SECURITY GUARD LICENSE AND TRAINING IN NEW YORK

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 490)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

MrKnow-ItAll in Bronx, New York

56 months ago

junior in New York, New York said: Do you know the building in down town manhattan that could go to 2 get my license renewed or get a new one I haven't used it in 2 years I know the building. Is some where. Between chambers or wallstreet thanks

The place you speak of is the NYC office branch of The NY State Dept Of State ( which is in charge of all NYS licenses)-excluding driving which the DMV takes care of.
You can get license applications for everything from real estate broker to fishing and hunting here-including security guard licence appliations and renewals.They are located at

123 William St
(19 th floor)
New York, NY 10002
Take the 4/5 train to Fulton St or the A/D train to Broadway-Nassau and walk a cuople of blocks to William St.
Hopes this helps you and many others asking more or less the same question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NYC-ripoffs in Staten Island, New York

56 months ago

clpatrol said: Nice web site and nice try, but too bad this is really just a come on from another nyc sec. guard school promising jobs that are NOT REAL & only trying to sell expensive training to unsuspecting people looking for work! They should just say WHO they are, WHAT they are offering, and HOW much they are charging like the honest schools out there do! Thumbs down to this phony!

And to anyone with their license & both their 8 & 16 hr. certificates, be wary of security jobs posted on NYC Craig's list... They're mostly scams!

www.ripoffreport.com/sales-people/craigslist-security/craigslist-security-guard-jobs-968ap.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nisha in Rosedale, New York

56 months ago

Santy Clause in New York, New York said: Does anybody know where can I apply for security jobs? I already got the requirements for everything. 8 and 16 and my security licence. I need help at finding a security job. PLZ help!

hello i was wondering after you took the 8 hour and the 16 hour class was there a test that you have to take or you just get the certificates ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

did anyone get the 8 hour 16 hour&& fireguard if you did was there a test after or you just got the certificates ?

nyguardtraing

56 months ago

1. The only tests you must take are to get the acutal training certificates. New York State authorizes LEGITIMATE schools to train and test security guard license applicants or licensees. BEWARE of schools that are not legitmate and/or use use slight-of-hand tactics to suck you into more expensive courses. The state is attempting to crack down on them, meanwhile . . . shop around!

For more infomation about the Fireguard Certificate of Fitness you may go to the official New York City Fire Department web site here . . .

www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/c_of_f/cof_study_materials.shtml

They are ONLY required if you are working in NEW YORK CITY and ONLY in certain types of locations there. New York City has no jurisdiction outside the five boroughs and therefore that certificate is not necessary in other municipalities throughout the state.

56 months ago

nyguardtraing said: 1. The only tests you must take are to get the acutal training certificates. New York State authorizes LEGITIMATE schools to train and test security guard license applicants or licensees. BEWARE of schools that are not legitmate and/or use use slight-of-hand tactics to suck you into more expensive courses. The state is attempting to crack down on them, meanwhile . . . shop around!

For more infomation about the Fireguard Certificate of Fitness you may go to the official New York City Fire Department web site here . . .

www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/c_of_f/cof_study_materials.shtml

They are ONLY required if you are working in NEW YORK CITY and ONLY in certain types of locations there. New York City has no jurisdiction outside the five boroughs and therefore that certificate is not necessary in other municipalities throughout the state.

thank you so much for those tips & i been looking around at blackhawk security & Vicado Guards Training School and i found them on New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services website did you hear anything postive about either one of these schools if you did can i please know? :) i got scammed a couple years ago & thats why i was scared to do this again but the prices of these school are pretty cheap and im also looking at security guards companies as well

nyguardtraining

56 months ago

nisha in Rosedale, New York said: thank you so much for those tips & i been looking around at blackhawk security & Vicado Guards Training School and i found them on New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services website did you hear anything postive about either one of these schools if you did can i please know? :) i got scammed a couple years ago & thats why i was scared to do this again but the prices of these school are pretty cheap and im also looking at security guards companies as well

You're welcome. Don't know either of them, but if you live on or around Long Island you may want to check out this site: www.agaffiliates.com.

