current respiratory therapy student and i want out

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

minniemin in anywhere land, Washington

48 months ago

I'm a second year student, finished all of my competencies, got one more semester and a summer left of classes and clinicals yet I DO NOT want to be a respiratory therapist. I do not want to work in a hospital as a patient care provider, I love the patients but I do not want to do the work. I do not want to work holidays, I do not want to work 12 hours shifts, I AM ALREADY BURNED OUT, I am tired of the complaining therapist, I do not like the negative unhappy person that I am becoming! I have worked a job that I have despised for 6 years and I left that job to pursue an RT career but I am burning out quicker while in school for RT than I have ever burned out of a job. I am on the verge of failing 4 out of 5 of my classes this semester due to my lack of wanting to be a therapist(which BTW I started out making A's in the first 2 months) I don't want to let down my family and my boyfriend who has encouraged me the past year and 1/2. I want to be a writer, Iwant freedom, I want a job that I love and am passionate about. I do not want to be a RT like my aunt. I thought I did but I DON'T. I don't want to lose my financial aid. I was thinking of Health Information Technology or Social Work but I am just so confused. I pray and I pray but nothing! What's a girl to DO! ...sign

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Lola in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

As a medical social of 20+ years I can tell you that based on your post, a social work job would not be a good fit for you. You have to love it and based on what you are saying, you would not. You can't enter a medical service industry without wanting to serve your patients. It seems like you are looking for permission to become a writer. Life is too short. You will end up losing more money and time pursuing your RT or any other job that you don't love, especially if you are looking in the medical or social services field. Get a job that you at least like, it doesn't have to be prestigious, to make money - like child care, retail or bartending etc while you establish yourself writing or get an internship to start that career. You will blow out of everything else. Good Luck!

Reply - Report abuse

Suggestion in San Diego, California

48 months ago

Lola in Dallas has the right idea. It's really hard to work in a field or job that you despise. After many years, you will quit anyway because the thought of staying will make you sick. If you think you are burnt out now, just wait. Sounds like you know enough not to continue with RT.

Reply - Report abuse

Raj in Spartanburg, South Carolina

48 months ago

I feel your pain... This major will drain you out. This is just me but I would fight it out for the next semester or so. You've come too far to just give up on a degree even though you want no pay of it. Just having the degree alone would be a nice backup plan just in case writing or any other venture doesn't work out for you. And respiratory therapy doesn't have to be so stressful, you can find a home health job, which are usually 9-5pm (not 12 hours) granted you will most likely be on call. Or just do prn/part time split shifts only. Some hospitals want to hire for those positions. Less stressful and you'll have time to pursue your dreams. I just graduated in July and I LOVE the job I have. It's only as stressful as you make it. And those therapist who are complaining most likely have been working for a lot of years but I think they are happy with payday and the days they get off during the week. Just my two cents but stick with it you're almost done!!!

Reply - Report abuse

webdox in Hollywood, California

47 months ago

Sad to say it doesn't get better once you are cashing a paycheck. You are used like a POS by nursing and the PA's who are a step above janitor in some cases AS IT APPLIES TO RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS will continually make your life hell by sitting a computer instead of assessing the patient and ordering every single medication the patient has ever taken including the PRN albuterol MDI they took when they were 10 for a pneumonia that has now morphed into a q4ATC need for someone here complaining of foot and ankle pain who in now in their 70's. Half your day will be spent undoing stupid things that MD's/PA's/NPs have written on the fly with a pen clearly pulled out of their behind.

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

It's me again! I have decided to quit the Respiratory Care Program as of a few days ago. NOT because I can't do it! I finished every competency, and every check off. I just don't want to do it! I love helping people but not in this way plus I can not imagine someone's life in my hands, SCARY. I'd rather do something more administrative, behind the scenes but still in healthcare and something that doesn't involve direct patient care. Thanks for your comments and many blessing to all.

