I'm motified with the RT pay scale in Austin, Texas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 99)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

RC in Texas in Georgetown, Texas

75 months ago

michaines29 in Garden Grove, California said: Unfortunatley CA pays high due to the high cost of living. You have to realize that RT's may not be in great demand as they were in CA due to population differences and cost of living differences.

Michaines29,

I will agree housing here is about 50% cheaper than CA; however, groceries, clothing, entertainmet, and car insurance. All these necessities are all equal in cost to what it cost in CA. In addition, not all of Calif. is highly populated. Northern Calif. overall is less densly populated, yet the wages are higher and the cost of living is cheaper than So. Cal. In my opinion the difference between No. and So. Cal. there is an over saturation of RTs in So. Cal. Lot's of trade schools putting out RTs. This is the primary reason why I had to move from So. Cal. No jobs!!

Thanks
RC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

458 in Englewood, New Jersey

75 months ago

RC in Texas in Georgetown, Texas said: Michaines29,

I will agree housing here is about 50% cheaper than CA; however, groceries, clothing, entertainmet, and car insurance. All these necessities are all equal in cost to what it cost in CA. In addition, not all of Calif. is highly populated. Northern Calif. overall is less densly populated, yet the wages are higher and the cost of living is cheaper than So. Cal. In my opinion the difference between No. and So. Cal. there is an over saturation of RTs in So. Cal. Lot's of trade schools putting out RTs. This is the primary reason why I had to move from So. Cal. No jobs!!

Thanks
RC

A good freind of mine landed a job in dallas, 10 years experience they started her at 31.00 hour....22-20hr thats a joke!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I'm diffinately going to have to look into Dalles. I totally agree 20-22/hr is a JOKE.

Thanks
RC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

RC in Texas in Georgetown, Texas said: I'm diffinately going to have to look into Dalles. I totally agree 20-22/hr is a JOKE.

Thanks
RC

Im in the NYC area, i was planing to check out socal, for the warm weather, The pay over there is starting around $30-3? i have 4 years experience, but im debating to move if there is a pay cut of half.....thats crazy,
Why the move?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

You might want to check with some of the registries in the Los Angeles area (Mediscan, AHP,and Maxim Medical Staffing) these agencies generally pay between 36.00-40.00/hr. I found that most registries play favorites and will supply you with full-time work if you have a very flexible schedule and are willing to any shift any day of the week. If anything, it gives you exposure to various hospitals. Yes, the weather is truly great!!

I moved to Texas because the RT jobs in Orange County have become non-existent. And found traveling to LA from OC was a bit much due to traffic. Since I have family in Austin, I thought this is the perfect time to make the move to Texas and check out the job market. I found there are RT jobs here but the pay , as you said, is a joke. So I'm now pursuing my BS degree with the intention of landing a better paying job.

Thanks RC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

civicsi099 in seattle, Washington

75 months ago

RC in Texas in Georgetown, Texas said: I recently relocated to Austin, Texas from California. Before relocating, I had contacted a registry (will remain nameless) in Austin, TX. I told them I was certified with 22 years experience in all levels of respiratory care. I was quoted a hourly rate of $40/hour and was told there was high demand for RT's in Texas. Well after making the move to Texas, I was told a completly different story than from initial phone conversartion. The rep. from this registry did some back peddling and revised her quote of $40/hr to $28/hr. Then when on to say, "they haven't had a need for RT's in months." With this in mind I decided not to sign up with them. As a result, I submitted my resume to various hospitals in Austin. Within a week I received two interviews from two major hospitals. One hospital quoted me $20/hr and the other $22/hr. That's 50% less than what I was making in CA. Huge difference!

How do fellow RT's make it on such low wages? Are unions utilized in Texas healthcare?

