NO JOBS! Private schools have totally ruined RT job market.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

RT110 in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

There are way more respiratory therapists than needed in the job market. According to the new data (July 1, 2008 ‐ June 30, 2009)of Respiratory Care Board of California, each public school program trains around 20-30 students a year. However, last year, just in California, Concorde Career College produced 476, California College San Diego 222, San Joaquin Valley College 278, Kaplan College 151. Where are the positions for these new RTs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RRRT in Whittier, California

56 months ago

rtstudent in IL in Winslow, Indiana said: Not in California that's for sure. You also have to wonder about the quality of education that all those people are getting.

Its not about the quality, I work at one of these schools. It is true that the market is over saturated. The best thing you can do is contact COARC and complain. Start a letter campaign.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

webdox in Ferndale, Michigan

56 months ago

Get out of California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RRTstudent in Daly City, California

56 months ago

Anyone with a brain and money get into a Private school, however at Community College you have to take Microbio, Physiology, and Anatomy, trust me these classes are not easy at all. Cant understand how people that go to private schools do it, and in a short amount of time and without any of these prerequistes. Also what hospitals are taking them for there clinicals at our school with have affiliations with Kaiser, Sutter Health, and County Hospitals and we have to complete 860 clinical hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rrt phx new grad in Goodyear, Arizona

56 months ago

I went to a private school, had to have over 900 hours of clinicals, had microbiology, physics, physiology, anatomy, and chemistry. I passed my boards (crt/rrt)within a month of graduation, and with the amount of credits I received, I will be finished with my bachelors program in a year and a quarter. Not sure what schools are producing where you are, but I went to school with some pretty intelligent people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jm82 in Victorville, California

55 months ago

rrt phx new grad in Goodyear, Arizona said: I went to a private school, had to have over 900 hours of clinicals, had microbiology, physics, physiology, anatomy, and chemistry. I passed my boards (crt/rrt)within a month of graduation, and with the amount of credits I received, I will be finished with my bachelors program in a year and a quarter. Not sure what schools are producing where you are, but I went to school with some pretty intelligent people.

Hello, What school did you attend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Harry in San Gabriel, California

55 months ago

rrt phx new grad in Goodyear, Arizona said: I went to a private school, had to have over 900 hours of clinicals, had microbiology, physics, physiology, anatomy, and chemistry. I passed my boards (crt/rrt)within a month of graduation, and with the amount of credits I received, I will be finished with my bachelors program in a year and a quarter. Not sure what schools are producing where you are, but I went to school with some pretty intelligent people.

Some Schools do not admit the credit transfer from private career collge. For example, Credits from some schools such as Concorde Career colleges, ACC, California College for Health Sciences, PMI, Colorado Tech, and are not accepted by the University of Missouri.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RTED in Ogden, Utah

55 months ago

RT110 in Los Angeles, California said: There are way more respiratory therapists than needed in the job market. According to the new data (July 1, 2008 ‐ June 30, 2009)of Respiratory Care Board of California, each public school program trains around 20-30 students a year. However, last year, just in California, Concorde Career College produced 476, California College San Diego 222, San Joaquin Valley College 278, Kaplan College 151. Where are the positions for these new RTs?

I'm not sure where you got your information but in 2009 CCSD graduated far less students then 222 I would imagine that the other institutions do not graduate the numbers you mentioned. Private schools have rolling enrollments, in other words new cohorts of 20 - 40 start every quarter. So that even if they have a large number of active students (which is what I think was represented in your claim) only one or two cohorts will graduate in a given year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

RT110 in San Gabriel, California

55 months ago

RTED in Ogden, Utah said: I'm not sure where you got your information but in 2009 CCSD graduated far less students then 222 I would imagine that the other institutions do not graduate the numbers you mentioned. Private schools have rolling enrollments, in other words new cohorts of 20 - 40 start every quarter. So that even if they have a large number of active students (which is what I think was represented in your claim) only one or two cohorts will graduate in a given year.

From the data of CRT board test in California, total 222 of Alumni of CCSD attended license test from in the year of 2009, probably some of them are second or third time to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RTED in Ogden, Utah

55 months ago

RRTstudent in Daly City, California said: Anyone with a brain and money get into a Private school, however at Community College you have to take Microbio, Physiology, and Anatomy, trust me these classes are not easy at all. Cant understand how people that go to private schools do it, and in a short amount of time and without any of these prerequistes. Also what hospitals are taking them for there clinicals at our school with have affiliations with Kaiser, Sutter Health, and County Hospitals and we have to complete 860 clinical hours.

