please tell me that rt in not a mistake

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 111)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

ecmonan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

reaching4thestars in memphis, Tennessee said: I start school next week.....reading this board make me want to change career. Please tell me I am not making a mistake

I have had a wonderfull career in the Respiratory Therapy field and find that many who respond negatively to the profession have never worked in other professions. I have worked in Critical Care areas as well as in the Pulmonary Function Lab for twenty years.No job is without problems but many who complain would compalain about any job that they would happen to find themselves in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MinhY in Hayward, California

59 months ago

But at your time, finding a job in RT was much easier than it is, wasn't it? I'm taking prerequisites for Respiratory Therapy. My chance to be admitted into this program is quite high. However, what I'm concerned now is post graduation. Can you tell me what I should do to have higher chance of being hired? Which department in the hospital should I volunteer to have experience? I know that Pulmonary department in Kaiser hospital has respiratory therapists, but I don't know of other departments. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Still searching in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

I graduated from LAVC last june 2008 or a little over a yr. but unfortunately I can't find a job. Most employers requires 1 year experience..it is frutrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

The problem is how we can gain experience if we don't have a place to practice our skills besides clinical training. Do you think that some hospitals allow us to volunteer with our license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

reaching4thestars in memphis, Tennessee said: I start school next week.....reading this board make me want to change career. Please tell me I am not making a mistake

Switich! There are no jobs right now. The job market is saturated because all of these schools just pumping out therapists. Employers now have an advantage;
They have a large labor pool of experienced therapists to choose from. This leaves no jobs for new grads. If your an experienced therapist, you may not notice the change in the job market, especially if you already have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

me

59 months ago

CHANGE ASaP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 2 YEARS AND CANNOT FIND A JoB NOWHERE......I cant even get a call back to go to an interview. Have had my resume redone so many times and have experience but not respiratory.........RUN RUN RUN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

me

59 months ago

MinhY in Hayward, California said: But at your time, finding a job in RT was much easier than it is, wasn't it? I'm taking prerequisites for Respiratory Therapy. My chance to be admitted into this program is quite high. However, what I'm concerned now is post graduation. Can you tell me what I should do to have higher chance of being hired? Which department in the hospital should I volunteer to have experience? I know that Pulmonary department in Kaiser hospital has respiratory therapists, but I don't know of other departments. Thank you!

I CANT GET A JOB IN RESPIRATORY TO COMPLAIN ABOUT>>>>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mia in Santee, California

59 months ago

Kaiser Permanente also has union and it is very, very hard to get job with them. I lost a job offer from them because they had to give it to some guy from the payroll department who graduated from California College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

mia in Santee, California said: Kaiser Permanente also has union and it is very, very hard to get job with them. I lost a job offer from them because they had to give it to some guy from the payroll department who graduated from California College.

Are you saying that just because we're California residents doesn't mean we can be hired by Kaiser? It also depends on schools, doesn't it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

respiratory07 in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

I graduated two years ago, and I'm still loving it! Still learning but it's an exciting field. It's fast-paced, never boring, and challenging!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jpaper in Charlotte, North Carolina

58 months ago

ill tell you the truth. ive been a therapist for 4 yrs. it is a ok job. you won't get rich but it is an ok living. if i could do it again i would do physical therapy or radiology cuz it is alot more money and less drama. respiratory doesn't get the respect it deserves. so to answer your question directly no i would not get into respiratory.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

58 months ago

respiratory07 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I graduated two years ago, and I'm still loving it! Still learning but it's an exciting field. It's fast-paced, never boring, and challenging!

