How is the current job market for being an RRT?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

rrt student in Fullerton, California

40 months ago

Thinking of going to concorde college for rt, anyone have any pointers..much obliged

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim,RRT in Sandusky, Ohio

38 months ago

Student in Chico, California said: I am a recent high school graduate and I would like to become a Registered Respiratory Therapist. After talking with my aunt who is an RRT and doing my own extensive research I have become really interested in this career. I have also volunteered in a hospital for two years and I really enjoy the fast paced environment. I was just curious to how the job prospects for this career is now. I noticed some other posts saying that the field is saturated, but those posts were about 2-4 years ago on average. Anyways, I would appreciate if I got some insight from real people. The program at a community college I'm looking into has a 100% employment rate for their students.
You probably have a good chance at finding employment. The bean counters love new grads. A new warm body=less budgetary strain, (lower wage), less accumulated benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

david in Marysville, California

32 months ago

whats the hiring rate? do they hire rrt like they would hire others, or when they r in need of one only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

OraP in Clackamas, Oregon

32 months ago

rrt student in Fullerton, California said: Thinking of going to concorde college for rt, anyone have any pointers..much obliged

I do not support the vocational tech trade school because of inabilities to advance and branch out to another carreer because the credits earned from Concorde will not be accepted by a 4 years college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in La Verne, California

32 months ago

OraP in Clackamas, Oregon said: I do not support the vocational tech trade school because of inabilities to advance and branch out to another carreer because the credits earned from Concorde will not be accepted by a 4 years college.

Agreed. Concorde is a horrible school. I am getting ready to go to RT school in June. I chose SJVC, yes I know they are a "vocational" school. However they are the best choice and there program is highly regarded in the industry. Plus you can transfer all classes and credits to Loma Linda, or Boise St. plus they're constantly working with other schools who will transfer. It would be nice if I had the luxury to sit on a 3 year wait list for a JC but I don't. The only trade school worth it IMO is SJVC, their admission process is pretty extensive too. You just can't cut them a check and be accepted like Concorde or ACC. I had to interview with the dept head for over a hour as part of the selection process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue, BS, RRT in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

25 months ago

Respiratory Therapy is the worst career decision I ever made. I am on the hook for thousands of dollars in student loans. I can't find a job, anywhere. I've applied all over the country. My daughter and I are about to be thrown out of our home. My family can't understand why I can't find a job. Neither can I. When I was able to find jobs in Respiratory, the RRT's, where I worked, were treated worse than houskeeping. The pay was often poor. There are no opportunities for advancement in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dd rrt in royal oak, Michigan

25 months ago

I have 2 years of experience as a registered respiratory therapist and I have been applying all over Michigan. I still can't get a call back for an interview. I don't know what they are looking for in a resume and its very frustrating when you can't get another job in the field you went to school to learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jaya raj in Wexford, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

I have 3 and a half years experience as a resp therapist and i have applying to so many hospital at pittsburgh still no luck.
WELCOME BOARD.
very frustrating. Don't know what to do >

DNA in Royal Oak, Michigan

25 months ago

Not good. It's not the economy, it's the field itself. Hospitals are trying to do more with less and you can count on it that RTs will be among the first to be scrutinized. The only thing RTs do that no one else can do are managing ventilators and the airway during emergencies and that's it. Even then many hospitals, at least in Michigan, don't allow RTs to intubate. The rest of the job duties, which make up 80% of what we do can be done by anyone with two hands. The sky is the limit for all you high school graduates and young people; please aim higher and don't settle for this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jaya raj in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

I totally agree with DNA at Michigan.

After spending so much money , time , energy you are here with NO luck.

it sucks!!!

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California

25 months ago

ebusiness66ATyahooDOTcom in Houston, Texas said: Sorry about those not having a job. It is sad, but true. That does happen that some people go without jobs for a very long time. So, make a tough decision of even moving to have a job. If not, thoughs would really be tough. But also, have faith and do your best. You might just be blessed.