The private school I work for does have students complete all the courses you mention before they start their respiratory care courses. A certain number of credit hours are mandated by CoARC/NBRC and other regulatory agencies. Students go through accelerated programs by attending 1 or 2 classes per module for 2 - 6 hours per day then have to complete more class time online. They also do 166 hours of patient simulation in the lab and 640 hours of direct patient care. Students spend the whole 12 shift from morning report to the night shift hand off working under the direction of a clinical instructor. Their hours of, and complexity of courses is the same as a community college program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RTED in Ogden, Utah

55 months ago

RT110 in San Gabriel, California said: From the data of CRT board test in California, total 222 of Alumni of CCSD attended license test from in the year of 2009, probably some of them are second or third time to apply.

1. The CRT exam data is NBRC (national) and is not reported in the California RCB data or available on their web page
2. There is no such thing as a license test in California the RCB uses results from the NBRC CRT exam.
3. I still have no idea where you are getting your numbers
4. You are entitled to your opinion but if you are making a claim be accurate and fair

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RTED in Ogden, Utah

55 months ago

The report is not representative of school performance. There are several reports that cover a number of statistical data that is provided to programs. That is only one of them. You are looking at statistics that cover national averages and repeat takers. 222 is not the number of graduates but that of candidates (exam candidate reports each time someone takes a test not the number of people graduated). Also someone could have graduated years ago and decided to take the test (and would be recorded as a candidate in that time period)

Yearly data that is reported to our accrediting body is > 80% overall pass rate each year for the past 3 years with > 72% first time pass rate for 2009. A significant number of graduates not only passed the CRT but scored > 100 (passing 86) Any student of CCSD or anyone else concerned can ask to see this. The report is directly from the NBRC.

This school did not graduate 222 students from July 2008 to June 2009.

Again I would ask you to be accurate and fair if you are representing a claim about a school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RT110 in San Gabriel, California

55 months ago

RTED in Ogden, Utah said: The report is not representative of school performance. There are several reports that cover a number of statistical data that is provided to programs. That is only one of them. You are looking at statistics that cover national averages and repeat takers. 222 is not the number of graduates but that of candidates (exam candidate reports each time someone takes a test not the number of people graduated). Also someone could have graduated years ago and decided to take the test (and would be recorded as a candidate in that time period)

Yearly data that is reported to our accrediting body is > 80% overall pass rate each year for the past 3 years with > 72% first time pass rate for 2009. A significant number of graduates not only passed the CRT but scored > 100 (passing 86) Any student of CCSD or anyone else concerned can ask to see this. The report is directly from the NBRC.

This school did not graduate 222 students from July 2008 to June 2009.

Again I would ask you to be accurate and fair if you are representing a claim about a school.

It is ACCURATE, but I do not know whether it is fair or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mia in Santee, California

54 months ago

California Respiratory Care Board web site shows that 29000 peopel hold RCP license in CA at this moment. So, where are the jobs for this people?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

webdox in Ferndale, Michigan

54 months ago

RRRT in Whittier, California said: Its not about the quality, I work at one of these schools. It is true that the market is over saturated. The best thing you can do is contact COARC and complain. Start a letter campaign.

Well it is about quality to some extent. The school I went to will NOT graduate you unless you can pass a very hard mock CRT, RRT, and Clin Sim at the end and to be honest, more than 3/4 of the people who started never make it that far anyhow. These schools are kicking out a bunch of watered down therapists who can't and never will be able to attain their RRT credentials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Pico Rivera, California

54 months ago

RTED in Ogden, Utah said: 1. The CRT exam data is NBRC (national) and is not reported in the California RCB data or available on their web page
2. There is no such thing as a license test in California the RCB uses results from the NBRC CRT exam.
3. I still have no idea where you are getting your numbers
4. You are entitled to your opinion but if you are making a claim be accurate and fair

I too work in a private RT program and am frustrated with the misinformation that occurs from individuals unaware of how private schools operate. However the individual you replied to recieved their information from the Respiratory care board of California which does indeed report the pass rates (not the graduation rates) of all canidates, repeat canidates and new candidate test scores (CRT and RRT) www.rcb.ca.gov/applicants/caschools.shtml. I actually took my CRT from the RCB of California who used to allow you to apply and take the NBRC approved test through them. It actually expedited the license process, however I dont think they do that anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

webdox in Ferndale, Michigan said: Well it is about quality to some extent. The school I went to will NOT graduate you unless you can pass a very hard mock CRT, RRT, and Clin Sim at the end and to be honest, more than 3/4 of the people who started never make it that far anyhow. These schools are kicking out a bunch of watered down therapists who can't and never will be able to attain their RRT credentials.

