Refresher Courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 341)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

40 months ago

jaymar5454@aol.com in Brick, New Jersey said: Continued...Some of the nurses did the honorable thing and paid to get out of the contract they had signed. Some with the covert assistance of "foreign nurse" associations (some believe the hospitals assisted as well)sued and settled out of court allowing them out of their contracts. I for one do not blame these nurses for wanting a better life however our government allowed this to occur with very little proof that there was a need for so many imported RN's. The agency nurses were able to hold on for another several years but that too would change. These nurses started working overtime and getting two jobs. They complained about agency RN's and were able to get them DNR'd sothat they might get the extra time. At about the same time NJHA started tracking nurses and any complaints made about them. You are not informed about the complaints. You can have great references. It will not matter and you have no right to see a file and answer to complaints it works like the blacklist created in Texas for RN's known as Group One. Look it up.So in closing good luck to all the new nurses, be very careful about getting people angry, do not voice an opinion and remember most of the nurses that came from another country are good hard working nurses. They just wanted something better. The fault lies within the hospital corporations (CEO's making over a million per year), the agencies that thought they found the golden idol and the banks and government that will never release these nurses from their student loans.

Jaymar....I haven't been on this forum in a while. I had made comments a few months back telling nurses that my goal is to get this BS info about the so called nursing shortage to the media. Everything you stated about the hospitals hiring foreign nurses is so true. I was on another forum that literally went on for about two days and the nurses were attacking the Fillipinos for coming over here and...cont.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

To Jaymar...continued from previous post....taking our jobs. I admit, I jumped on the bandwagon. The discussion turned into an attack on the Filipinos. I finally said that it's not their fault. It's the hospital's fault for recruiting foreign nurses over here for lower wages. These nurses are here on visas and I guess the gripe on the forum was that none of these nurses plan on staying here. They used to admit it saying..."when I go back to my country", etc. They send their money back to their family back home and when they are done sucking up American dollars without putting money into our economy, they go back to their countries, retire and live quite nicely while American nurses are out of work, many ready to retire, but can't. I've said in many of my posts that everything that you said, as well as many other nurses HAS TO BE PRESENTED TO THE MEDIA. Well, I received an email recently and it was from NumbersUSA. They were asking if Governor Cuomo should continue to hire illegal immigrants to fill open jobs. Well, I answered that survey immediately. Then, there was a question section, so I emailed them and asked them how I can get information to the media about the falsely stated "nursing shortage". I couldn't believe that this woman answered my question and she said something to the effect of "are hospitals hiring foreign nurses who are here on visas?" I answered her, telling her, that, yes, that is the reason for so many unemployed American Nurses. She told me to send her ANY information I have regarding this issue. I did mention this on another forum and I had a nurse respond telling me she is going to join. The website is NumbersUSA. You just have to create a username and password. Your first comment where you stated: "This is how the game worked in NJ", etc. is so accurate. I'm not telling you what to do, but that whole comment should be sent to NumbersUSA. I would paste the email I received from her, but there's a legal statement attached..con

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

and I'm very serious about this and don't want to do anything illegal as it will just be dismissed. Any of you nurses out there who feel that part of our "nursing shortage" has to do with hospitals hiring/recruiting foreign nurses here on visas, I would reccommend you joining NumbersUSA and speak your feelings. The more, the better. I can copy and paste what I wrote to them (it was brief) and possibly twist the words around in the response I received, but they seemed very interested and I was also asked if I have any articles relating to the nursing shortage, or the hiring of foreign nurses. Ironically, I cut out every article I read relating to these issues and have saved them. I saved them for the purpose of getting the media to #1Recognize nurses and #2Recognize the problems there are and that the hype of "the nursing shortage" is false. I just found an article the other day that I had cut out of our local paper and the headline is:"Global Call For Nurses" "Recruiting Nurses Abroad". I am going to scan it and send it to NumbersUSA. I hope anyone who is in agreement with me will do the same. It's time consuming, but I consider a form of lobbying. Hey, you don't know until you try. I'm about to throw in the towel for nursing but I'm not going down without a fight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joanRN in chicago, Illinois

40 months ago

from what i see, hear and know...the problem seems to be bigger than foreign nurses taking 'our jobs'. that certainly may be a part of the problem, but i have been told and have read repeatedly that once you are out of an acute setting anywhere from 2-5 years, depending on the state you are in, that you are deemed ineligble for hire. EVEN if you have taken a Refresher course! nurses who have 20 years experience, nurses who take time off to raise a family or care for an aging parent, nurses with valuable skills and life experiences are completely overlooked.
has anyone asked the american nurse association or other advocate / lobbying group about this situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