I work in Seattle and making 29 dollars/hr in my 3rd year as an RRT working day shift. Graduated 2006. My fellow classmate who also work in Seattle (differnt hospital) only gets paid 23/hr. So it also depends on the hospital. Does this place offer RRT pay?Is it a private hospital. Public hospitals tend to pay a few dollars less. Also NEVER trust any agency until you get everything in writing. Some of them trick you to gettn your foot in after exausting your time/days doing paperwork. I was once told 44/hr via email. But after I had done all paperwork they needed, the final offer was only 34/hr. 10 dollars difference! I confronted him and his reply was " im sorry i didnt make it clear to you" WTF? I had proof in the email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

civicsi099 in seattle, Washington said: I work in Seattle and making 29 dollars/hr in my 3rd year as an RRT working day shift. Graduated 2006. My fellow classmate who also work in Seattle (differnt hospital) only gets paid 23/hr. So it also depends on the hospital. Does this place offer RRT pay?Is it a private hospital. Public hospitals tend to pay a few dollars less. Also NEVER trust any agency until you get everything in writing. Some of them trick you to gettn your foot in after exausting your time/days doing paperwork. I was once told 44/hr via email. But after I had done all paperwork they needed, the final offer was only 34/hr. 10 dollars difference! I confronted him and his reply was " im sorry i didnt make it clear to you" WTF? I had proof in the email.

thats pretty good for seattle washington, the funny thing about respiratory is that every hospital has different rolls for RT. I work in the NYC area, certain hospital wont let respiratory change vent settings, and you go two blocks down respiratory intubates and has full control of vent management. No RT wants to be a vent or neb jockey. But usually the prestige hospitals pay the most but limits respiratory role. The small hospitals pay less and you do more. Is this true on the west coast or the midwest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Spokane, Washington

74 months ago

RC in Texas in Georgetown, Texas said: Michaines29,

Thanks
RC

You moved from So. Cal due to no jobs. Do you/anyone know how the job outlook in Northern CA is?? The pay scale? I'm thinking about relocating but due to the economy, not sure if its such a smart move. A lot of hospitals I know of are on a hiring freeze.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RC in Georgetown, Texas

74 months ago

Julie
I have worked in Northern Cal. approx 8 yrs ago, and at the time the job market for RTs was very good. In addition the pay is a bit more than So. Cal. I'm not sure what part of Northern Cal your wanting to relocate to? But you might want to look into San Fransisco or the surounding area. You'll find that these areas have more jobs with better pay.

Best of Luck...

Max Flow in Madison, Wisconsin

74 months ago

Motified? Don't you mean mortified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jesset in El Paso, Texas

74 months ago

RC in Texas in Georgetown, Texas said: I recently relocated to Austin, Texas from California. Before relocating, I had contacted a registry (will remain nameless) in Austin, TX. I told them I was certified with 22 years experience in all levels of respiratory care. I was quoted a hourly rate of $40/hour and was told there was high demand for RT's in Texas. Well after making the move to Texas, I was told a completly different story than from initial phone conversartion. The rep. from this registry did some back peddling and revised her quote of $40/hr to $28/hr. Then when on to say, "they haven't had a need for RT's in months." With this in mind I decided not to sign up with them. As a result, I submitted my resume to various hospitals in Austin. Within a week I received two interviews from two major hospitals. One hospital quoted me $20/hr and the other $22/hr. That's 50% less than what I was making in CA. Huge difference!

How do fellow RT's make it on such low wages? Are unions utilized in Texas healthcare?

I here you my friend respiratory therapy in Texas sucks, no respect, poor wages and alot of crap. that is basically a going rate, the reason is to many therapist, in Texas there are to many schools that teach RT. It floods the hospitals with students trying to find jobs and they keep the wages low. Also the Respiratory therapist in the hospitals only hire there buddies, they dont go with what you know anymore, it's who you know. The best thing to do if you are in Austin, is to hook up to a traveling service only in Texas, and get to know people in the hospitals you work in and try and squeeze in that way. In texas it a right to work state so they can fire you for no reason so be careful dont rock any boats, and try to make a living on 20 bucks an hour, if you travel to the bigger cities ie Houston, Dallas, their pay is better at least 23-26 per hour even that is low but maybe you can find a home for low rent.

goodluck jesset

LaDonna S in Sturgis, South Dakota

74 months ago

Not just Texas- this is happening all over the states, hospitals are cutting pay for their current therapist up to 3% and if hiring at all, looking for the cheapest wages, claiming this is better than lay offs. Very disturbing, we can only hope patient care won't suffer and hospitals won't use the economy as an excuse for poor wages. New grads won't stick around at these hospitals either once things recover.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RTQuestions in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Does anyone know what the market is like in houston for new grads? I am considering getting into the field and starting a program this fall but after reading some of the posts on here it makes me nervous.