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

webdox in Hollywood, California said: Sad to say it doesn't get better once you are cashing a paycheck. You are used like a POS by nursing and the PA's who are a step above janitor in some cases AS IT APPLIES TO RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS will continually make your life hell by sitting a computer instead of assessing the patient and ordering every single medication the patient has ever taken including the PRN albuterol MDI they took when they were 10 for a pneumonia that has now morphed into a q4ATC need for someone here complaining of foot and ankle pain who in now in their 70's. Half your day will be spent undoing stupid things that MD's/PA's/NPs have written on the fly with a pen clearly pulled out of their behind.

You are so right! I work with PA's at a hospital and yes some really care about their job and know what to do and when to do it but some do exactly what you said.I just decided to quit the program. I can't see myself doing respiratory, that's just me. Everybody has their thing. I do hope I am not making a huge mistake.

Reply - Report abuse

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado

47 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: You are so right! I work with PA's at a hospital and yes some really care about their job and know what to do and when to do it but some do exactly what you said.I just decided to quit the program. I can't see myself doing respiratory, that's just me. Everybody has their thing. I do hope I am not making a huge mistake.

Many will probably disagree but good you saw the light and got out before you wasted time and money all to have no job.
I see this on a daily basis and the new grads will see this after being in the field for years. Nursing and Doctors abuse us, many see this through goggles. The countless amounts of wasted nebs I give for Patients who do not need them or the abg's I do and the pain that is involved all to see they are oxgenating perfectly.
All to add is the monetary amount billed to the Insurance industry which leads to wasted dollars and higher premiums for All!

Reply - Report abuse

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado

47 months ago

Word correct- Oxygenating

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado said: Many will probably disagree but good you saw the light and got out before you wasted time and money all to have no job.
I see this on a daily basis and the new grads will see this after being in the field for years. Nursing and Doctors abuse us, many see this through goggles. The countless amounts of wasted nebs I give for Patients who do not need them or the abg's I do and the pain that is involved all to see they are oxgenating perfectly.
All to add is the monetary amount billed to the Insurance industry which leads to wasted dollars and higher premiums for All!

I hate to say it but you're right. I saw this before I even got to my last semester. I really really love what RT's do but everything you said is correct. You're blessed to be able to make a living but I do understand your frustration. Thank you for telling me the truth. god bless you.

Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado said: Many will probably disagree but good you saw the light and got out before you wasted time and money all to have no job.

The new grads from recent graduation have all not found jobs (well one has) the rest have to move to another city and one travels 1 hour away just to work, she even worked at a local hospital before graduation and they hired a grad that never worked at the hospital instead of her. Its a doggy dog world. I don't want that headache.

Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: I'm a second year student, finished all of my competencies, got one more semester and a summer left of classes and clinicals yet I DO NOT want to be a respiratory therapist. I do not want to work in a hospital as a patient care provider, I love the patients but I do not want to do the work. I do not want to work holidays, I do not want to work 12 hours shifts, I AM ALREADY BURNED OUT, I am tired of the complaining therapist, I do not like the negative unhappy person that I am becoming! I have worked a job that I have despised for 6 years and I left that job to pursue an RT career but I am burning out quicker while in school for RT than I have ever burned out of a job. I am on the verge of failing 4 out of 5 of my classes this semester due to my lack of wanting to be a therapist(which BTW I started out making A's in the first 2 months) I don't want to let down my family and my boyfriend who has encouraged me the past year and 1/2. I want to be a writer, Iwant freedom, I want a job that I love and am passionate about. I do not want to be a RT like my aunt. I thought I did but I DON'T. I don't want to lose my financial aid. I was thinking of Health Information Technology or Social Work but I am just so confused. I pray and I pray but nothing! What's a girl to DO! ...sign

I AM BACK IN THE PROGRAM. DECIDED IT IS WHAT I WANT TO DO

Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

46 months ago

Finish the program you started.

Good Luck

Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed&HomelessRRT in Georgia

46 months ago

Go ahead and quit the program, there aren't any jobs anyways. Try to get into a nursing program.

Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

45 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: I AM BACK IN THE PROGRAM. DECIDED IT IS WHAT I WANT TO DO

Hi Minnie. Wow, you sound very undecided. That's why I think you should finish the program. It'll always be something good to fall back on, just in case.

