What do you enjoy most about your school bus driver career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a school bus driver? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Middleton, Massachusetts

82 months ago

What I enjoy most about being a school bus driver is the reward of a child's smile every morning when they see my face, and just wanting to jump on the bus. Then every afternoon when I pull in to pick them up and they've had a hard day, but things don't seem so bad when they see a familiar cheerful face. It's almost too difficult to describe. And talk about the funniest things that kids say... it's a laugh every day. After getting them to school then I get to go do whatever I wish, whether it's another job or just going back to sleep. Let’s not forget the snow storms and getting to stay home with your own kids. Most companies allow you to drag your kids along on the bus if there's room for more.
It's very challenging, but if you can't handle responsibility and plenty of it, then it isn’t the job you’re looking for because you've got lots of kids life’s resting on your ability to make a decision.
What I don’t like about the job are the days of no school due to snow because when I don’t work I don’t get paid and in the summer time the temperature gets very high in the school buses.
The field trips and charters are great too, a little less money, but you get paid for all the time you’re gone whether you’re driving or sitting and doing nothing. Then there is free food at restaurants, and free entrance to Amusement Parks.
The money is what keeps me at my job and the smile on each one of the kids that I transport. It’s a huge reward taking a troubled kid with lots of problems and turning his life around one day at a time.
I’ve driven 40 footers with 77 kids and got to remember each one for one reason or another, and I’ve drive Special Needs children [SPED] with maybe 11-15 children at a time and Love the Special Needs children the most. Every day is a big challenge for them and if I can make a difference in a child’s life it’s all worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Buster in Jersey City, New Jersey

76 months ago

Been driving a school bus for three years since retiring from business. I like the hours, the weekly paycheck, and that my boss lets me take the small bus home at night. This saves me from getting another car. I take special ed kids to and from school, and enjoy seeing them educated.

The only drawback is that DOT physical every two years. I'm now a Type 2 diabetic on pills, and refuse to take Insulin shots, or I can lose my Type B CDL here in Jersey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rusty aldrich in Rome, New York

73 months ago

i really love my job! i am the first person my children see and the last .. so i make or break thier day... i have a fun bus , we sing and play clapping games and have a bus chat daily , and kids say the darndest things ! i dont get paid alot but anyone trying to get rich driving a bus shouldnt be driving, this is a job you have to do for the love !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanie in Northern Illinois in Mt Zion, Illinois

70 months ago

3 reasons to be a school bus driver, June, July and August

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jean in Hillsborough, North Carolina

69 months ago

what i enjoy most about driving the school bus is days off. i enjoy help people especial children they are the future. I like about the job is that i been driving for fifteen years and the paid isn't the great but its a job i love alot. I wish sometime i have a full time job,but i like been to myself and independent. the children are a gift from God and they should have someone that care for them to get up early and take them to school. We are the first things they see beside there parents and the last they see before they get home. Driving a school bus could be a lot better if they paid all school bus drive full time paid at least 30 hour a week. What i don't like is the once a month paid, (30th) and not get paid in the summer. But if i could do it all over, i will do something more reward, beside a school bus! No rewarding and retirement as a part time school bus driver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in Rochester, New York

68 months ago

jean in Hillsborough, North Carolina said: what i enjoy most about driving the school bus is days off. i enjoy help people especial children they are the future. I like about the job is that i been driving for fifteen years and the paid isn't the great but its a job i love alot. I wish sometime i have a full time job,but i like been to myself and independent. the children are a gift from God and they should have someone that care for them to get up early and take them to school. We are the first things they see beside there parents and the last they see before they get home. Driving a school bus could be a lot better if they paid all school bus drive full time paid at least 30 hour a week. What i don't like is the once a month paid, (30th) and not get paid in the summer. But if i could do it all over, i will do something more reward, beside a school bus! No rewarding and retirement as a part time school bus driver.

