current respiratory therapy student and i want out

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington

9 months ago

I'm a second year student, finished all of my competencies, got one more semester and a summer left of classes and clinicals yet I DO NOT want to be a respiratory therapist. I do not want to work in a hospital as a patient care provider, I love the patients but I do not want to do the work. I do not want to work holidays, I do not want to work 12 hours shifts, I AM ALREADY BURNED OUT, I am tired of the complaining therapist, I do not like the negative unhappy person that I am becoming! I have worked a job that I have despised for 6 years and I left that job to pursue an RT career but I am burning out quicker while in school for RT than I have ever burned out of a job. I am on the verge of failing 4 out of 5 of my classes this semester due to my lack of wanting to be a therapist(which BTW I started out making A's in the first 2 months) I don't want to let down my family and my boyfriend who has encouraged me the past year and 1/2. I want to be a writer, Iwant freedom, I want a job that I love and am passionate about. I do not want to be a RT like my aunt. I thought I did but I DON'T. I don't want to lose my financial aid. I was thinking of Health Information Technology or Social Work but I am just so confused. I pray and I pray but nothing! What's a girl to DO! ...sign

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lola in Dallas, Texas

9 months ago

As a medical social of 20+ years I can tell you that based on your post, a social work job would not be a good fit for you. You have to love it and based on what you are saying, you would not. You can't enter a medical service industry without wanting to serve your patients. It seems like you are looking for permission to become a writer. Life is too short. You will end up losing more money and time pursuing your RT or any other job that you don't love, especially if you are looking in the medical or social services field. Get a job that you at least like, it doesn't have to be prestigious, to make money - like child care, retail or bartending etc while you establish yourself writing or get an internship to start that career. You will blow out of everything else. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suggestion in San Diego, California

9 months ago

Lola in Dallas has the right idea. It's really hard to work in a field or job that you despise. After many years, you will quit anyway because the thought of staying will make you sick. If you think you are burnt out now, just wait. Sounds like you know enough not to continue with RT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Raj in Spartanburg, South Carolina

9 months ago

I feel your pain... This major will drain you out. This is just me but I would fight it out for the next semester or so. You've come too far to just give up on a degree even though you want no pay of it. Just having the degree alone would be a nice backup plan just in case writing or any other venture doesn't work out for you. And respiratory therapy doesn't have to be so stressful, you can find a home health job, which are usually 9-5pm (not 12 hours) granted you will most likely be on call. Or just do prn/part time split shifts only. Some hospitals want to hire for those positions. Less stressful and you'll have time to pursue your dreams. I just graduated in July and I LOVE the job I have. It's only as stressful as you make it. And those therapist who are complaining most likely have been working for a lot of years but I think they are happy with payday and the days they get off during the week. Just my two cents but stick with it you're almost done!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

webdox in Hollywood, California

9 months ago

Sad to say it doesn't get better once you are cashing a paycheck. You are used like a POS by nursing and the PA's who are a step above janitor in some cases AS IT APPLIES TO RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS will continually make your life hell by sitting a computer instead of assessing the patient and ordering every single medication the patient has ever taken including the PRN albuterol MDI they took when they were 10 for a pneumonia that has now morphed into a q4ATC need for someone here complaining of foot and ankle pain who in now in their 70's. Half your day will be spent undoing stupid things that MD's/PA's/NPs have written on the fly with a pen clearly pulled out of their behind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington

9 months ago

It's me again! I have decided to quit the Respiratory Care Program as of a few days ago. NOT because I can't do it! I finished every competency, and every check off. I just don't want to do it! I love helping people but not in this way plus I can not imagine someone's life in my hands, SCARY. I'd rather do something more administrative, behind the scenes but still in healthcare and something that doesn't involve direct patient care. Thanks for your comments and many blessing to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington

9 months ago

webdox in Hollywood, California said: Sad to say it doesn't get better once you are cashing a paycheck. You are used like a POS by nursing and the PA's who are a step above janitor in some cases AS IT APPLIES TO RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS will continually make your life hell by sitting a computer instead of assessing the patient and ordering every single medication the patient has ever taken including the PRN albuterol MDI they took when they were 10 for a pneumonia that has now morphed into a q4ATC need for someone here complaining of foot and ankle pain who in now in their 70's. Half your day will be spent undoing stupid things that MD's/PA's/NPs have written on the fly with a pen clearly pulled out of their behind.

You are so right! I work with PA's at a hospital and yes some really care about their job and know what to do and when to do it but some do exactly what you said.I just decided to quit the program. I can't see myself doing respiratory, that's just me. Everybody has their thing. I do hope I am not making a huge mistake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado

9 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: You are so right! I work with PA's at a hospital and yes some really care about their job and know what to do and when to do it but some do exactly what you said.I just decided to quit the program. I can't see myself doing respiratory, that's just me. Everybody has their thing. I do hope I am not making a huge mistake.

