San Joaquin Valley College - Rancho Cordova

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

imnotincorona in Corona, California

41 months ago

I can't speak for the northern half but us sjvc students down here in southern california, the inland empire in particular, are looked on quite well. We were viewed to be on par with loma linda grads and mount sac grads. The teachers were great and the education was awesome, our rotations only sucked with kindred. One program director for one of the county hospitals quit his job to teach at sjvc.

Job placement was over 90% until 2 years ago when everywhere suddenly clogged up with the economy. Now most new grads can only get registry jobs or temp hires.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ann in Visalia, California

39 months ago

I am an RT Student finishing my 3rd term at SJVC. It has been an great experience, the teaching staff is top notch. I have had clinical rotations at UC Davis, Sutter Memorial, and Mercy San Juan. At all of my clinical sites I hear comments from management and staff that they find SJVC students more knowledgable than others in general. I have noticed that most of the new hires at these sites are from SJVC. I would highly recommend the RRT program here. Good luck in your future, I hope this helps. Ann Brewer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anna in Carmichael, California

37 months ago

are they using TEAS test ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Sherman Oaks, California

37 months ago

I graduated from Rancho Cordova SJVC in OCT 2010. I think it is the lesser of 3 evils. ARC is going to take a while to get accepted and you already have to have your prerequisites done. I know a girl that went to Kaplan and she spent more money and did not get good clinical sites or some of the things we got at SJVC with her tuition. At SJVC, We had a large presence in the Sacramento area at all the major hospitals.
As far as i know, most everyone in my class has got a job by now. Most of them in the Sacramento area. Over all, Im happy with what i got out of it. I got my degree in 18 months with no other credits transferred in. I passed my CRT and RRT the first time and the school paid for it. I got Kettering and the school paid for half of it. I got my BLS PALS ACLS and NRP and the school paid for all of them. I got to work at Mercy, Sutter, Kaiser and UCD and had great experiences at all of them. We even got to try home health care and sleep lab.
Now the Bad. SJVC makes a lot of changes along the way. I think they have a few bugs in their curriculum that they are still trying to work out. They change instructors a lot. You should be prepared for some BS along the way. Other than that, I would recommend the program.
Good Luck, Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Casey in Citrus Heights, California

37 months ago

Can anyone tell me how the entrance tests were? I have an appointment to take the first one tomorrow and I am nervous about the math especially. My admission person told me that these determine if you are ready and the administrator ultimately has the last say. I think I may be overthinking this but not sure. Any advice or some tips on what to prepare myself for?? Thanks in advance! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tin in Sacramento, California

32 months ago

Mike in Sherman Oaks, California said: I graduated from Rancho Cordova SJVC in OCT 2010. I think it is the lesser of 3 evils. ARC is going to take a while to get accepted and you already have to have your prerequisites done. I know a girl that went to Kaplan and she spent more money and did not get good clinical sites or some of the things we got at SJVC with her tuition. At SJVC, We had a large presence in the Sacramento area at all the major hospitals.
As far as i know, most everyone in my class has got a job by now. Most of them in the Sacramento area. Over all, Im happy with what i got out of it. I got my degree in 18 months with no other credits transferred in. I passed my CRT and RRT the first time and the school paid for it. I got Kettering and the school paid for half of it. I got my BLS PALS ACLS and NRP and the school paid for all of them. I got to work at Mercy, Sutter, Kaiser and UCD and had great experiences at all of them. We even got to try home health care and sleep lab.
Now the Bad. SJVC makes a lot of changes along the way. I think they have a few bugs in their curriculum that they are still trying to work out. They change instructors a lot. You should be prepared for some BS along the way. Other than that, I would recommend the program.
Good Luck, Mike

Hi Mike,

I was interested in the Respiratory Program in Rancho Cordova as well. Do you happen to know any past alumni who have been through the program as well? I was just wondering they're experiences with the program and how they have progressed after. Thanks!

