Travel Therapist ???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 500 of 524)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

Daniel_RT in Georgetown, Colorado

38 months ago

Ernest cruz in Houston, Texas said: Why do you think things will be better if Obammacare is shot down? Don't think more people being insured would translate into more staff needed to take care of these people? Thats the financial side of it. What about the human side to it? Don't you believe that everybody should have access to healthcare just like me and yourself? I don't understand your statement about Obammacare being shot down. Can you explain why you think that would be better? To leave 43,000,000 people out in the cold with no coverage? You care about people? Are you getting into healthcare to help people or are just believing all the special interest groups that stand to lose millions if obammacare sees the light of day? I hope you're never stuck with a chronic condition and with no insurance. Good luck. You won't be able to get help anywhere. Can't go to ER as if you're having a heart attack or something because your chronic conditon isn't urgent. Isn't going to kill you today so they will send you home. Millions of people live with that in this so called best place to live in the world. But please explain your position Mike. Oh and please don't use the old tired argument that it will break the nation. Our overly expensive and getting more expensive healthcare is breaking our nation. So please think for yourself and not repeat what you hear. Tell me what you think from your heart and then maybe people such as Chris and cbsboaz wouldn't be so angry with you. More to the point, perhaps their comments shouldn't have been deleted either because everybody here should have a voice and that voice shouldn't be distorted through yours or anybody elses interpretations. But then again I guess people feel threatened when there is money to be lost. I myself believe in making money but not at the expense of a human life or suffering. Sorry but that's just how I feel.

Thanks Ernest - I agree with you 1000%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel_RT in Georgetown, Colorado

38 months ago

lolo in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Get out of Phoenix there are probably 200-300 newgrads all fighting for one spot that randomly opens JCL just let 10 therapists go now you have those 10 people looking in Phoenix now and they all have experience, if you want to be an RRT move out of AZ

I applied for a job at a temp agency in AZ - they got back with me and said "whatever you do - DON'T come out here" - never had an agency tell me that before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TLee in Duluth, Minnesota

37 months ago

Hi, I'm a CRT/RRT eligible with 10 years experience. I'm considering taking the plunge into the travel RT world. Our dream is to travel to the warmer states in the winter and come back north in the winter. I'm wondering if I should try to get on with a travel company or would I be better off applying for PRN positions. We would be traveling and living out of our RV (semi-retirement). Any advise??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

k in London, Ontario

37 months ago

Just wondering if anyone knows any recruiters that hire Canadian respiratory therapists for permanent work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

k in London, Ontario

37 months ago

Should also mention that I have 1 Yr work experience and would really prefer Orlando Florida area. Since I have kids really need something permanent.

Mark RCP in Texas

37 months ago

TLee in Duluth, Minnesota said: Hi, I'm a CRT/RRT eligible with 10 years experience. I'm considering taking the plunge into the travel RT world. Our dream is to travel to the warmer states in the winter and come back north in the winter. I'm wondering if I should try to get on with a travel company or would I be better off applying for PRN positions. We would be traveling and living out of our RV (semi-retirement). Any advise??

This again goes out to all interested in Travel. No agency will hire any RT without having 1 yr and now most require you have 3yrs travel experience.No matter how long you have been an RT or what experiences you may have. Also there is NO guarantee that you will the "dream" job in FL or Hawaii. The way travel work is where the needs are not warm states in winter and vice versa for summer. As RT's we all know that the colder states get and have the highest need and so forth. Fl, GA, MS,TX have had no travel needs and Tx has has had some, but Hi will most likely see a drop in needs for travel as they have gone to licensure and its 500+. The agencies want a seasoned traveler this comes from the Hospital wanting a traveler that knows how to work alone, knows multiple vents, abg machines, can handle high risk c-sections and neonates all in one. The RTs on staff will only show you around and your on your own for 13weeks, if you in a bigger facilty(but most time you will be in a smaller 25 bed or less) you have someone to ask or fall back on for help but after doing this for 4yrs now and working 25 to 450 bed hospitals they want an traveler they do not have to shadow or constantly show how to do things, also having EMR training (meditech,epic) is major plus. Remember also each state requires a license except Alaska and an agency/hospital will not wait for you to get in as so many take 4wk to months to get depending on documents that they need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lina in Tallahassee, Florida

36 months ago

anita in Orlando, Florida said: I wouldn mind relocating, but I need a job b4 I make the relocation!! Is really frustratin...if I don't get hired, I will never get the experience they ask for!

