Why you shouldn't go to RT school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Adam in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

I have seen a lot of questions on here asking if RT is a good job, should I go to RT school, etc. So here is one reason why you shouldn't:

Yes, the field, if not already, is about to be saturated. We can thank all of the tech and vocational schools for that (and the NBRC for giving them accreditation). It's quite simple really. See, the RT profession has seen its day. Unfortunately, it's dying before it ever really took off. Instead of promoting the profession and moving forward, the tech schools are pumping out students so fast who are poorly educated, and are taking the profession back to the "inhalation therapy" days. It's simply supply and demand. When you have so many students graduating each year, and they all apply for one position, they will take the position whether it pays 15/hr or 30/hr. You have to pay off your student load debt somehow, right? So while the other therapy professions (speech and swallow, physical and occupational) have made a masters degree the standard, we have stepped back to the tech school diploma/degree, which in most cases, is not even transferable to a real college to finish a bachelors. The NBRC should be working toward making a bachelors the minimum and getting rid of the CRT credential all together, but they have done the exact opposite. Aside from that, I have seen these student from a local tech school and I am now more ashamed of my profession then ever. The lack of knowledge and education that these students receive is pitiful and clearly shows that these school don't care who you are, as long as you sign the dotted line and pay up. The professions is in a downward spiral, and anyone attempting to enter this career should turn around and find something else. Aside from the saturated market and lack of respect, the job itself is very limited and you will do the same exact thing every day for the rest of your life. Most RT's I know are trying to get out of the profession. Save yourself the time and energy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

I agree with you in some points that NBRC does nothing to improve RT profession. All they want money. But as you can see, it isn't easy to get into hospital to work if you graduated from a tech/vocational school all they require you to have RRT and tech/vocational school can't offer that. As in couple of years, I believe you need at least BS degree to be qualify to get your entry exam.
Not only RT job now saturated and down fall but every field right now are the same because of economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Pico Rivera, California

51 months ago

COARC regulates schools NOT the NBRC. The NBRC is the credentialing body that is responsible for the examinations. COARC is the one you should be venting about as they are the ones who give accredidation to RT schools. Also, there was no step backwards, trade schools have always been around, so it's more of a stagnation then a step backwards. Not all of the trade schools are horrible either. RT has progressed but it is what it is; a focus on one organ. It's a good starting point in the medical field if anything else but probably not an end all if you have higher aspirations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Pico Rivera, California

51 months ago

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California said: I agree with you in some points that NBRC does nothing to improve RT profession. All they want money. But as you can see, it isn't easy to get into hospital to work if you graduated from a tech/vocational school all they require you to have RRT and tech/vocational school can't offer that. As in couple of years, I believe you need at least BS degree to be qualify to get your entry exam.
Not only RT job now saturated and down fall but every field right now are the same because of economy.

That is completely incorrect. Almost all "trade" schools are now RRT only. If you graduated a few years ago that may be correct, in which case you simply petition the NBRC to sit for the RRT after having 2 years of acute care experience. A BS degree will most likely never be a minimum requirement. At least not until nursing makes it a requirment. You are correct in that the recession has affect all proffessions not just RT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WTF in Birmingham, Alabama

51 months ago

I myself went to a trade school and I find it VERY offensive that you would say that people from trade schools are ill educated. Trade schools are simply for those who cannot meet the demands of a university. There are some of us who had to work full time and go to school. Trade schools understand this, and make the classes fit into your schedule unlike universities. I dont think that a bachelors has anything to do with being a good RT. and why should a BS be a min for RT when RN degrees are offered in two years. You are very bitter, and maybe you should get into another profession, I would hate to be your patient!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I don't know why people get upset with the BS requirement? Nursing is nursing, RT is RT. Everything needs to be improve. It just likes the PT before required BS, now they require to have MS.
I completely agree that people from the trade school aren't ill educated. I don't know why he tried to offense people like that. I think he can't find a job after he graduated and blame on everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Saint Firmin in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

wow, I was saying the same thing and the two year folks got all bent out of shape, so watch what you say when you talk about BS vs AS. it is like people do not understand the politics and get emotional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob T in Broadview Heights, Ohio

51 months ago

Yes, the field, if not already, is about to be saturated. We can thank all of the tech and vocational schools for that (and the NBRC for giving them accreditation). It's quite simple really. See, the RT profession has seen its day. Unfortunately, it's dying before it ever really took off. Instead of promoting the profession and moving forward, the tech schools are pumping out students so fast who are poorly educated, and are taking the profession back to the "inhalation therapy" days. It's simply supply and demand. When you have so many students graduating each year, and they all apply for one position, they will take the position whether it pays 15/hr or 30/hr. You have to pay off your student load debt somehow, right? So while the other therapy professions (speech and swallow, physical and occupational) have made a masters degree the standard, we have stepped back to the tech school diploma/degree, which in most cases, is not even transferable to a real college to finish a bachelors. The NBRC should be working toward making a bachelors the minimum and getting rid of the CRT credential all together, but they have done the exact opposite. Aside from that, I have seen these student from a local tech school and I am now more ashamed of my profession then ever. The lack of knowledge and education that these students receive is pitiful and clearly shows that these school don't care who you are, as long as you sign the dotted line and pay up. The professions is in a downward spiral, and anyone attempting to enter this career should turn around and find something else.
what field would you get into then in the medical profession? i need to go back to school cuz my gm job is over and i need a new career. i am 40 and looking for something stable. any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

what field would you get into then in the medical profession? i need to go back to school cuz my gm job is over and i need a new career. i am 40 and looking for something stable. any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