But then again, you would be surprised to hear that some nurses too who have their RN licenses don't even have a job. Go figure. Same for some engineers. Almost all careers have graduates with no jobs. So, I am sorry it is happening to some people, but you have to do what you have to do to make it.

Keep on applying and hoping for the best or try moving to another city or state.

Goodluck to all.

"Try moving to another state" requires a JOB to be accepted into a rental (a place to live). Also, the expense of moving--and the uprooting of your children to new schools and a new environment--puts you even farther into debt.

DO NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A JOB LOCKED ON! (Other wise you will be homeless in a different state w/o the support of family and friends.) The statements above about "try moving" are irresponsible, and do NOT take family responsibilities/well-being into consideration. APPLY out of state! APPLY EVERYWHERE! But do NOT "try moving out of state" w/o any means of support (job) actually locked on. Good luck to everyone--and be wary of irresponsible statements about employment-seeking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

25 months ago

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California said: "Try moving to another state" requires a JOB to be accepted into a rental (a place to live). Also, the expense of moving--and the uprooting of your children to new schools and a new environment--puts you even farther into debt.

DO NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A JOB LOCKED ON! (Other wise you will be homeless in a different state w/o the support of family and friends.) The statements above about "try moving" are irresponsible, and do NOT take family responsibilities/well-being into consideration. APPLY out of state! APPLY EVERYWHERE! But do NOT "try moving out of state" w/o any means of support (job) actually locked on. Good luck to everyone--and be wary of irresponsible statements about employment-seeking.

In addition to even getting a job out of state is why so many forget the License? You have to have a license in hand or proof you have had all your paperwork accepted and waiting to be processed before any hospital would consider you and will sadly give the job(s) to those that already possess the state license. The fees for every state vary but can be expensive, so before any attempt to move ,be smart and have a job and a back up plan.

Holly RRT in Apple Valley, California

4 months ago

DNA in Royal Oak, Michigan said: Not good. It's not the economy, it's the field itself. Hospitals are trying to do more with less and you can count on it that RTs will be among the first to be scrutinized. The only thing RTs do that no one else can do are managing ventilators and the airway during emergencies and that's it. Even then many hospitals, at least in Michigan, don't allow RTs to intubate. The rest of the job duties, which make up 80% of what we do can be done by anyone with two hands. The sky is the limit for all you high school graduates and young people; please aim higher and don't settle for this field.

It is certainly true that hospital do whatever they can to cut corners, and RT's are undoubtedly the underdog when it all rolls downhill. Aside from this, you are sorely mistaken about the role respiratory therapists play. 80% of what we do absolutely CANNOT be done by just anyone. I am disheartened by your attitude toward our profession and appalled that you are engaged in hands-on patient care if that is what you really believe. With over ten years experience as an RT I can walk into a room and and determine the level of care a patient requires at first glance--with no monitoring equipment whatsoever. I could give many other examples, but the ability to instantly assess a patients respiratory situation alone is a cut above what any other healthcare worker can do without a high level of experience and skill.If I were ever in a crisis I'd rather have an RT nearby than anyone else. Surely you have seen how resuscitation efforts are performed without the aid of the RT. The team scarcely know when to begin compressions without haggling for ten minutes over whether or not they feel a pulse or can see a rhythm on the monitor. A person's life can be saved ANYWHERE at ANYTIME with the skill a respiratory therapist has, not just within the confines of a fully equipped medical facility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VicRRT in Concord, California

4 months ago

All I can say is that there are jobs out there for RTs. I just graduated from a vocational school the end of December 2013. got my certs and got a job up in norcal. it's true many RT came out of retirement to work or even take per diém jobs (job opportunities for new grads) but there is also those who will retire soon. there's just too many factors to just predict, let alone describe the job market. just have faith and don't get discouraged. do what needs to be done to survive. at least you now have more medical training, even if you don't have a job to prove it you now know your potential.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.