Anita do u live in Orlando ?? N were u able to find a job by now ?

Anita in Orlando, Florida

36 months ago

To Lisa in Tallahassee...no, been a year and have not found a job .

chris in Albertville, Alabama

36 months ago

Anita in Orlando, Florida said: To Lisa in Tallahassee...no, been a year and have not found a job .

Don't feel bad about not finding a job after a year. It's been about 2 and half years for me after graduating in 2009 and still no job. I live in a state where students are cheap labor. Yes they still allow students to work as therapists in this state. The only job I've been able to find has been as a receptionist in a nursing home where I watch ignorant LPN's give breathing treatments without checking heart rate, SpO2, or breathe sounds pre or post treatment. Which basically says they have no idea as to why they're giving the treatment. It might as well be something they're doing just to bill for something. Because without the clinical evidence in the medical chart it's what it looks like on paper. One night I had to pull a patient off a breathing treatment because a nurse literally refused to do it after the patient had been on it for 30 minutes. She wanted to delegate that responsibility to a CNA. Which by law she isn't allowed to do. From what I've seen of nurses in nursing homes it seems they'll let anything slide as long as the patient doesn't end up dead.

Anita in Orlando, Florida

36 months ago

WOW!!!!!! For some reason it doesn surprise me. The majority of LPN's workin in nursing homes have no clue what they're doing. I think that's the case in every facility. Its so sad and scary at the same time. They always wanna blame the CNA just to cover vtheir behind. I know this cause I was a CNA. I called 30 nursing homes one day and didn't get anything. Been gettin rejected everywhere I apply. And the messed up part about all this is, is that I work in a freakin hosp for 10 years now. Same freakin company, and all my transfers r somehow rejected, or I never hear from them. I gave up lookin for a job. I'm takin my RRT next week and when I pass it, ill start all over again. Apparently, facilities want RRT, and not CRT's. To me is the same thing. The only dif is that u have to pay $400 to change title.

Mark RCP in Texas

36 months ago

Anita in Orlando, Florida said: WOW!!!!!! For some reason it doesn surprise me. The majority of LPN's workin in nursing homes have no clue what they're doing. I think that's the case in every facility. Its so sad and scary at the same time. They always wanna blame the CNA just to cover vtheir behind. I know this cause I was a CNA. I called 30 nursing homes one day and didn't get anything. Been gettin rejected everywhere I apply. And the messed up part about all this is, is that I work in a freakin hosp for 10 years now. Same freakin company, and all my transfers r somehow rejected, or I never hear from them. I gave up lookin for a job. I'm takin my RRT next week and when I pass it, ill start all over again. Apparently, facilities want RRT, and not CRT's. To me is the same thing. The only dif is that u have to pay $400 to change title.

I really feel for all the new grads and one's that have been out there looking for work, but blame should be pointed at the schools that pump out so many RT's that there is NO shortage,contrary to what everone believes. Nursing schools have a strong board but not RTs , we have the micky mouse AARC who fills everyones head with un-truths that they support each and everyone of us, but I know for fact after being a traveling RT now for 4yrs and yes I have met alot of RTs in those yrs that they no longer support the boards and to believe there is No difference between a CRT and RRT and NO a RRT letter makes you more professional neither does a BS. Do you really care if the Nurse your working next to has a BSN, to me No. I only care about her/his skill and competance with what is the most important the pt care.Alot will disagree perhaps but I have met more Nurse's and RTs in my yrs so I can stand for what I say.Also I have had plenty of RRT tell me they would rather have a CRT work on them vs a RRT,just truth in fact. But yes I do have AAS not a one year degree and they all assume with my CRT I have a one year degree>>

Mark RCP in Texas

36 months ago

Cont from above;;
All this comes from the money grubbing NBRC and the states that want only RRTs and hospital HR's that have drank the same koolaid and believe that a CRT is worthless. They need to realize that there are alot of out of work or not even found work RTs out there and give them the oppotunity to get on board with a local hospital. The other problem comes from state boards that require all RTs to have a license to practice in each state, whick makes it hard for anyone to move to find work as I have found over the years as a traveling RT. So some blame is with each state board as licensure is just a money maker to help there budgets I as Cali and Wa state and assume others as there fees have risen over the years and know HI has a pricey license. We need a comapct like nursing so we can do our job and move if we want without all the red tape.