"the job that i had, for a school district, was great. We were paid bi-weekly and, as a sub-driver, it was very easy to get 30+ hours per week. Granted there aren't health benefits as a sub driver, but I do believe we could participate in a 401K, i could be wrong though. And the only reason why we aren't paid unemployment is due to the fact that school districts pay on a 10-month year (just ask any teacher), therefore, no pay in July & August, but we could do summer runs and keep working, if there were enough runs by the time they got to your name (everything is done by seniority)"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jean in Hillsborough, North Carolina

68 months ago

That will be great if i got 30 hours. per week, but i get about 10 hours a week give or take if i sub for an middle school or high school. I don't think i can get a 401k part time. But i will look into that. I have been working as a school but about 15 years and i think the hour are to low for some of the drive that are part time. I don't know how much you make an hour, but i think they should give bus drive at least 30 hours a week. We get paid monthly here. When we get out for the holiday. We'll not see another pay check until Jan 31 2009. That a long time if you are a single parents with no other income coming in. I think we are important to the school system, but they treat us like second class employment. What do you think as a Sub-drive, and other driver think. Have a happy holiday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Lewiston, Idaho

67 months ago

I love being a bus driver. I have not been working long as a driver and I am currently a sub although, perhaps soon a regular driver. I have one of the more challenging routes for my school district however, like many of you if I can make a different in one of these students then the hard times will be worth it. I hope to continue working as a bus driver and get my teacher certification. I plan to work on my it part time while still driving until I have to do my student teaching then my schedule may not allow for me to continue to drive on a regular basis. I love teaching and being a bus driver even though some days are very frustrating, I still love going to work every day. As a bonus I enjoy the other bus drivers I work with, it’s a fun group of people that help, encourages each other and laugher is high for some of the driver’s agenda by helping make others laugh in a good way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ashash in Saint Catharines, Ontario

62 months ago

how old do u have to be to be a school bus driver?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cepaw69 in San Antonio, Texas

60 months ago

ashash in Saint Catharines, Ontario said: how old do u have to be to be a school bus driver?

Most places require you to be at least 21 years of age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Mcpherson, Kansas

58 months ago

rusty aldrich in Rome, New York said: i really love my job! i am the first person my children see and the last .. so i make or break thier day... i have a fun bus , we sing and play clapping games and have a bus chat daily , and kids say the darndest things ! i dont get paid alot but anyone trying to get rich driving a bus shouldnt be driving, this is a job you have to do for the love !

How much do you get paid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cepaw69 in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

I got experience pay for three years of 12.99/hr. San Antonio, TX doesn't pay much but it costs less to live here. My kids are great too except at times the middle school kids throw trash at each other and use fowl language. Other than that, it's not bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Qeliz in Baraboo, Wisconsin

55 months ago

I love driving the special needs route. They are a bright happy face in the morning and the questions they come up with. They make me laugh and I always have them laughing as well. This is the most enjoyable job I have had. I cannot do a big bus full of high school adolecents. They are rude and behave poorly. I will only drive a small bus and maybe Charter routes once in a while. But I love my kids on my route and they are kind and respect me as their bus driver. Sure the pay is not much but what you get back the smiles the children have seeing you first in the morning or putting one smile on a sad face really makes you feel you are doing your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Stockbridge, Georgia

54 months ago

If your a bus driver do you get paid during the summer when there is no school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Qeliz in Baraboo, Wisconsin

54 months ago

Unfortunatly no we do not. But living in an area close to Wisconsin Dells which is amuzement park/waterpark nation I just work there for the summer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Montesano, Washington

54 months ago

Do bus drivers get benefits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

barbarossa in Summerseat, United Kingdom

49 months ago

I'm a school bus driver in the North of England. I love my job because it's so EASY ! I love driving my bus - it's a Volvo B10 which has a passenger capacity of 75 persons including those standing. I work 20hrs a week, but get paid for 30hrs due to what in the UK we call a "retainer". This is extra money to stop Public Service Vehicle drivers from just walking out of a job in the summer months to go and work in the lucrative summer coach trips market. I get about 300GBP a week - say about 460 US dollars. And I get paid in full for all the school holidays ! Wonderful - I get to see my grandkids AND get paid for it !! After 30 yrs relentless grind as a travelling salesman, my life now is SWEET.
Bus driving - best job EVER !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Little Elm, Texas

47 months ago

How hard is it to get hired as a bus driver? (Anyone work for Durham?) They've sent out job advertisers in the mail 2 or 3 times this year. I thought I'd give it a try. I've always been someone's unofficial chauffeur since I learned to drive (my mother hates driving). lol Why not drive a bus?

