Im interested in becoming a safety man.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

neto1992 in Baytown, Texas

28 months ago

hello i have my CSST/NCCER certification and my 10 hour construction/general certification i was wondering what other certification should i get i want to be a safet by the way

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

safetyroom.com in Fontana, California

26 months ago

Safetyroom.com Will Be Launched in 5 Week's on The World Wide Web. This Web Was Designed For Safety Professionals To Net Work It's free to Join... youtu.be/kuvH4LGTsSk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Crugar in Mission, Texas

24 months ago

Are there many females in the Safety profession? I have my degree in Technology Managment with subjects in Risk/Resource mgmt, Supply Chain mgmt, E-proc., Quality Assurance, Supervision. I have tried researching possible additional degrees I could obtain, but I have come to the conclusion that it all depends on experience and certifications. The only form of Safety experience I have is a DOT audit for a logistics company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

safetysupervisor in Hammond, Indiana

24 months ago

Crugar,

I think you are theoritically well qualified for a safety job, what you are required to do is having practical experience of this field. And as per certifications are concerned you can do "OSHA 30 Certified and/or OSHA 500/501", this certification is specially done for <a href="www.safetysupervisor.com/safety_supervisors/">safety manager</a> and other safety officials position.
All the best.. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

safetysupervisor in Hammond, Indiana

24 months ago

Crugar,

I think you are theoritically well qualified for a safety job, what you are required to do is having practical experience of this field. And as per certifications are concerned you can do "OSHA 30 Certified and/or OSHA 500/501", this certification is specially done for safety manager and other safety officials position.
All the best.. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miguel Gurrola in Downey, California

24 months ago

Hello everyone. Thank you for your contribution. I would advise to start reading your state OSHA or fed OSHA's website. Online resources are good but only when you know what you are looking for. I would recommend looking at what industry you like best. I started in Healthcare, being easy to find work since there are many healthcare facilities. You can immediatly start consulting teaching in healthcare doesn't require degrees or certificates. Once in the field you can explore into other industries once you decide if OSHA is for you. More than anything you will need experience. I started my own website and used it for my current employer. If you move on, at least your website you take with you and utilize it as your personal resource. Any updates or what ever training materials you upload, will be with whoever you work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jasa in Fayetteville, North Carolina

21 months ago

I have a BS in Occupational Safety and Industrial Hygiene Management. I haven't worked in my field of study for quite a while, but would like to re-enter. Any suggestions on how to do this? I have looked at online training courses - would this be a good way to update my education?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

matt

21 months ago

Jasa in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I have a BS in Occupational Safety and Industrial Hygiene Management. I haven't worked in my field of study for quite a while, but would like to re-enter. Any suggestions on how to do this? I have looked at online training courses - would this be a good way to update my education ?

you can try a refresher course. or you can simply start submitting your resume and see what happens. chances are someone will give you a job in that field. then you can decide if you want to invest any more into it. good luck. I am simply trying to find a few certification course to keep or move up in the job i have now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

todd anderson in Madison, Wisconsin

19 months ago

What is the best track to start as for better job opportunities
OSHA trainer 500 construction or 501 general industry

I have job experiences in both occupations

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

SafetyJ13 in Carrollton, Texas

14 months ago

Todd, it is a matter of what industry you want to work in. Both classes are introductory courses to OSHA for the respective industry. General industry opens a lot more doors to industries such as manufacturing, warehousing and distribution (non-DOT activities), healthcare and office settings. Construction is more focused on solely that field but good in general industry when dealing with contractor safety during construction projects or builds. I would also recommend following up with whichever course you choose with its train-the-trainer course such as the OSHA 511 General Industry course. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dale in Ann Arbor, Michigan

12 months ago

Ricky in Jackson Heights, New York said: I have worked in safety for the past 9 years. I'm also OSHA 500,
M-SHA, CPR First Aid and Scaffold instructor . I do have field experience![/QUOTE

AMRO Services is seeking an experienced safety professional to join our team of safety consultants. The successful candidate should have at least 5 years of experience in general industry. You must have a proven track record of project management.
Safety Consultant Position
Company Name: AMRO Services
Experience: 5 years experience or more.
Education: OSHA 30 certified, BS or MS in Safety or related science background
Salary: To be discussed during interview
Responsibilities:
Onsite project management
Conduct Safety Program Reviews
Schedule appointments
Assist clients with development of written safety plans
Provide onsite safety training for clients
Help develop new and improve upon existing safety training programs and written plans
Conduct incident and accident investigations
Assist clients with OSHA informal conferences
Assist clients with daily questions regarding OSHA regulatory compliance and recordkeeping
Requirements:
Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
Ability to organize and manage your schedule
Provide excellent customer service in a prompt and courteous manner
Basic knowledge of OSHA General Industry and Construction Standards
Experience in industry a must, experience in construction preferred

Dale
Amro Services
dale@amroserv.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dale in Ann Arbor, Michigan

12 months ago

Ricky in Jackson Heights, New York said: I have worked in safety for the past 9 years. I'm also OSHA 500,
M-SHA, CPR First Aid and Scaffold instructor . I do have field experience!

