school bus driving

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 65)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

dolores abrams

89 months ago

live in buffalo new york, I DROVE FOR LAIDLAW BUS COMPANY SEVENTEEN YEAR IN LONG ISLAND AND LEFT TO MOVE BACK TO BUFFALO ,I LEFT BEFORE THE S INDORSEMENT WAS STARTED.IDID GET THE PERMIT TO TAKE THE DRIVER TEST,BUT I FAIL THE PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE TEST, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET BACK INTO DRIVING A SCHOOL BUS ?HELP ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

dolores abrams

87 months ago

I flunked the part where I pull the weights in the bag and when I walk up and down the stairs of the bus in the time alloted I took too long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Middleton, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Dolores what State are you in because there is no physical test like that where I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Oh I guess N.Y. has different physicals then we do here in MA. We don't have to do anything. They used to make us jog in place for 3 mins and then see if the pulse went down in the alotted time. But the last 6 years they haven't done anything like that.. nothing at all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Galucki in Buffalo, New York

83 months ago

I've been driving a school bus in Buffalo for 20 years, and my suggestion for you is, maybe you should try for a bus attendent. If you can not pass the tests, its time to give it up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in San Luis Obispo, California

75 months ago

Dee in Middleton, Massachusetts said: Oh I guess N.Y. has different physicals then we do here in MA. We don't have to do anything. They used to make us jog in place for 3 mins and then see if the pulse went down in the alotted time. But the last 6 years they haven't done anything like that.. nothing at all

I live in CA now, but I just moved here from MA and I worked for First Student in Marlboro. First Student does require people to pass a dexterity test, which includes walking up and down the stairs several times and dragging a 125 lb. weight in case you have to drag a child out of the bus. If you don't pass this in 3 tries then you cannot drive a school bus for First Student.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Your lucky you moved from MA because I was just talking with someone from First Student and they upped the weight limit to 150 lbs, and a lot of other stupid stuff they make you do.
That's company policy I believe because I'm not working for Laidlaw any more and have moved to another company and none of that stuff is required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

On the outshirts of Boston we're making around $21.00/hr I think N.H. is around what your making but not sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Salli in Redlands, California

74 months ago

Dee in Middleton, Massachusetts said: On the outshirts of Boston we're making around $21.00/hr I think N.H. is around what your making but not sure.

I am working for First Student in California they just passed that we need to take the agility test. We have to drag a 125 pound bag across the pavement. We have 3 attempts. There are alot of older people and I know of only 1 who didn't pass. Our pay starts out at 13.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

katmelsha in Hudson, New Hampshire

72 months ago

Dee in Middleton, Massachusetts said: Your lucky you moved from MA because I was just talking with someone from First Student and they upped the weight limit to 150 lbs, and a lot of other stupid stuff they make you do.
That's company policy I believe because I'm not working for Laidlaw any more and have moved to another company and none of that stuff is required.

I work out of NH and we have to drag 125lbs..its on a runner..not bare pavement. We have to do the up and down stair test also. I work with many older drivers and they dont seem to have to much of an issue with passing the test. I have driven for 2 yrs and make 12.25. We did become a union yard last year and have a contract. I only increase .25 (12.50) at my 3 anniversary date..then jump $1.00 the following year. Massachusetts does make better wages..but my driving area is much easier. I grew up on the North Shore so I know the driving there :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Buffalo, New York

70 months ago

I stared driving for Laidlaw Transit in 1995, which is now First Student...the reason there is a agility test (Physical Performance Test) is because NY State made it a requirement to become a school bus driver...when First Student took over operations of Laidlaw they implimented the agility test as a company requirement as well as it being a NY State requirement..so now no matter what state you work in if you work for First Student you are required to pass this test....It is required because you never know when you will have to evacuate your bus and if a child weighing 125 lbs or more is unconcious on the bus it is required for the bus driver or bus aide to physically drag the child down the aisle of the bus and get him/her off of it so that they don't burn up in bus that may be on fire. If the driver is physically unable to do so...then they need not be a driver...not being mean or anything but we need to know that a driver can evacuate his or her bus safely and in a timely fashion.

