Tips for school psychologist interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming school psychologist interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Chad in Phoenix, Arizona

81 months ago

I purchased a great book on this very topic. You can find it at www.school-psychologist.com/ebookstore.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Typical interview questions such as what are your strenghts and weaknesses? What qualities would you add to the team that others may not have? What experience do you have? How do you keep up with changes in the law and research? What is your role at the pre-referral, referral, and evaluation level? What is your favorite part of the job? What is your least favorite part of the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Hood River, Oregon

74 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming school psychologist interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

School psychologists should pay attention to questions about supports they will receive to manage burgeoning case loads and exacting time requirements for performance. Large districts often skimp on providing secretarial help as telephoning, arranging mutually agreed upon meeting times with parents, reminders to staff concerning information flow and needs and internal quality control. The current trend has moved to doing more with less. Multitasking takes on a whole new meaning and while you may have very good psychologist skills, if you are left with 75% secretarial the job becomes less palatable and very stressful. At least ask about the amount of secretarial supports that come with the job.
The second issue is ease of computerized operations. Should the district have strayed from simplicity into confused complexity, the learning time and glitches can do some real stress issues that need to be taken into account. Worst case scenario is a home grown network that only a select few can dicipher.
The third is related to how well people communicate and how easy it is to acquire up to date information on short notice for team decision making. Worst case scenarios are hidden files within files that are difficult to locate or are unknown that would prevent IEP development errors. Inefficient cataloging and retrieval capabilities leave IEP teams without current information and this is apparent in outside audits for evaluation and IEP fidelity. The right does not what the left is doing or has already done. Having a long grace periods to get final airtight drafts submitted is usually the culprit. Someone is archiving the information in their desk for a final edit 6 months after the team meeting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Y in Spring Hill, Florida

63 months ago

In a job interview, you will likely be asked about problem solving and response to intervention, as well as more traditional assessment skills, consultation, collaboration with parents, experience working with low-incidence populations, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Hood River, Oregon

63 months ago

Also in a job interview, you might be asked for a statement of personal self disclosure. How would you describe yourself? This is an offsetting question that moves the discussion tangenitally away from job performance and competencies. Outside of passing on the question with professional courtesy, a response is most likely weighted against an interview rating scale and a response is expected.
It is prudent to be prepared and be honest so that the information you provide is congruent with the interview situation itself. School psychologists in general should be scientifically grounded, research-dependent, versed in state and federal law and possess collaborative constructive team building skills. To go into personal characteristics such as dependability, reliability, honesty, integrity, intellectuality present as red herring issues to the mission of the interview.
In general, the published job description should provide the framework for the content of interview. It is helpful to practice your responses out loud to the potential questions based on the job description in a self conducted mock interview until you feel comfortable with content and presentation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

upnope in Oakland, California

43 months ago

Chad in Phoenix, Arizona said: I purchased a great book on this very topic. You can find it at www.school-psychologist.com/ebookstore.html

Please do not buy this piece of material. It is not helpful and it is a waste of your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

goegiana in Oakland, California

43 months ago

How true. Do not buy this book. It is not what it is says. It is not a book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in London, United Kingdom

43 months ago

upnope & goegiana,

I can agree with you on one thing. It is not a book. It is an ebook that I found very helpful in preparing for my interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in London, United Kingdom

43 months ago

upnope & goegiana,

I can agree with you on one thing. It is not a book. It is an ebook that I found very helpful in preparing for my interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Sayreville, New Jersey

43 months ago

upnope & goegiana,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Sayreville, New Jersey

43 months ago

upnope & goegiana,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

goegiana in Oakland, California

43 months ago

It is not worth 2cents though. Good for you. I am surprised you did not know what was in that so called 'book'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lenny in Provo, Utah

33 months ago

Don't buy the book linked above. Nobody bought that and recommended it. I am pretty sure it was put there by the guy who wrote the "book." It's not a book. It's just a few pages in a large font, and gives only obvious information. Nothing helpful there, and I'd like to save you the 8 bucks that I wasted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.