To: JoanRN..You have such a valid point. I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a nurse and she was wondering if I was working YET. Also, spoke with a local travel recruiter here and it was nice to hear someone say "I can't believe what these hospitals are doing to you nurses....just because you went into home care,(my case) or long term care they don't even want to look at your resume." Then, she continues to say how years ago nurses could leave to raise a family and go back to their old jobs...who do they expect is going to take care of "us", the one's with no children, etc. when we get old?" I'm not knocking nurses with BSNs, but that's the other stipulation hospitals are putting on nurses. Now, so many hospitals are requiring nurses to have their BSNs in order to get a job and SOME, here, and I'm sure elsewhere are requiring nurses, who are already employed at the hospital, to have a BSN within 3-5 years. How fair is that for a nurse who has maybe 6 or 7 years to retire and she just wants to go to work and save for her retirement, but will now be required to enroll in classes towards his/her BSN. So, there goes her vacation time unless she goes online (which to me is BS). This recruiter even said, I'd rather have a nurse with 10 years of experience over a new grad with a BSN. It's all about money and this is the hospital's way of "weeding out" some potentially excellent nurses. A complete shame if you ask me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Phoenix, Arizona

40 months ago

I do think you are correct. The problem is much bigger than just foreign nurses. Anything over 3 years away from the hospital and you are unemployable even if your license has been kept active.
3 nurses I know took the Refresher and still have not found anything. But I think you also have to do what works. In my situation I do not have any choice. 2 hospital HR Dept's have told me I would be hired except for needing a Refresher course. So I am signed up to start in May, 2012. I did not want this but I do not have any other choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

animal lover 123 in Lawrenceville, Georgia

40 months ago

There are some great refresher courses.
Others appear great, but unfortunately some nurses continue to eat their young.
Be careful where you go to in the Atlanta metropolitan area of GA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kbear in Granby, Connecticut

39 months ago

At least I am not alone. My husband tells me you're a nurse just go out and get a job. I have been looking for 2 years now. Stupid me made family a priority took jobs that fit around child care needs. I am not even sure I want to go back to nursing. I feel I have transferable skills but I can't get any interviews in anything else. Unemployment has run out. I don't see how taking an online refresher course at $3000.00 will prepare me to do anything. If I had $3000.00 I 'd probably use it towards a masters but not in nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Sherry Jackson in Marietta, Georgia said: Here is the cost breakdown for attending Kennesaw State Uni's Refresher course in Georgia
Program Tuition:
Online Course Fee: $1695 OnCampus Course Fee: $1395
Textbooks
Approximately $500
Uniform $50-60
Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening
$78.50
Malpractice/Liability Insurance - Limits of Liability: $1,000,000/3,000,000. Cost
about $89.00 or less.
Health/Accidental Insurance (not sure of cost of that)
Proof of current MMR immunization…- got to pay for that
Annual PPD or Chest x-ray - another expense
Tetanus Series - another expense
Hepatitis B immunization series - another expense
Satisfactory completion of physical examination indicating a good state of health.- There goes another up to $100.00

So that 1695.00 is not what you pay, try adding up all the extras that go with it and we are talking 3 grand?
Kind of a big road block for laid off families! And same here, no idea if this refresher course will open any doors! So this could be a waste of money when it could be used to pay for utilities, food, mortgage that is threatening to foreclose!!!
What a joke. Incidently, I had close to 30 yrs experience but had to stay home these past 5 years to take care of ailing husband.

The alternative is Emory where the reentry is free, but they request that you work with them a year afterwards. However, a large percentage of my intake had to leave due to harasment. The rest of the intake found the reentry was fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

what is your 'intake'?? i've never heard that term used before...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I was referring to "the group of incoming nurses" who would do the refresher course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HoustonAmber in The Woodlands, Texas