Just so you are aware: ALL schools are mandated by COARC to purchase and take the same NBRC comprehensive CRT and RRT exams to graduate. So, it wasnt just your particular school. Now, how do all these people pass this comprehensive exam and then fail the actual NBRC test (and probably eventually pass after 3 or 4 attempts)???? Well use your imagination, there is some fudging of the numbers. I happen to work for a program that has near perfect first time pass rates for the last 2 years (CRT average for FIRST time attempt around 99% and the RRT FIRST attempt 85%). This program is a private school and winners of the national sputum bowl, so go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Woodstock, Illinois

54 months ago

"Just so you are aware: ALL schools are mandated by COARC to purchase and take the same NBRC comprehensive CRT and RRT exams to graduate. So, it wasnt just your particular school."

Just so you are aware: that is only partially true. Schools are allowed to go above and beyond and can test you however they see and mandate remediation. I can't speak for websox but I can guarantee your school does not use the same testing ours does to graduate our students considering ours were a combination of old paper tests and new computer based ones. You especially did not take the same SIMs considering they were proprietary to our school and the director who helped author the questions and answers.

54 months ago

Jane in Woodstock, Illinois said: "Just so you are aware: ALL schools are mandated by COARC to purchase and take the same NBRC comprehensive CRT and RRT exams to graduate. So, it wasnt just your particular school."

Just so you are aware: that is only partially true. Schools are allowed to go above and beyond and can test you however they see and mandate remediation. I can't speak for websox but I can guarantee your school does not use the same testing ours does to graduate our students considering ours were a combination of old paper tests and new computer based ones. You especially did not take the same SIMs considering they were proprietary to our school and the director who helped author the questions and answers.

Thats great, but COARC does have a mandated NBRC comprehensive test, I didnt say your school ONLY had to use these testing techniques but they HAVE to use them and report them every September during their annual report to COARC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

webdox in Ferndale, Michigan said: Well it is about quality to some extent. The school I went to will NOT graduate you unless you can pass a very hard mock CRT, RRT, and Clin Sim at the end and to be honest, more than 3/4 of the people who started never make it that far anyhow. These schools are kicking out a bunch of watered down therapists who can't and never will be able to attain their RRT credentials.

With regard to passing the RRT.. Anyone RT student with half a brain can pass that test it's not a hard exam, I've met down-right stupid RTs that have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alexander Grichuhin in Riverton, Utah

50 months ago

What the hell is wrong with you people; let’s just go on a freaked talk show for the love of god. Look passing the SAE and CRT in a month was hard have to pass the RRT after my first paycheck because I am poor. the school I went to was not the greatest, but it’s what you put into it that made it great, we are all passing the same exam, some people should not be in the field but some who are smart, and kind, and proved to everyone, not that they were required to, that they are there to help and become a team member, and loves the art of medicine, deserve every god given chance to be that person they were sent out to be. I am not here for a paycheck, I worked very very very hard to be who I am, who went to these schools and being hired at the best of the best hospital in the world with the greatest team and the highest respect, and I prove myself every time I am out there because that is who I am, that is my part in life and so is allot of the students out there. Anybody has anything else to say it’s your poison not theirs, yours! I went to a university then to a private school, so I see no difference but you playing the part of the incompetent, jealous person that you are, I love my class mates, they might put me down sometimes and they might think I am too smart, but that is a great definition of family, and I will not sit here and have you mark the rest of us out there tasting a dream for many, and hope for lots because the people I know and found competent and went to the same school I did, were fun, sensitive, intelligent and I see no reason they should not peruse there dream, but it seems clear that you are just not happy with your life and I don’t think you should take it out on the schools, the students and the people out there that went to these school because I think you will find they are happy and I would not bring them down for my own demise, because I am insecure of myself, or I just hate every one, like I said that’s your poison and your stupidity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alexander Grichuhin in Riverton, Utah

