POLYSOMNOGRAPHER

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 137)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

TOUGIE in Macon, Georgia

84 months ago

i just graduated out of school for polysomnography and place i visit for a job states experience is needed but no one will give you a chance to volunteer nor shadow with the technicians? the clinical sites that i went to at school even stated they want experience when they suppose to be the jobs that we can apply to. what would you do? at times is discouraging but i continue to p.u.s.h. believing something will come through for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dlombardo4@comcast.net in Cape Coral, Florida

83 months ago

Your best chance will be at privately owned Sleep Labs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jobsforsleep in Passaic, New Jersey

81 months ago

Hi,

beside indeeds job board, why not posting your resume on jobsforsleep.com. A job board directly for sleep techs and respiratory therapist and see if you find something there.

TOUGIE in Macon, Georgia said: i just graduated out of school for polysomnography and place i visit for a job states experience is needed but no one will give you a chance to volunteer nor shadow with the technicians? the clinical sites that i went to at school even stated they want experience when they suppose to be the jobs that we can apply to. what would you do? at times is discouraging but i continue to p.u.s.h. believing something will come through for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Loretta in Hamilton, Ohio

81 months ago

TOUGIE in Macon, Georgia said: i just graduated out of school for polysomnography and place i visit for a job states experience is needed but no one will give you a chance to volunteer nor shadow with the technicians? the clinical sites that i went to at school even stated they want experience when they suppose to be the jobs that we can apply to. what would you do? at times is discouraging but i continue to p.u.s.h. believing something will come through for me.

See if there are any sleep schools around you or close to you that is a lab and a school. Those places do take applications and they train you as well. I'm thinking about doing the same thing and there is a place fairly close to me and that's what they do.
Another option too is start calling around some local hospitals and ask to speak to the director of the respiratoy dept. The director sometimes is affiliated with the sleep labs or they know who's hiring and they may have some valuable insights. Tell the director you dilema and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. Hope this helps!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BRIAN in Redding, California

80 months ago

AAST

BRPT

check 'em

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Frank

80 months ago

How can I find a school that offers polysomnographer(sleep tech) courses

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DONNA in Tucker, Georgia

80 months ago

WHERE DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL IAM INTERESTED IN THIS CAREER....THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Allamuchy, NJ in Newark, New Jersey

78 months ago

I am experiencing the same problem, I received my certification in polysomnography, but have also found that anyone that is hiring wants experienced people. It has been very discouraging. With such a growing field I would think that at some point it will be necessary to hire us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

frank accardo in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

I just started the polysomnography program at Alvin Community College. The first session in the summer are online courses and then in the fall we attend classes twice a week. My question to those that have completed the program is how difficult was the course? I plan on taking what I learn to Australia where polysomnography is well sought after. Where as respiratory does not exist there as a field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Victorville, California

76 months ago

Hi Frank,

WHo does RT there? The RN?

bette in Hemet, California

76 months ago

I am looking for schools that offer courses in Polysomnography, does anyone know where I can find one? I have searched endlessly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Fort Myers, Florida

76 months ago

Here's the list of all the accredited programs www.caahep.org/Find_An_Accredited_Program.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Divine in Treasure Coast, Florida

76 months ago

Ted in Fort Myers, Florida said: Here's the list of all the accredited programs www.caahep.org/Find_An_Accredited_Program.aspx

I don't see any schools in Florida. How would one find a facility with on the job training provided in the south florida area for someone with a BA degree and also experience in the medical industry.

Ted in Fort Myers, Florida

76 months ago

Not sure if they do OTJ training in poly unless you're an RRT.

Christopher in Oakland, California

75 months ago

Congratulations and welcome to the most unstable, ever changing, high turnover right field in medicine. I hate to put the damper on your graduation with bad news, but I don't want to BS you and only want to inform. I'm registered in sleep and have been in it for the past 4 years, and I've never had a job last more than 6 months. Yes, it pays well, and it's fairly autonomous, but between it being a selective procedure for adults, and the healthcare cuts for hospitals and all, it's tough. I was recently laid off from a major international hospital because they recently closed their entire sleep lab. 140 years of respiratory/sleep experience in our techs now suddenly out of a job. You don't want to know what they're "replacing" it with. It's pathetic.

Private labs are worse. Twice the work for half the pay, and they will squeeze ever last ounce of sanity and happiness from you in order to buy that 2nd BMW. My job before this one, I worked in Portland. They merged with a bigger company and laid off all the experienced techs for people off the street at 50% the pay. I feel sorry for their patients... but wasn't too sad. They had me wiping counters and mopping the bathroom floors all the while running two sometimes three CPAP Titrations thanks to their ridiculously low split AHI criteria. Before that, my jobs lasted no longer than 3 months because they'd hire me to expand the lab, they'd eat up all their patients, then have to cut all hours back and lay off people. It stinks.