Ora in Springfield, Oregon

36 months ago

Anyone on this forum had been working for MaximHealth? I am thinking about joining them.

OraP in Clackamas, Oregon

36 months ago

Does anyone on this forum know about MaximHealth? I am considering join them to work in CA. Thanks

Heidiful in Ronkonkoma, New York

34 months ago

kyjelled said: I had looked into club staffing and they told me all kinds of things that made me jump for joy, but everything was fine until they contacted my current manager for whom I still worked for. The next day I got a call saying they couldn't work with my references and good luck in my endevers. When I called back to see what happened ( my bosses said they gave me great above average reference), they never called me and ignored my phone calls. Til this day I have no clue what happened. If any body might have a clue, please reply.

I know I'm responding to an old post, but I'm having a problem with references. I just got an offer, interviewed, etc. the manager was super nice and put the offer out to Club Staffing (one of the companies I'm working with). First they told me they needed references before they could submit me anywhere, so I gave them the names of two people. I am a cath lab nurse, but the last cath lab I worked in full time was 5 years ago. Since then I've been doing private duty, IV infusion therapy and taking care of very sick patients (ok, so it was in the home). My manager from the cath lab gave other travel companies a reference, but Club Staffing claims that JCAHO needs references within the past two years!! I had a friend who is a Supervisor at a large teaching hospital in Manhattan and who I worked with years ago. She gave me an excellent reference. Then she calls me back and says that the Club Staffing contacted the private agency I was working for and they told her that they never heard of her. I've been worried all weekend that come Monday morning they're going to call me a liar. Wouldn't they want a reference from someone who managed me in the cath lab? Ever since JCAHO started invading the travel industry, it's gone down hill (including the pay). This is a great opportunity and the manager wants to hire me. Doesn't that say enough? Any advice or help would be appreciated. I can't afford to lose this job.

Tasha in Calumet City, Illinois

33 months ago

John in Sacramento, California said: Anyone know what the pay is around in San Francisco? I have a friend who is traveling and was offered $26 in Stanford, CA. It seemed like she was being low balled. I am also looking into being a RT too.

Thank you

That is crazy!!!For california...I'm a new grad and was offered $26 to start in chicago.

Mark RCP in Texas

33 months ago

Tasha in Calumet City, Illinois said: That is crazy!!!For california...I'm a new grad and was offered $26 to start in chicago.

To the quote of thats crazy..26 for travel is good expecially in todays economy. For the fact if that is real travel not agency pay, alot out there do not know the difference between the two. Travel means you go state to state or within your own state but has to 150 miles outside your home location, also 26$ and if travel will be per diem pay that ranges from x amt a day, plus other perks which is better than all you make because housing is paid for or you take a nice stipend. Now 26$ hr for per pay in cali I assume is bad and probably is since I do not live there but I do pay rates for true travel. I make anywhere from 30 -40 hr with housing so I will always come out on top versus fulltime pay and no bills to pay for housing..

scott in Little Rock, Arkansas

33 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knew how the job market was in or around Chicago??

frgeor in Amarillo, Texas

32 months ago

hi susan your very helpful! i wonder if you can answer a few more questions..what if you travel with a fifth wheel, how do they compensate for that? how do you get licensed in other states? can you request a specialty? IE: adult critical care , because where i currently work they we abused travelers greatly, worst assgn, floor therapy or pedi! How do you determine how much tax free money? How do you recieve mail when your traveling? thanks!

ehumphries in Camden, South Carolina

32 months ago

I am seeking information on travel work. I only have a license in one state, do I need to acquire another state license or can I do that later? What are some states that need respiratory therapist? The job market where I work has a bad outlook I have been seeking work for a year now, I have 5+ years experience.

jencrt in Enterprise, Alabama

30 months ago

Thinking of traveling got some questions. If they provide housing would i be taxed at the end of the year on the value of the housing they pay?

Mark RCP in Texas

30 months ago

jencrt in Enterprise, Alabama said: Thinking of traveling got some questions. If they provide housing would i be taxed at the end of the year on the value of the housing they pay?