We use only experienced experts from law enforcement for instructors and we offer the following: (1) Affordable rates, (2) Ongoing job placement assistance for our students, and (3) Free advanced training for those who take the 8 & 16 Hour courses with us.

Our main location is in downtown Bay Shore, and you can see exactly who is in charge and contact them anytime.

56 months ago

nyguardtraining said: You're welcome. Don't know either of them, but if you live on or around Long Island you may want to check out this site: www.agaffiliates.com .

We use only experienced experts from law enforcement for instructors and we offer the following: (1) Affordable rates, (2) Ongoing job placement assistance for our students, and (3) Free advanced training for those who take the 8 & 16 Hour courses with us.

Our main location is in downtown Bay Shore, and you can see exactly who is in charge and contact them anytime.

oh, i heard of them! i will definitely give them a call tomorrow morning. i live in Queens so it's not hard to get to LI. Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony Dulcis in Antwerp, Belgium

55 months ago

Can someone please tell me more about the 105.75$ fee? I've did a lot of research online but there's very little info to find.

Does this fee have to be paid too L-1 Enrollment Services or to the NYS Department of Licensing Services?

nyguardtraining

55 months ago

Anthony Dulcis in Antwerp, Belgium said: Can someone please tell me more about the 105.75$ fee? I've did a lot of research online but there's very little info to find.

Does this fee have to be paid too L-1 Enrollment Services or to the NYS Department of Licensing Services?

It is paid to "L-1 Enrollment Services". They will break down the $105.75, and send the proper amounts to NYS and the FBI for their fees which comprise most of the $105.75.

For more information you can go here . . .
www.l1enrollment.com/state/?st=ny

or here . . .

www.agaffiliates.com

bj in Brooklyn, New York

55 months ago

The $105.75 is the fingerprint processing fee which you pay at the L1 fingerprint site. You can pay by credit card, money order, or check payable to L1 Enrollment Services. When your electronic prints are taken you will be issued two receipts. You send the following to the NYS Dept. of State for the license:

-completed Employee Statement and Security Guard Application
-original copy of certificate from 8-hour pre-assignment class
-$36.00 money order, company check, or cashiers check to NYS DOS (application fee)
-Receipt from electronic fingerprints.

tears in Woodside, New York

55 months ago

bj in Brooklyn, New York said: The $105.75 is the fingerprint processing fee which you pay at the L1 fingerprint site. You can pay by credit card, money order, or check payable to L1 Enrollment Services. When your electronic prints are taken you will be issued two receipts. You send the following to the NYS Dept. of State for the license:

-$36.00 money order, company check, or cashiers check to NYS DOS (application fee)

hi yes this is great your right. iam about to mail rec with the appliction but how can i do a fallow up on my print it was done electronic and thank you

CDISGT in Delmar, New York

55 months ago

N.Y.S. ARMED & UNARMED SECURITY GUARD TRAINING. In ALBANY NY
CAPITAL DISTRICT INVESTIGATIONS & SECURITY TRAINING offers the New York State Certified 47 Hour Armed Security Guard Training Course. This class is the last class this year and limited to 6 students; call early FOR REGISTRATION 518.439.0KXL
CAPITAL DISTRICT INVESTIGATIONS has been a Licensed, Bonded & Insured Private Investigation & Security Agency since 1971. Duly licensed and Insured, ARMED & UNARMED New York State Security Guard Training School. NYS-DCJS Identification number is 011991. Our Instructors are all retired police with years of “On the Job Real World Experience”. CHECK OUR AUTHORITY on the STATE web site under Security Guard Program Approved Schools in Albany County. AT www.criminaljustice.state.ny.us/ops/docs/sgtr
Browse our Web Site www.cdisecurityguardtraining.com for our calendar or events and future classes. WE ACCEPT PAY-PAL on our website FOR ALL CLASSES
Our next N.Y.S. Mandated 8 HOUR PRE-ASSIGNMENT courses are held at the St. Charles Hotel Hudson N.Y. and in Delmar N.Y. once per month. This course is required by N.Y.S. before any new guard can be employed in the security field.