39 months ago

I completed the Nurse Refresher Program in Stafford Texas a few months ago with PHES. I did not have funds and they helped get The Texas Workforce to pay for the course, vaccines, CPR, board fees, etc. If you are getting any federal or state funds like food stamps, unemployment or other criteria I don't know about you probably qualify. I am sure there is something similiar in your state if you are not here. The school or program has to be approved which they were and they give the school a voucher, I guess kind of like an IOU and that allows you to enroll and start. I was very impressed with the instructors who recommended since I did not know what I wanted to do that I go to several types of facilities they had agreements with. I went to 4 different clinical sites: Conroe Regional Medical Center, Kindred Rehab,a really nice nursing home (personally didn't know there was a such thing) and an outpatient clinic. These experinces helped me immensely in feeling prepared after 16 years out of clinical. I added the refresher program on my resume under education and the clinical under experience. I had previously worked in Med Surg and Tele. I then did at least start getting calls back and a few interviews. I had 3 offers and actually decided to hire on at one of the clinical sites even though it was further away and not as much money as the others. My reason is the camaraderie among the staff there and how personable the CNO was. It just felt like home. I took the time to say all this to encourage you guys to keep your chin up. I hope you find something that works for you. We had a group of 18 nurses (LVN and RN mix) in our class and we keep in touch on email and most have found employment. It is harder right now with the economy but, not impossible which it was before the refresher with Professional Healthcare Education Service. Much luck and blessings to my fellow nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

wow!!! not THAT'S encouraging!

39 months ago

oops! i meant NOW that's encouraging

Michele Kennedy in Thousand Oaks, California

39 months ago

I'm in the same boat, rowing with the same oars. Time we contact the ACLU. Where are our nursing unions? Why are we so foresaken? Because we're women in a "women's" profession, suffering in silence. Time we went to the press regularly, everytime we're shunned. I'm so pissed. A few months ago I acutally saw an HR experience LIMIT like someone naive made a booboo... "more than two years less than five". !! These hospital corporations are botom line driven, sisters. I actually asked a recruiter "does a MD's skills disappear and become obsolete after two years?" I just wote "why" I've been out for 2+ years in my newest cover letter to the last set of jobs applied for. I said "I didn't choose to be out of the hospital. ("Hello!!") "They were letting nurses go and having a hiring freeze, in the state I'd moved to from California." So I came back home to CA, thinking " no problem. I'll get a job in L.A. HA! After a year, nothing!" I'd say we can become a collective. I think we've forgotten we can be a force, a voice for everyone in our shoes. No job yet either. I think I've applied to every hospital in the SFValley, couple of times, one four a once, (two no's from them already), pharma rep companies, home health, one registry drags its feet not placng me, even nanny, producer assistant! Have had three interviews in a year. Doesn't this impress anyone as smacking of blantant discrimination? We need a class action suit. Refresher course bound soon. What else is left but being a cocktail waitress like my college days,pet sitter, cupcake maker. Sounds fun after living that "thankless life" as a hospital nurse half my adult life. Kinda like being a mom. No one notices, except when we whine and i can't stop!. We're people of action. It's time to "kick it up a notch" and get our representatives and civil rights Law Firms involved. I'm strongly favoring FNP school, our years and miles in the hallways will be respected and our wage $100k in L.A.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I have never felt that our professional organizations ever represented us they are more concerned with APRNs and Universal Health care. I honestly want to kiss nursing goodbye. There is no recognition for all the things we do. How many times did you ever get a thank you? There is the old expression that nurses eat their young and now they cast out their old as well. I came along when hosptial schools were closing and college programs were coming up. So I never got nutured as a new grad and now I am useless. I took a test at DOL to see what I am suited for and I ahd a lot of helping professions on the list but nursing wasn't one of them. Thansk to this forum I don't feel so alone.

NurseForHire in New York, New York

39 months ago

Well maybe Obama should be bombarded with our emails why are foreigners are being allowed to colonized us with Asians replacing American citizen workers. Hospitals are creating artificial shortages in the Nursing profession by design. The annual 2 trillion plus dollar heath industry lobbyist are running to our corrupt politicians. What happened to the hypocritical Obama in regards to the lobbyist? Does anybody remember his lies and deceptions during the election year? To his credit all politicians lie from both parties in order to get elected.
I emailed to our Democrats in our vampire tax state of NJ. Their responses makes me want to just yawn.

For some reason which cannot be explained Nurses to not stick with each other as a unit.

Nursing Unions that’s a joke I can laugh about. Invite them for a cup of coffee and slip them a couple of 100 dollar bills in an envelope underneath the table.

Why are the Hospital applications on the internet at least in NY & NJ that I know of require you to enter in date of birth? Isn’t that a clear discrimination of age? They should not insult my intelligence that they do not discriminate based on age just like any other industry.

Why Hospitals do not publish Nursing recruiters on their web-sites and for doctors they do?