Respiratory is not for everyone. Not like being a nurse is for everyone, but what ever you chose to do, do it for the right reason. I hear it so often, the reason's why individuals pick RT. Either they have asthma or know someone that does, or an parent that has empysema etc. I did it becuase, I worked as a Critical care tech for many yrs, but noticed how the nurses, would sadly be having to do more paper vs pt care, so thats one of the reasons, I like the autonomy, the freedom of a pace I can chose sometimes, also, the being able to work different dept's.I know , its not a money maker, but I am not in it for the money, I make a good living, vs alot in healthcare, and others out there in other fields of work.You can make even better pay, if you want to kill yourself w/ overtime, I chose it for the ablity to meet new people, and yes I know we dont get the respect. But remember , I and we all do, mock nurses. Exp when they come to us to fix their problems.Winter is the best time to get as many hours as you want, but when you get to leave at 1900, look back and watch the nurses that have to stay until 2000 or later. Its a hard field right now, but it will get better. I know this from experience, 10 yrs in the field, but to say after 2 yrs you find it exciting,give it sometime. I felt the same way, I have burned out many times, its all part of healthcare, nurse's do. I chose to travel, I was sick and tired of the politics at my hospital, and I have seen alot. But know I have seen places some would most likely not, AK, CO, WA, all of TX, UT,NM,ID,OR and all paid for. So RT may not be for everyone, find what makes you happy, not to listen to unhappy individuals. Like a RT friend was told 10yrs ago, by a manager. This hospital may not be for you, your niche is out there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reaching4thestars in memphis, Tennessee

58 months ago

Thanks Mark for you response this really help me I will leave it up to the good Lord on this one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wjohnson in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

Mark RCP in Texas said: Respiratory is not for everyone. Not like being a nurse is for everyone, but what ever you chose to do, do it for the right reason. I hear it so often, the reason's why individuals pick RT. Either they have asthma or know someone that does, or an parent that has empysema etc. I did it becuase, I worked as a Critical care tech for many yrs, but noticed how the nurses, would sadly be having to do more paper vs pt care, so thats one of the reasons, I like the autonomy, the freedom of a pace I can chose sometimes, also, the being able to work different dept's.I know , its not a money maker, but I am not in it for the money, I make a good living, vs alot in healthcare, and others out there in other fields of work.You can make even better pay, if you want to kill yourself w/ overtime, I chose it for the ablity to meet new people, and yes I know we dont get the respect. But remember , I and we all do, mock nurses. Exp when they come to us to fix their problems.Winter is the best time to get as many hours as you want, but when you get to leave at 1900, look back and watch the nurses that have to stay until 2000 or later. Its a hard field right now, but it will get better. I know this from experience, 10 yrs in the field, but to say after 2 yrs you find it exciting,give it sometime. I felt the same way, I have burned out many times, its all part of healthcare, nurse's do. I chose to travel, I was sick and tired of the politics at my hospital, and I have seen alot. But know I have seen places some would most likely not, AK, CO, WA, all of TX, UT,NM,ID,OR and all paid for. So RT may not be for everyone, find what makes you happy, not to listen to unhappy individuals. Like a RT friend was told 10yrs ago, by a manager. This hospital may not be for you, your niche is out there...

how did most ppl that said they have had respiratory issues and have gone into RT do in the field that you know of? What would be a legitimate reason then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

wjohnson in Los Angeles, California said: how did most ppl that said they have had respiratory issues and have gone into RT do in the field that you know of? What would be a legitimate reason then?

MONEY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

58 months ago

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California said: MONEY!!!!

Your right, most RRT's and have this better than though attitude. Like it has been said, CRT's work for their money, RRT want only a paycheck. I have heard this , more than enough times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

The work is the same; the title does not matter. We all work for money, let's be honest. I wanna see what RT would stick around if they took a 50% pay cut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

psdgma in Stuart, Florida

58 months ago

Been a respiratory therapist for 24 years, a traveler for 7 years. Jobs are slim to none. Even though Indeed "shows" 7,000 "new" jobs, please go to the last line of the posting....way too many agencies etc fishing for the same job. Me?..I'm seriously thinking home care. When I graduated back in the dark ages I signed up with a local agency in Phx...when hospitals are in a pinch they'll take anybody that can spell respiratory therapy---thus the one year experience. I've worked everything from 900 bed teaching hospitals to 16 bed critical access hospitals with a little bit of tranporting on the side....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sgrace in Westwego, Louisiana

58 months ago

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California said: Switich! There are no jobs right now. The job market is saturated because all of these schools just pumping out therapists. Employers now have an advantage;
They have a large labor pool of experienced therapists to choose from. This leaves no jobs for new grads. If your an experienced therapist, you may not notice the change in the job market, especially if you already have a job.