sanjay in Flushing, New York

55 months ago

johnwilsondot said: Can any1 in new york city help me with getting my Security License. I have my 8 and 16 hr now that all I need
Plz email me at johnwilsondot@yahoo.com

Yes www.department of licensing division.com Fill up the form and print it. Instructions are there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Taz in Bronx, New York

55 months ago

My license expired over a year ago. I was told I just have to do the 8 hour annual in-service and fill out the application for a new license without having to redo my fingerprints. Is this correct?

edabarzua in Bronx, New York

55 months ago

Can someone help me? I've read up on the forum and i still don't understand the process. I have made a appt. with L1 services and understand that when I'm done they will give me 2 reciepts after that what address,amount of money and what else do I need to send to them? Also if there is a form that I need to fill out where do I obtain that from? If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My email is edabarzua@gmail.com

CLPATROL

55 months ago

Taz in Bronx, New York said: My license expired over a year ago. I was told I just have to do the 8 hour annual in-service and fill out the application for a new license without having to redo my fingerprints. Is this correct?

Check with the Department of State Division of Licensing Services. You can conatct them here: www.dos.state.ny.us/licensing/

edabarzua in Bronx, New York

55 months ago

Taz in Bronx, New York said: My license expired over a year ago. I was told I just have to do the 8 hour annual in-service and fill out the application for a new license without having to redo my fingerprints. Is this correct?

Yes that is correct if you live in Ny. I don't know about any other States. I just went through the same procedure.

NINA_SANDIEGO in Lawrence, New York

54 months ago

Why is it that some ads for Security Jobs in NYC, you see salary in a classified ad "pays up to $16.50" etc....then when you go there the starting salary is no where near that? Am I mistaken here? Please inform...
Also, what do you really need to have (certifications) to get the great salaries?

Thanks to all replies!
Peace~

CityBeat

54 months ago

The key is when they say "up to" it usually means that the salary will almost always be lower. There are also a lot of scammers promising you the moon, asking for up-front enrollment or processing fees, and you will be lucky if you can escape from their office with your underwear still on! Watch out for ads especially on CRAIGLIST, using "917" and "347" area codes. These are NYC cell phone numbers and some of them are disposable like Trac phones. These people are for the most part "boiler room operations". They will ask you to spend a boat-load of money when all you need is one or two courses that are more favorably priced than theirs!

The highest paying category of security jobs is ARMED. These jobs usually pay in the $20 - $30/hr range. For this you will need to have the following minimum requirements.

(1) NYS Eight (8) Hour Pre Assignment Course for Security Guards.
(2) Forty-Seven (47) Hour Firearms Course for Security Guards*.
To take the Firearms course you will need a valid NYS pistol permit issued from the police department.

Some of the better unarmed jobs (schools, hospitals, etc.) can pay in the $20/hr range, too, but they do not always start that high. In addition, many of them will require that besides the Pre Assignment Course you also have the Sixteen (16) Hour On-the-Job Training Course certificate though it is not normally required by NYS until 90 days "after" you start working.

Other creds like EMT certification or SWAC clearance can also help you get the best paying jobs.

ramon

54 months ago

Will 2 misdameanors from 15 and 19 years ago delay my application or cause rejection?

ramon

54 months ago

Will 2 misdameanors from 15 and 19 years ago delay my application or cause rejection?

Dias in Wantagh, New York

54 months ago

I doubt it. I think a more significant or at least more recent crime would need to be on record for you to be rejected. If anything, call & ask before you mail in your application.

bj in Brooklyn, New York said: You send the following to the NYS Dept. of State for the license:

-check
-I was given 2 copies of the certificate, I only need to send 1 right?
-check
-I was given 2 copies of this too, they're identical, but on the same slip of paper. Do I mail it as-is or should I cut them, send one & keep the other?

Also, does it matter if I fold the application & certificate in an ordinary letter-grade envelope, or should I get something bigger?