I myself finished the program in June 2011. I've been working since Jan 2013 as a per-diem, there's plenty of work but I work as much or as little as I want. My coworkers get mad, but I don't care. They're part of the reason that I want to leave, because your coworkers are out to get each other and you too. Also, everything aforementioned. Needless abgs, hhns, mdis, etc... NPs, PAs, RNs, MDs abusing you. Even then damn nurse techs think they know about your job or when a patient needs a breathing tx. LOL!

My biggest concern is that we have no ratios, and supervisors will screw over some RTs and not others. Last time I received a load of 7 Vents and 2 Bipaps, while being the backup to the main RT in the ER. And the load certainly was mine because if those patients in ER (vented ones) went up to ICU, I was told I would have to keep them. I wrote up this supervisor to the Director, but they have immunity because no one wants to be a supervisor to a department of disgruntled workers who hate their jobs.

Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

45 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: I AM BACK IN THE PROGRAM. DECIDED IT IS WHAT I WANT TO DO

CONTINUED
I've now decided to do the RN program. I know it's not perfect, but at least in California they have ratios, better representation and better pay. I love patient care, period. I've never wanted to leave working in a hospital, but I've now decided I don't want to be an RT. Now mind you, RT is not the same anywhere. But my hospital sucks!

At the end of the day RT is a living. I didn't do RN from the get-go because my aunt was an RT and I was afraid of poop and body functions, etc... But now since I see what they do everyday, it seems like RN is the best option. I wouldn't mind being 200% responsible for 1-4 patients, as long as I have my protected Californai ratios and the perks of being an RN.

Reply - Report abuse

theneonguy in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

jrmavc in you'll never know, California said: CONTINUED
I've now decided to do the RN program. I know it's not perfect, but at least in California they have ratios, better representation and better pay. I love patient care, period. I've never wanted to leave working in a hospital , but I've now decided I don't want to be an RT. Now mind you, RT is not the same anywhere. But my hospital sucks!

At the end of the day RT is a living. I didn't do RN from the get-go because my aunt was an RT and I was afraid of poop and body functions, etc... But now since I see what they do everyday, it seems like RN is the best option. I wouldn't mind being 200% responsible for 1-4 patients, as long as I have my protected Californai ratios and the perks of being an RN.

Love that "protected California ratios" stuff! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! State is bankrupt, people are fleeing, except illegals, and you want "protection"? What a gas!

Reply - Report abuse

theneonguy in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

jrmavc in you'll never know, California said: Hi Minnie. Wow, you sound very undecided. That's why I think you should finish the program. It'll always be something good to fall back on, just in case.

I myself finished the program in June 2011. I've been working since Jan 2013 as a per-diem, there's plenty of work but I work as much or as little as I want. My coworkers get mad, but I don't care. They're part of the reason that I want to leave, because your coworkers are out to get each other and you too. Also, everything aforementioned. Needless abgs, hhns, mdis, etc... NPs, PAs, RNs, MDs abusing you. Even then damn nurse techs think they know about your job or when a patient needs a breathing tx. LOL!

My biggest concern is that we have no ratios, and supervisors will screw over some RTs and not others. Last time I received a load of 7 Vents and 2 Bipaps, while being the backup to the main RT in the ER. And the load certainly was mine because if those patients in ER (vented ones) went up to ICU, I was told I would have to keep them. I wrote up this supervisor to the Director , but they have immunity because no one wants to be a supervisor to a department of disgruntled workers who hate their jobs.

You said it, pal. Right ON! We need change and it's coming soon, I hope. Otherwise I'll just retire and get out. Might go into teaching.

Reply - Report abuse

sftballslh in Lincoln, Nebraska

36 months ago

Work DME. I work M-F with a little on call. Paid holidays off. I still get to work with patients in the office with their CPAP and in skilled facilities.

Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

sftballslh in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Work DME. I work M-F with a little on call. Paid holidays off. I still get to work with patients in the office with their CPAP and in skilled facilities .

