How is the current job market for Respiratory Therapists?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

New Grad in Vienna, Virginia

12 months ago

I've seen and heard multiple negative opinions from people that this is a dead end field. Further, I've read that job opportunities are sparse. Most of these opinions, however, come from people who cannot formulate a proper sentence, nor punctuate properly. Ergo, this adds to my inclination these same individuals cannot formulate a professional resume.

So, how is the job market for a new graduate Registered Respiratory Therapist? Please, only articulate persons answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

andy rrt

12 months ago

Yes, dead end. Yes, sparse. One can pay for a pro to write a resume. Inarticulately put, the market sucks. Ergo, look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

TaraVT in Essex Junction, Vermont

12 months ago

New Grad in Vienna, Virginia said: I've seen and heard multiple negative opinions from people that this is a dead end field. Further, I've read that job opportunities are sparse. Most of these opinions, however, come from people who cannot formulate a proper sentence, nor punctuate properly. Ergo, this adds to my inclination these same individuals cannot formulate a professional resume.

So, how is the job market for a new graduate Registered Respiratory Therapist? Please, only articulate persons answer.

Well, I am not the most articulate however, in New England there seems to be a steady flow in the job market. In the last year my employer has hired 16 full time staff members. Recently they employed 9 from the soon to graduate respiratory class at the local technical college. I was hired post graduation as well. I receive competitive pay and benefits. Our respiratory therapy department is also unionized so we have a lot of support to maintain a fair contract that renews every three years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

12 months ago

For any position I'm curious about, I now do a search using the name of the position AND include the key words "experience" or "new grad." I don't want to waste my time or $ on a career that's not really hiring OR not really hiring new grads. Doing a simple search like this allows me to get a general idea of what's happening in any field. Try it and judge for yourself. What's going on in your state may be different for someone else in another state. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

New grad in Washington, District of Columbia

12 months ago

Thanks for all the comments.

Beginagainla - I tried to include the word "new grad" in my search, however, all the positions for PT, OT, RNs, etc also pop up with the respiratory positions. How is the California market? Have you been out of school long and how is your job search going?

TaraVT - that's good for you, I'm very happy you found a position that pays you well! I was considering moving to New York after the completion of my program. Did you finish a BS or a AS program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

12 months ago

New grad in Washington, District of Columbia said: Thanks for all the comments.

Beginagainla - I tried to include the word "new grad" in my search, however, all the positions for PT, OT, RNs, etc also pop up with the respiratory positions. How is the California market? Have you been out of school long and how is your job search going?

TaraVT - that's good for you, I'm very happy you found a position that pays you well! I was considering moving to New York after the completion of my program. Did you finish a BS or a AS program?

Hi New grad... I graduated two years ago, and just landed a per diem job 2 months ago at a level II trauma center. The job market in California is really bad for new grads and even people with experience. I myself am returning to school if I get accepted to a school I applied to.

However, if respiratory is truly your passion, go for it. Don't lose faith cuz eventually you will find a job. Other people I know lucked up quickly. A girl that graduated in the year before me was offered a 1-year training at a Peds/Nicu hospital in Santa Barbara, and I believe she still likes it.

I don't mind it, but I don't love it. I already dread going to work every day because the loads we get are ridiculous. During the 2 year search for a job I found a new career I'd like to focus on. That's just me though.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RCPRRT in Rancho Cordova, California

12 months ago

There is no job market.

I am a recent graduate with my RRT and over five years medical experience prior to RT school, and there is just nothing there. The few jobs I've seen posted have gone up and back down so fast they were obviously posted out of technicality with a person for the position already in mind.

I have come across one job open to new graduates in the Bay Area thus far. One job, with over 300+ new RT graduates between the Sac and SF area school alone produced every year. Competition is out of control.

The job market is a garbage fire, and we're all caught in the middle of it. If you truly have your heart set on respiratory, do yourself a favor and go to a cheap Community College, find as many connections in the RT community as you can, and hope the situation is a bit better once you finally graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

12 months ago

I'm not in the healthcare field at all. The keyword suggestion is just something I've been doing for myself lately as I, like you, want to know what the job market is for not only respiratory therapists, but I'm also "researching" other careers as well.

I see too many posts on Indeed's forums where people claim to have gone through training and STILL cannot find a job. I'm trying to avoid that.

The reality is that a certificate, degree, or licence doesn't guarantee employment, especially when these schools are graduating so many people year after year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

New grad in Washington, District of Columbia

12 months ago

Have you noticed EVERY negative post is from California? The one guy who said something positive is from the east coast. Why don't you people move? If you have established families then I totally understand. However, if you're single then their is no excuse. There are jobs, maybe just not in California at the moment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.