Top sales person skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every sales person must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your sales person expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

NC in Tampa, Florida

85 months ago

1. You have to love the product you sell. If you are not convinced that your product is absolutely the greatest, it will be hard to convince your clients.
2. You have to be liked by people who will test your trustworthyness and your ethics. Being honest and trustworthy is very important. In sales, personality is most likely than not more important than product, or product knowledge.
3. You can never, ever give up. You must set your goals of exactly what you want to accomplish, or earn, and go about doing just that without getting discouraged. Daily affirmations are important in keeping you on tract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon Shaw in New Hamburg, Ontario

72 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every sales person must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your sales person expertise?

While NC has some great points...
Confidence, Drive (self starter) & Tenacity

In referring to the above points:
1. I don't believe you have to love the product...believe in it, yes. And create a need for it.
2. You don't have to be liked either...as long as you are competent, reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy...but if they don't "like" me...I don't care.
3. using the law of probabilities...after so many no's...next one is bound to be a yes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

UncleWilly.biz in Lincolnton, North Carolina

44 months ago

Empathy
Ego-Drive
Persistence

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Kodak, Tennessee

32 months ago

I work in one of the highest paid sales positions out there. There are many things that help, but you also have to have a knack for sales. I have been in sales for a long time and have seen lots of people fail and lots succeed.

1. Persistence...very important
2. Drive...You have to be willing to get out there and find the potential.
3. Experience....it helps, a lot.
4. Patience...One of the most important traits. It takes me 3 months to close some sales.
5. A people person/outgoing...If you aren't, you won't make it. Selling to and calling strangers is part of the job.
5. A college degree. If you want a great sales job ($50k+ salary plus huge commissions), get a college degree. 100%
commission sales jobs aren't fun. You either make it or you don't, there is no in between.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.