Tin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

OPA in Sacramento, California

26 months ago

I graduated from the RT school in Rancho Cordova, California. I heard form one of the current students recently that the program now costs $47,000. If it had cost that much when I went through, I would not have been able to enter the program. For that price, I could have taken the prerequisites for the American River College RT program, waited to get accepted to the RT program while taking online college courses toward my Bachelor's degree as a safety net and saved myself a bundle of money.

Once you are in the SJVC RT program, the experience of the current classroom educators, although knowledgable is week in terms of clinical knowledge. Most of the current instructors have experience in home health care and the one that had the most clinical experience may not be with the college anymore. At least, I have heard that he is not teaching anymore. Gained the most useful clinical knowledge from him. The rest of the instructors are textbook knowledgeable but can't tie the didactic with actual clinical experience. The college also treats you like children instead of adults.

Except for the one instructor who may no longer be there, much of the material presented was "death by Power-Point". I could have listened/learned from the experience of that one instructor all day without the rest of the BS (and I don't mean bachelor's degree here) thrown at you that could read from the textbook. I understand that the quality of the curriculum has been going down with the hiring of next instructors. That is probably the biggest problem the school has... lack of continuity.
Many of the graduates in my class do not recommend the program, especially at a price tag of $47000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Terese in Sacramento, California

25 months ago

I have just started the admissions process for the respiratory therapy program and was so excited to be going to a college where I can get in and out fast with a degree that will make some money. Upon further review, I have found A LOT of negative feedback. Is there anyone who can give me an up to date review? Is it true that the hospitals do not look at SJVC grads as being well trained? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Many of the graduates of the program are still looking for work in the greater Sacramento region since the SJVC program has been pumping students out like crazy. Feedback from many graduates are that they are happy to be out of a program that is run and operated so proorly. Few graduates recommend the program and are unhappy with the quality of education received by the current instructors. The newest addition to the faculty is an unintelligible physician who teaches there. Students simply cannot understand what he is saying. Then there is the question as to why he is teaching respiratory therapy classes in the first place? Can't get a job as a physician? What's that about?

As far as the quality of graduates coming out of the program... well the community is now finding that, since the start of 2013, many do not have a good reputation. It is not the graduates that are of concern but the steady decline in the quality of what they know and are capable of doing as graduates. I would suggest to stay clear of the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Tin in Sacramento, California said: Hi Mike,

I was interested in the Respiratory Program in Rancho Cordova as well. Do you happen to know any past alumni who have been through the program as well? I was just wondering they're experiences with the program and how they have progressed after. Thanks!

Tin

In addition to previous posted comments, note how SJVC Rancho Cordova campus has faired when taking the California Licensing Exam: www.rcb.ca.gov/forms_pubs/prog_passfail_2010-12.pdf

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

16 months ago

I don't know why, but SJVC has a really good reputation as an RT school.

When I applied for the RT residency at Children's Hospital L.A., I would say 80% of their residents were from San Joaquin VC.

I hear their program is really good. I didn't go there.

RCPRRT in Rancho Cordova, California

16 months ago

It's $47,000 tuition.

You could go to ARC, or Butte, or Napa, or Ohlone, or Skyline, or any Community College anywhere and spend 1/8th that price.

You could Bachelors from a UC for same price as an AAS from SJVC.

That's all the info you really need. And the only decision you should come to is: Go somewhere else.

Brandy Rae in San Diego, California

15 months ago

I'm looking in to going to SJVC in Temecula. I like the fact that it's WASC accredited, so I can transfer all of my credits to a UC. I also like the fact that the prerequisites are included in the program, so I don't have to take them first, then wait to see if I get accepted. I also enjoy the fact that there is no wait list. I'm not enjoying the fact that the tuition is $43K, but to be out of school and working in 18 months, with my A.S., and the ability to transfer to a UC is pretty cool. I was considering vocational colleges, but I would hate to put in all of that work and not be able to transfer, since that is ultimately what I plan to do.

Anyway, there's my two-cents on SJVC. We'll see what happens, but at the moment, I'm at that "bite the bullet" phase and I'm willing to pay the tuition.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.