Great idea! See they don't tell you about this in school

Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Decided to finish. I will post again when I have my RRT in Fall 2016

Reply - Report abuse

wakawaka7 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

34 months ago

sftballslh in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Work DME. I work M-F with a little on call. Paid holidays off. I still get to work with patients in the office with their CPAP and in skilled facilities .

What's DME?

Reply - Report abuse

Brooke90 in Lexington, Kentucky

33 months ago

Wakawaka7 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: What's DME?

It's like medical supplies. Delivering to homes. At least it is here anyways.

Reply - Report abuse

buttrpecan9 in Madisonville, Kentucky

32 months ago

I graduated may 9, 2014. Just landed a job 2 hours away feb, 2015. Had I reviewed the hospital before accepting the offer, I may have not quickly accepted. The hospital in which I work is a satellite of a major hospital. I work 3 (12s) a week. So I had 9 days of training which is 3 weeks of training. One of those days I was thrown out on my own cause we had a snow storm and I had to take 15 patients. As a new grad and never had any experience as a respiratory therapist just clinical experience, it's frightening to be responsible for so many patients. I feel in my heart that there is a lot of shady business going on that I want no parts of. This is a LTAC unit and its a lot of responsibility. I barely get to break for 30 minutes. There are 30 patients and 2 respiratory therapists that are scheduled per shift. We do the trach care, and trach tube replacements. in clinical practice, I didn't see a lot if trachs. So when I started here, I was introduced to them. We clean them and around the stoma and change the dressing, the collars and if they have a strong hold tie. They even allow us to change out the entire trach tube every 30 days. The DR must be present in the building should something go wrong. I have never changed a trach tube. Anyways, I'm unhappy here and I feel bad for looking elsewhere but the level of acuity of these patients to RTs ratio is too much for me to deal with. This company has a high turnover rate And therefore they constantly hire new people. Some have been there before. I leave everyday thinking I didn't accomplish anything. I have been in the medical field since I graduated high school in 96. So I have compassion for my ppl whom I take care of. It seems like here, there is no time for that just get in and get the breathing treatment done, do a vent check, do a wean trial, switch a patient to a t-piece wean, and not really communicate with them. I feel like my license is on the line here.

Reply - Report abuse

Formerly Unemployed RRT in Austin, Texas

32 months ago

RRT here.

Any prospective RTs reading this? Don't bother. Theres no work and no jobs. I graduated, passed all my board tests on the first shot, became an RRT, and went almost 6 MONTHS unemployed! Had to work at a $%%^% wal-greens in the meantime.

The jobs just aren't there. Those openings that do show up? Extremely competitive and hospitals know it. Most places won't even bother with interviews until they have at LEAST 3 or 4 RTs to interview for it. So they can pick from the best. Make sense seeing as how its not a valued field so hospitals aren't looking to hire much whenever they do.

After 6 months of pure despair, i finally got on at a place. Begged like a dog to get it, wore my best suit, etc. I only make $25,870 a year, after being there almost a year now, and they ONLY hired me because it was night shift. In a field this limited, you have to take what you can get. Pretty depressing.

Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

theneonguy in Austin, Texas said: Please get out now before it's too late. The last thing we true RTs need is another prima donna frustrated "writer" taking it out on coworkers that she hate her job. Got enough of that already, in SPADES. Most trouble that we see on the job is not with patients, but jerks who make the rest of the workforce miserable listening to their whining and complaining. Go get a job at McDonald's if you don't have the heart to help others breathe and to help save lives. Go write a book about how you wasted years trying to get up the gumption to be a winner.
An alternative would be to complete the degree, then go on for a BS in administration .

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your reply.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Well I'm finished with bachelor classes for RT. Now I just need to finish my associste classes (I've always been backwards). I needed to read all of your comments because I needed to see the hard truth. I'm going to be a great RT. I just wanted to be absolutely sure that this was what I truly wanted to do. I was scared, skeptical, and low in confidence. I will let you know when I graduate which will be soon. Thank you all.