There is no tax on any travel assignment except the pay you make. The tax subsidies come from the IRS as to what each company is allowed and how much they pay for housing, a cap. Every time you go on an assignment housing is figured into your pay ,the hospital pays the company ie: 120 hr then your pay after for housing,electricity etc is what you make..its state to state and company to company as far your pay..usually 20+ an hr and then per-diem pay. The only time your taxed is when you take a living stipend which is higher..
But anyone considering travel in this time of the year would be very hard and no travel experience will hinder you. Most only take a seasoned or one year travel experience, your work experience is also a factor but does not apply to travel that you may need, its due to many places you go needing a therapist that can hit the floor running with little or no orientation.

Ora in Sylmar, California

30 months ago

I am RRT with ICU/CCU/ED back ground over 20 years still unable to find job because my lack of experience in NICU and PICU. New grad today have much better chance than me because the pay rate is much cheaper and company can train you the way they wanted to. There are trend that they are trying to get the long time RT with less skills out of the job as well to save the company money.

30 months ago

Thanks mark I am actually just thinking ahead my last kid graduates in 3 years and I was thinking of hitting the road. Have done this for 10 years worked alone at times for a while I was only thearpist. On nights and we have no nicu. So we keep them going till a bigger hospital. Can come get them.

Mark RCP in Texas

30 months ago

jencrt in Enterprise, Alabama said: Thanks mark I am actually just thinking ahead my last kid graduates in 3 years and I was thinking of hitting the road. Have done this for 10 years worked alone at times for a while I was only thearpist. On nights and we have no nicu. So we keep them going till a bigger hospital. Can come get them.

I know from experience expecially these days also with no NICU ,will be a hard thing too not to have. I was in your situation from 01 to 07 when I quit the 60bed hospital with no NICU but I did all high-risk c-sections, so when I started travel in late 07 that was when there was alot of needs for ICU RTs but now days with the demand down for travel snd costs for traveler NICU needs are higher.
So now I ended the travel game as its very stressful at times and the need for RRT only too. I made a good living out of it till this year as I have decided to retire and move on to a better career in Public health. Which inturn I will be a boss not just a worker bee. So if your a CRT as I see by your name and want to stay in the field,RRT is the way now.sad but true.

Mark RCP in Texas

30 months ago

Ora in Sylmar, California said: I am RRT with ICU/CCU/ED back ground over 20 years still unable to find job because my lack of experience in NICU and PICU. New grad today have much better chance than me because the pay rate is much cheaper and company can train you the way they wanted to. There are trend that they are trying to get the long time RT with less skills out of the job as well to save the company money.

Actaully new grads have a harder time getting hired as they and this comes from many Managers and Supervisors as they are a liabilty as far as cost to train etc..just from what I have seen in travlel. Older more expereinced RTs are in more of need as they have skill and years behind them and well mature and bring more to the table as the newer ones have no clue in skill, maturity and abilty to interact with Drs and Nurse's this is has been told to by many as they appreciate a mature RT..sorry to all newer grads but truth is truth.

So if you can be open to NICU/PICU training take it,but I never found it hard to get a job as there are many who want adult only and those who want babys and peds. And you have your RRT which will help ,just may have to get out of cali..licensure is the only drawback to each state but may be worth it ..look at other states in there need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

OraP in Clackamas, Oregon

29 months ago

Mark RCP in Texas said: Actaully new grads have a harder time getting hired as they and this comes from many Managers and Supervisors as they are a liabilty as far as cost to train etc..just from what I have seen in travlel. Older more expereinced RTs are in more of need as they have skill and years behind them and well mature and bring more to the table as the newer ones have no clue in skill, maturity and abilty to interact with Drs and Nurse's this is has been told to by many as they appreciate a mature RT..sorry to all newer grads but truth is truth.

So if you can be open to NICU/PICU training take it,but I never found it hard to get a job as there are many who want adult only and those who want babys and peds. And you have your RRT which will help ,just may have to get out of cali..licensure is the only drawback to each state but may be worth it ..look at other states in there need.

Thank you Mark! I am planing to do so because I still love being RCP but the market is saturated with new grads as well. Even with lots of good connections, I still having a hard time finding a job. I did venture out to neigboring state but have to come back to CA because my kids are here. One more year before she is done with highschool.