Many will probably disagree but good you saw the light and got out before you wasted time and money all to have no job.
I see this on a daily basis and the new grads will see this after being in the field for years. Nursing and Doctors abuse us, many see this through goggles. The countless amounts of wasted nebs I give for Patients who do not need them or the abg's I do and the pain that is involved all to see they are oxgenating perfectly.
All to add is the monetary amount billed to the Insurance industry which leads to wasted dollars and higher premiums for All!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado

9 months ago

Word correct- Oxygenating

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington

9 months ago

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado said: Many will probably disagree but good you saw the light and got out before you wasted time and money all to have no job.
I see this on a daily basis and the new grads will see this after being in the field for years. Nursing and Doctors abuse us, many see this through goggles. The countless amounts of wasted nebs I give for Patients who do not need them or the abg's I do and the pain that is involved all to see they are oxgenating perfectly.
All to add is the monetary amount billed to the Insurance industry which leads to wasted dollars and higher premiums for All!

I hate to say it but you're right. I saw this before I even got to my last semester. I really really love what RT's do but everything you said is correct. You're blessed to be able to make a living but I do understand your frustration. Thank you for telling me the truth. god bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington

9 months ago

TravelingRT in Mountain, Colorado said: Many will probably disagree but good you saw the light and got out before you wasted time and money all to have no job.
I see this on a daily basis and the new grads will see this after being in the field for years. Nursing and Doctors abuse us, many see this through goggles. The countless amounts of wasted nebs I give for Patients who do not need them or the abg's I do and the pain that is involved all to see they are oxgenating perfectly.
All to add is the monetary amount billed to the Insurance industry which leads to wasted dollars and higher premiums for All!

The new grads from recent graduation have all not found jobs (well one has) the rest have to move to another city and one travels 1 hour away just to work, she even worked at a local hospital before graduation and they hired a grad that never worked at the hospital instead of her. Its a doggy dog world. I don't want that headache.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington

8 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: I'm a second year student, finished all of my competencies, got one more semester and a summer left of classes and clinicals yet I DO NOT want to be a respiratory therapist. I do not want to work in a hospital as a patient care provider, I love the patients but I do not want to do the work. I do not want to work holidays, I do not want to work 12 hours shifts, I AM ALREADY BURNED OUT, I am tired of the complaining therapist, I do not like the negative unhappy person that I am becoming! I have worked a job that I have despised for 6 years and I left that job to pursue an RT career but I am burning out quicker while in school for RT than I have ever burned out of a job. I am on the verge of failing 4 out of 5 of my classes this semester due to my lack of wanting to be a therapist(which BTW I started out making A's in the first 2 months) I don't want to let down my family and my boyfriend who has encouraged me the past year and 1/2. I want to be a writer, Iwant freedom, I want a job that I love and am passionate about. I do not want to be a RT like my aunt. I thought I did but I DON'T. I don't want to lose my financial aid. I was thinking of Health Information Technology or Social Work but I am just so confused. I pray and I pray but nothing! What's a girl to DO! ...sign

I AM BACK IN THE PROGRAM. DECIDED IT IS WHAT I WANT TO DO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

8 months ago

Finish the program you started.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed&HomelessRRT in Georgia

7 months ago

Go ahead and quit the program, there aren't any jobs anyways. Try to get into a nursing program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

7 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: I AM BACK IN THE PROGRAM. DECIDED IT IS WHAT I WANT TO DO

Hi Minnie. Wow, you sound very undecided. That's why I think you should finish the program. It'll always be something good to fall back on, just in case.

I myself finished the program in June 2011. I've been working since Jan 2013 as a per-diem, there's plenty of work but I work as much or as little as I want. My coworkers get mad, but I don't care. They're part of the reason that I want to leave, because your coworkers are out to get each other and you too. Also, everything aforementioned. Needless abgs, hhns, mdis, etc... NPs, PAs, RNs, MDs abusing you. Even then damn nurse techs think they know about your job or when a patient needs a breathing tx. LOL!

My biggest concern is that we have no ratios, and supervisors will screw over some RTs and not others. Last time I received a load of 7 Vents and 2 Bipaps, while being the backup to the main RT in the ER. And the load certainly was mine because if those patients in ER (vented ones) went up to ICU, I was told I would have to keep them. I wrote up this supervisor to the Director, but they have immunity because no one wants to be a supervisor to a department of disgruntled workers who hate their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

7 months ago

minnie min in anywhere land, Washington said: I AM BACK IN THE PROGRAM. DECIDED IT IS WHAT I WANT TO DO

CONTINUED
I've now decided to do the RN program. I know it's not perfect, but at least in California they have ratios, better representation and better pay. I love patient care, period. I've never wanted to leave working in a hospital, but I've now decided I don't want to be an RT. Now mind you, RT is not the same anywhere. But my hospital sucks!

At the end of the day RT is a living. I didn't do RN from the get-go because my aunt was an RT and I was afraid of poop and body functions, etc... But now since I see what they do everyday, it seems like RN is the best option. I wouldn't mind being 200% responsible for 1-4 patients, as long as I have my protected Californai ratios and the perks of being an RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.