments

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

aya in Boyertown, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Has anyone on here transferred credits into the program? I would like to take as many as possible to thin out the workload. What have you taken, if so? Is it possible to shave off almost a full year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.