[quote]what field would you get into then in the medical profession? i need to go back to school cuz my gm job is over and i need a new career. i am 40 and looking for something stable. any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!
Seriously, what's better job than RT or RN that only take you 2 years to complete and when you get out, you can find a job that pay you $30+ / hr?
4 years ago when I was software-engineer with a BS degree and can't even find a stable job for $25/hr.
So for you, just don't mind any-one is talking, just either go to any community colleges try to get into Nursing or Respiratory then you should be fine. It will be expensive if you go to private colleges.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California said: [quote]what field would you get into then in the medical profession? i need to go back to school cuz my gm job is over and i need a new career. i am 40 and looking for something stable. any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Seriously, what's better job than RT or RN that only take you 2 years to complete and when you get out, you can find a job that pay you $30+ / hr?
4 years ago when I was software-engineer with a BS degree and can't even find a stable job for $25/hr.
So for you, just don't mind any-one is talking, just either go to any community colleges try to get into Nursing or Respiratory then you should be fine. It will be expensive if you go to private colleges.

tyvm darkmoon for the encouraging words-- believe me they help i need all the positivity i can get--ty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

George jackson in Norwood, Massachusetts

51 months ago

You are so right, I was thinking of enrolling into phoenix university for Software engineer, after reading your post, I decided not to. $1400/ class, about 40 classes. just too much money thanks for your advice :)

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California said: [quote]what field would you get into then in the medical profession? i need to go back to school cuz my gm job is over and i need a new career. i am 40 and looking for something stable. any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in La Verne, California

27 months ago

Annonymous in Fort Smith, Arkansas said: I have been a Respiratory Therapist for 6 years. I wouldn't say that I regret choosing it. It has taught me a lot and sometimes I really did enjoy it. However, I have come to the realization that there really isn't much of a future in RT. At first, when you are young and new in the profession it's exciting. You don't mind the crazy hours or missing holidays with your family. After a while though, you start to feel left out. You won't get much time with family and friends. Day shifts usually have an extremely long waiting list. So you will probably be on night shift for a long time. Most RT's work every other weekend. I personally have decided that this profession is not for me. Luckily I have a great support system. So, I'm getting out and I am back in school as we speak. I have decided on becoming a teacher. It's what I probably should have chosen in the first place. Better late than never :)

wahhhhhhhhh. so many effin crybabies and whiners on these forums. good riddance, the profession will be better without people like you. clear out and make some room for a person who is actually passionate about their job and helping someone. oh yeah, and good choice going back to school to be a teacher. that profession is much less saturated than rt, yup tons of great paying teaching jobs availble. lmao.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

rvd4now in Ann Arbor, Michigan

27 months ago

hello, i should be starting rt school in the fall of 12. My only fear is i have really bad spelling, and i know working with people and people lives that this may be a problem. my question is do you guys see rt's, rn's dr's with bad spelling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OraP in Clackamas, Oregon

27 months ago

rvd4now in Ann Arbor, Michigan said: hello, i should be starting rt school in the fall of 12. My only fear is i have really bad spelling, and i know working with people and people lives that this may be a problem. my question is do you guys see rt's, rn's dr's with bad spelling.

Now adays, they are computerized charting and spelling would have spell check to help you. Don't worry about your spelling but typing speed is a must in many cases.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KS in Pittsfield, Massachusetts

27 months ago

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California said: I don't know why people get upset with the BS requirement? Nursing is nursing, RT is RT. Everything needs to be improve. It just likes the PT before required BS, now they require to have MS.
I completely agree that people from the trade school aren't ill educated. I don't know why he tried to offense people like that. I think he can't find a job after he graduated and blame on everything.

PTs are actually required to have a PHD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RRTstudentPA in York, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California said: I agree with you in some points that NBRC does nothing to improve RT profession. All they want money. But as you can see, it isn't easy to get into hospital to work if you graduated from a tech/vocational school all they require you to have RRT and tech/vocational school can't offer that. As in couple of years, I believe you need at least BS degree to be qualify to get your entry exam.