I just started RT and feel very overwhelmed with all the info we need to study. We had a test the other day and everyone in class did awful. I studied really hard. I feel really discouraged right now. I am a single parent, and I do work as a Medical Assistant in a Doctors office. They pay my health insurance. It's not a bad job, though it is hectic. I get paid decent. I work part time because I still have to pay rent. I am sacrificing so much right now. I am really thinking about dropping out because it is hard to work and go to school and be a parent. I knew it would be hard, but I am seeing there are no jobs out there. ANy advice? Sgrace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Are you studying at a community college or private school? The reason I said, "switch" was because nursing has alot more opportunites for advancement, both in pay and career. Nurses have a broader job description then RTs. However, the pay is almost the same but this only when comparing entry level nurses with RTs. An experienced nurse can make much more then an RT with the same amount of experience. Also, because nurses have a broader work description, it makes them a more valuable member of the health care team, in the eyes of hospital management. This is why you always hear that RTs are under appreciated. Respiratory therapists have to get more job responsibiIites and they have to be uniformed for therapists all over the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dustin

57 months ago

I'm a new RT student in the South FL area and have nothing but great things to say so far. Its tough but i expected it. Im making sacrifices but it will be worth it. The profession itself is brand new so everything is always changing and growing. The sky is the limit. Job security....decent pay check....and a meaningful career....you cant get much better than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

tom c. in Canton, Michigan

57 months ago

Dustin said: I'm a new RT student in the South FL area and have nothing but great things to say so far. Its tough but i expected it. Im making sacrifices but it will be worth it. The profession itself is brand new so everything is always changing and growing. The sky is the limit. Job security....decent pay check....and a meaningful career....you cant get much better than that.

How is this a brand new profession?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BABU in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

HAS ANY ONE GOEN THROUGH THE ON LINE RT PROGRAM AT BOISI STATE?
I'M AN RRT AND TRYING TO GET MY BS FROM THERE. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW SOME INFO ABOUT IT
TAHNKS
BABU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sridhar in Hyderabad, India

57 months ago

BABU in Austin, Texas said: HAS ANY ONE GOEN THROUGH THE ON LINE RT PROGRAM AT BOISI STATE?
I'M AN RRT AND TRYING TO GET MY BS FROM THERE. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW SOME INFO ABOUT IT
TAHNKS
BABU.

Dear Babu, you did your PGD-RT in NIMS, Hyderabad???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BABU in Arlington, Texas

57 months ago

Dear Babu, you did your PGD-RT in NIMS, Hyderabad???

NO I GOT MY A.S IN CALIFORNIA

Memphis RRT in Memphis, Tennessee

56 months ago

Respiratory is a good entrance into healthcare. Overall, dont plan to retire in it let it be a stepping stone for you. Dream big respratory care is not big.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jazzy S in Fontana, California

56 months ago

ecmonan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I have had a wonderfull career in the Respiratory Therapy field and find that many who respond negatively to the profession have never worked in other professions. I have worked in Critical Care areas as well as in the Pulmonary Function Lab for twenty years.No job is without problems but many who complain would compalain about any job that they would happen to find themselves in.

I really liked you what you wrote. I am about to start my RT at american carrer college, and i have been really scared, after reading peoples negative thoughts. This is soemthing i really want to do, i dont see myself as RN.
Plaese help me, I ahve couple of questions, such as
1, will i be able to find a job as an RT after 2 years?
2, how much do they start with?
3, IS american carrer a good school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Memphis RRT in Memphis, Tennessee said: Respiratory is a good entrance into healthcare. Overall, dont plan to retire in it let it be a stepping stone for you. Dream big respratory care is not big.

"well said"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California said: Are you studying at a community college or private school? The reason I said, "switch" was because nursing has alot more opportunites for advancement, both in pay and career. Nurses have a broader job description then RTs. However, the pay is almost the same but this only when comparing entry level nurses with RTs. An experienced nurse can make much more then an RT with the same amount of experience. Also, because nurses have a broader work description, it makes them a more valuable member of the health care team, in the eyes of hospital management. This is why you always hear that RTs are under appreciated. Respiratory therapists have to get more job responsibiIites and they have to be uniformed for therapists all over the country.