74 months ago

RC in Georgetown, Texas said: Julie
I have worked in Northern Cal. approx 8 yrs ago, and at the time the job market for RTs was very good. In addition the pay is a bit more than So. Cal. I'm not sure what part of Northern Cal your wanting to relocate to? But you might want to look into San Fransisco or the surounding area. You'll find that these areas have more jobs with better pay.

Best of Luck...

Thank you. I'm looking into the Sacramento area right now. I know that the bay area pays more, but the cost of living is also higher. I eventually want to be a home owner, and I just don't know if I can afford a decent home in the bay area. In the last three months, there hasn't been much coming up in Sacramento area...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RC in Georgetown, Texas

74 months ago

Thanks Jesset for the inside scoop. I did not know Texas is a right to work state. That explains the low wages and why there aren't any health care unions here.

I am learning to make due on 20.00 bucks an hour. I'm also persuing my BS degree so I can get the heck out of Resp. and maybe get into medical sales.

Thanks again,

RC in Georgetown, Texas

74 months ago

I have worked a number of years in Sacramento. I can tell you that most hosp. HR depts in that area tend to be a bit slow. So if I were you I would place a call to the RT dept manager. You'll find that there are three major hosp. conglomerates in Sacto: Sutter, Mercy, and Kaiser. I have worked at all of these hospitals and found Sutter General to have fairest and most flexable dept. manager of all of them.

The Mercy systems tend to make too many changes in response to economical changes. They're big on cut backs. As for the Kaiser sytem they have a two tier pay wage. What that means if you were hired by Kaiser after 1986 then your pay is significantly lower than another RT who was hired before then. I found this to be problem for me because I was doing the same exact job, yet I was getting paid 10.00 dollars less than an uppper tier RT.

Hope this helps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kp

74 months ago

RC in Georgetown, Texas said: I have worked a number of years in Sacramento. I can tell you that most hosp. HR depts in that area tend to be a bit slow. So if I were you I would place a call to the RT dept manager. You'll find that there are three major hosp. conglomerates in Sacto: Sutter, Mercy, and Kaiser. I have worked at all of these hospitals and found Sutter General to have fairest and most flexable dept. manager of all of them.

The Mercy systems tend to make too many changes in response to economical changes. They're big on cut backs. As for the Kaiser sytem they have a two tier pay wage. What that means if you were hired by Kaiser after 1986 then your pay is significantly lower than another RT who was hired before then. I found this to be problem for me because I was doing the same exact job, yet I was getting paid 10.00 dollars less than an uppper tier RT.

Hope this helps...

I work for Kaiser in the Sac area. You may want to check facts,things may have changed, as my friends who work in RT here get paid pretty well. Kaiser pretty much sets the standard for pay in Northern CA. It has also been a good place to work

RC in Georgetown, Texas

74 months ago

KP
I am not disputing Kaiser's work enviroment nor the decent pay; however, you can't deny the fact there still exist a two tier system within the RT dept. I bet there are still a few of those higher tier therapist making a substantial higher pay . And as far as Kaiser setting the stardard of pay, you have the union to thank for that

amn in Victoria, Texas

74 months ago

I work in Corpus Christi and have only been out of school a few years. I make $30.00/hour there. That's why I didnt move to Austin. The college in Corpus puts out a very few mediocre therapists so they pay well for the ones they get.

RC in Georgetown, Texas

74 months ago

Ann,
Thanks for the input. If things don't work out here, I might check into Corpus Christi. The pay sounds much better than 20 bucks an hour.

74 months ago

RC in Georgetown, Texas said: I have worked a number of years in Sacramento. I can tell you that most hosp. HR depts in that area tend to be a bit slow. So if I were you I would place a call to the RT dept manager. You'll find that there are three major hosp. conglomerates in Sacto: Sutter, Mercy, and Kaiser. I have worked at all of these hospitals and found Sutter General to have fairest and most flexable dept. manager of all of them.

Hope this helps...