NurseForHire in New York, New York

39 months ago

NurseForHire in New York, New York said: Well maybe Obama should be bombarded with our emails why are foreigners are being allowed to colonized us with Asians replacing American citizen workers. Hospitals are creating artificial shortages in the Nursing profession by design. The annual 2 trillion plus dollar heath industry lobbyist are running to our corrupt politicians. What happened to the hypocritical Obama in regards to the lobbyist? Does anybody remember his lies and deceptions during the election year? To his credit all politicians lie from both parties in order to get elected.
I emailed to our Democrats in our vampire tax state of NJ. Their responses makes me want to just yawn.

For some reason which cannot be explained Nurses to not stick with each other as a unit.

Nursing Unions that’s a joke I can laugh about. Invite them for a cup of coffee and slip them a couple of 100 dollar bills in an envelope underneath the table.

Why are the Hospital applications on the internet at least in NY & NJ that I know of require you to enter in date of birth? Isn’t that a clear discrimination of age? They should not insult my intelligence that they do not discriminate based on age just like any other industry.

Why Hospitals do not publish Nursing recruiters on their web-sites and for doctors they do?

Correction!

Why Hospitals do not publish the Nursing recruiter's telephone number on their web-site, but for doctors they do?

39 months ago

You mean your legistlators actually respond to you? I have never gotten a response.

39 months ago

i don't know of ANY other profession that renders you useless if you take a 2-5 year (or more) break.
numbersusa.org is interesting if your concern is foreign nurses....the ACLU is an idea...what about the national league of nursing (nln.org) or the american association of nursing (nursingworld.org)?
they are both still talking about a nursing shortage!

i encourage everyone to check out their websites and make your voices heard. i know i will.

Michele Kennedy in Thousand Oaks, California

39 months ago

kathleenrswan, rn, bsn in Spokane, Washington said: I am just now ending the WSU RN Refresher Course (awaiting preceptorship placement). Please understand that this course is NOT on-line; there are text books to bur and read, and physical paperwork to complete and send in. There is nothing about this course that can be considered 'on-line.' And a requirement is a 3-day hands-on lab, where fundaments are reviewed (nursing math; IV solutions/insertions; PICC/Central Lines; etc.). Here in Spokane, WA, that is completed at the university; in Hawaii, I have no idea. Then there is the matter of the final proctored exam you will take, then the 145-hour preceptorship. At $2100.00 plus books and any supplies you may not have (stethoscope, for example), I feel it is well worth it to get me 'hospital ready.' I've been in LTC since 1993, and want to try out hospital work, so I had to get this class done.

what is preceptorship placement. explain please. thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Phoenix, Arizona

39 months ago

I am so discouraged to hear these discussions. I have practiced nursing in IN, NJ, and AZ. Like so many, I stopped to raise my family (4 children). I have been out of the field for 12 years now and was wishfully thinking that I'd take a refresher course to reactivate my AZ license and "poof" I'd be a professional nurse again. If my confidence was low before, I have to tell you it sank deeper upon reading these entries. I had no idea that so much experience was being overlooked. I like to think that I am an exceptional nurse, though most of my work years were spent in management. I yearn for those patients who used to acknowledge me with a smile and say "I'm so glad it's YOU today!" That should account for something. I don't regret for a moment the privilege I had of staying home with my children. I just thought that it wouldn't be held against me....after all aren't nurses supposed to be nurturers? If anyone has had a positive experience in AZ returning to nursing, please let me know. I'm afraid that unfortunately, those who have had success and are working are not visiting this site. Good luck to all of you out their struggling in so many ways:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

i am a refreshed RN and what i am finding...after lots and lots of job searching...is that i am being considered for NON-Clinical positions. my desire is / was direct patient care, but my hopes are fading.
a refresher course is certainly no gaurantee that you'll get a job, but i think without one, your chances are greatly reduced. there's just too many nurses who are "current" in their skills.

the recruiters are tough (impossible??) to get past. they are reluctant to pass your resume along to a manager. managers are over-worked and have many candidates to choose from.
my guess is that recruiters see us, or are told that we are a liability. ?? and new grads aren't??? it makes no sense.