My advice: If you're going to work in any lab, try to find a lap that's starting from the ground up because if you start in any other lab as a rookie, trust me, you will never have stable employment. Also, you might want to think about being a traveling polysomnographer. If you can go from job to job and have a non pay base say... mom's garage or something just to spend the off times between gigs, you can make a lot of money.

Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

frank accardo in Friendswood, Texas

75 months ago

Wow!! Thanks for all that good advice. I myself am currently enrolled at a two year college specifically studying sleep studies. It's a slightly longer than one year course when you are an already registered respiratory therapist. I'm thinking about bypassing school and doing the A step program where I'd be going to a nearby sleep clinic for two weeks of training and then work at a nearby hospital for a year and a half for 18 months to learn all the ropes. All I'm doing now is waiting for the lady at the clinic to call me to get started. I heard it isn't cheap, but it's a quicker route to get started plus it gets you qualified to take the registry. I plan on taking this knowledge and moving to Australia where sleep techs are well sought after. Any advice on the A step program??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Y.T.L Rpsgt, RRT. Ph.d in Gallup, New Mexico

75 months ago

Christopher..
I'm sad to say your are right. I'm been doing this job for 10 years now and instead of appreciation for a seasoned sleep pro. You get dirty deals in the back room and unqualified warm bodies thrown in with you to work with. I understand that the healthcare business is a BUSINESS but, quality of care is usually advertise but, not willing to pay for.
People with very little or no patient care experience or formal background training are expected to understand and deal with disease pathologies, critical care situations and physically stressful tasks.. If a monkey could be trained to attach eletrodes and stare at a computer screen, I'm sure healthcare admin. would do that until peta would step in. Home sleep studies have been used for awhile but, there seems to be more people requesting for sleep staff to come to their homes and monitor. And still, going to a sleep lab either free standing, in a motel or hospital give peace of mind to people that thier loved ones are being watched by professionals..
I wish patients would ask more questions.. When a healthcare worker approaches them they should ask. What is your title/position? Where did you get your education? Or how long have your been doing this? Patients would be shocked at some of the answers.. If they recieved any. Excues all the typos, My hours have been cut so I'm crying due to all the stress and fear of losing my job. I'm a middle aged woman overly qualified with a 5 year old in tow.. What do I do?? I know that my situation is not different from so many others. Across the country people are being laid off.. Or pushed out..I'm too old, have to many degrees and have a small child (not as flexible as a young single rookie) I just hope I don't lose my home also.. Or my mind.. Good Luck out there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher in Richmond, California

75 months ago

Wow, YTL, I feel your pain. I really do. I hope things work out for you. Looks like we both are looking for a job. Can I ask what are all your credentials? Where have you worked before? I'm just curious. Hang in there.

75 months ago

Frank, unfortunately, I don't have any information on that... I'm sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I'm deeply into a sleep studies course as I write. The instructors make it sound like it's a sure thing as far as employment is concerned. Geologically, I live in the Houston, Texas area which is of course the medical capital of the world. So maybe there is some truth to what he's saying. Anyhow, after I graduate I only plan on doing this PRN while I mainly work days in respiratory. Then I plan on moving to Australia where my wife is from. Hopefully there, the medical system is based on helping people, rather than helping the CEO's bottom line. I hear they have one of the best medical systems in the world. Anybody watch Sicko? It's true, folks.

75 months ago

Frank, I hate to give you more bad news, man, but Houston is where I started out my first 2 years in sleep. I've worked in 4 different sleep companies in Houston, and it's no better there than it is anywhere else in the US. I know because I've worked everywhere within the US with sleep.

Just beware of expansion. If you get hired on because they claim to have a huge client base and need to add beds or nights to the lab, do not expect to work at a job for more than a few months. Nobody in sleep gets it that when you add nights you eat through your client base and all your reserves, so your scheduling eventually becomes more tenuous. Cancellations with no backup start happening, hours get shortened, and eventually, they WILL lay you off, and probably some of their other employees hired before you. It never fails, and nobody has ever learned this lesson.

Who cares if it kills us in the long run, we'll get that short term boost in moneys. If they looked beyond their quarterly gains, they might see that's always a huge mistake.

Also, beware of mergers and hiring of "consultants", especially if it's with a bigger company or if you're the low man on the totem pole. If that happens, automatically reach for your resume and start polishing it. If that happens, expect them to lay you off and hire someone else with less experience for cheap, or for someone with more time in the other company to replace you. Again, never fails.

Now this truth is frustrating because with these two examples, you will NEVER become a senior or tenured person in any sleep company. Don't I know it, and it's wrong. It's just he way it is.