Reply - Report abuse

Formerly Unemployed RRT in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: I'm a second year student, finished all of my competencies, got one more semester and a summer left of classes and clinicals yet I DO NOT want to be a respiratory therapist. I do not want to work in a hospital as a patient care provider, I love the patients but I do not want to do the work. I do not want to work holidays, I do not want to work 12 hours shifts, I AM ALREADY BURNED OUT, I am tired of the complaining therapist, I do not like the negative unhappy person that I am becoming! I have worked a job that I have despised for 6 years and I left that job to pursue an RT career but I am burning out quicker while in school for RT than I have ever burned out of a job. I am on the verge of failing 4 out of 5 of my classes this semester due to my lack of wanting to be a therapist(which BTW I started out making A's in the first 2 months) I don't want to let down my family and my boyfriend who has encouraged me the past year and 1/2. I want to be a writer, Iwant freedom, I want a job that I love and am passionate about. I do not want to be a RT like my aunt. I thought I did but I DON'T. I don't want to lose my financial aid. I was thinking of Health Information Technology or Social Work but I am just so confused. I pray and I pray but nothing! What's a girl to DO! ...sign

I'm a working RRT.

I don't recommend Respiratory at all. Nobody respects our field, the money is lousy, and the job opportunities are super-scarce.

That's what scares me the most. Knowing that i am 100.00% screwed if the unforeseen should happen and i lose my job.

The next place willing to hire me on may not be for 140 miles away!! Meaning i'd have to pack up, and jump ship, leaving my friends behind and the area i enjoy being at.

Makes the thought of ever buying a house and settling down scarey. Then again, you couldn't very well afford a house on RT money anyway.

Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

This was my problem....LISTENING TO OTHER PEOPLE...THIS IS WHY I QUIT RESPIRATORY SCHOOL THE FIRST TIME IN 2013! I WISH I HADN'T HAVE LISTENED TO COMPLAINING MISERABLE TIRED RESPIRATORY THERAPIST WHO DIDN'T APPRECIATE THAT THEIR CAREER! BUT WHAT THEY WON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IS THIS CAREER IS WHY THEY WERE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS, PAY THEIR BILLS AND TAKE VACATIONS (AND IF THEY DIDN'T TAKE VACATIONS THAT'S THEIR FAULT!!). YEAH THE CAREER IS NOT THE BEST BUT TRY BEING A RN. RT'S HAVE IT EASY COMPARED TO AN RN. MORE MONEY MORE PROBLEMS AND MORE RESPONSIBILITY! EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT SO I AM JUST GOING TO STOP LISTENING TO OTHER PEOPLE AND FINISH RESPIRATORY SCHOOL. IF I HAD OF GRADUATED IN 2014 I WOULD HAVE A JOB! JUST LIKE ALL 7 OF MY CLASSMATES DO RIGHT NOW!! 3 WERE HIRED RIGHT ON AT THE HOSPITAL THAT I WORKED AT!!! I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN HIRED!!!!!!! THIS MAKES ME SO EFFING MAD AT MYSELF FOR BEING A WUSE AND QUITTING IN 2013!!!!! SO I SAY STICK IT OUT IF YOU ARE IN RT SCHOOL AND STOP LISTENING TO PEOPLE!!!!! ESPECIALLY MISERABLE UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE BECAUSE ITS NOT REALLY THE JOB ITS THEIR PERSONAL LIFE. I AM FINISHING RT SCHOOL 2016 WITH A VENGEANCE!

Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

REVISED.......