Who cares about the mangement, and more money. I think one should be proud of doing their part of the job. Plaese dont be so negative about RT. I think it depends on your personalities, I wanted to be a nurse, i looked into nrsing and i found out its not for me, I want to be a RT. I will continue with my education maybe a BA in public health and thn MBA. I think RT is the best steping stone. If people dont appreciate you as an RT, make them appreciate you, money is not everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Mark RCP in Texas said: Your right, most RRT's and have this better than though attitude. Like it has been said, CRT's work for their money, RRT want only a paycheck. I have heard this , more than enough times.

what is the difference between a RRT and CRT?
How much is the starting for both. I am new in this field. I will be starting RT program at american carrer college in california. I have prepared myself for the challanges. I dont wanna make alot of money, I want to enjoy my career, come home and enjoy my life, not cry as nurses.

also I heard that there is a lot of "Down-time" what does that mean?

jazz

56 months ago

Jazzy S in Fontana, California said: Who cares about the mangement, and more money. I think one should be proud of doing their part of the job. Plaese dont be so negative about RT. I think it depends on your personalities, I wanted to be a nurse, i looked into nrsing and i found out its not for me, I want to be a RT. I will continue with my education maybe a BA in public health and thn MBA. I think RT is the best steping stone. If people dont appreciate you as an RT, make them appreciate you, money is not everything.

It is MOSTLY about money. I believe you can love your job but money is always the primary motivational force for pursuing a career. You can Love what you do and get paid well. However, no one works for free and no one should be expected to. Ask yourself would you be on this thread if RTs were getting paid 10 bucks an hour? Would you go through two years of schooling and pay 60k if RTs were making peanuts? By the way, I recommend going to a community college for your RT schooling. American career college is expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jazzy S in RanchoCucamonga, California

56 months ago

yes you are right at some point. But i have done my homework. I prefer ACC over community college. Thanks alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BOREDRT in Pico Rivera, California

56 months ago

Jazzy S in Fontana, California said: what is the difference between a RRT and CRT?
How much is the starting for both. I am new in this field. I will be starting RT program at american carrer college in california. I have prepared myself for the challanges. I dont wanna make alot of money, I want to enjoy my career, come home and enjoy my life, not cry as nurses.

also I heard that there is a lot of "Down-time" what does that mean?

jazz

A CRT is a certified RT, the RRT is a registered respiratory therapist. The pay difference is minimal. Mostly its still about experience in this feild, though I strongly recomend obtaining the RRT. You simply graduate ACC (not an ideal school BTW, SJVC is close to Fontana you should have went there) then you take pass the CRT and are instantly eligible to take the RRT being that ACC like all schools are now advanced level only.
A lot of down time means just that, you are not working the entire 12 hour shift. Especially if you work nights at a lower acuity facility or sub acute. Do some more intense research; there are many health related feilds, RT like nursing is a bit over saturated at the moment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LuvaRT in Lady Lake, Florida

56 months ago

Respiratory, respiratory, respiratory...I must say that I absolutely love it!! Very proud of my title and credentials. Definetly recommend it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LuvaRT in Lady Lake, Florida

56 months ago

PS...pay difference in FL between a CRT and RRT is about 4 or 5 dollars. RRT is the only way to do it! Get registered...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Roseville, California

53 months ago

Jazzy S in Fontana, California said: I really liked you what you wrote. I am about to start my RT at american carrer college, and i have been really scared, after reading peoples negative thoughts. This is soemthing i really want to do, i dont see myself as RN.
Plaese help me, I ahve couple of questions, such as
1, will i be able to find a job as an RT after 2 years?
2, how much do they start with?
3, IS american carrer a good school?

Sorry to say the market is very tough right now for RT's you'' find a job if you are willing to move, or maybe take a few different per diem jobs at first.

Starting salary in Ca varies but 28-30 may be average

American River is not really a good program at least is was not. I went there and the teachers sucked big time. Get as much experience at your clinical sites, learn on your own, good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bali

50 months ago

I belive it truly depends on the person. Don't care what others have to say and also look harder for a job, or talk to more people. I want to do Respiratory therapy,not nursing, because i just cant imainge myself as one. After, a couple years of this, i plan to get my bachlors and then become a physcal therapist.If one does find a job its great and worth it.Lets be honest, everyone's having a hard time finding a job, no matter what field your in. Its the economy thats just on the downside these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria2rrt in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

you are making a big mistake. I'm sorry I have been a respiratory therapist for 17 years and can't find a job anywhere. The field is totally over saturated with therapist. Go for nursing. You will have a better chance at finding a job. Don't waste your time and money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MikeMtz in San Antonio, Texas

50 months ago

me said: CHANGE ASaP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 2 YEARS AND CANNOT FIND A JoB NOWHERE......I cant even get a call back to go to an interview. Have had my resume redone so many times and have experience but not respiratory.........RUN RUN RUN.