Amanda in Dover, Delaware

46 months ago

Does anyone know if there are bus companies in my area that let you bring your kids with you? If not, do you know a way that I might be able to find out without calling every company in the area? I have to bring them with me because I don't have a sitter and paying for daycare would make working pointless.

jennifer in Keller, Texas

46 months ago

Steph in Little Elm, Texas said: How hard is it to get hired as a bus driver? (Anyone work for Durham?) They've sent out job advertisers in the mail 2 or 3 times this year. I thought I'd give it a try. I've always been someone's unofficial chauffeur since I learned to drive (my mother hates driving). lol Why not drive a bus?

I work for Durham here in Fort worth. It is very easy to get hired! They always need drivers! I enjoy having same days off as my kids. Doesn't pay great but it is a good job to have just to get a little extra money.

Dragonslayer2065 in Bay Shore, New York

41 months ago

I really do love being a school bus driver because you are like a second parent, a hero in a way to this planets new generation of successors. You hope for the best, you want the children to learn and adsorb all they can, even if that means helping them with questions raised in class that their parents are supposed to answer. Sometimes, the parents don't have the education to participate in a discussion with a 7-16 year old. They are very curious and I hope one day that one will thank me for my advice and that is, you are the Earth's future, you should strive to make this a better place for all to live and improve upon those great people in history that have already shaped this planet to what it is today. Be a hero to all of us, this is what I want for them. Remember, you are the second person the children see and trust in the morning next to the parents. You are either the second or third next to the teacher to instill good behavior, respect and a willingness to help and direct towards a positive direction. You, more than anyone, including the parent or the teacher, the children will want to confide in for advice on just about anything that is going on in their life, whether personal or academically. Sometimes, all they want to hear is that they are beautiful or smart. When you help them, and they return a giant big fat smile back to you and say thanks, well! what more can you ask for. Personally, I have received the following: Thanks, you're the best, I am really going to miss you, I love you, I'll miss you, can you be my new daddy, if my mom asked you out for dinner, would you come, I am going on vacation and won't see you for a week, I will miss you very much, please be my bus driver next year and see you next year I hope. When all is done for the year and you get hugs form the children, well! that is priceless and this is what makes being a regular school bus driver one of the greatest jobs. You get to teach, mold, direct, laugh, cry, advise, interact and etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a school bus driver? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

I really do love being a school bus driver because you are like a second parent, a hero in a way to this planets new generation of successors. You hope for the best, you want the children to learn and adsorb all they can, even if that means helping them with questions raised in class that their parents are supposed to answer. Sometimes, the parents don't have the education to participate in a discussion with a 7-16 year old. They are very curious and I hope one day that one will thank me for my advice and that is, you are the Earth's future, you should strive to make this a better place for all to live and improve upon those great people in history that have already shaped this planet to what it is today. Be a hero to all of us, this is what I want for them. Remember, you are the second person the children see and trust in the morning next to the parents. You are either the second or third next to the teacher to instill good behavior, respect and a willingness to help and direct towards a positive direction. You, more than anyone, including the parent or the teacher, the children will want to confide in for advice on just about anything that is going on in their life, whether personal or academically. Sometimes, all they want to hear is that they are beautiful or smart. When you help them, and they return a giant big fat smile back to you and say thanks, well! what more can you ask for. Personally, I have received the following: Thanks, you're the best, I am really going to miss you, I love you, I'll miss you, can you be my new daddy, if my mom asked you out for dinner, would you come, I am going on vacation and won't see you for a week, I will miss you very much, please be my bus driver next year and see you next year I hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a school bus driver? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

Con't

When all is done for the year and you get hugs form the children, well! that is priceless and this is what makes being a regular school bus driver one of the greatest jobs. You get to teach, mold, direct, laugh, cry, advise, interact and etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tedder1 in Valley, Alabama

37 months ago

I enjoyed the feedback. My company shut the plant down that I worked at and I would like a job that I can do till I'm possibly 65-66 years old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Well, this is long Island, far from you and the bus company here only pays $20 an hr. It's not a lot being that the island is one very expensive place to live. Rent for one bedroom is like twelve hundred - sixteen hundred a month and that's just the rent. Sorry about your plant closing though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mspalmbeach561 in West Palm Beach, Florida

35 months ago

I just got hired today by palm beach county for a temp school bus driver at 11.76 hour. Its split shift but the hours a day was unknown. I would report back in about a month.....