This was my problem....LISTENING TO OTHER PEOPLE...THIS IS WHY I QUIT RESPIRATORY SCHOOL THE FIRST TIME IN 2013! I WISH I HADN'T HAVE LISTENED TO COMPLAINING MISERABLE TIRED RESPIRATORY THERAPIST!!!!! EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT AND MORE GRATEFUL THAN OTHERS!!! BUT WHAT THEY WON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IS THIS CAREER IS WHY THEY WERE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS, PAY THEIR BILLS AND TAKE VACATIONS (AND IF THEY DIDN'T TAKE VACATIONS THAT'S THEIR FAULT!!). YEAH THE CAREER IS NOT THE BEST BUT TRY BEING A RN. RT'S HAVE IT EASY COMPARED TO AN RN. MORE MONEY MORE PROBLEMS AND MORE RESPONSIBILITY! EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT SO I AM JUST GOING TO STOP LISTENING TO OTHER PEOPLE AND FINISH RESPIRATORY SCHOOL. IF I HAD OF GRADUATED IN 2014 I WOULD HAVE A JOB! JUST LIKE ALL 7 OF MY CLASSMATES DO RIGHT NOW!! 3 WERE HIRED RIGHT ON AT THE HOSPITAL THAT I WORKED AT!!! I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN HIRED!!!!!!! THIS MAKES ME SO EFFING MAD AT MYSELF FOR BEING A WUSE AND QUITTING IN 2013!!!!! SO I SAY STICK IT OUT IF YOU ARE IN RT SCHOOL AND STOP LISTENING TO PEOPLE!!!!! ESPECIALLY MISERABLE UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE BECAUSE ITS NOT REALLY THE JOB ITS THEIR PERSONAL LIFE. I AM FINISHING RT SCHOOL 2016 WITH A VENGEANCE!

Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Formerly Unemployed RRT in Austin, Texas said: I'm a working RRT.

I don't recommend Respiratory at all. Nobody respects our field, the money is lousy, and the job opportunities are super-scarce.

That's what scares me the most. Knowing that i am 100.00% screwed if the unforeseen should happen and i lose my job.

The next place willing to hire me on may not be for 140 miles away!! Meaning i'd have to pack up, and jump ship, leaving my friends behind and the area i enjoy being at.

Makes the thought of ever buying a house and settling down scarey. Then again, you couldn't very well afford a house on RT money anyway.

BUT YOU'RE WORKING THOUGH....JUST BE HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE A JOB THO... :)

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Well, I never finished. I dropped out for good and I can't get in for 5 years. There goes my career as a RT. I made an A in all of my prerequisites including A&P 2 and Microbiology a B. Completed all of my Bachelor prerequisites for RT yet I'll never be an RT

Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

To anyone who cares I have since started my own business, I have made over over $100k since I started it in 2014 by selling a major hair oil all across the world! It's huge in Africa, London (UK), Paris, Canada, Sweden, and more countries that I have never even been too!! I also recently just created my own hair care line. In just two months I have made over $10k+ with my own product and I've NEVER been more free and happy in my life!! I do wonder if I should of finished respiratory school but I was so miserable in clinicals that I doubt I would be this happy. I am glad that I took this leap of faith and started my own company. So this is for anyone that is scared to do it or hates their job. Take the leap and trust God! Work hard and trust your gut feelings/intuition and don't allow people to discourage you and don't give up on what you TRULY believe in and let go of what is tearing you down! Trust the process and you will be successful in whatever you love and set your mind to.

Reply - Report abuse

pmd815 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

So you went from RT, to wanting to be a writer/social worker, back to RT, to selling hair oil? Which one was your gut feeling, exactly??

Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Tampa, Florida

21 months ago

This has to be some kind of joke right? This person is clearly trolling.

Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

pmd815 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: So you went from RT, to wanting to be a writer/social worker, back to RT, to selling hair oil? Which one was your gut feeling, exactly??

I ACTUALLY found out that I have 5 years to complete the program. I thought I had ruined my chances after starting and stopping it so much but who cares! Such is life! It's eating me up that I didn't finish something that I started. I need a psychiatrist, I'm a looney, I don't know what I want out of life, fooey fooey, who gives a F%##$. We are all messed up in the head in some way. You got your issues and I got mine. Such IS LIFE. Wah Wahhh. I'll get it right one day and when I do I'll be back on this forum sharing the news. This looney will prevail!

Reply - Report abuse

Nicholas in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

minniemin in anywhere land, Washington said: It's me again! I have decided to quit the Respiratory Care Program as of a few days ago. NOT because I can't do it! I finished every competency, and every check off. I just don't want to do it! I love helping people but not in this way plus I can not imagine someone's life in my hands, SCARY. I'd rather do something more administrative , behind the scenes but still in healthcare and something that doesn't involve direct patient care. Thanks for your comments and many blessing to all.