DIANE in Akron, Ohio

28 months ago

Anita in Orlando, Florida said: WOW!!!!!! For some reason it doesn surprise me. The majority of LPN's workin in nursing homes have no clue what they're doing. I think that's the case in every facility. Its so sad and scary at the same time. They always wanna blame the CNA just to cover vtheir behind. I know this cause I was a CNA. I called 30 nursing homes one day and didn't get anything. Been gettin rejected everywhere I apply. And the messed up part about all this is, is that I work in a freakin hosp for 10 years now. Same freakin company, and all my transfers r somehow rejected, or I never hear from them. I gave up lookin for a job. I'm takin my RRT next week and when I pass it, ill start all over again. Apparently, facilities want RRT, and not CRT's. To me is the same thing. The only dif is that u have to pay $400 to change title.

NO A CRT AND AN RRT ARE NOT THE SAME THING. THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH OUR PROFESSION. IT IS A MATTER OF EDUCATION. THAT IS LIKE SAYING AN LPN AND AN RN ARE THE SAME. OBVIOUSLY YOU LACK EDUCATION!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michele in Henderson, Nevada

28 months ago

DIANE in Akron, Ohio said: NO A CRT AND AN RRT ARE NOT THE SAME THING. THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH OUR PROFESSION. IT IS A MATTER OF EDUCATION. THAT IS LIKE SAYING AN LPN AND AN RN ARE THE SAME. OBVIOUSLY YOU LACK EDUCATION!!!!!

what can an RRT do that a CRT cannot?????

28 months ago

michele in Henderson, Nevada said: what can an RRT do that a CRT cannot?????

an RN and lpn have 2 totally differnt scopes of practice. What is the difference other than education between the RRT and the CRT?

DIANE in Akron, Ohio

28 months ago

OraP in Clackamas, Oregon said: Does anyone on this forum know about MaximHealth? I am considering join them to work in CA. Thanks

LOVE MAXIM

DIANE in Akron, Ohio

28 months ago

NO A CRT AND AN RRT ARE NOT THE SAME. IT IS A MATTER OF EDUCATION. IS AN LPN THE SAME AS AN RN? I THOUGHT YOU WERE EDUCATED.

anita in Orlando, Florida

28 months ago

RRT and CRT r exactly the same thing. Is the same 2 year program anywhere in the world. From CRT to RRT is just a test that is similar to the CRT one. The only difference is that costs $400. ONLY DIFFERENCE! RN and LPN is completetly different. RN is WAY more intense and more school years. These days you can be an lPN in 9 months, which is ridiculous and scary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I have been a cry for 10 years I had to small children and never took my test I did ketttering seminars for my RRT then never took the test but there are a lot of RRT that I have came across that scare me. But I know gets that can run circle around try. Just saying.

Anita in Winter Springs, Florida

28 months ago

What did you try to say??? You make no sense.

28 months ago

Anita in Winter Springs, Florida said: What did you try to say??? You make no sense.

Anita, can you imagine the charting ????

anita in Winter Springs, Florida

28 months ago

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!! I will pay money to see that charting!!!!

N105 in Livingston, New Jersey

27 months ago

Hi. Im a resp therapist in a hospital that rotates their therapists through all of the units. I will be approaching 3 years in november this year and I have some experience working in a Burn unit but not in a trauma center. I was thinking of becoming a travelling RT but I'm not sure if i meet the qualifications. Most of my experience (and preference) is with adults. Things that concern me are that I only have experience with one kind of vent (servo I) and my PICU/NICU experience is minimal. How does each assignment go about training a new traveller? About how long do you train at a new facility (including learning their charting systems) before you are on your own? im really nervous about how the first assignment would be transitioning from working at one hospital my entire respiratory career. how was it for you?

Tishica in Stony Brook, New York

25 months ago

Quick question, what kind of experience is required to work as a respiratory therapist? Also, in the times between the places where you get contracted to, do you get paid for it?
I will be graduating in june of this year with a bs in rc. i just wanted to see what my options were.

7Angels in Manhattan, New York

25 months ago

Tishica in Stony Brook, New York said: Quick question, what kind of experience is required to work as a respiratory therapist? Also, in the times between the places where you get contracted to, do you get paid for it?
I will be graduating in june of this year with a bs in rc. i just wanted to see what my options were.