Jay said: thats a little mean! Dont tell her to give it up!!

and why in the world would u need to carry weight up the bus stairs

thats Freakin stupid

ive been driving in alabama for 5 years now
and we never have had a physical test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Buffalo, New York

65 months ago

Chuck in Rochester, New York said: Just to side track for a moment. I have been a bus driver for 5 years now and I make $10.82 hour just wondering if my pay is standard for the job we do.

well i have been with the company i am with since 2005 and make 14.23

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Regina in East Hartford, Connecticut

65 months ago

I work for first student in CT and our top pay is 18.08. It really sucks for all we have to do as bus drivers. To many tests and meeting and stuff all required by the DOT. We are union though which really sucks even more to have to pay union dues for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bethany in Worden, Illinois

63 months ago

Laidlaw was cut throat,that's why they got all the contracts. First student is even worse. Too cheap to buy things like engine fluids and parts, paper towels, printer paper, toilet paper and other office supplies. Some terminals are complaining they cant run routes for lack of fuel. Buses sitting on lots waiting for ever to get parts once finally approved to do repairs. The public needs to know how this company is operating, they are cutting corners that they shouldn't be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I work for FS in IL have been there almost 8yrs and still not making $11hr. We have no union and are told by management we could try to get a union but we have no idea how good we have it. Have been told the other terminals make a lot less, not according to what I'm reading here. I started out at $8 hr. been there almost 8yrs and it has taken me this long to make almost $11 not quite, was expecting it at start of school but they froze our wages. Told us we were getting our raise, then after start of school said sorry no raise after all of us came back. I think they were afraid if they told us no raise they wouldn't have had drivers to start the year off with. I pray everyday that God will bless me with a job that meets my needs, I hate working for this company, but feel trapped because we have to make ends meet.

Eliza Cooper in Buffalo, New York

62 months ago

Does anyone work for Reyes Transportation, Their looking for people to work for them driving school Buses in the Buffalo Area. They also have a big website. I can't seem to get in touch with them. Their starting pay is $15-$20.00 hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

OG South in Florence, South Carolina

62 months ago

Eliza Cooper, that a good question because they are look for drivers in my area as well, Reyes Transportation, but you cant get in touch with anyone or there website, also their application don't work either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Macomb, Illinois

62 months ago

I work for First Student, previous Laidlaw. We get a raise every year according to contract. First Student took the pay raises and kept them, not one dime to the drivers. Laidlaw tried to keep their employees happy and for the most part we were. First Student don't care for the employees, but they want you to run more routes ( Go over on DOT hours) management says they will stand behind you if DOT audits the books, but they will never put that in writing, so they can hang you out to dry. They have managment so uptight whey walk like they are constipated. Next policy change will be driving on the left side of the road.

Dave in Macomb, Illinois

62 months ago

Bethany in Worden, Illinois said: Laidlaw was cut throat,that's why they got all the contracts. First student is even worse. Too cheap to buy things like engine fluids and parts, paper towels, printer paper, toilet paper and other office supplies. Some terminals are complaining they cant run routes for lack of fuel. Buses sitting on lots waiting for ever to get parts once finally approved to do repairs. The public needs to know how this company is operating, they are cutting corners that they shouldn't be.

We have the same problem here the mechanics are going nuts, management wants the busses repaired but will not get parts in a timely manner, one reason the pay their bills 2 months late. Fuel no problem with us because the district buys our fuel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Hey Dave you know why you didnt get a raise this year? Because it went overseas to pay for First Student Great Britain employees pension and benefit package and we're paying for it. Apparently they have all sorts of benefits including a nice pension and paid vacation time. First Student USA is looking for any reason to fire its American employees. Would that be so bad as to not have to babysit and clean up vomit anymore?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Moma in Nashua, New Hampshire

61 months ago

I work for first student and last year we became part of teamsters. First student and the management tried for months to talk us out of getting a union. The first one we went to forget the name failed then teamsters came about. Let me tell you the opertaion manager at our terminal wasn't happy at all and couldn't believe that we had voted in the Union. I do say go with Teamsters. They are great in dealing with First Students. You all seem as if you need the Union. Every year FIrst Student tries to change policies or even during the year. Our terminal, they have their "Favorites".