Good luck with that. Most places don't want to hire someone who can't finish a degree program.

Reply - Report abuse

Angevil in Hialeah, Florida

20 months ago

minniemin in anywhere land, Washington said: I ACTUALLY found out that I have 5 years to complete the program. I thought I had ruined my chances after starting and stopping it so much but who cares! Such is life! It's eating me up that I didn't finish something that I started. I need a psychiatrist, I'm a looney, I don't know what I want out of life, fooey fooey, who gives a F%##$. We are all messed up in the head in some way. You got your issues and I got mine. Such IS LIFE. Wah Wahhh. I'll get it right one day and when I do I'll be back on this forum sharing the news. This looney will prevail!

So what about your business program? If you want to come back means the business was not profitable? Just guessing.

Reply - Report abuse

N65 in Bakersfield, California

19 months ago

I'm interested in getting into the respiratory therapy programme. I am considering to study at a private college over a community college. The reason being is that the program duration is shorter at a private college. However the down side of it is that the college fees or loan for the programme is very steep, it's $40,000 :(.This does not sit well with me at all,I would hate to have such a huge debt over me after the programme, and not be able to pay it off, incase I do not find a job after the programme. It makes me wonder whether it'll be worth it at the end. Judging by the comments it does not seem like there's a high demand for this proffession,yet it's very competitive. I love to work in the medical field, I have worked as a Nurse Aid but one aspect of the job that I found hard to deal with is cleaning off resident's poo. I can deal everything else but not that. One other thing besides saving peoples lives, that I liked about being an RT, is their work hours, working x3 12hour shifts per week sounds great,extra time to spend with family. It would be great if I got a very honest response from a former or current RT.I would hate to waste a lot of money,time and energy over a degree that may most likely not get me a job eventually.I'm not disregarding that it is a repectable profession. Would it be wise to study at an expensive private college? Should I consider a different occupation in the medical field?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Zephyrhills, Florida

19 months ago

I'm not an rt but my close friend is in the same exact situation that you are in. He signed up for concord college and the program is 40k. He is also a nurse's aid and is miserable with that. I honestly think it's a good field. I work in the Er but not as an rt. My only concern is the school that you are attending. 40k? I'm sure you can attend a local community college or so and maybe only pay 15k. I understand that the 40k program is accelerated but you have to ask yourself if that year you skipped is worth the additional 25k!!!

Reply - Report abuse

buttrpecan9 in Madisonville, Kentucky

19 months ago

Hello, since my last post on here 13 months ago, I'm no longer working two hours away from home. The price I paid for experience cause no other place close to home would give me a chance without experience but the cost of living there was high and my hourly wage was more than my hourly wage as a cna. I've mainly worked in healthcare, started as a nurse aide after high school in 96. But anyways, I graduated from the community college in 2014 in respiratory. Had no idea it was gonna be a full time job submitting apps. I had a few interviews and things seemed promising but felt like my 2 years in RT school was wasted. Then I saw my instructor in Walmart and she told me to get out of my comfort zone and apply in bigger cities. I did and and calls after calls. I got the job two hours away 9 months after graduation and knew what I had in store as far as travel fees and hotel stays. I tried to get an apartment but had a previous eviction so I kept getting denied. I drove like that for 5 months and my body couldn't do anymore. I quit there in June and in July my instructor contacted me about a RT position 48 miles from home. I contacted them and was hired on the spot. I've been there since. It's a small rural hospital. Once you get that year under your belt, you can go anywhere. Now about that school. Is this school accredited? Once u get your degree can you further your education if you wanted to? Many years back I got caught up in brown Mackie and soon realized my credits would not tranfer. It was gonna cost $30k and if I wanted to go further, I would have to start all over at another college cause those credits did not count. Those types of schools are all about getting money and not telling students the truth. I'm glad I got out when I did. That was a $3k mistake but I had to learn the hard way. Feel free to ask questions, I will try to help any way I can. Just go with your heart on your decision. But be aware of those pricey schools.