-does your school offer a job placement? the school im starting at this fall has a 100% job placement.

paul in Newark, New Jersey

50 months ago

I hated being in school for respiratory therapy an decided to quit after a years the job is so boring and disgusting. The only medicine we seem to be giving is Albuterol and the minute we start rounds its all about the mucous suctioning and cleaning the patient, which is totally gross cause the smell is horrific. I say becoming a garbage man is better than this profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

gus in Elmwood Park, Illinois

50 months ago

paul in Newark, New Jersey said: I hated being in school for respiratory therapy an decided to quit after a years the job is so boring and disgusting. The only medicine we seem to be giving is Albuterol and the minute we start rounds its all about the mucous suctioning and cleaning the patient, which is totally gross cause the smell is horrific. I say becoming a garbage man is better than this profession.

So what do you do now? How do you make a living?

iceman in Chino Hills, California

48 months ago

the jobs are now hard to get. i graduated from a top community college and thank god for that or I would be in huge debt.

i work in a nursing home with ventilators and I can tell you this, it's really not a bad job. But one thing is for sure, nursing is on top of you and you will get little to no respect. nurses are lazy and do not want to their job and for every little thing they blame rt. the cna's throw patients around like animals and secretions mobilize and ooze out then they come and call us and imply we don't do our job or or go to nursing supervisors and rant.

if it wasn't for the economic crisis, I would quit and look elsewhere but I can't find no jobs with 2 years of experience. all new students should look elsewhere, this field is saturated and not something you want to do your whole life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in San Diego, California

47 months ago

PLEASE help, I don't have any clinical experience. However, After i read all your experience i decided to not go RT or nurse filed. I want to go for BS in Public health. I already got my associate from one of SD community college. Do you think it's is not a good idea? BS in public health with out clinical background it is worthy? please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

coolchicn in Clarkston, Georgia

47 months ago

respiratory07 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I graduated two years ago, and I'm still loving it! Still learning but it's an exciting field. It's fast-paced, never boring, and challenging!

Where in GA did you go to school for RT. assuming you did. And whats the job market like for RTs in GA?

Iamstillbreathing in Essex Junction, Vermont

42 months ago

I am a Respiratory therapy student in vermont, not only are there regular job postings at are largest hospital but the smaller hospitals in outlining towns are always looking. if you look at posting they all say experience but send your application anyway, Fletcher Allen Medical center( the largest in Vermont) highered 6 new grads within 3 months of graduation with no experience. the pay is good 21-34 an hour and i have no doubt upon completion I will have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lookingforgoodwork

40 months ago

Do any of you know anything about PIMA. Is it really accredited for
Respiratory Therapy or is it a fly by night school?

sdrrt858 in San Diego, California

40 months ago

Lookingforgoodwork said: Do any of you know anything about PIMA. Is it really accredited for
Respiratory Therapy or is it a fly by night school?

PIMA's respiratory program in San Diego is one of the most respected programs in the area by all the major hospitals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Duran in Denton, Texas

35 months ago

I hear a lot of talk about requiring all CRT's to become registered in the state of tx. I'm a CRT who is not elgible to take the Registry without going back to school. School would be a challenge, because of many family responsibities. Some feed back please.

unemployed rt;( in Palm Springs, California

35 months ago

Still searching in Los Angeles, California said: I graduated from LAVC last june 2008 or a little over a yr. but unfortunately I can't find a job. Most employers requires 1 year experience..it is frutrating.

It is I can not find a job either and i have six years experience and ample references....;(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed rt;( in Palm Springs, California

35 months ago

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California said: Switich! There are no jobs right now. The job market is saturated because all of these schools just pumping out therapists. Employers now have an advantage;

I have experience over 6 yrs and i can not find a job;(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.