Email me your resume dale@amroserv.com

hershel in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

I have the NCCR Safety Technology which consist of the CSST, Safety Construction Supervisor, Field Safety and I have not been able to use them. Been in the field 5 years as a General Foreman overseeing Fire Watch, Bottle Watch and Confine Space tech. What else do I need to take to get my money worth back for these studies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Springfield, Illinois

10 months ago

I am pursuing an HES position in the Bakken oil fields in North Dakota. I have management experience in highway maintenance which included HES. Formal training includes osha 10, H2s, fall protection, first aid, cpr. What other osha training would anyone suggest? osha 30, hazwopr, confined space entry? Any input or comments on the new osha 5810(oil & gas training). Any comments on hazop(hazardous operations training)?
Any comments on online osha training? Thank You-Joe

safetyguy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

8 months ago

angeldaniel13 in Kenner, Louisiana said: I had a problem with the safety guy in my jobsite. I was listening to my ipod on the job and it was my 3 day on the job. My foreman told me it was permitted to use it at the job. That day a man comes up to me and tells me that I needed to remove one of the headphone speakers out of one ear, I replied why? then he told me that,that's what is allowed. I replied ! who are you? he answered that I didn't have the right to ask him that and told me if I understood what he had told me later he say that in spanish I told him yes, me being bilingual . I replied, I have the right to ask who you are? he responded I'm the guy that can run your a$$ out of this job. I replied I don't care but I still needed to hear him tell me what was being obvious to me, but he did not say to me who he was. Minutes later my foreman came and told me that I had to leave the job for a day and I needed to leave now reason being for my first encounter with the safety guy. The reason was my attitude. I feel upset about it, so I'm asking for your truthful opinions so please reply. thanks.

Here is my reply- 1. anyone that has the balls to walk up to you on a job site and tell you what to do most likely has the authority to kick you off the site. 2. A professional safety person with years of experience knows its better to get your buy in then to create a negative impact. I would have identified myself and explained why 1 earplug is better then 2. This way you understand that I am there to protect you not enforce rules upon you that you may not understand. Signed Seasoned Safety Director

8 months ago

hershel in Houston, Texas said: I have the NCCR Safety Technology which consist of the CSST, Safety Construction Supervisor, Field Safety and I have not been able to use them. Been in the field 5 years as a General Foreman overseeing Fire Watch, Bottle Watch and Confine Space tech. What else do I need to take to get my money worth back for these studies?

Try OSHA Outreach courses.

8 months ago

Joe in Springfield, Illinois said: I am pursuing an HES position in the Bakken oil fields in North Dakota. I have management experience in highway maintenance which included HES. Formal training includes osha 10, H2s, fall protection, first aid, cpr. What other osha training would anyone suggest? osha 30, hazwopr, confined space entry ? Any input or comments on the new osha 5810(oil & gas training). Any comments on hazop(hazardous operations training)?
Any comments on online osha training? Thank You-Joe

Unusual that you would say HES, most of the time its HSE or SHE usually its means whichever dicipline is needed the most is first. OSHA 10 is a short ten hour course taught by Outreach instructors, that would be your next step attend Outreach instructor school. Any additional training in HAZCOM, HAZWOPR will help, maybe take some college courses in safety. Look into ASP or a CSP at the BCSP website.

8 months ago

Dale in Ann Arbor, Michigan said:

you have field experience in Construction industry but not General Industry. If the hiring manager is being a stickler for the requirements then that is the answer.

8 months ago

Nabar Exist in Brooklyn, New York said: Lol. These guys are making ppl run through hoops to become a safety guy. First it depends on what position you are applying for in safety. A 10 and 30 hr construction osha will get anybody a site safety inspector job paying in nyc a minimum of $30.00 an hr. I've talked to ppl in the field working now. Alot of these safety consulting companies need workers so don't jump through a whole lot of hoops to get a job. Site safety inspector is the first rung on the ladder for safety then comes coordinator , superintendent, site safety manager then they have other safety guys like concrete site safety, construction fire site safety then HSE were you only have to have a minimum of 3 year experience dealing in safety to apply for that job and they pay $120.000 a year at one company I saw. So don't be fooled by all the bull ppl are putting out there they just don't want all the safety jobs gone cause then who's gonna do the building. Safety, good money, easy work. Just keep everybody safe and you and the workers will be good money. Peace

Safety- is not one of the most secure jobs in the company and someone should tell you about that. Safety is not as easy as one might think. Can you figure your DART rate? Do you know what your highest risk is? Can you tell me your total losses for last month? DO you know about sustainability, KPI's, can you convert total capacity in to gallons then determine sq ft area to capture it? Do you know how many ft a ladder needs to extend above a roof line? GHS, GRI, OSHA, EPA, CDC, DOT and the list goes on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jez in Channelview, Texas

7 months ago

hershel in Houston, Texas said: I have the NCCR Safety Technology which consist of the CSST, Safety Construction Supervisor, Field Safety and I have not been able to use them. Been in the field 5 years as a General Foreman overseeing Fire Watch, Bottle Watch and Confine Space tech. What else do I need to take to get my money worth back for these studies?

It's all who you know. Some people have there C.O.S.S some have there C.S.S.T with osha 10-30 in construction. If your looking for a job at a refinery plant or commercial industry at the end you have to know someone. Keep applying at take more classes.

jez in Channelview, Texas

7 months ago

jez in Channelview, Texas said: It's all who you know. Some people have there C.O.S.S some have there C.S.S.T with osha 10-30 in construction. If your looking for a job at a refinery plant or commercial industry at the end you have to know someone. Keep applying at take more classes.

The osha 500 and 501 should raise an eyebrow to any company.

edd in San Antonio, Texas

6 months ago

what are the requirements to become a field safety in texas. which classes i need to take plus what associations are good for accreditation? or what is the proccess thank you

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.