Thanks a bunch!! I will definitely make a few calls!

jesset in El Paso, Texas

74 months ago

Hey Guys, I want to start a new topic, Do you all believe that an RT can be black balled in a city which he or she resides in, Do any of you know how they might be doing it. I only wonder because here in El Paso, I left my old hospital in good standing and now I come back after several years they have new administration and the manager for some reason or another does not like me and wont give me a chance no matter how I left, what do you guys think, let me know your stories, or how I may overcome this problem. I ve tried everything except going to the news.

74 months ago

This is very common, management sometimes can take quitting personal. Even if you where the best therapist in the department. They feel that if you quit do not come back! Its pretty sad, thats why you have to be careful when you leave a job. Some places have been know to stamp an employee's profile do not rehire.
There is really nothing you can do but look for a different place. hope this helps.

jesset in El Paso, Texas

74 months ago

Thanks for the Input 458, I've tried locally but no one is hiring me, regardless of my experience, this is why im being black balled. I just dont know how they are doing it. There use to be rumors saying that when other company's are calling for reference they use a code word to let the other company know not to hire you. Have you or any of your fellow RT's know of such a word or do they know how the hospitals black ball personnel.

Thanks,

Jesse

74 months ago

I have not heard of a blackball code word, but like i said if management puts a do not hire on your employee profile you, will never get hired by that hospital. There are laws to what Human Resources can and cannot release. You have to understand respiratory is a small field so if you made a mistake in one hospital, your co-workers might talk about it in another hospital and your name might get spread around, all it takes is one RT to say no he is not a good worker, and the director or hiring supervisor may go by their word alone,.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

has anyone heard anything about texas childrens, advance always has them ranked as the top RT department? If the staff voted, it must be a really a great department!

intuitive in Bremerton, Washington

72 months ago

goodluck jesset

"I here you"
"therapist"
in Texas there are "to" many schools
only hire "there" buddies

Can you honestly say that you should be making more than $20/hr?
Your sentence structure is less impressive than your vocabulary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ardentanglophile in Bellevue, Washington

72 months ago

civicsi099 in seattle, Washington said: I work in Seattle and making 29 dollars/hr in my 3rd year as an RRT working day shift. Graduated 2006. My fellow classmate who also work in Seattle (differnt hospital) only gets paid 23/hr. So it also depends on the hospital. Does this place offer RRT pay?Is it a private hospital. Public hospitals tend to pay a few dollars less. Also NEVER trust any agency until you get everything in writing. Some of them trick you to gettn your foot in after exausting your time/days doing paperwork. I was once told 44/hr via email. But after I had done all paperwork they needed, the final offer was only 34/hr. 10 dollars difference! I confronted him and his reply was " im sorry i didnt make it clear to you" WTF? I had proof in the email.

DId you graduate from Seattle Central's RT program? Would you recommend it?

good life01 in Sherwood, Arkansas

71 months ago

amn in Victoria, Texas said: I work in Corpus Christi and have only been out of school a few years. I make $30.00/hour there. That's why I didnt move to Austin. The college in Corpus puts out a very few mediocre therapists so they pay well for the ones they get.

I just graduated from an accredited two year registry program. I was nominated by the staff as RT student of the year 2009. I live in Little Rock; and my plan has been to always leave the country life for the city life. I am ambitious, energetic, positive and professional; with 10 years of customer service experience; enable me to excel in patient care.Just need the opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fab007 in South San Francisco, California

71 months ago

good life01 in Sherwood, Arkansas said: I just graduated from an accredited two year registry program. I was nominated by the staff as RT student of the year 2009. I live in Little Rock; and my plan has been to always leave the country life for the city life. I am ambitious, energetic, positive and professional; with 10 years of customer service experience; enable me to excel in patient care.Just need the opportunity.

Wow, what "country" are you looking to work at Europe, Canada or Mexico?? You want to go international?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

No, No, Not the Country the country (the slow life).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

faboo7 how is the job market in the Bay area for new grads

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fab007 in South San Francisco, California

71 months ago

Well from what I hear there are a few hosp. that hire new grads and that's in the Sacramento Area Mercy Hosp. but I heard that working there is a pain and you get treated bad by the RN's(though a source on this site). But there are always looking for therapist in long term acute homes if you like that. Overall No. Cal is not the funnest place to live and work that's for sure, but yeah So. Cal is alot a better place to go if you find work that's for sure!!