Blanca82 in Bothell, Washington

38 months ago

kathleenrswan, rn, bsn in Spokane, Washington said: I am just now ending the WSU RN Refresher Course (awaiting preceptorship placement). Please understand that this course is NOT on-line; there are text books to bur and read, and physical paperwork to complete and send in. There is nothing about this course that can be considered 'on-line.' And a requirement is a 3-day hands-on lab, where fundaments are reviewed (nursing math; IV solutions/insertions; PICC/Central Lines; etc.). Here in Spokane, WA, that is completed at the university; in Hawaii, I have no idea. Then there is the matter of the final proctored exam you will take, then the 145-hour preceptorship. At $2100.00 plus books and any supplies you may not have (stethoscope, for example), I feel it is well worth it to get me 'hospital ready.' I've been in LTC since 1993, and want to try out hospital work, so I had to get this class done.

Did you feel this course helped you get in contact with job recruitment? I am curious to know if a refresher course will actually help me look more hireable to hospitals. Ive been out of the field for 2 years and am having a hard time finding jobs. Know of any agencies that take nurse with more than 2 year lapses in their practice?

Kathy in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

I am not sure whether this course will help with job recruitment but I have been looking for a job since 5/31/11 which is when our office closed. That is almost ten months. I have been working a little in an immunization clinic during the season and through the registry. In the registry I have worked in Psychiatry, Hospice and the Jails. I had one telephone interview this week and attended a career fair. Neither have produced any results for me. I am hoping maybe when I do the 144 hours of clinical in the speciality either that hospital will hire me or I can use that didactic and clinical as current experience. I was told by HR this week that the job I applied for had over 100 qualified nurse applicants. I was happy to have an interview! And I am educated. But I do have to do what works as so I will take the Refresher. Kathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cstr in maryland

38 months ago

Things have gotten better for me. However, I did not need to take a refresher course. I was lucky this time. The nursing field has changed drastically. Patient bedside care is hi-tech, now. If you are computer savvy openings will be easier to obtain. Good Luck.

LTGO in Brookfield, Connecticut

37 months ago

I got my BSN and RN license in 1977, worked in my specialty (psych) in a hospital for six years, and completed a master's degree in psychiatric nursing. After that I worked in community and ambulatory mental heath treatment settings. While doing this, I went back to school part-time and completed master's degrees in counseling, therapeutic recreation, and art therapy; all the time keeping my employment in mental health nursing. It was grueling, but often fun and satisfying when I completed a program. I began to shift my employment into these areas, taking some pay cuts and switching jobs frequently. Family and friends thought I was nuts because I had a perfectly good nursing career. I eventually got certifications in all these other areas and licensure in professional counseling and drug and alcohol counseling. Now I am 64 and working as a therapist clinician in a non-profit behavioral health clinic. The work is challenging and complex and I don't make as much money as I would in nursing. However, I work week days, have weekends and holidays off, I feel respected, and my quality of life is far better than in my nursing years. I feel I can keep doing this for another decade and be content. I have taken two nursing refresher courses in the past and neither seemed to be worth the money and time. My advice to young nurses is to begin now to develop other competencies and credentials. Nursing is really "stepping-stone" profession and not fit for the long haul.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

clemintine in Warwick, New York

37 months ago

Nurse coming back into the field should be treated like a new grad. Orientation should be the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

7Angels in Manhasset, New York

37 months ago

clemintine in Warwick, New York said: Nurse coming back into the field should be treated like a new grad. Orientation should be the same.

WHY???? Have they forgotten everything they learned? I still remember my 10th grade trigonometry and physics classes. To say they "should be treated like a new grad" is shameful of you. You're probably an administrator that had never worked the bedside like a nursing professor of mine....Went straight for her Master's Degree and NEVER worked in a hospital, YET, she was allowed to be a clinical instructor. Guess what, she got fired! That's like telling Bill Clinton he should go back to Law School. Just a stupid statement. Coming from an RN, MSN, MBA...on my way to my JD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

7Angels in Manhasset, New York

37 months ago

Blanca82 in Bothell, Washington said: Did you feel this course helped you get in contact with job recruitment? I am curious to know if a refresher course will actually help me look more hireable to hospitals. Ive been out of the field for 2 years and am having a hard time finding jobs. Know of any agencies that take nurse with more than 2 year lapses in their practice?