After you graduate, you need to get 1-2 years of experience before you travel. I was a travel nurse, but the same rules apply. Also, you don't get paid in between assignments. It's contract work, so you only get paid for the time you are on your assignment which is usually 13 weeks, but you may have the option to extend your contract. Also, any time taken off during your contract is not paid either. There are pros and cons. Hope this helps.

7Angels in Manhattan, New York

25 months ago

jencrt in Enterprise, Alabama said: Thinking of traveling got some questions. If they provide housing would i be taxed at the end of the year on the value of the housing they pay?

I have extensive experience in traveling as an RN and to answer your question CORRECTLY, unless you maintain a residence in your home state where you pay taxes, mortgage and return to in between assignments, your housing is tax free. If you do not own property, the housing will be taxed as income whether you take the company's housing or the subsidy. If the company offers you "free" housing...yes...it's free, but you will be taxed on it, as it is considered income. Talk to your accountant before you do anything.

vaw in Dallas, Texas

24 months ago

i have been looking to travel with a company for awhile. can anyone recommand a reliable, trueful, and honest company to apply for. i have been a therapist a long time with many years of experience and not afraid of hard work.

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

24 months ago

vaw in Dallas, Texas said: i have been looking to travel with a company for awhile. can anyone recommand a reliable, trueful, and honest company to apply for. i have been a therapist a long time with many years of experience and not afraid of hard work.

As many of us have posted on here over the past months many travel companies that handle RTs will be hesitant to hire someone without previous travel experience. You can have all the experience and you probably do but if you have never worked alone or in small or even large hospitals this would be a NO.The way it goes is that you will most likely and the locations depends on where you have license to practice in that state. Contracts are from one end to the other of the US and hospital size varies from 25 no ER/or with an ER, ICU and OB of which you have to know how to do High risk c-sections and handle vents on your own or work a 450+ hospital and only work the floor. In all cases you only may get one day of orientation as they do NOT have time to train you in there vents so knowing all the vents is a major plus. You have to think on your own as in a small hospital your the only RT. The more skills like ekgs, abgs etc will help you but most companies and it comes from the facilty looking is experience in travel most times it is 1yr min. I have been traveling for 5yrs now and know all vents ,do high risk c-sections, ekgs,abgs and handle the whole hospital alone and that comes with years and respect that I can handle anything. Also travelers are sometimes the one that takes the brunt of the workload since your the fill in as it is the nature of travel.

R Wing in Buffalo, New York

21 months ago

To all those considering a move to travel, here is my background and here is what to consider.
I have over three years travel experience, and over 14 years experience as an RRT. I have worked as staff in Large Level I Trauma Centers in Cleveland, Ohio and Rochester, NY. I also did a travel assignment at Yale-New Haven Hospital (1000+beds) for four months. I also have worked in medium to small hospitals as staff and as a traveler. I have operated almost every type of ventilator ever made, etc...etc... I have worked in large NICU's and PICU's, ventilated fresh pediatric heart patients, used Nitric and Flolan in the OR with adult heart patients, etc...etc... I even worked in homecare for two years as an RRT then Center Manager. I pretty much have done it all.
Traveling is alot of fun, but you have to be able to adapt and overcome workload, difficult personalities, different equipment, people who are jealous of travelers, people who hate travelers, MD's who you have to prove your worth to, etc... No matter how good you are, you are always proving yourself to someone as a traveler, and that can be very difficult for some people. You have to be extroverted. You have to be confident, not smug. You need to prove to the supervisors and managers that you are skilled, believe me they are watching!! It is not easy, but if you can master the game and get your contracts renewed then you are doing well. You need to be thick-skinned, people will say mean things to you on occasion. Like when a supervisor told me that, "People travel because they cannot cut it as staff in a Hospital." I just laughed at her because she only worked in the same hospital for most of her career and she would never make it as a traveler. She was not well liked at "Her" hospital. She was burned out and miserable.
When I started traveling I had seven years as an RRT and five in acute care. I had NICU and PICU experience, which looks good on your profile. Get your NRP and ACLS at the very least!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