The Reasons why you need a union:
1. Favoritism
2. being treated poorly
3. Better Benifits (include paid 3 day death in the family, Paid holidays)
4. Better insurance
5. Better pay

SO GO FOR THE UNION IF YOU GUYS FEEL YOUR SHOULD DO NOT LET FIRST STUDENT BULLY YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jay smooth in New York

61 months ago

Starting pay all depends on where u live at. i worked for first student in new orleans and there starting pay is 16.00 an hour. i have a friend who is working for first student in houston and she says the starting pay is 12.00 an hour. (don't ask me how thats even feasible) one thing i wil say for sure first student wont give u the raises they promise. they dont take adequate care of there equipment and if u dont get a union u will be SCREWED even worse than u allready are

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pcmomof6 in Mountain Home, Idaho

61 months ago

I work for first student in Mountain Home Idaho. This is my second year with them. We got a nickel raise this year! I love the people I work with but cant stand First Student. Big company that don't care about their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Moma in Nashua, by reading your post I was sure we are working at the same place, but then I remembered I'm in Illinois. Favoritism is a big, big problem at our place. Drivers that offer to help out with routes when other buses go down never get a that a boy mark in their "special" ID booklet. However, I hear over the radio often the pets that get called in because they picked up a forgotten kid to get a that a boy in their booklet. Our manager is a real evil witch. Unethical when it comes to managing and P.R. and extremely unfair. A liar like no other have no idea how she sleeps at night. I say whats comes around goes around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

werf-ck in Rosemount, Minnesota

61 months ago

first student continues to brag about how much money its making and how high the stock is rising so hy in the hell r they cutting corners with the buses and drivers pay. I think its time to fight back, Drivers unite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michael mayfield in Fort Worth, Texas

61 months ago

werf-ck in Rosemount, Minnesota said: first student continues to brag about how much money its making and how high the stock is rising so hy in the hell r they cutting corners with the buses and drivers pay. I think its time to fight back, Drivers unite.

bus driver for new inter- terminal bussing to better serve passengers.

61 months ago

michael mayfield in Fort Worth, Texas said: bus driver for new inter- terminal bussing to better serve passengers.

you must have excellent communication slills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

michael mayfield in Fort Worth, Texas said: you must have excellent communication slills
no quote

61 months ago

prepare for this question by thinking of how you can position yourself as a desird commodity. if you are still working, descibe the possibilities your presnt flim and why though youre greatly appreciated there. you looking for somethingmore challenge.money responsibility .etc also mention that you seriously exploring opportunities with one or two other flims if you notworhing you can talk touch talk about other employment possibilites you actally exploring but do this with a ligth touch speaking onlyb in general terms you dont want toseem manipulplative or coy

61 months ago

werf-ck in Rosemount, Minnesota said: first student continues to brag about how much money its making and how high the stock is rising so hy in the hell r they cutting corners with the buses and drivers pay. I think its time to fight back, Drivers unite.

I wish I could but unfortunately I need my job :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cathy in Hamburg, New York

60 months ago

does anyone know were reyes transp. is LOCATED IN BUFFALO , LIKE ADDRESS PLZ ,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE ADDRESS OF REYES IN BFLO , THERE PHONE IS BUSY FOR 20 MINS NOW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

lAILAW PD GOOD B4 FS TOOK OVER , WHY DID LAIDLAW FALL , AND FS GOT RID OF ALL THE SENIOR SUPERVISORS AND MANAGERS ,LAST I HEARD IN BFLO TTHEY WERE UP TO 15.00 AN HR B4 FS TOOK OVER , I LEFT 10 YRS AGO AT OVER 11.00

60 months ago

So has anyone heard if First Student will be giving any incentive bonuses this year. They took away Thanksgiving and Christmas things... Are our incentives next to be taken away.

werf-ck in Saint Paul, Minnesota

60 months ago

If you guys haven't notice, FS has slowly began to take away from the drivers. About a year ago they hired a promoted a lady and gave her a fictitious title. Her job is to look at different bases and try to eliminate any and everything that doesn't make money for first student. Solution, WE MUST CALL IN MAST TO CINNCINATTI AND COMPLAINT ABOUT THESE TACKY ACTIONS. Its great to have a job but when the company is doing as good as this company is and then take away DRIVER APPRECIATION DAY that speak volumes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

werf-ck in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: If you guys haven't notice, FS has slowly began to take away from the drivers. About a year ago they hired a promoted a lady and gave her a fictitious title. Her job is to look at different bases and try to eliminate any and everything that doesn't make money for first student. Solution, WE MUST CALL IN MAST TO CINNCINATTI AND COMPLAINT ABOUT THESE TACKY ACTIONS. Its great to have a job but when the company is doing as good as this company is and then take away DRIVER APPRECIATION DAY that speak volumes.