Mark RCP in Texas

63 months ago

GeRandel UM in San Bernardino, California said: {Hello, I am researching about the RT programs & job outlooks, so I came upon this forum. R u saying u get paid @$40/hr. in CA? Which part of Cali? Do u have your AS or BS in RT? How long did it take u to earn your degree? I'm having a hard time too, because I do work & have a 4yr. old, & not really a full-time baby-sitter so...whatever info u could give I'd really appreciate. GUM}

Remember 40hr is for california, with high cost of living, broke state government, state income tax....Seattle area the pay is middle 30hr, but the Seattle. Pay is stated for each states cost of living. 28hr for Texas is good, Houston has a low cost of living. Home prices are 150,000+ and up. So factor in cost of living and 40hr in cali is low.

RC- Georgetown in Austin, Texas

63 months ago

Mark RCP in Texas said: Remember 40hr is for california, with high cost of living, broke state government, state income tax....Seattle area the pay is middle 30hr, but the Seattle. Pay is stated for each states cost of living. 28hr for Texas is good, Houston has a low cost of living. Home prices are 150,000+ and up. So factor in cost of living and 40hr in cali is low.

Gum:
I believe you were asking if the pay is actually 40/hr in California. Yes and No. Yes the pay is generally around 40 plus for therapist with a few years experience. As a "new grad" fresh out of school, it will be less. How much? I really am not sure. If I had to guess, I would guesstimate around the mid twenty dollar rage or higher. If your looking into RT programs, I would recommend a two year program vs. Bachelor degree program. You shouldn't have any problems finding a RT job with an AS degree. If you think you may want to pursue a mangement postion, after having been a therapist for a few years, then you may want to pursue a BS degree. As a said, having an AS in RT will not hinder your chances in getting a job.

Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

candice nguyen in Tacoma, Washington

63 months ago

Currently working in the seattle area. I have an AS degree in resp. therapy. Was thinking about going back to school but I dont think there is a difference in pay. Not too happy about the wage I currently make. So instead of trying to go back to school. I decided to start my own home based business and work part time at the hospital to keep my skills up. If any one is interested, please contact me.

Carol in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Hi I am in an RT program and I was wondering if anyone had Kettering or Lindsey Jones material that they could sell me. I am in clinical right now and the boss told me that they start RT's day shift at $28hr and night shift at $31hr. I know people that work in differnt hosptials that they say they make around $3 more or $3 less. If anyone has some material for the CRT and RRT please email me carol.rios79@yahoo.com.

Jason in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

62 months ago

Mark RCP in Texas said: Well as far as pay in Austin, pay is capped.Which is illegal,but still exists.But I would never relocate to somewhere new, without true pay rates and in writing. Texas has more jobs for RTs, due to size, but all depends where.
El Paso and surrounding is all seasonal, Dallas also, but still some occasional openings. Austin is same, but you have to keep up with ads, for St-Davids and Seton.San Antonio,has the lowest pay, they claim due to cost of living,all bs.
Houston pays the best, but who wants to live in Houston.
But overall its all about the cost of living,I know , it has a bearing on pay.Its amazing how low pay can be from state to state. But Texas,has decent pay,and honestly better hospitals,but also depends on the city.I live in East part of Wa state,and have never , met such rude nurses,and rt's. So my plan is to start traveling again.Due to not having to deal with politics of the hospital,and rude employees.But will return to TX.

Do you know anything about rt jobs in the rio grande valley? I lived in Port Isabel and South Padre Island for 6 years, speak Spanish, and love the area. I will be graduating next year and hope to find an rt job there, while pursuing a medical services technology bachelors degree at UTB.

Fred in West Bloomfield, Michigan

62 months ago

Jason....usted habla espanol muy bien? Como aprender hablar espanol? Me gusta cervezas y usted? Quiere hacer mucho denero?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

62 months ago

Fred in West Bloomfield, Michigan said: Jason....usted habla espanol muy bien? Como aprender hablar espanol? Me gusta cervezas y usted? Quiere hacer mucho denero?