Blanca82...would love to speak to you. I can give you some good advice. If you have an unidentifiable email, I can email you. Let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

I received your email. Thank you. I am registered to start the Refresher on 5/24/12. I am extremely angry and frustrated with the entire system. I went through a very expensive BSN program and scored in the 96 to 99 percentile range on Boards. I worked in ICU 6 years then Telemetry 3 years and left as I had a baby. I took motherhood as a very responsible role and I raised my son. During that time, I worked in a corporate office with MD's who were wonderful and promoted me to Nurse Manager and CEO tripling my salary. One lesson I learned was that the Business field pays much better than the Medical field. I went from 30.00/hr. to 125,000.00/yr with a 401K, medical insurance and other perks. I quadrupled the revenues and the pt. volume. Then, the owners wanted to close the company and go their own ways and I was left unemployed. Except for a few months working for an agency, I have been unemployed since 5/31/11. I was part way through an MSN but now I think it is not worth it. I would like to obtain a JD but do not know how or where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lori in wAYLAND in Geneseo, New York

36 months ago

Olivia in Fairport, New York said: Does anyone know of RN Refresher course to refresh clinical skills in the Rochester, NY area? I am a licensed RN, and have kept my license & registration up to date. Thank you.

I am from Wayland...an hr. from Rochester...also wondering -did you ever find a refresher R.N. coarse ? I have always kept working as an R.N. BUT for past 15 yrs have done home care case and have lost many of my acute skills. Lori

Sylvia Lambourg in Boynton Beach, Florida

36 months ago

We are an online refresher with clinical component. However, it will all depend on where you live..... Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Columbus, Ohio

36 months ago

t in Toms River, New Jersey said: Hi everyone: A client of mine has been a RN, & resides in NYC & is searching for Register Nurse Refresher Courses. My client has been inactive & would like to successfully prepare herself to be Licensed as a Registered professional Nurse in New York City in the state of NY State. she needs to take refresher courses in order to pass the exam. Where are those Refresher Courses located & if you have any suggestions / advise / Guidance as to How she can "jump" start her career once again, please do share them.

Hello all! I am also seeking an RN Refresher program that will not require me to have had a license previously. I graduated with an Associates Degree for RN but shortly after graduating I was involved in a severe accident which I had to go through almost 6 years of rehabilitation. Needless to say I did attempt to take the NCLEX-RN in OH but was unable to pass twice so I waited until I had some relief from my injuries to try and return to the nursing field. I have had continuous jobs in the medical field but I am not having any luck in finding a refresher course that will update me on theory and clinical. Any suggestions please? Also, is it possible to just take the NCLEX-PN for LPN/LVN instead so I can at least work as a nurse until I can find other options to obtain my RN license.

So Frustrated :{ Thanks!

7Angels in Centereach, New York

36 months ago

Cheryl, when I was in my last semester of nursing school, one of our professors suggested we take the LPN exam for practice. I think our whole class got together and took a bus into the city to take the exam. Many of us, including myself thought it would be good practice as well as have something to fall back on IN CASE we didn't pass our RN boards. If you can take the LPN exam, do it. Then you can probably get a job as an LPN, gain clinical experience and knowledge and maybe take a review course for your RN exam. (Like Kaplan NCLEX) review course. I didn't even finish the LPN test and passed with flying colors. I suggest you do that instead of paying thousands in a refresher course. Your best experience is gained while working and I think this would make it easier for you to pass your RN exam. At least you'll be employed and getting the clinical experience you need. Hope you're feeling better and good luck.

Cheryl in Columbus, Ohio

36 months ago

Thank you so much for that information. It just never occurred to me to do that until I began reading the forums about the Refresher program issues. I'm going to check with the State Nursing Board in Ohio to make sure I am able to do so. I have kept up my clinical skills with doing work a a paramedic examiner, phlebotomy, etc. but I want to make sure I am updated on everything because you are absolutely correct, refresher programs are expensive as well as to have to retake the NCLEX numerous times. Are you from Ohio? I wish my instructors suggested that! :)

7Angels in Centereach, New York

36 months ago

Cheryl, no problem. I honestly wished I maintained my LPN license, but I figured...I'm an RN, why do I need an LPN license. Well, I'll be honest...I've been out of work for a year and can not find a job. There are many LPN openings as opposed to RN openings. I even asked an agency (home care) if I could work as an RN, but pay me as an LPN and they declined the offer. I had another agency looking for RNs and I submitted my resume. Didn't hear from them for two weeks, so I called a couple of times and sent a couple of emails. Finally, I get a call from this woman offering me a job as a home health aid paying $8.00/hr. I said "are you serious?" The minimum wage is $7.75/hr. Never called her back. Was going to send an email telling her how insulting and demeaning it is to offer an RN a job paying $8.00/hr. I could go to Walmart and make more money or Starbucks and at least get great health benefits. Times have changed. But anyway, I wish you luck. You'll have no problem with the LPN exam and you'll be able to get a job easier and gain invaluable clinical experience that you wouldn't get in a refresher course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

