Independent Sales Representative question regarding Exclusive Territory

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Bri in Montreal, Quebec

67 months ago

Hi Everyone,

My company is currently looking for sales agents but we do not want to give them exclusive territory. Reason being, a potential market place interested in our product may have a few thousand people but if that one Agent has that exclusive territory he/she may only be dealing with only 50 customers. How did you deal with this issue? Are there any solutions for this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

I recently started in a new sales position. I am new to this particular industry as well as sales in general. I have a question about commission guarentees / the commission ramp up period. What is the typical procedure for a commission ramp up period. Should I be getting some sort of commission guarentee for a specific period of time until I get the hang of things?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Port Isabel, Texas

41 months ago

Answers to both questions:

Exclusive Territory - that used to be the norm but in the last 3 years exclusive "protected" territory has faded away due to market conditions. Most companies/reps want a "territory" and that is either based on geography or vertical market. What works best is that you protect them on the accounts they sell and incentivize them with perks or spiffs for new accounts.

Commission Guarantees - most will not pay this because then it is like a salary and go against the independent contractor relationship and commissions. What you may be able to do is ask for perks or "spiffs" for new account openings, sales benchmarks met etc. I have a number of manufacturers that offer us a one-time cash spiff for every new account we open and that helps offset the ever-rising cost of road expenses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paresh Gandh in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

32 months ago

If you do not want to give exclusive territory then you have to structure base+ commission which guarantee the sales person a reward of his efforts and the expense he is doing to promote your sales. I am looking for that kind of opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Accra, Ghana

28 months ago

i want to be your agent in ghana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.