Hopefully the healthcare system in Australia is better. I wish you the best of luck, and stay in touch. I'd love to hear more about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I certainly will keep in touch. Thanks for the valuable advice.

Y.T.L in Gallup, New Mexico

75 months ago

Oh my gosh.. Thath is what happen. A year ago the director hired a outside sleep consultant agency for our lab.. (to keep it staffed) but, now it has taken over.. I thought it was going to be just filling in for me if I got sick and stuff but, they are telling me what to do and scheduling their people first.. Me last..

I'm being squeezed out.. I've put in my own time to keep the lab going. I've spent my own money when there wasn't any supplies or equipment.. I've worked in conditions when agency workers have refused to work.

Boy was I foolish...

75 months ago

I know how you feel YTL. That's the way I've always been. These companies don't care about your loyalty or anything. Only the bottom line. At the risk of sounding like a Klingon, they have no honor. :)

YTL

75 months ago

SORRY About the typos.. I shouldn't type when I'm emotional..

wescore sleep in Clifton, New Jersey

75 months ago

hello,

we are looking for respiratory therapist who are sleep techs or want to be sleep techs to work in orange county new york.

can contact us at wescoresleep@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher in Walnut Creek, California

75 months ago

YTL said: SORRY About the typos.. I shouldn't type when I'm emotional..

Hang in there YTL...

CAM in Spring Hill, Florida

74 months ago

Is this a good firled to get into or? I have heard its relatively new field. Anyone having problems getting work? Am thinking about doing a 14 month program.

74 months ago

CAM in Spring Hill, Florida said: Is this a good firled to get into or? I have heard its relatively new field. Anyone having problems getting work? Am thinking about doing a 14 month program.

Read My posts in this thread.

74 months ago

how long have you been doing it?

74 months ago

CAM in Spring Hill, Florida said: how long have you been doing it?

4 years.

74 months ago

do you know of any other fields someone can get into. I have B.S. in CardioPulmonary Science..

Christopher in Walnut Creek, California

74 months ago

You have a good base. Start collecting certificates and registries, just remember ANYTHING is better than sleep, at the moment.

74 months ago

what does a register polysomnagrapher start in your area at

74 months ago

CAM in Spring Hill, Florida said: what does a register polysomnagrapher start in your area at

Somewhere in the 20's, depending on experience.

74 months ago

yes, same around here 25 to start and closer to 30 with experience I was told

YTL in Lubbock, Texas

74 months ago

I'M IN GALLUP
The higher amounts are in higher cost of living areas.. Long driving distance in a large spread city sprall.

Most of the positions are 3 days with 12 hour shift a week.. right?

Jack in Mountain View, California

74 months ago

DONNA in Tucker, Georgia said: WHERE DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL IAM INTERESTED IN THIS CAREER....THANKS

Darton College in Albany just started a program. It is an AS program. You will finish with 6 month's of experience, and able to stand for exam of RPSGT.

YTL in Hobbs, New Mexico

74 months ago

My respiratory degree is from Kent state and Pitt Universtiy (AS,BS) (MS,Ph) from Walden universtiy.. RRT, RPSGT (Atlanta school of sleep to help prepare for test then, go to Texas school of sleep for the C.E.U's .. I need 20 a year for RRT and 50 for polysomnography or just take the sleep exam (give 4x a year I think) AFTER TAXES I make $17.80 a hour.

good luck

p.s. I don't have to drive to work.. I can walk to work I'm just to fat and lazy.
So, I save $4 dollar a gallon driving

YTL in Ruidoso, New Mexico

73 months ago

I hope any negative comments just gives caution. If you are a strong aggressive free spirit with little or no attachments. Your chances to do well are better then stick in the muds like me.

Trish in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

Frank:
If you are still looking for a job in Sleep within commuting distance of Macon, I suggest you contact:
(1) Earnestine Zellner, the Manager of Respiratory & Sleep at Upson Regional in Thomaston
(2) Connie White, the Manager of Neurophysiology Services at Piedmont Fayette in Fayetteville.
I know these people sometimes hire new graduates of sleep programs and provide additional training on the job.

YTL in Santa Fe, New Mexico

73 months ago

Christopher in Oakland, California said: Congratulations and welcome to the most unstable, ever changing, high turnover right field in medicine. I hate to put the damper on your graduation with bad news, but I don't want to BS you and only want to inform. I'm registered in sleep and have been in it for the past 4 years, and I've never had a job last more than 6 months. Yes, it pays well, and it's fairly autonomous, but between it being a selective procedure for adults, and the healthcare cuts for hospitals and all, it's tough. I was recently laid off from a major international hospital because they recently closed their entire sleep lab. 140 years of respiratory/sleep experience in our techs now suddenly out of a job. You don't want to know what they're "replacing" it with. It's pathetic.