Essence

54 months ago

I need help getting my security license and I don't have the money right now. Can any help me find a legit company. I have my 8hr and my 16hr. Please email me Nastasha_g@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Essence

54 months ago

I need help getting my security license and I don't have the money right now. Can any help me find a legit company. I have my 8hr and my 16hr. Please email me Nastasha_g@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BigA

54 months ago

Essence said: I need help getting my security license and I don't have the money right now. Can any help me find a legit company. I have my 8hr and my 16hr. Please email me Nastasha_g@yahoo.com

If you already have your 8 & 16, what is your problem? If the school that you got those certificates is legit, they should have told you that all you need to do is the following:

Send in ...

A) A Completed Security Guard Application.

B) The original copy of certificate from 8-Hour Pre-Assignment Course for Security Guards.
C) The receipt from your electronic fingerprints.
D) A money order in the amount of $36 Payable to the "Secretary of state NYS DOS (application fee).

Essence

54 months ago

I meant a legit company that will hire me even though I have my 8hr and 16hr.

Maritza

54 months ago

I can't affored a license right now. I have to kids and rent to worry about. I habve my 8hr and 16hr. Is there any companies that will hire me with that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul Mateo in Queens, New York

54 months ago

i need where to get a security guard licence, pls if known email the adress to me at rayintel@yahoo.com

theeinvisibleONE in South Ozone Park, New York

54 months ago

hi, i have my 8hr, 16hr, fireguard & nys security license. i don't have my GED so i wanted to go to a security company that wont have a problem with me not having one. does anyone know of any companies that pay good? the ones i called said they start at $7/hr. i really want to go to the actual building that would hire security but i know its a low chance of me finding one, especially for night shift. if any one knows of anything, thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ismael.rosado019@gmail.com in Bronx, New York

53 months ago

i need traing in secruity anbody know where in the bronx contact me at Ismael.rosado019@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Taz in Bronx, New York

53 months ago

Has anyone been to or heard of Blackhawk Security school in NYC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ACHANTE in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

bigpops in Walden, New York said: Hey

I've been doing security since 2001 and I'm looking to get more training , i'm sick and tired of working retail security. Does anybody know where I can get a better job that pays about $19 an hour and up, does anyone know how I can get my 47 hour armed course done for cheap , if so please email me at dj_hotboy5@hotmail.com

Thanks for all the help

U CAN TRY GOING INTO UR LOCAL SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE AND ASK THE OFFICERS THERE, THATS WHAT I DID. THE PAY IA AWESOME AND UR OFF ON THE WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ismael.rosado019@gmail.com in Bronx, New York

53 months ago

tell me more about this security traing

myguardtraining

53 months ago

ismael.rosado019@gmail.com in Bronx, New York said: tell me more about this security traing

Use this link to find out more.

criminaljustice.state.ny.us/ops/sgtraining/index.htm

myguardtraining

53 months ago

Taz in Bronx, New York said: Has anyone been to or heard of Blackhawk Security school in NYC?

If you have questions about if a security guard school is registered with New York State just go to this link . . .

In this case you will see they are registered and located in the Bronx.

Taz in Bronx, New York

53 months ago

edabarzua in Bronx, New York said: Yes that is correct if you live in Ny. I don't know about any other States. I just went through the same procedure.

Blackhawk security told me I have to redo my fingerprints with the state which makes no sense since they should be on file from my old license. I tried calling albany to be sure but they had me on hold for over 2 hours.

officer Paul in Silver Spring, Maryland

53 months ago

hi, i need a certification 16 hours training for DC,MD&VA.

D.George in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

I have my 8and my 16 hour certicate.How can i send it to you.

desmond in Jersey City, New Jersey

53 months ago

whitney in Brooklyn, New York said: 2 east 42 street is a scam they will charge you a lot of money fo just 8 and 16 hour

i went ot 23 st west avenue of the american ny they are charging 3000 for armed gard lic it this a scam also they are charging my friend 1500 for special security guard 688 avenue of the american

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Breeze U.L. in Fontana, California

53 months ago

where can i get a guard card in california real cheap. Or where can i find a security patrol gig that would help me obtain my license

joseph b r in New York, New York

53 months ago

my licensed expired a couple of years ago. i would like to work as a security guard, again. i worked for a new york city company and thet paid for my training and license which they subtracted from paychecks to pay for it. are there any companies that still do this? i am unemployed and broke and companies want an enourmous amount of money upfront before they employ you. a. is this legal? b. it's a moot point because i dont have that money anyway, and wont until i start working again. does anyone know of companies that will hire without the money upfront? willing to work, broke and desperate>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BigA