labecker in Arkport, New York

36 months ago

I also took my LPN boards when I was an RN student...as our professor recommended.This was back in 1987.....I did pass my RN boards as well- so I have never renewed LPN one.I worked as a chg nurse on a surgical floor for many years....but had a desperate mother of a very ill baby approach me and ask me for help.That baby is now 15. Her health is declining and I do worry about where my next job might be. She falls in the category of medically fragile....so in NY State that means you earn 30% more....so a total of $34 hr.That's more than a supervisor with a bachelors is pd at a local hospital here- of coarse I have no benefits etc being a self employed RN.I have my own medicaid provider number and bill ths state for my services- another words bypassing the agency which takes HALF the money !!! I have no want to ever go back to hospital work....but almost every help wanted medicaid case needs an lpn......and an RN is NOT allowed to bill at an lpn rate even if I wanted to..

labecker in Arkport, New York

36 months ago

I also took my LPN boards when I was an RN student...as our professor recommended.This was back in 1987.....I did pass my RN boards as well- so I have never renewed LPN one.I worked as a chg nurse on a surgical floor for many years....but had a desperate mother of a very ill baby approach me and ask me for help.That baby is now 15. Her health is declining and I do worry about where my next job might be. She falls in the category of medically fragile....so in NY State that means you earn 30% more....so a total of $34 hr.That's more than a supervisor with a bachelors is pd at a local hospital here- of coarse I have no benefits etc being a self employed RN.I have my own medicaid provider number and bill ths state for my services- another words bypassing the agency which takes HALF the money !!! I have no want to ever go back to hospital work....but almost every help wanted medicaid case needs an lpn......and an RN is NOT allowed to bill at an lpn rate even if I wanted to..

John_L in Framingham, Massachusetts

36 months ago

I agree....totally

lorriecr in Sparrows Point, Maryland

35 months ago

I was only a nurse for 3 years and left it to travel and work in casinos for 27 years. I have taken the refresher in Maryland twice. It was expensive because I had to travel to La Plata, Maryland for Clinical for CSMD. I really wanted to get back into Nursing and thought to take a few courses also. I got my ACLS certification and a Phlebotomy/IV Certification. I was thinking about trying for a PALS certification also but am tired of putting more money down. I am also taking another skills lab In La Plata at the college I took the refresher at to keep my skills as up to date as possible. I have just started to apply on-line now for jobs and have noticed that hospitals are hiring again new grads which I thought would be encouraging for me but after reading these blogs I just feel that I donot have a chance. I would like ideas for applying for jobs as I can travel and am willing to relocate to go back to nursing. Any Ideas!!!

Jeanne in Toms River, New Jersey

35 months ago

I am reading this and becoming more and more disheartened! I am trying to get back into nursing too. Have been a nurse for 30 plus years, ICU, mental health, med-surg, geri-psych. Put applications after application in. Same old thing. Moved about 6 months ago from PA back to NJ and hold a license in each. Stopped working for a couple of years to care for my husband who has since passed away. What a mistake that was because now I can't get a job because I haven't been nursing for a couple of years! I don't know what they think caring for someone in the process of dying is if not nursing. I didn't have help, was doing it all myself! It sucks big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

monika in Scottsdale, Arizona

35 months ago

Judy in Vidor, Texas said: Ok we have New York, California and Texas. We need good orientation/refresher courses. It is worth the investment . The nurses that are working, please pass this on at your jobs. There are many nurses that are ready to go to work.

There are NO JOBS. So of course they are going make it more difficult for those that stepped out of it for awhile to get back in it. Because they can. Hospitals are closing their doors. Current working highly skilled nurses are getting cut. Who is going to pay for a refresher nursing program?

35 months ago

i believe a refresher course is a MUST if you want to work and have been out of nursing for over 2 years. at least that's how it is around here from what i've seen. and the future for nurses is outpatient...clinics, home health, hospice & sub-acute rehab facilities.