50 months ago

I have saved lots of lives so far even during school. the school did not make me who I am but how to use the knowledge we achieved as a student, and I am SAVING LIVES, I don’t care what you have to say, I see people on the street, or are poor, and have a crappie job that pays nothing and they are happy, they go to home in high heaven after work and love their kids and wife or husband, they are the reason I am in this field for them, FOR THEM!!!!!!! They disserve to live longer; they disserve a chance to live. I have that ability as a RCP to do just that as a team, and it was the school that made it possible……say what you will but for the people out there as a student, as a person... don’t listen to the negatives of poison, it’s that that kills you….not life.
Alex Grichuhin:
As depression grasps my weeping body I am embraced with its love, as my tears feed its roots, it became to be my own reflection of depression.

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

49 months ago

I read this article in the current issue of RT Magazine and am sharing a portion of it. The rest of the article can be found via their website at www.rtmagazine.com; click on RT: For Decision Makers in Respiratory Care and toggle down the page and click on the current issue, then toggle down and click on The Right Person for the Job.

Issue Stories
RT: For Decision Makers in Respiratory Care - July 2010

The Right Person for the Job
by Alison Werner

Respiratory care managers find the best RT recruits often are people they already know.

Whether it is an employer's or an employee's market, one size does not fit all when it comes to recruiting, hiring, and retaining the best respiratory therapists. Around the country, respiratory care managers must employ proactive strategies to ensure they get and keep the top candidates and the right candidates for their departments.

Increasingly, however, it is not advertising and signing bonuses that bring the best-of-the-best to these RT departments. It is who you know and good old-fashioned word- of-mouth.

"I've been here 11 years, and we haven't had one advertisement in the newspaper, the respiratory care magazine, or AARC, or any of those places, because we get all our [applicants] by referral," says Scott Reistad, RRT-CPFT, administrative director of the respiratory care department at St Anthony Central Hospital in Denver.

It is the same at the University of California at San Diego (UCSD) Medical Center. "[Our recruitment strategy isn't] advertising through your publication or through our paper, or even through the Internet," says Richard M. Ford, BS, RRT, FAARC, director of respiratory services at UCSD. "It's word-of-mouth [and relationships]."

Rolinda

49 months ago

Correction......www.rtmagazine.com

Calli Lindsay in Riverton, Utah

48 months ago

RRTstudent in Daly City, California said: Anyone with a brain and money get into a Private school, however at Community College you have to take Microbio, Physiology, and Anatomy, trust me these classes are not easy at all. Cant understand how people that go to private schools do it, and in a short amount of time and without any of these prerequistes. Also what hospitals are taking them for there clinicals at our school with have affiliations with Kaiser, Sutter Health, and County Hospitals and we have to complete 860 clinical hours.

I went to a private career college and we had to take all the pre-requisites and i did 750 clinical hours. Its not aas different as you think. We also went to school 6 hours a day, 4 days a week

LLPA-C in Lancaster, California

48 months ago

Hands down the best school in any field is "THE SCHOOL OF EXPERIENCE" I was a traditional school student in both my RT and PA schools. My RT preceptor was a private school graduate. She was then and still is a better RT then I was, but then again she had attended the school of experience for 8 years before I got there.

Yes, I will always be biased towards traditional schools, but for some people private schools are a better fit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

Same situation in Philadelphia. There are programs here that graduate sub-standard therapist that saturate the market every three months. That is why I cant find a jod with 22 years experience. I'm too expensive and the newbies are cheap but not as good. Hospitals here now are catching on to the inexperienced, sub-standard therapist by refusing to hire them because if they hire them they also have to train them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Desperate RT in Montebello, California

45 months ago

RT110 in Los Angeles, California said: There are way more respiratory therapists than needed in the job market. According to the new data (July 1, 2008 ‐ June 30, 2009)of Respiratory Care Board of California, each public school program trains around 20-30 students a year. However, last year, just in California, Concorde Career College produced 476, California College San Diego 222, San Joaquin Valley College 278, Kaplan College 151. Where are the positions for these new RTs?

Exactly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in New York, New York

45 months ago

I say this over and over again. those "for profit schools" ruined RT. And all you graduates How many of you are working? 1/40 or something or less.

45 months ago

And they will continue to ruin the market until local respiratory societies and the NBRC do something about it. The only option that respiratory therapists have at this point is to go into nursing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Echo in Concord, North Carolina

45 months ago

All schools are for profit Jay. They are also heavily subsidized and payed for by a 3rd party either in loans or government welfare.