R Wing in Buffalo, New York

21 months ago

continued.... Market yourself to the recruiter's at several different companies. Make sure you get everything promised in writing, never sign a contract until you see promises in writing. Be ready to be without work for a few weeks or longer, because in this economy traveling is tough. Have money to apply for several state licenses and only get licenses where you really want to work, and more importantly where the work IS!!! All states require you to verify previous licenses, whether active or inactive, so be prepared for a TON of paperwork, faxes, etc... I once got a Colorado license but never worked there, even so, if I apply for another state license I still have to verify Colorado. This paperwork can take weeks, especially if you are working shifts and busy with life! If you are a recreational drug user, you can forget about traveling. You will be tested before each and every assignment and at random, so forget about the occasional ganja toke or worse. It takes a DESIRE to travel, meet new people, learn how to do things differently, prove yourself, etc... Do not travel for the NEED to work or if you are not somewhat financially secure, because you could be without an assignment for weeks or more.
Get experience, save some cash, then decide if that life is for you. If so, then DO IT, you can do anything you put your mind to. I had a ton of fun as a traveler. I met many cool and knowledgeable people along the way. Currently, I am thinking about traveling again, but the economy has to recover and jobs have to open up before I commit to that life again. Anyway, thanks for listening, any questions feel free to ask!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Cicero, New York

21 months ago

I have over 11 years experience as a staff employee and tired of all the politics and low pay! Considering travel. What is the forecast these days?

21 months ago

Ann in Cicero, New York said: I have over 11 years experience as a staff employee and tired of all the politics and low pay! Considering travel. What is the forecast these days?

Hard to say especially being a new year but good thing for us as RTs the flu has finally hit vs other years where it was non-existant.
But what many that have or last few posts fail to tell you and most that travel is not everyone also you have to have travel experience,many companies only want experienced travelers being a min of 1yr to some wanting 3yrs. This does not count to your years at a hospital being fulltime staff. This experience comes from the hospital looking for traveler do to having to be on your own or with other RTs. Many that have worked FT have not worked by themselves and alot of places one may go have only you on as the RT. Knowing everything in RT is the key also and to know every vent, piece of equipment, exp in Ekgs. POINT- travel may come up but with a state license they will pass you up,its a game when trying to know which ones to have to possibly get, having a good recruiter if you decide to travel will know and have feel for our feild,bad point many recruiters are in-experienced as they came into this area from sales etc no medical knowledge. Travel is a game of wait and see sometimes and you still have a Director interview on top of what the travel company wants from you.

Kellie in Mesa, Arizona

16 months ago

I have been working for the last seven years in a large hospital in AZ and now I am ready to move to traveling. This is what my goal has always been but wanted some experience under my belt first. Now that the time has come I'm very nervous about giving up a full time gig for traveling. Are there still positions out there? I am eager to try anywhere. At my hospital there were jobs a few years back but we haven't used travelers for the last 2 or 3 years so I'm nervous. I will be traveling with my teenage daughter so "living in a box" when I'm unemployed is NOT an option!! So I want to be sure before I get myself into something. Anyone out there still traveling? Is it rough to find new assignments or do you keep busy?

16 months ago

Well to begin would be keep your current job...... and while working you can start contacting all or some of the companies that work with RTs in travel. If you quit now you will be in the same situation as most are no job. With most and what I have learned is a little information is all they need to get your profile active in case a need comes up, I never supply references since they like to call without you knowing, bothering the reference and if they call numerous times from different companies its a annoying, more to just provide an email only.
Licensure-- each state requires one and takes 4wks to months to get everything from previous states and process it and its gamble in which state you need one especially these days with contracts popping up with little notice. The needs are so-so know since its summer and no flu/rsv so where to go is very hard to say.
One travel to stay away from is for the reservations, they are nightmare assignments.
Experience- many that I work for and but not all want at least 1yr to 3yrs of travel experience, this comes from the facility not the agency. This is due to having to be on the floor with no to little orientation. Knowing as many vents, other modes of therapy, meditech, epic all help to get you noticed when the resume is submitted to the manager.
Traveling with a teenager is new one, many travel with a pet or 2 or a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend. So I would 100% positive that your daughter wants to be on the road a lot, being possibly in a place with nothing to do while your at work, possible living in a extended stay or a small apartment etc.
I know this from the 6yrs of travel and living in places that are small to very isolated. Assignments come up but the choice of a city, small town or location is a toss-up.

So all things to consider. If you need more info let me know.

Kellie in Mesa, Arizona

16 months ago

Yes I plan on working my current job untill something comes up but don't want to go to one assignment and then have nothing come up after that. Have you stayed busy. Are you able to go from on job to the next?

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.