Well whats the number I will call! It is so true this company is huge and making ALOT of money, but all they care about is taking from the people that keeps their business running!!!

readyfreddy in Davis, California

60 months ago

I would like to know if Reyes Transportation has a head corporate office somewhere.They are hiring all over,but there is no location for their offices

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

reyes transportation is hiring on every job search i do , filled out app and hr replied to me and said it would be 3to busines days b4 they get back to me , today was 5 , so u can email them , but forget about finding out were they r , i know they must b doing willamsville , no local phone and the is always busy , r they serious with the drama there putting us though to apply , and u can,t get ahold of them , i never seen a company for school bus thats hiring run that way . its like they r a ghost com.

ghori in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

Well here in Jacksonville, FL somethings are the same and some things are different than the rest of you. I drove 2yrs.for First Student before our terminal was taken over by STA (Student Transportation of America)this school year. Despite the fact that "Jacksonville is the largest First Student terminal in the whole United States" we were still being paid BELOW the national average. I was hired in with NO driving experience @ $10.15/hr. Just last year we became Union with Teamsters. With that came the 80cents pay raise, back pay from the start of the school year and grievances. Holiday pay (Thanx,MLK), health insurance, etc. stayed the same. And of course with all the favoritism going around our terminal also, it took 2yrs. to finally open the eyes of the Asst.Mgr. because despite my being a blonde hair freckled face white girl, with all my teeth, and stomach not hitting the steering wheel appearances, AND college educated, I could handle ANYTHING that came my way. Yes, we too had to do the dexterity test. If you don't want to do the test or think it's stupid, let me know what your bus number is so that my 10yr.old and 13yr.old boys don't get on your bus. A lot has changed since STA out bid our terminal. Some good, some bad. Our terminal employees were suppose to get first dibs on everything but unfortunately the Mgr. is from another First Student terminal and somehow a lot people from that terminal came over to STA. It sucks because they already had jobs and now the drivers that came over have major favoritism despite the fact that the Union contract states that they can't bring their seniority over because their terminal's contract had not expired and technically they had a job. The paid is much better but there is a catch. As a third year driver I get $13.55/hr. but no Xmas bonus and no end of year bonus like First Student. STA justifies it with the pay raise. The health insurance cost less but covers little. Running out of room...Good Luck to you all!

Steve in Saint Louis, Missouri

59 months ago

I miss Laidlaw! First Student is without a doubt the worst co. I have ever worked for. Clearly European thoughts and business practices. First student for this present school year has passed a no raise policy unless you are under a current bargaining contract. We have experienced the same foolishness that every one has complained about. PPT nonsense, those of you that are in favor of this Google a search of students killed in bus fire,you will have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightening twice while cashing in your winnings. We have several drivers that have driven here 10+ years with a perfect driving record, refused to do the test and were not fired but just told that there is no work available. You must be union to get anywhere with this co. We just ratified our new contract this week and received a .90 raise bringing us to 17.70 per hour .50 next year, and .40 yaer after. $40 per month saftey bonus. Numerous other thing that apply to our school dist. We have bee negotiating this thing for 7 months and received 80% of this when we voted to go on strike. They don't want that and especially your school dis. does'nt need a reason to ditch First Student! It is not hard to do you need to get the feelings of other drivers and contact the Teamsters. First Student lost a lawsuit in NC reguarding unionizing. They will not stand in your way! You need fair pay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Warwick, Rhode Island

54 months ago

Okay fellow FS victims the number to call and complain is: 1877 3 Call FG. This company goes way beyond crossing the line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Selina. in Hillsboro, Oregon

53 months ago

I'm currently living in Oregon (USA) and would like to move to British Columbia, or even somewhere closer to (or in) Ontario Canada. I'm heading into my 12th year of driving school bus after 25 years of doing hair (I'm now 44 years old). In short, and with today's economy, I'm 'praying' for a miracle of finding a place (a Christian retreat possibly, or a horse ranch muck'n stalls, ect) where I might work for my lodging while continuing to drive school bus on the side for extra income. If ANYONE has any suggestions or ideas, please let me know. I would 'greatly' appreciate any directional help or advice I can get :-).