Dragonslayer2065 in Brooklyn, New York

35 months ago

You only just started, after you get used to the two shifts and really start to develop a relationship with the kids for a couple of years at minimum, then you'll be able to offer your experience with the job. Most people lose it and can't handle it up to a the two years because of seniority issues and you getting the worst of the bunch being the low man on the totem pole. So just hang in there, teach the kids how to respect and be firm, they like that and want that. Show them or tell them what will happen if they get out of line. Show them how, by writing them up, by assigning them the front seat, by sitting them next to the aid if you have one, by talking to the principle or by doing anything that will make the kid see that he/she will not win the battle. Sometimes, in the reports, you'll have to use some choice words in order to make the school district see that they must do something fast. For example, I told the school how this one boy was fighting all the time and hitting the other kids and how I want him off the bus. Well, nothing happened for almost a month of me writing up the same problem. So, I changed my words and rephrased what I was trying to say. Instead, I said that the boy was bullying the other kids and making them cry. Well, when they seen the word bullying, the kid was immediately suspended because they couldn't allow that to happen, understand. So be smart in your words because in the long run, you will make this troublemaker see the light and you will help him in the future, trust me, I know. Going on 15 years and my system works and those BULLYS will come to appreciate you straightening them out in the years to come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Yes, we have contracts with summer camp, trains, funeral homes, wedding and catering and etc. Unless management is doing absolutely nothing, then you'll have this too. I'm lucky if I get a week off.

35 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sumesh in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

34 months ago

ashash in Saint Catharines, Ontario said: how old do u have to be to be a school bus driver?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

23 is the minumum age here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Auburn, Washington

33 months ago

I just wanted to chip in and say I really enjoy driving buses! I am 24, and have done it for a year. I think you had to be 21 with 5 years driving experience?! I work for a school district and I get paid 17.52. I get 20-30 hours as a sub. I have been working a year and finally I look like I am next in line to get hired! Here comes the benefits and I can slowly work my way through seniority now!! I love the time off! I love driving the buses, I find it fun! The kids can be great. They just make me smile sometimes. Sometimes it's not so great, but I always have to remember I was never the first one to experience it, nor will I be the last! I love all the drivers, mechanics, and admin people I work with! I enjoy also having the middle of the day off! I try to sign up for middays, but being a sub I am always last to be picked. I love being a sub too sometimes! I think the kids like me better than their bus drives most of the time. This one guy I did his route for about two weeks and when he came back he told me the kids said "We want the girl to come back to be our bus driver!" Haha! So sweet :) As for the pay, I get paid on the last day of the month, the month after I worked example: I work October, I get paid Nov 30th. As a sub I get my whole paycheck, as a hired driver they get their contracted hours split up between 12 months so they have a year round paycheck, but any extra work they do is in their next paycheck. Also, I love doing field trips, because they pay you for the whole time you sit there and wait. I did a day field trip to the zoo and I got to walk around the lake, eat lunch, etc.. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Auburn, Washington

33 months ago

Oh, and my district did all my training and helped me pass my CDL. I don't know how common that is. And everyone here starts as a sub.

Harry in Brooklyn, New York

33 months ago

Yes, very common. All districts pretty much help you to pass any way they can, especially on the tests. The one trainer who submits the tests always says to everyone, "are you sure that is the answer, or could there be a better one, like C". I crack up at this, very funny. Here, everyone starts with regular van salary but drives an SUV for about a week, unless you're retarded or something, then they move onto the School van for about a month, then they are asked if you want to take the big bus test. That takes about two months of training here.

