Top restaurant server skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every restaurant server must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your restaurant server expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Joel ND in Fargo, North Dakota

80 months ago

#1 people person
#2 multi tasking ability
#3 role with what ever happens

breaking the ice is one the best things a server can do start with the weather and then basically anything goes within reason .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Hill in Naples, Florida

64 months ago

I personally think there are way more than 3 traits to be a good server, more like 20+. Go to server school and learn what it takes to be a good server.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Seattle, Washington

57 months ago

Michael Hill in Naples, Florida said: I personally think there are way more than 3 traits to be a good server, more like 20+. Go to server school and learn what it takes to be a good server.

So why did you not write about even one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gio in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every restaurant server must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your restaurant server expertise?

The biggest difference between good and great servers is that GREAT SERVER have the ability to make a connection with the guest and make them repeat guests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dr.michaelblunk@gmail.com in Louisville, Kentucky

40 months ago

Hello!

I teach job skills classes for a homeless shelter. Any good tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Michael Blunk
dr.michaelblunk@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lauramet@aol.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

Michael Hill in Naples, Florida said: I personally think there are way more than 3 traits to be a good server, more like 20+. Go to server school and learn what it takes to be a good server.

Michael - where are you? You changed your phone number. (Laura)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JC in Fort Worth, Texas

29 months ago

I haven't seen in 22 years of server experience anyone come out of a "server school"... however, what I have seen is the wrong kind of person wait tables simply because of the daily money and its "flexibility"... To be in the front of the house in the restaurant business you ABSOLUTELY have to be a people person - with the customer AND coworkers, period. Multitasking and ability to improvise and run when you have to are also a must... so that's FOUR traits... who's got more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Violett in Pembroke, Ontario

29 months ago

I just started my job and people compliment me on how nice I am to the customers. I really am a people person and I find that the more you talk to the customers and ask what they liked about the place, you seem more in tuned with what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Milton James in Bhubaneswar, India

24 months ago

Restaurant employees meet customers all day long. Therefore, it is important that the employee possess excellent people skills. This includes a friendly personality, the ability to work well under time restraints and the ability to keep calm when dealing with angry customers.

Best Regards
Milton James

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.