It depends on the area you are in I am currently in a Tech School and will graduate CRT/RRT eligible with an associates degree. I have been commended and offered several positions at major hospitals locally upon graduation and passed an old CRT exam with an 82 on the first try...also a requirement to graduate is to pass an RRT. We take ACLS and PALS and must pass to Graduate. Yes there are bad tech/trade school out there but if one researches and looks into it there are some great ones too. I have seen much worse come out of a CC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OPA in Sacramento, California

26 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I have to agree with Adam in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

There are plenty of respiratory therapists to fill jobs. The field is saturated in California. One available job posting for a respiratory therapist in Sacramento received over 1000 applications plus. The local "tech/private" college is producing 30 graduates every 18 months. Seats for each new class consistently fill up at a cost per student slightly less than 50,000 dollars. Only a few of the classroom instructors have years of hospital (clinical experience), hence the quality of the education is good but not excellent such the program in the state of Washington. Once these RT graduates complete the program , there may be a 6 month to 13 month or more wait for a full-time job if one materializes otherwise you work variable shifts... mostly nights.

Graduates with a two year degree should seek a bachelor's degree minimum. On that suggestion, by going to a tech or private college, the supposed idea is that you will be in and out of the program before a community or university RT applicated (due to lottery selection) and be working before the community college application even gets in but due to poor job availability in the greater Sacramento region, many of the private college applications are without work for a long period of time. Subsequently they lose opportunity costs and are literally no better off than had they continued working toward a four year degree at the community or university level (where the courses are transferable) and waited to get into an RT community college program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

OPA in Sacramento, California said: I have to agree with Adam in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

There are plenty of respiratory therapists to fill jobs. The field is saturated in California. One available job posting for a respiratory therapist in Sacramento received over 1000 applications plus. The local "tech/private" college is producing 30 graduates every 18 months. Seats for each new class consistently fill up at a cost per student slightly less than 50,000 dollars. Only a few of the classroom instructors have years of hospital (clinical experience), hence the quality of the education is good but not excellent such the program in the state of Washington. Once these RT graduates complete the program , there may be a 6 month to 13 month or more wait for a full-time job if one materializes otherwise you work variable shifts... mostly nights.

Graduates with a two year degree should seek a bachelor's degree minimum. On that suggestion, by going to a tech or private college, the supposed idea is that you will be in and out of the program before a community or university RT applicated (due to lottery selection) and be working before the community college application even gets in but due to poor job availability in the greater Sacramento region, many of the private college applications are without work for a long period of time. Subsequently they lose opportunity costs and are literally no better off than had they continued working toward a four year degree at the community or university level (where the courses are transferable) and waited to get into an RT community college program.

it doesn't matter how many rt's these trade schools pump out and flood the market with. you can have 1000 apps for one job (which i believe you are full of it on, but whatever i'll play along). if 600 of those apps are from a crappy trade school they are not getting looked at anyway, so what does it matter. those people aren't being seriously looked at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Mike in La Verne, California said: it doesn't matter how many rt's these trade schools pump out and flood the market with. you can have 1000 apps for one job (which i believe you are full of it on, but whatever i'll play along). if 600 of those apps are from a crappy trade school they are not getting looked at anyway, so what does it matter. those people aren't being seriously looked at.

con't:

they just wasted money on a crappy school and will have a 100x harder time finding a job. they are no threat to someone with experience or a degree from a qualified school. the only trade school in california that is worth going to and paying the extra money is san juaquin valley college. they are a highly accredited school, and some hospitals look at a degree from them higher than some of the premier jc programs. plus you can transfer all your credits from them to loma linda or boise st.

i'm just tired of all this whining about jobs. jobs are tough everywhere. you have to be willing to go the extra mile to find a position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Mike in La Verne, California said: it doesn't matter how many rt's these trade schools pump out and flood the market with. you can have 1000 apps for one job (which i believe you are full of it on, but whatever i'll play along). if 600 of those apps are from a crappy trade school they are not getting looked at anyway, so what does it matter. those people aren't being seriously looked at.

I stand corrected! 1000 apps for a single position over a 12 month time period equates to approximately 83 apps / position per year. Regardless, these applicants are being reviewed for positions. Here in Sacramento, the trade school (SJVC) does not produce crappy students; however, they are not the "best of class" and not because of the individual graduates but because the school is hell bent on production and not quality. The community college graduates have stronger core science classes, thus, inherently have a better grasp of core respiratory care modalities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Mike in La Verne, California said: con't:

they just wasted money on a crappy school and will have a 100x harder time finding a job. they are no threat to someone with experience or a degree from a qualified school. the only trade school in california that is worth going to and paying the extra money is san juaquin valley college . they are a highly accredited school, and some hospitals look at a degree from them higher than some of the premier jc programs. plus you can transfer all your credits from them to loma linda or boise st.

i'm just tired of all this whining about jobs. jobs are tough everywhere. you have to be willing to go the extra mile to find a position.

SJVC costs are too exorbitant and unconscionable for the money and highly accredited doesn't necessarily translate to highly qualified graduates. One can simply look at the RCB in CA for overall test results. For SJVC graduates, transferability of credits may be limited to certain geographic regions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Certainly, if you are tired of all the whining, may I suggest you do not read the whining posts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

8 months ago

In any industry, there are simply too many people looking for work and very few jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.