should I pursue this career choice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

smitty192

23 months ago

So I'm in a sticky situation. 4th year of college and really have gotten no where but some general education requirements. Long term goal is to go to PA school, but decided to do respiratory before hand to gain experience in the field. But I still need my bachelors as well. I was accepted into the RT program that starts in the spring, but it is only an Associates degree at a private university(only place that has it around here). The cost is quite high(looking at 25k+ for 2 year program). With the medical field the way it is now, is it even worth me going into debt for this or would i be better off finishing up my bachelors degree and take a step closer to PA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana

23 months ago

Forgot to add that I'm in Louisiana and everything I've heard is that jobs down here don't pay the best, but would be 100% willing to relocate if need be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

p_cakes017 in Englewood, Colorado

23 months ago

In Ky jobs are very hard to come by unless you live in Louisville. The pay here is awful. At least $3 an hour less then the lowest paying job in Nashville which I hear is not the best paying either. In Washington state the pay is pretty good at about 20 something an hour for base pay. I would have gone into nursing had I known all this ahead of time. My program was VERY strict and VERY competitive. We started with 22 and graduated 12.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California

23 months ago

smitty192 said: So I'm in a sticky situation. 4th year of college and really have gotten no where but some general education requirements. Long term goal is to go to PA school, but decided to do respiratory before hand to gain experience in the field. But I still need my bachelors as well. I was accepted into the RT program that starts in the spring, but it is only an Associates degree at a private university(only place that has it around here). The cost is quite high(looking at 25k+ for 2 year program). With the medical field the way it is now, is it even worth me going into debt for this or would i be better off finishing up my bachelors degree and take a step closer to PA?

You MUST make SURE that your private-school credits are transferrable to state colleges! Most will tell you that they are, but they are not. All that debt and time/effort will be worth nothing towards your PA--in most cases of private school RT programs. The incurred debt is not worth it (unless they will transter to a state/community college PA program, or even toward medical school, later on). Ask the school for references you can contact--students who graduated--and call and ask them about their experience finding work and how their post-program debt was structured. Good luck with whatever road you choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana

23 months ago

well none of my respiratory classes would transfer to anything, they would be strictly for RT.The pre reqs i have taken there do transfer however, there is only 4 classes other than RT classes I've taken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DNA in Royal Oak, Michigan

22 months ago

I think you would be better off just getting a Bachelor's instead of doing RT first. Since you're not interested in it as a career, don't even waste your time. Because really, if you're going to a community college, it takes more than two years if you include waiting lists, etc. I know you need a lot of hours of clinical experience to apply to the PA program, but surely there's other ways to obtain them without doing RT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana

22 months ago

Well I just recently came across the bachelor's of respiratory therapy online completion programs. Several schools offer them(boise, Kansas state, and a few others). This is making me rethink things because you complete the degree at your own pace once you begin work as an RRT. This would allow me to still get my bachelors in a timely manner while working. Anybody have input on these programs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California

22 months ago

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana said: Well I just recently came across the bachelor's of respiratory therapy online completion programs. Several schools offer them(boise, Kansas state, and a few others). This is making me rethink things because you complete the degree at your own pace once you begin work as an RRT. This would allow me to still get my bachelors in a timely manner while working. Anybody have input on these programs?

Why are you looking to get a Bachelors in RT if you are ultimately going for PA? Again, those credits usually won't transfer--and it's an even larger debt to incur for something that is so unrelated to your goal. The job market is oversaturated with RTs so you'll be hit hard with debt, yet you may not find an RT position--then, what would you do? If you are already working as an RT, and the NBRC requirements change to require your specific situation MUST have a Bachelor's to sit for the RT exam, then that is an option--but that is a LONG way down the road, yet. Again, a LOT of debt for little chance of even obtaining an RT position.

Call a Hospital/Facility that has PA's, and speak to HR--as them what would make you the best candidate to be hired as a PA. Then DO IT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California

22 months ago

smitty192 said: So I'm in a sticky situation. 4th year of college and really have gotten no where but some general education requirements. Long term goal is to go to PA school, but decided to do respiratory before hand to gain experience in the field. But I still need my bachelors as well. I was accepted into the RT program that starts in the spring, but it is only an Associates degree at a private university(only place that has it around here). The cost is quite high(looking at 25k+ for 2 year program). With the medical field the way it is now, is it even worth me going into debt for this or would i be better off finishing up my bachelors degree and take a step closer to PA?

Finish your degree. Call a Hospital/Facility that has PA's, and speak to HR--as them what would make you the best candidate to be hired as a PA. Then DO IT! You will NOT be accepted into a PA program with most private on-line BS degrees. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana

22 months ago

I understand where your're coming from, but it's not a private online bachelors. It's just a bachelors from boise, or KSU or wherever. I would have my associates in RT, then move on to complete the bachelors in RT and receive that. I already have majority of pre reqs taken for PA school, bios, chems, etc. Once I received my bachelors, all I would have left to do is take the last couple classes I need as pre reqs, and then apply. Am I missing something here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana

22 months ago

All in all, this route is faster than getting my bachelors in something unrelated)2 1/2 years),not having any patient care experience which is required for PA vs getting my AS in RT, HOPEFULLY finding a job somewhere, and work on my bachelors in RT at my own pace which would take about year and a half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cappucino_k in Denver, Colorado

14 months ago

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana said: All in all, this route is faster than getting my bachelors in something unrelated)2 1/2 years),not having any patient care experience which is required for PA vs getting my AS in RT, HOPEFULLY finding a job somewhere, and work on my bachelors in RT at my own pace which would take about year and a half.

One thing you need to be very careful of is making sure your science credits do not "expire" so to speak. Many programs will only accept Bio/A&P/Micro/Chem etc..within 5-7 years. I am currently re-taking mine as it just past the 7 year mark. It's a gamble to reinvest retaking in terms of time, money and effort when the job market in so many medical fields are stagnant. You could easily do a 9 month MA program to get your 2 year medical experience no? Not sure if that would qualify or not.

I do believe there is much to be told in the next 2 yeas as Obamacare is fully implemented and kinks begin to be worked out. It may get better, but then again it may get worse. One thought I have considered, is that insurers will tighten the belt and reimbursement to healthcare facilities will be less and less therefore forcing hospitals to cut expenses/personnel even more than they are currently. I hope/pray this will not be the the way it goes.....time tells the tale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Respiratory Therapist in Long Branch, New Jersey

14 months ago

Cappucino_k in Denver, Colorado said: One thing you need to be very careful of is making sure your science credits do not "expire" so to speak. Many programs will only accept Bio/A&P/Micro/Chem etc..within 5-7 years. I am currently re-taking mine as it just past the 7 year mark. It's a gamble to reinvest retaking in terms of time, money and effort when the job market in so many medical fields are stagnant. You could easily do a 9 month MA program to get your 2 year medical experience no? Not sure if that would qualify or not.

I do believe there is much to be told in the next 2 yeas as Obamacare is fully implemented and kinks begin to be worked out. It may get better, but then again it may get worse. One thought I have considered, is that insurers will tighten the belt and reimbursement to healthcare facilities will be less and less therefore forcing hospitals to cut expenses/personnel even more than they are currently. I hope/pray this will not be the the way it goes.....time tells the tale.

No don't do it please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

Lots of job cut in Healthcare.

Read www.dailyjobcuts.com to see the many hospitals laying off people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.