Deans and professors are laughing all the way to the bank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Grouchy old RT in Torrance, California

45 months ago

I think all private schools should be banned. I taught at one of them and the quality of students is a joke. I work with them and most of them should not be allowed to go near a vent. Most of my students could not write or think for themselves and their math skills a joke. They had high school equivalences rather than high school degrees.

I gave them the same test 3 times and they would still fail. Would you want that kind of person working on you?

Most private schooled RTS lack the inability to think for themselves. They chose private school because they knew they were not intelligent enough to handle a real school and just wanted a high paying job fast rather than a quality education.

At real colleges you MUST take college English, Math, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, Psychology and Micro to even get in to an RT program. This thins the herd. Leaving the most worthy.

Private schools take your large some of money and teach you to take the test. You are
handed a worthless piece of paper that is NOT a college degree in any way. I doubt any of your units would transfer to a respectable school so you are STUCK unless you go back to a real college to complete your education.

Medicine is changing, the private schooled RCP will be the first to go. I can't wait. Deal with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Grouchy old RT in Torrance, California

45 months ago

My gosh pre coffee I write like an idiot. Ahem that is "ability", into, "Thus leaving" and sum. Now I have pity on those in this forum I mocked for terrible spelling and grammar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TL404 in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

Grouchy Old RT. I don't believe you worked at one of these private schools. I think your just someone that wants to complain because he hasn't been able to accomplish much in life.
If you were an instructor at one of these private schools, you would know that these programs do require all the gen ed courses colleges do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TR858 in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

Hallelujah! You said it! What a grouchy RT. To be accepted into a private school, you have to already be up to a certain standard. And if you taught at the school and your student failed 3 times on the same test, don't you think the teacher (you) were to blame?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Alexander Grichuhin in Randallstown, Maryland

45 months ago

I think its your teaching, bad teachers are the reason why students fail most of the time. I think if you went to a great school, and were awesome!!! but for some stupid reason you cant teach well enough for a student to understand, or make it seem so freak-en boring, then i would get my money back from the so called great school, and maybe its your school that sucks since they cant teach there students good enough to teach other students how to learn or understand cognitive approaches, enabling them to unlock their true potentials, and you can just sit there so dumb, and lecture us with the morals of bad education vs. good education, well i think you are the problem, not all of us. and a lot of these students work very hard to make it in the top league something in which you don't know anything about because you got a e-d-g-i-m-i-c-a-t-i-o-n at a skool that cant teach us retards how to p-l-a-y, i can teach a monkey how to work a vent, and you, the so called "great one" are complaining so much because us retards are taking all of your jobs, why? why is it that someone so great at something cant approach and show there true abilities and passion? but for some reason we are able to get jobs and keep them because we go far and beyond and keep learning better and better approaches because we know the school is not all that, so we make up for it in the hospital, by replacing your butt on the floor because we are busy working while you are busy complaining and not working like a team mate.
oh yea great job, i got into this field because i wanted to make a difference and i have and i have been excepted to many schools, but this one worked with me to get me registered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RRRRRRRRRRRRRR t in West Covina, California

45 months ago

Students don't fail because of bad teachers necessarily. Most fail due to a lack of understanding of critical thinking abilities or lack of motivation. Be honest, some students who attend private schools do so because they could not cut it in regular community college or university general education classes. Others go for the connivance of not having to take separate general education classes or wait on a waiting list. Students who take exams 3 times or more are allowed to do so because private schools are profit driven, failing a student is often not an option. Students must pass a certain point in the program for the school to receive full funding from the students loan. The teacher has little to do with this. Students who would have normally failed out in traditional programs are recycled in the private schools.

No offense to those students who decide to go the private school route, but it is generally accepted that 1.) the quality of teachers at these institutions are typically subpar (as demonstrated in the instructor who commented in this post). Not all of them are bad, and in fact many are potential university instructors in wait. But the majority of private schools only require a RRT and 4 years of clinical experience to teach. 2.) Private schools accept the majority of applicants who apply as long as they pass a 10th grade equivalency test (usually the Hobit or like tests). 3.) clinical sites at private schools are usually second rate do to the fact that these institutions have approximately 50-75 students in clinical at any given point during the year, meaning they use subacutes and LTACS along with acute care sites to accommodate all their students.