Private labs are worse. Twice the work for half the pay, and they will squeeze ever last ounce of sanity and happiness from you in order to buy that 2nd BMW. My job before this one, I worked in Portland. They merged with a bigger company and laid off all the experienced techs for people off the street at 50% the pay. I feel sorry for their patients... but wasn't too sad. They had me wiping counters and mopping the bathroom floors all the while running two sometimes three CPAP Titrations thanks to their ridiculously low split AHI criteria. Before that, my jobs lasted no longer than 3 months because they'd hire me to expand the lab, they'd eat up all their patients, then have to cut all hours back and lay off people. It stinks.

My advice: If you're going to work in any lab, try to find a lap that's starting from the ground up because if you start in any other lab as a rookie, trust me, you will never have stable employment. Also, you might want to think about being a traveling polysomnographer. If you can go from job to job and have a non pay base say... mom's garage or something just to spend the off times between gigs, you can make a lot of money.

Chris can we chat?

Chris in Richmond, California

73 months ago

YTL in Santa Fe, New Mexico said:

What can I do for you, YTL?

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio

69 months ago

I heard about the a-step program, they have modules or something, then you do 18 months of on the job training( it has to be paid ), then you qualify to sit for boards. I talked to a director of a program( there are not many programs that are accredited )and he said that some of his students drop out during clinicals to make about $16-17 an hour before taking the exam. Also the asst director of thr program just had a B.S and passed his boards, that it. He said most, in my area make around $20-22 to start. Look at monster.com, and others there are ton of openings. I too was thinking about going the training route. I did 1 year of occupational therapy, and am a junior at a college. I mean the salary seems good. However, i really wonder what the job availability is like.
I might do a vascular program thats accredited. It teaches EKG, Holter, stress testing, Vitals, and nuclear injection. Its only 6 months. Then do the on the job for sleep tech. However, does anyone know if this is a good route? Secondly, someone mentioned they make $17.80 after taxes. Isnt that on the low side for a registered sleep tech?..I am not being insulting and pardon if there was any ignorance to that. Its just from what I have been told, sleep techs should be making atleast $20.00 an hour if not more, and non- registered techs are suppose to make between $12-18 an hour.

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio

65 months ago

YTL in Hobbs, New Mexico said: My respiratory degree is from Kent state and Pitt Universtiy (AS,BS) (MS,Ph) from Walden universtiy.. RRT, RPSGT (Atlanta school of sleep to help prepare for test then, go to Texas school of sleep for the C.E.U's .. I need 20 a year for RRT and 50 for polysomnography or just take the sleep exam (give 4x a year I think) AFTER TAXES I make $17.80 a hour.

good luck

p.s. I don't have to drive to work.. I can walk to work I'm just to fat and lazy.
So, I save $4 dollar a gallon driving

YTL no way..lol. I am currently at kent( junior ) for science degree. I have looked at sleep. I might go for CCT( ekg tech/holter tech ), and try to get my foot in the door that way. I called the BRPT, I think it is called. Anyway, the guy was honest. He said some people do well and say its the easiest job they had, while others say its the worst. I have no schools I can go to around me for this. So I would have to find another way to slide in, OTJ training. However, I might just see if i can get into sales with a CCT and a degree. Not sure.

RhEaTh1121 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

I currently work in the Sterile proecssing field(over 8 yrs) and i'm very interested in taking the POLYSOMNOGRAPHY course. Theres a 10 day course from Mid-Atlantic School of Med. and it's accredited too. Did anybody take this course and if so, is it really accredited? Also, is there any jobs in PA or NJ with OTJ training availabity?

ashleigh in Enterprise, Alabama

54 months ago

Jack in Mountain View, California said: Darton College in Albany just started a program. It is an AS program. You will finish with 6 month's of experience, and able to stand for exam of RPSGT.

do you know of anyone that has done their nursing program? they have one at night for 2 nights of lectures and clinicals on sat and sun. let me know and thanks again!

jiml in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

CAM in Spring Hill, Florida said: yes, same around here 25 to start and closer to 30 with experience I was told

is that 25 to 30 an hour or 25-30k?

Prestige RT in Benton, Arkansas

53 months ago

People thinking about Respiratory School should really think twice before they launch into so much stress. There are not enough jobs now and the pay is getting lower all the time. Its really sad, but the market is flooded with Respiratory Schools and if u want to be smart choose a different career! That's the TRUTH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jiml in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

how is it that the pay is decreasing? I understand that the economy is affecting the number of jobs available, but as the cost of living continues to rise I don't see many people seeing a cut in pay.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.