53 months ago

joseph b r in New York, New York said: my licensed expired a couple of years ago. i would like to work as a security guard, again. i worked for a new york city company and thet paid for my training and license which they subtracted from paychecks to pay for it. are there any companies that still do this? i am unemployed and broke and companies want an enourmous amount of money upfront before they employ you. a. is this legal? b. it's a moot point because i dont have that money anyway, and wont until i start working again. does anyone know of companies that will hire without the money upfront? willing to work, broke and desperate>

It is legal for companies in New York state to charge fees for if they are duly registered as a security guard school with the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services. Don't know of any companies that will spot you for the training, though I know there are legitimate places out there that will do it for about $60 - $70 for the 8 Hour class. Sometimes you can get the 8 & 16 Hour course about $115-$120.

If you have your old Pre Assignment Course certificate, all you will need is probably the 8 hour Annual In-Service Training Course and the 16 Hour On the Job Training Course if you never took it.

Ramona Brown in New York, New York

52 months ago

Where can i go to obtain a 8hr an a 16hr security certificates at a resonable fee or free training!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

myguardtraining.com

52 months ago

Make sure that the school is registered with the state first.

There are places that claim they are registered, but the certificate they issued isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

You can start by looking here . . .

Click on any of the blue links and check for schools in your area.

Also make sure that they will help you with your state license application and job placement with multiple companies too.

johnny vee in North Bergen, New Jersey

52 months ago

Joel montesino in New York, New York said: where can i get a security guard license where i have to go to get a nys application and also where do i go to get fingerprint include one nys/one federal. i don't have a driving license i have a learner permit or a security guard i have a high school diploma.
-As previously mentioned, the 8-hour pre-assignment course must be completed before licensing.
-within 90-days of beginning work, the 16-hour on-the-job training course must be completed.
-every year, beginning with the year after licensing, the 8-hour annual in-service course must be taken.

Do i need a ny drivers license to work in ny as a security officer i already have a nj drivers license

Dhelly in Cebu, Philippines

52 months ago

I found some useful information when it comes to security guard services and background investigation. Visit the site www.bluebreedsecurity.com .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

precious

52 months ago

What did you find useful?

jay212 in New York, New York

52 months ago

i had a license when i was 18 im 22 now and never renewed it is there any way i don't have to do all that scam stuff 300$ classes all over again. Are there any free ones in Manhattan or inexpensive ones security scams are growing every day pay 200+ and earn up to 15.00/hr please reply asap

thanks

my guard training .com

52 months ago

There are a number of honest schools in New York State, but unfortunately there are a LOT of SCAMS out there! Even when they are shut down or are forced to hide from the law, they open up right away under different names, addresses, and phone numbers.

- Some pretend to be registered schools with New York State but they are not. This means that the "certificate" you receive after spending a lot of money for unnecessary and substandard training is not worth the paper that it's printed on. Sometimes they do not give you certificates for the training until you spend hundreds more on other "required" training when all you may need is an 8 hour and/or 16 hour class.

- Some of these types pretend to be employers with "jobs" that pay decent money and "will train if qualified".

- Some are actual guard companies that play games and are NOT state-certified to give the training required by New York State. Again the certificate you receive (if they even give it to you) is WORTHLESS! This type of company often will give you substandard training then place you in low paying positions that you can never escape from! That's because they will not send your application and other required paperwork to the state.

If you get ARRESTED, SUED or BADLY HURT because you did not know what you are doing these types are not doing you any favors!

As a final point about these scammers or those who play a lot of games violating the law, they are not only in New York City (although most of them are based there in one form or another). You can find them in the suburbs too, although they seem to be a bit more honest out there.

The best starting point for ANYONE would be to go to the OFFICIAL New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services/Security Guard Program web site here ...

Click on the links concerning required training, then that will take you to the pdf file showing all the approved and registered securi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.