Harry in Brooklyn, New York

33 months ago

Yes, driving that big bus is a lot of fun and for the same reason you love the time off is the same reason why I took the job. You have all of the holidays off, most paid for and lets us not forget the most important time off, paid snow days, you gotta love it. Sometimes you get a bad litter of kids from a bad neighborhood when you don't have have seniority, that is to be expected but the majority of the cute and funny ones is what keeps you going. The funny reality of the situation with the kids saying, "why can't you be my bus driver, I really like you so much better" happens all the time to me. I know they mean it. I know what the problems are. The problems are first, that most drivers really are retired and can't deal with the kids anymore, they want them sitting quietly, in seatbelts and very bored, they're to damn strict. Others are just so fat, that they have trouble turning to talk to the kids and the kids find them, well-repulsive anyway-Sorry, this doesn't come from me. Others just don't communicate with the kids b/c they know very little English, we have plenty of these, very sad. Others are just so damn old, that the kids think they shouldn't be driving and this is b/c the parent discuss this with them plus much much more, so the kids always like me better and always want me back, that's what they tell me and I understand why. As far as field trips, well how can you not love that, I get to go to all these baseball games for free, free Amusement parks & rides which I love, free swimming, free food. That's just the school run charters. With the private charters, it's even better, we get all that plus a very large tip, usually a $100. We also get to go to Broadway shows in NYC, bars, (oh! I didn't say that) plus we do emergency charters for the Railroad where sometimes we're out for so long that we get a night or two free hotel stays, free breakfast, lunch & dinner. So the benefits really go on and on. We also get paid every week too, or I'd quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Phizikalmatrix27 in Springfield Gardens, New York

10 months ago

Hey Harry, how it going? I'm new to this. I was trying to get my Class A CDL, but failed the road test, so now I'm going for my class B. I really wanna do straight trucks, but I also want my passenger endorsement. I'm telling you this, cause I wanna know is driving a bus hard? Driving those 6, and 10 speed tractor trailers weren't hard, but you do need to know how to maneuver those things. Is driving a bus difficult?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Harry in Bay Shore, New York

10 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a school bus driver ? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job ?

It comes as natural to you as a singer on stage for the first time, either you have a natural talent for it or you don't. When I first drove the school bus, I have to admit, I ran over a few cones however, right after that, I got better within a few days. A week later, I had perfect judgement and was able to make turns without looking through the mirrors. Once you can do that, then you'll have no problem, just give it some time. Trust me on this, you'll need to be able to drive and turn without the mirrors because when inclement whether arises or when your viability is challenged like at night, the mirrors will be totally useless to you and you will be relying on only your judgement, keep that in mind. Now sometimes the schools don't make it easy to get in and out of their parking lots but like all large vehicle drivers, we don't care about that, we just run over the curb or sidewalk if we have to. I'm sure you have seen the big rigs do that from time to time. That's okay, but not on the road test. As far as comparing a bus to a car, buses are way easier to drive and to turn due to the fact that your mirrors can literally see everything, around every corner so yes, driving a bus is very easy. Just drive and you will get better, and if you don't, which some drivers do not, then driving this type of vehicle is not for you. I also drive a coach bus too, however, many drivers I personally know, can't adjust to this larger type vehicle for some reason, but I did right away. Once I started driving the coach for a few days, I also learned how to judge that type of vehicle too without looking in the mirrors, like I said, you will need to do this in certain conditions and nobody really will tell this, I will.

darthdave43 in Dundalk, Maryland

6 months ago

I just started driving a school bus March 2013! I worked from March to June 2013 as a sub driver, got a summer school run during the summer (from July to August) and then two weeks before schools reopened for the 2013/2014 season, I got a call from from Baltimore County Public Schools saying that they have a permanent run for me! I was surprised that it was so quick. What I like most about driving a school bus is the feeling that I get by making a kids day by just by greeting them, telling them have a good day in school, and joking and kidding around with them. I always love hearing the funny things they say and seeing the funny things they do. I am known as the cool and fun bus driver (I'm a big 43 year old kid myself and a huge Star Wars fan. Just take a look on my bus and you will see that the inside of my bus is decorated with Star Wars stuff). You never know where some of these kids come from or their home situation and telling them, "Have a good day in school!", "Have a good evening!", "Good morning!" and just kidding around with the can make their day. It is by far the most fun and rewarding job that I've ever had and it's easy! The breaks that I have between dropping and picking my kids back up from school are nice too and I get to do whatever I want (sleep, eat, go home, or go shopping) and get paid. Sometimes they even let me take the bus! The benefits are great, the pay itself is pretty good (though we only get 2 paid snow days per year. After that, they automatically take it out of your personal time and we don't get paid for when the schools are closed for Professional Development Days. We do get paid any other times the schools are closed though, except for summer). Winter break/Christmas break this year, we were off 8 days, not counting weekends, but we only got paid for 4 out of the 8 days that we were off. So I suggest getting a part time job somewhere for supplemental income for the, "off days" that you don't get paid for!