Reply - Report abuse

kkmichelle in Jackson, Mississippi

19 months ago

SO after reading these comments, I'm scared to go in RT. I am on the border on what to major in and i have narrowed it down to an Respiratory therapist or radiology therapy (with a specialized certification that i haven't decided yet) but you people make it sound horrible. I know everyone is different and so are locations. With that being said, when you find a job, is the actual work THAT bad and/or stressful? Thanks in advance!

Reply - Report abuse

bcbcb in Corinth, Mississippi

17 months ago

For students: If you are in a RT program or even thinking about it, make sure you use the resources at this website. They have free study material that will make your life a ton easier. www.respiratorytherapyzone.com

Reply - Report abuse

drlogics in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Hello all,

I'm very interested in a RT (specialized associates program) being offered in PA that requires 136 minimum hours to complete. Is it a plus to begin early reviews and studying before gaining hands on experience and class lectures in RT?

Is there any shadowing opportunities available in the RT field before gaining licensured or CRT & RRT?

Thank you.

Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Hampton, Georgia

15 months ago

Unemployed&HomelessRRT in Georgia said: Go ahead and quit the program, there aren't any jobs anyways. Try to get into a nursing program.

Hi what school did you attend in Ga?
And what year did you graduate? I'm looking into southern crescent tech college.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mike11792 in Naperville, Illinois

11 months ago

Just wondering if anyone from the suburbs of Chicago could shine some light on RT job outlook and RT pay. Thanks just comparing salaries from actual people who love around Chicago.
Thanks in advance!!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mike11792 in Naperville, Illinois

11 months ago

mike11792 in Naperville, Illinois said: Just wondering if anyone from the suburbs of Chicago could shine some light on RT job outlook and RT pay. Thanks just comparing salaries from actual people who love around Chicago.
Thanks in advance!!!

Live not love lol

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Springfield, Missouri

10 months ago

Geez lol. What's wrong with you guys? I've never had a problem getting a job as an RT and can make 50k - 70k a year easy, and that's in Missouri where the wages are pretty low. I love my job. Yes there's many annoyances, but that's any job. RN's get burnt out. RTs get burnt out. Docs get burnt out. Hell, rock stars get burnt out. You all need some positivity in your lives I think.

My advice to anyone looking at RT vs RN...RN will pay slightly better usually and have more jobs/opportunities. Apparently, per your state, there may be less jobs for RTs. Make sure you check and make sure there are jobs waiting for you in your state (common sense really).

Reply - Report abuse

Intubate! in Illinois

10 months ago

mike11792 in Naperville, Illinois said: Just wondering if anyone from the suburbs of Chicago could shine some light on RT job outlook and RT pay. Thanks just comparing salaries from actual people who love around Chicago.
Thanks in advance!!!

Chicago land has a lot of positions open. I would be shocked if you don't find a job. The pay seems to be around 19 - 15 for no experienced people. 19 is for nursing homes and 25 range is closer towards the city and bigger hospitals.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Pekin, Illinois

7 months ago

minniemin in anywhere land, Washington said: I'm a second year student, finished all of my competencies, got one more semester and a summer left of classes and clinicals yet I DO NOT want to be a respiratory therapist. I do not want to work in a hospital as a patient care provider, I love the patients but I do not want to do the work. I do not want to work holidays, I do not want to work 12 hours shifts, I AM ALREADY BURNED OUT, I am tired of the complaining therapist, I do not like the negative unhappy person that I am becoming! I have worked a job that I have despised for 6 years and I left that job to pursue an RT career but I am burning out quicker while in school for RT than I have ever burned out of a job. I am on the verge of failing 4 out of 5 of my classes this semester due to my lack of wanting to be a therapist(which BTW I started out making A's in the first 2 months) I don't want to let down my family and my boyfriend who has encouraged me the past year and 1/2. I want to be a writer, Iwant freedom, I want a job that I love and am passionate about. I do not want to be a RT like my aunt. I thought I did but I DON'T. I don't want to lose my financial aid. I was thinking of Health Information Technology or Social Work but I am just so confused. I pray and I pray but nothing! What's a girl to DO! ...sign

L

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.