So, I can sympathize with the former instructors comments, however, students at any level of program have the ability to succeed. Respiratory is respiratory, it isn’t rocket science, all schools use the same material.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grouchy old rt in Torrance, California

44 months ago

TL404 in Denver, Colorado said: Grouchy Old RT. I don't believe you worked at one of these private schools. I think your just someone that wants to complain because he hasn't been able to accomplish much in life.
If you were an instructor at one of these private schools, you would know that these programs do require all the gen ed courses colleges do.

I dunno I am pretty proud of my 3 real degrees from 3 real colleges, all with honors, my research publications, and I am proud of my students that succeeded, and the lives I have saved over 22 years. I now teach college in another field in public schools but still do Resp on the side and the fact is the private school therapists in general shortchanged themselves.

I was sharing my knowledge with full honesty. As someone that spent OVER 12 years
in regular schools excelling I know the difference between a 13 week semester English composition class and a private one week English review taught at a private rt school by another RT with no education beyond an AAS in respiratory.

The students that failed my classes were not fit to be RTs they did not have the ability. Some got As so I am pretty confident I did a good job.

Success and knowlegde is not handed to you by paying a huge fee to a school. I worked my way up from the bottom AS to BA to Masters with no money just real hard work. Now I can get a free ride at virtually any institution for a ph.D because I earned it.

Have not accomplished much? Look in the mirror.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Grouchy old rt in Torrance, California

44 months ago

RRRRRRRRRRRRRR t in West Covina, California said:
So, I can sympathize with the former instructors comments, however, students at any level of program have the ability to succeed. Respiratory is respiratory, it isn’t rocket science, all schools use the same material.

I agree, with most you wrote and thank you. However, I have one disagreement. Although respiratory is by no means Rocket science it was definitely not easy. I went to a super competitive grad school where 300 applied 15 got in and only 6 finished the program and honestly my Respiratory courses could compare in intensity to some grad classes.Comparing apples and oranges I know but still I thought RT was tough as well as the Chem, Micro, Anatomy and even the College English. .

I don't believe just anyone can do RT and I know the private schools convince students they can because they want dough. The students sign contracts and get loans and by the time the student realizes it is not for them it is too late as they must pay that loan back.

BTW ALL RT programs whether public or private lose a significant number of students from start to finish. It is expected and accepted as normal.

I risked my rt teaching job often trying to discourage students early enough so they could get out when I knew it was too hard for them. The school management wanted me to wait till the school got all the checks then fail them.I just could not do that.

I may be grouchy but I write facts and believe it or not I am trying to help. The way some of you express yourselves it is clear that you have not received the best education you could have. The defensiveness speaks volumes.

At this very moment the jobs are drying up for ALL respiratory therapists because we have too many and the private schools have made this so. The hospitals can pick and choose and the ones with the higher educations and the RRT will likely stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRRRRRRRRRRRRR t in West Covina, California

44 months ago

I think we are in the same boat concerning our opinion of private schools. However, the attrition rates at private schools are far less than the community college. Having worked at several private colleges I can tell you that 2-3% attrition is the goal and pretty much standard. A student that fails a term simply rejoins the next term 10-16 weeks later, and are not counted as being dropped, unlike community college where a student would have to wait an entire year and be counted in a new cohort. I remember the general education classes as having almost zero attrition at the private school I taught at, the classes were so fundementally flawed that the chemistry and anatomy classes didnt even have microscopes or disection of any kind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mad in Ohio RRT in Akron, Ohio

44 months ago

Want to know the reason you can not get a job as a respiratory therapist? It's simple you have a lazy licensing body, that does not care how many RRT's are looking for work. They do not protect your jobs with legislation to prevent nursing staff in hospitals from taking and doing your jobs, they do not even have an e-mail address to communicate with them. It says write a letter--they need to get into the 21st century and start being a governing body-instead they keep raising the fees to take test and make more outrageous CE demands on new grads--I for one am going to Canada--socialized medicine will insure I always have employment. since they do not have an email address write your complaints to the following address-I guarantee you will never hear back.

NBRC Executive Office
18000 W. 105th Street
Olathe, KS

44 months ago

Amen! How true! How true! The NBRC is in the business of making money.
Not only do they make these outrageous demands, the come up with specialized credentialing that excludes anyone with a simple RRT
I been in this business for 20 years and all you needed was a simple RRT. Now you need a CPFT, RPFT, NPS, SDS. And for all these credentials of course there is an exam and CEUS to maintain them. What a rip-off. Do something for us NBRC to protect our jobs instead of sucking our blood!

jason habbo in Southfield, Michigan

44 months ago

WebDox what school did u go to cause im trying to get into the respiratory therapy program at OCC oakland community college?