Thank you for your time, please feel free to respond to: HislambIam4ever@yahoo.com

Dan in Mentor, Ohio

52 months ago

I think the hiring process at Reyes is a joke. The company advertized bus driver positions in mid July stating they were looking for drivers with or without experience. In my case, they dragged out the process for 7 weeks, only to tell me thanks but no thanks. During the 7 weeks,I would get an email to send them info, I complied and waited and waited. One period was for 3 weeks just wondering and waiting. The best part is when they wanted me to take a pre-employment test,and they sugested that I purchase a booklet to better my chances on the test for $18.00. Most of the questions were not covered in the booklet. I got hosed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

anon in Haverhill, Massachusetts

52 months ago

you get a christmas bonus and an end of year bonus w/first student?! never got that here, been driving for 10 years

QUAN in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

51 months ago

YOU CAN GO TRY OUT FRIST STUDENT WHICH PAYS LITTLE OF NOTHING 11.81. BUT I HEARD THEY WERE GONNA GO UP TO 15.00. NOT SURE EXACLTY.I BEEN DRIVING FOR THEM FOR 6 YEARS NOW.

Gennaro in Bronx, New York

51 months ago

Dan in Mentor, Ohio said: I think the hiring process at Reyes is a joke. The company advertized bus driver positions in mid July stating they were looking for drivers with or without experience. In my case, they dragged out the process for 7 weeks, only to tell me thanks but no thanks. During the 7 weeks,I would get an email to send them info, I complied and waited and waited. One period was for 3 weeks just wondering and waiting. The best part is when they wanted me to take a pre-employment test,and they sugested that I purchase a booklet to better my chances on the test for $18.00. Most of the questions were not covered in the booklet. I got hosed.

I applied also to REYES, and had gotten the same raw deal, paying for an $18.00 manual that didn't even cover everything that was on their test!
It is very disheartening how people are treated when they are in a working class structure of society! I had followed everything they had sent me on my E-Mail's, and after completing the whole process, I never even got an answer or acknowlegment as in passing or failing the test! I had even sent them an E-Mail, asking if I missed something or said something negative on the application that would have hindered the consideration for being hired? What a waste of time, hope, and money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

opinions are free in Syracuse, New York

48 months ago

pcmomof6 in Mountain Home, Idaho said: I work for first student in Mountain Home Idaho. This is my second year with them. We got a nickel raise this year! I love the people I work with but cant stand First Student. Big company that don't care about their employees.

so agree worked in syracuse ny for First Student they are a horrible company to work for all they care is about the money they can make and screw the employees and management team that makes the company get their money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ed in bflo ny in Enfield, Connecticut

47 months ago

Dennis in New York said: It's not stupid at all. It's a way to ensure that the driver can handle whatever might come their way, such as dragging an unconscious student from a burning bus.

We had a lady attendant that was over 80 that could barely get on the bus herself anymore, but showed up to work everyday and knitted in the back. Couldn't get rid of her because there is no age limit. She finally couldn't pass the test. I say good riddance.

we have a driver over 80 that can barely get on the bus, but they pass her on all the tests! what is wrong with this picture? she needs to retire before she kills someone, no age limit is crazy

eliza in Montgomery, New York

46 months ago

ed in bflo ny in Enfield, Connecticut said: we have a driver over 80 that can barely get on the bus, but they pass her on all the tests! what is wrong with this picture? she needs to retire before she kills someone, no age limit is crazy

We have a 70year old woman almost deaf and cant walk more then 5 feet. She passes the physical test because her family doctor does it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Discussed in Bolivar, Tennessee

46 months ago

opinions are free in Syracuse, New York said: so agree worked in syracuse ny for First Student they are a horrible company to work for all they care is about the money they can make and screw the employees and management team that makes the company get their money

I just pulled up a School Bus Driver salary for Covington, Tn. $29,000.00
LOL LOL I've been driving for Tipton County Board of Education, in Covington, Tn.
for 10 yrs. my salary is $12,000.00, and we are the last in the food chain,
Oh and if the wiring on your bus burns and causes you health problems, you will be
suspended without pay if you don't take a personal leave. I should know.!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.