Yvette C. in Sugar Land, Texas

35 months ago

I am so sorry to hear of the troubles some of you are having but, do want to help. First of all, in Texas & I am sure in other states, if you are laid off, receiving any federal assitance like Unemployment,Food Stamps, etc you qualify for assistance to have the programs you need to take paid for. In Texas it is funded under the WIA Program and may be the same for other states. Secondly, you can do the FAFSA if the program is at a college/university & maybe get assistance that way but, I am not sure as some of them are under Continuing Ed & do not qualify. In past years, a nurse could go to a facility & they would offer to pay in exchange for a contracted agreement for time just like we used to get a bonus. But, in today's economy this is not happening. I would suggest you start by networking with previous co-workers or employers first. Contact your state BON for the rules and criteria as some states allow you to develop your own program and I have had nurses do this with some clinics and nursing homes at no cost to them besides a textbook. I must say it is very hard to find a job without recent experience & this is one of the ways to get it is by doing clinicals with a refresher program. Many of our students get hired by the clinical sites where they do the clinicals. I have also had nurses that have volunteered at an indigent clinic or other areas and used that as a launching pad. Lastly, some of the nurses have done CNA programs that are just a few weeks & worked in that capacity first and then, used those funds to pay for the program. It is very costly to run these programs & we try & keep the prices down and even offer payment plans. But, even if you had to borrow the money, One paycheck as a nurse would be that much or more as far as return on investment. I wish each of you success as our Nurse Refreshers have had on your journey back into nursing. I know it is difficult but, it can be done.
Best wishes,
Yvette C. with PHES Nurse Refresher Program

tonebug in Honolulu, Hawaii

34 months ago

QUOTE who="RB in Honolulu, Hawaii"]I agree with everyone about how we definitely need RN refresher courses in hospital settings, or at least a classroom outside the hospital setting that is conducted by an RN staff. I have graduated 5 years ago, was 5 months pregnant at time of nursing graduation, got my RN license 3 years after and now in search for a job. I have had no prior experience besides nursing school and in need of a refresher courses. I did have some opportunities 3 years ago but didn't take them because I chose to take care of my child. I thought that there were always going be looking for nurses so I figure I care for my child and look for a job later. Boy, was i wrong! Also, there are NO RN refresher courses here in Hawaii. I did sign up for the Kane Educational Seminar that would take place in Hawaii but they cancelled due to not having enough enrollment for their seminar. It is really frustrating and thinking about going to back school to get my BSN but again, don't want a student loan over my head. If anyone out there has some advice, please give it to me because i am ready to give up. Thank you. START REPLY: Not sure if you will see this since your post is old, but I've been looking to take a refresher RN course in Hawaii also & have come up empty handed! I've been out of medical & in psychology nursing for over 5 yrs & want to get back into medical. I saw that KANE education seminar too, maybe we can get them to come back to HI? You may have moved on since then, I think with the right word of mouth, maybe we could get some enrollment. If anyone or company coming to Hawaii to do a refresher course, please contact me. I'd be interested to hear where you're at today? Mahalo!

Yvette Cheeks with PHESonline in Sugar Land, Texas

34 months ago

I have had 2 nurses from Hawaii take our Board of Nursing approved program by Correspondence and just come to Texas for Skills Day and clinicals. I have also had out of state nurses that did program with us and set up their own clinicals (although that is not easy unless you know someone). Try networking with other medical people as you may be able to meet your state's requirements on your own. If not, visit our website for more info and if interesed I would be glad to give you references from Hawaii nurses that did the program.
Good luck to you,
Yvette

34 months ago

south dakota state university has a good refresher course--the theory/didactic is on-line & then you can take your clinics where you live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Wharton, New Jersey

34 months ago

I have been out of nursing for 11 years. I was raising my family, which I have no regrets.Best thing I could have given my family.
I recently took the RN Refresher Course at Rutgers, hoping to go back into nursing.
First I have to say the class was a joke. I did not get the experience needed. Reviews consisted of class time with equal to that of a nursing 1 class. Some of the students should have been evaluated before admitted into the class. Not only were there skill level poor(one did not even know where the kidneys were!)some acted like they had never been anywhere near a hospital unit. During clinical we were told not to get pt out of bed, medications were only to be given if the student wanted that experience, documentation could only be done for vs and adl's. I left feeling I was just as prepared as when I started.
I know there must be something I missed after being away for 11 years, but I did not find it in the refresher class. What a waste of $2000.
My only hope is now I can find a job. Then I can learn what I missed after being away for the past 11 years. I have to prove to the employers I am a fast learner and am committed to my patients.
We all need lots of prayers to get back into nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Grand Island, New York

34 months ago

Olivia in Fairport, New York said: Does anyone know of RN Refresher course to refresh clinical skills in the Rochester, NY area? I am a licensed RN, and have kept my license & registration up to date. Thank you.

Hi Olivia-did you have any luck finding a refresher course? I see you posted your question a long time ago but I just found this site. I live on Grand Island, outside of Buffalo and am not having luck finding a refresher course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.