AT&T Age a Problem

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Amanda

96 months ago

If you have been in retail more than 10 years, they label you as old. I have been a retail manager for 30 years, and they sent me a no thank you for just a part time sales. If you want to work there, to even get an interview, you have to lie or leave out anything that looks like you are more than 12.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry stephens in Athens, Georgia

95 months ago

However,if my chance there a position open in sales, or driving somewhere I do hold a CDL license class B. You contact me at
[Edited by Host] Thanks and do look forward on hearing from you.

***Message from Host***
Contact info deleted. Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile. Also please be cautious when sending your information to anyone on the forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xxxxxxx in Braintree, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Amanda is 100% correct. The company lies to its customers and employees. Very unpressional organization. No job is better than a job with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Morgan in Crawfordsville, Indiana

82 months ago

It would probably help your job search if you could spell 'unprofessional' correctly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stu in Hamilton, Ohio

81 months ago

Amanda said: If you have been in retail more than 10 years, they label you as old. I have been a retail manager for 30 years, and they sent me a no thank you for just a part time sales. If you want to work there, to even get an interview, you have to lie or leave out anything that looks like you are more than 12.

THERE IS A CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT IN THE WORKS AGAINST ATT FOR THEIR AGE DISCRIMINATION!!! IT IS RAMPANT ACROSS THE NATION. I HAD MADE IT THROUGH THEIR "PROCESS" AND AS SOON AS I WALKED IN THE DOOR FOR A FACE-TO-FACE INTERVIEW I SAW ONLY 20-SOMETHING-YEAR-OLDS...I AM CLOSE TO 50 AND THEY WERE STARING AT ME LIKE I HAD 2 HEADS!! (OR I WAS THEIR MOTHER...). IT WAS THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL EXPEREINCE OF MY ENTIRE LIFE IN THE RETAIL BUSINESS! THE "GIRL" WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO INTERVIEW ME WOULDN'T AND THE "DUDE" THAT DID ASKED ME 3 QUESTIONS WITHOUT LOOKING AT ME. WHEN I GOT HOME TO CHECK MY STATUS WITH ATT THEY HAD ALREADY SENT ME THE "THE POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED" LETTER...AND TO THIS VERY DAY THEY ARE STILL PLACING ADS FOR OPENINGS FOR THE LOCATIONS I WAS INTERESTED IN! GO FIGURE! THEIR DAY WILL COME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

febe in Madison, Mississippi

74 months ago

The abuse of age discrimination explodes in ATT and many memphis, tn organizations. They get by with it because rarely anyone sues or exposes them to the EEOC@

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denee VanDyke in Seffner, Florida

73 months ago

Stu, if there is a class action suit for age discrimination against AT&T I would like more info on it. Or if there is any action for retaliation I would also like more on that too. There are numerous complaints here in Florida on their employment practices, I believe that call that forced attrition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ANONYMOUS in Westfield, New Jersey

69 months ago

AT&T executives feel that they can decide the rules on "blacklisting employees" by tagging a "not fit" status next to their social security numbers in the system etemp that all their contractors use to place people in jobs. The reason why the "not fit"status is put in has NOTHING to do with skills. It has to do with the fact that these people took certain downsizing packages such as VRIP and CIC. What AT&T is doing is age discrimination since the average people who were downsized with these packages are older than the average person who applies for a job in AT&T. Then what happens is a person who was forced out with one of these packages can not get even a contracting job in Telecom if AT&T is engaged in the business. This closes off the careers of many older and seasoned Telecom professionals since AT&T has a much greater presence in Telecom than any other company. This appears to be illegal and down right inhumane to do to people who spent a life time building up skills in Telecom.

Law suits take a long time. The baby boomer generation is huge and I am sure the largest consumer of Telecom goods in the nation. If the word is spread and we stop using products and services from companies like AT&T which have these practices $ will talk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lavonne iron wing in Albuquerque, New Mexico

61 months ago

IF YOUR AGE 65, WHAT WILL BE SAIDED? NATIVE AMERICAN, FEMALE. USE TO WORK FOR MA BELL IN THE 70'S. NEED JOB TODAY!! WOULD IT BE WORTH A TRY??? IN ALBUQUERQUE, NM?? OR IN FARMINGTON,NM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maryjo in San Francisco, California

53 months ago

I heard that AT&T tag retirees social security to automatically eliminate them. Does anyone know how this is done?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

M William in Key West, Florida

52 months ago

I was surprised to find this topic here and even more surprised to see it is still garnering responses.
Folks, there is a current class action suit against AT&T with regards to age discrimination. It started as a complaint to the EEOC in 2007. Yes, as of 2009 it is now a full blown lawsuit (EEOC v AT&T - 1:2009cv07323).And yes they take time. If you feel you have been discriminated against by AT&T regarding age or for any reason, quit bitchin' and call your local EEOC office. AT&T has hundreds of current,pending employment discrimination cases filed against them. They have lost a few nationally noticeable ones as well regarding religion, FMLA,disabilities and race.
Any AT&T retiree that applied for aN AT&T job and didn't get, you really need to call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenneth in New York, New York

45 months ago

Amanda said: If you have been in retail more than 10 years, they label you as old. I have been a retail manager for 30 years, and they sent me a no thank you for just a part time sales. If you want to work there, to even get an interview, you have to lie or leave out anything that looks like you are more than 12.

The same thing is happening to me. i've been trying to get in the door of AT&t wireless for the past 7 years now. its true that they label you. they ask u on the job app are u age 25 years or older. then they ask u are u age 35 years or older. i was even asked was I a hispanic or a non hispanic. every at&t wireless postion i apply for, they quickly respond they hired someone that had more credentials than i had. or they will just label" not considering you at this time"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenneth in New York, New York

45 months ago

i will exercise my rights and foward a complaint aginst this organization. i just finished writing a report against them. i will forward this to the human rights commission tomorrow.

fw8419 in Saco, Maine

36 months ago

their day is comming

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

blueyz8288 in Danvers, Massachusetts

5 months ago

How do I find out if I am being considered –for sure, after completing second interview?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.