Claro que sí. Viví cerca de Matamoros, Mexico por cinco años. Alla aprendí mucho español. Trabajaba como un mesero a South Padre Island, TX. Creo que es muy facil para aprender español porque hay mucha gente de practicar con. Me gusta tomar cervezas de Mexico y quiero ganar mucho dinero tambien. Buena suerte.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Jason in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: Claro que sí. Viví cerca de Matamoros, Mexico por cinco años. Alla aprendí mucho español. Trabajaba como un mesero a South Padre Island, TX. Creo que es muy facil para aprender español porque hay mucha gente de practicar con. Me gusta tomar cervezas de Mexico y quiero ganar mucho dinero tambien. Buena suerte.
I now the Valley is experiencing tremendous growth,especially, Mcallen,Brownsville,and Harlingen.....My wife was born and raised in Matamoros, and we visit frequently...Good Luck to you as well.

62 months ago

Jason in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: Claro que sí. Viví cerca de Matamoros, Mexico por cinco años. Alla aprendí mucho español. Trabajaba como un mesero a South Padre Island, TX. Creo que es muy facil para aprender español porque hay mucha gente de practicar con. Me gusta tomar cervezas de Mexico y quiero ganar mucho dinero tambien. Buena suerte.

Just stay out of Reynosa, Mexico...It's getting quite dangerous.

JasRRT in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

jesset in El Paso, Texas said: Thanks for the Input 458, I've tried locally but no one is hiring me, regardless of my experience, this is why im being black balled. I just dont know how they are doing it. There use to be rumors saying that when other company's are calling for reference they use a code word to let the other company know not to hire you. Have you or any of your fellow RT's know of such a word or do they know how the hospitals black ball personnel.

Thanks,

Jesse

Actually it is not illegal for companies to give a bad reference. The only thing they can not do is lie (slander).So no need for a code word. Good luck.

Jeff in Parkersburg, West Virginia

61 months ago

I have a question fo the topic creator (and anyone else I suppose). Is it common to accept a position without getting the offer in writing?

RC in Georgetown, Texas

61 months ago

In the world of Respiratory Therapy, Yes. Generally when you are offered a position an estimated hourly pay is given by the dept manager. After you accept, the HR dept will contact you and issue your hourly pay in writting. Most of the time the quoted pay and the final HR pay are pretty consistent.

Jeff in Parkersburg, West Virginia

61 months ago

RC in Georgetown, Texas said: In the world of Respiratory Therapy, Yes. Generally when you are offered a position an estimated hourly pay is given by the dept manager. After you accept, the HR dept will contact you and issue your hourly pay in writting. Most of the time the quoted pay and the final HR pay are pretty consistent.

That seems a little... unscupulous. I've gotten hosed in the past and now make sure I get an offer written up and emailed to me. I graduate next year but hearing this is a bit bothersome.

RC in Georgetown, Texas

61 months ago

It may sound "unscrupulous" it actually is not. The reality is the RT manager does not set the standard payscale for the dept. An official payscale list is issued by the the HR dept. This pay list is based on years of experience and specialites. Generally the manager will catorgorize a new hire at the highest level possible in order to obtain the therapist the highest pay. Next the manager submits a suggested pay to HR. The HR will follow the submission by finalizing it in writting.

In my years of experience, I have never received an offer letter by a dept. manager. At the time of interview you will be quoted an hourly pay. If you accept the position the HR dept. will issue an offer letter.

Good Luck

peter in Adelaide, Australia

60 months ago

candice nguyen in Tacoma, Washington said: Currently working in the seattle area. I have an AS degree in resp. therapy. Was thinking about going back to school but I dont think there is a difference in pay. Not too happy about the wage I currently make. So instead of trying to go back to school. I decided to start my own home based business and work part time at the hospital to keep my skills up. If any one is interested, please contact me.

Are they still hiring in Seattle area?

bb in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

SOOOOOO With all that being said...How can we increase our pay over all?

RC in Georgetown, Texas

59 months ago

If your a new grad, I would encourage you to work for a hospital that will orientate you in one of the higher level of care areas- NICU or ICU. Therapist who specialize in NICU often make more hourly. Once you've obtained the skills of being able to work in the NICU, you will be considered highly skilled which will increase your pay overall.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.