Dawn in Corona, California

43 months ago

Wow! First of all you all need to relax. There's idiots at every school. And you who says private students only go to private because they can't cut it at a community or university is an idiot. As a mother and in my late 20s that was the only way to go. At the time OCC had a three year wait list and still not guaranteed a spot. I work a at well known well respected hospital in SoCal and alot of us are private school students. Meeting the demand needed a few years or several years back. As for jobs there is none at all anywhere. I have a friend who is looking for a second RT job and received a reply from the place hiring that 300 applicants have applied. It's a bad scene out there.it's taking new grads over a year to find work. Something has to give. It's scary thinking you could lose your job and not be able to find another. I have wanted to be a Respiratory Therapist since I was 7. The RTs were the ones I always admired as a child when I was sick in the hospital with my asthma, now that dream is going a different direction. Please if you read this do your research before you become an RT. There are no jobs, the market is saturated and yes it is because of private schools. For my fellow RTs we need to ban together and be heard. Stop the schools, stop the over saturation of the field we love. Thanks for reading. And please I don't need any nasty comments, grow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nickilaughs in Corona, California

43 months ago

I don't think you can place blame strictly on the trade schools. They are a business, and so are most universities and community colleges when you think about it. Their goal is to make money, truly. They will continue to spread the lies of "health care career are in demand" in all fields as long as people will continue to believe them. It is everyone's responsibility to do research for their own particular careers of interest. I had wanted to be a forensic crime scene investigator, but after doing TRUE research, I discovered there are very few jobs and I am unlikely to find employment in the field.

It is interesting to see how many forums say "Don't go RT, Go into Nursing" and the exact opposite "Don't got into Nursing, Go RT" quotes on different websites. Anyone who has done research should realize there are no jobs for any profession due to the economy. Yes the health care fields have become somewhat innundated with inexperienced health care persons which noone will hire because of lack of experience. And now even experienced health care professionals are having trouble. However, it is a variety of factors, including the amount of schools pumping out graduates, the economy, the mad rush of people believing that any career is recession proof, etc, that have culminated into this mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grouchy old rt in Harbor City, California

43 months ago

I do think it is the for profit, trade schools, like the Concordes etc that have saturated the job market. By making so many options "simply more schools
" and more start dates" and making it easier by not requiring the vigorous pre reqs that regular community colleges require.

I am glad I do have a job at this tough time in our economy but even with my background jobs are hard to come by. Every hospital wants an RRT and that is their prerogative. Please be sure~as I know some lie~that you will be able to obtain this credential if you attend a private for profit school.

BTW my community college was essentially free over 20 years ago thanks to a great school system here in Cali so not all schools make a buttload of money of of us.

RrRrT in Upland, California

43 months ago

Grouchy old rt in Harbor City, California said: I do think it is the for profit, trade schools, like the Concordes etc that have saturated the job market. By making so many options "simply more schools
" and more start dates" and making it easier by not requiring the vigorous pre reqs that regular community colleges require.

I am glad I do have a job at this tough time in our economy but even with my background jobs are hard to come by. Every hospital wants an RRT and that is their prerogative. Please be sure~as I know some lie~that you will be able to obtain this credential if you attend a private for profit school.

BTW my community college was essentially free over 20 years ago thanks to a great school system here in Cali so not all schools make a buttload of money of of us.

All schools including private schools are now RRT only programs, the last school to even offer CRT as a separate program was Concorde NHW, but they to are now only accepting RRT only students.

llm5 in Whittier, California

38 months ago

Im from Whittier, CA and Im looking for a legit school to attend for an RT program, any sggestions?

Kriss Ca in Portland, Oregon

36 months ago

llm5 in Whittier, California said: Im from Whittier, CA and Im looking for a legit school to attend for an RT program, any sggestions?

My.Sac college

highschooler in Dunnville, Ontario

30 months ago

hey, i am in highschool and i am/was really interested in becoming a RT. in your opinion, if i did take the program, would i be able to get a job? or would all the private schools take all of them? and if they would, which private school would be best? (that hopefully wouldnt put me in the poor house before i graduate...)

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.