6 months ago

ashash in Saint Catharines, Ontario said: how old do u have to be to be a school bus driver ?

Although some may say 21, I really think they might hesitate until you are at least between the ages of 21 to 23. An exception is if you are in a small town with like 5 people-LOL. You know what I mean.

6 months ago

That is great, it is a lot of fun. Unfortunately for me, my bus days are over. I was working for the Huntington school district here in Long Island and everything was going great for me too. Than Management started changing in the yard. My boss, who has slept her way to the top position has been making everyone's life hell at my bus company. She began, yelling for stupid reasons at the drivers prior to and after the bus runs making everyone a nervous wreck which I have stated many times is very dangerous to the drivers and the kids but she didn't care. Well, she only cared about her brownie points from the other bosses. The other bosses soon followed her lead and made things worse and worse. Than we were told not to write up the bad kids that much because it won't look good for us and our contract. So another words, they were basically saying let the kids kill each other. This wasn't an option for me. I tried to go to the schools to fix matters but my bus company said I can't take matters into my own hands. I reported beatings, kids stealing from others, bullying and suicidal kids with no results. The schools didn't want to here about it and the bus company didn't care about the kids, just the contract. The principal, who I took on a bus ride with me to prove a point, which I did, almost got beat up by one of the gang parents father for not letting his kid do whatever he wanted. He said, unfortunately, there is little I can do, these kids are entitled to an education. This was bull crap, these kids cannot be educated and will be the cause of the more school shootings. Yes, I said more. We already had a school closed because of that. Huntington is getting progressively worse and no one can do a damn thing about it. The kids on my bus were afraid to go to school and afraid to get on my bus for fear of their life. I did my best to keep them up front but that didn't work. What would happen is that a bully would enter the bus, slap the boy or girl I put in the front and.

6 months ago

continue towards the back. I tried to get this kid removed but I was threatened and kicked off my route. There was much much more happening which I don't want to write because I would be here forever so lets just say this. If you have ever wondered why a very bad racially mixed town never seems to get better, then wonder no more. It all comes down to money, it is not about the kids. I love it though when superintendents claim how they have made things better when they are getting worse, that makes me laugh. They come from these wealthy backgrounds and very well educated and make assessments but they actually have no idea how things really are. Why? because they don't ask us, the bus drivers. We can tell you which kids are going to jail; are going to be just bullies and nobodies for the rest of their lives, are going to rob people's house and cause harm to everyone's path they enter. A principal even had the audacity to say that because a student who went berserk on my bus and scared every student by jumping up and down the seats and banging on the windows my fault because I made a wrong turn my fault. How's that my fault? because I wasn't at the school in a timely manner, he should be allowed to cause havoc on the bus. I don't get it. Yes, I tried to report it but the principal said it was my fault and if we were to keep the contract, then they had to agree. Wouldn't an easy solution be to isolate him and let the others try to flower? Well, obviously not and blah blah blah. I got nowhere, I was off the route and the abuse continues. One of the bus drivers who was a pretty good friend is still there. He told me he doesn't look, well, I guess that works well for all parties except the kids because he is still there. I have to stay, at least the kids I used to drive will always look up to me and say, he was the only one that helped, I leave it off there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ArthurT93 in Stockton, California

4 months ago

Im 20 years old, the districts I live near in california allow you to be 18 and drive a school bus. I havent been able to start working yet because everything possible keeps delaying my training but im getting there and soon enough ill be working for lodi unified as a sub and also stockton unified as a sub. Not sure about Lodi usd but stockton pays 15.67 starting. Awesome for someone whos only gotten minimum wage and is currently unemployed.

Dragonslayer2065 in Brentwood, New York

4 months ago

Actually, their parents in the morning make or break thier day... depending on how much they get yelled at or hit. If they were yelled at or hit and angry, then they won't even say hi to you, just storm on the bus and argue with everyone else. Seen it a million times. Kids are not so happy to see the bus driver in the morning anyway, not as much as in the afternoon when it's time to go home. Then they really love you-LOL. That can change also depending on if they can find the bus in the afternoon, depending on the consistency of your parking spot unless you are assigned a spot. I've seen kids come out practically crying and blaming thee bus driver for never being easy to find.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.