Trying to get back to RT after 10 years

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

bruingal in Dallas, Texas

54 months ago

I have a bachelors degree, have my RRT credential with the NBRC, and worked 3 years in several large hospitals (some teaching hopitals) before I left to try to have a "normal" life and work in a corporate job in finance. After all of these years, I decided I missed helping people, being an RT, and just the profession and field itself. I was passionate about it back then, but I left because being in my 20's I was selfish and hated working nights and holidays and eventually wanted a family and didn't feel like it would be conducive to what I wanted.

Has anyone left the field after many years and gotten back into it? How did you do it? What do you recommend?

I know technology (like vents and pharmacology) have changed a lot, but the basic principles still taught in school are still fresh in my brain as if it was only yesterday I passed my RRT exams. I still can go through the motions in my brain of performing ABG's, trach care, suctioning, chest compressions during codes, calibrating the ABG machine, reviewing charts, sitting through reports, setting up vents...like it was yesterday.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I'm so anxious to get back. My family is older (I'm in my 30's) and can handle weird hours..and I know hours/days will suck since I'll essentially be brand new again. But I'm willing to give up my "cush" job to be back in what I originally studied to do.

My credential is still good (inactive, but not expired). And I'm in the process of applying for my state license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RRT crusader in Richmond, British Columbia

54 months ago

Bad timing ! You should have done that 5-6 years ago, in the years of 2004 to 2006. Employers where the ones chasing the Respiratory Therapists to put you on their payroll . Nowadays, you'll be lucky to find a posting for Respiratory Therapist.

Good Luck !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tad in Dallas, Texas

28 months ago

Hi. I'm in the D/FW area also and am an RRT wanting to get back into the field. I know it has been a long time since you posted this, but I was wanting to contact you and see if you had any luck. If you can help in any way, I'd really appreciate it. I'll check back for a reply. I hope things worked out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.