can you be a felon

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 204)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Kev in Bakersfield, California

46 months ago

hey what county do we file for a rehab certif. ? the one we got busted in or the 1 we live in ? Do we need an attorney or is it easy enough to do on our own?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wilfredo in Malolos, Philippines

46 months ago

I've live in like 36 States and have NEVER heard of a "Rehabilitation Certificate". Once you've been to jail/prison, you are fecked for just about anything.

I used to be a Pharmacy Technician, making $6,000 USD a month. Now I can't even get a job at Wal*Mart. Because I told someone to leave me alone or I'd kill their ass.

Do what I did. Just give up on ever getting any kind of decent job in the US (or be happy with what you have now), and leave the country. Just don't ever mention the past!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

reb1973 in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Hey everybody, i have a question about misdemeanor charges.Can a person with a M2 impersonation charge get jobs in security??.I'm located in PA.I was charged with the m2 with a group of others that ran a bounty hunting service(illegaly,false background and forged records) and i was only a witness to the actions that took place on their so called first job.Basically i was charged with guilt by association (when i look in hind site).The police affidavit said i announced myself on 2 occasions as a public servant,once to the public and then to police.I never said i was,i told the detective that i wasnt a member of their company.Is it possible to fight it??(I've been outta work 2 years now). I got a years probation and 40 hours community service out of it...and thats all over with.I just need to know if i have a possible chance at getting back into security work.I was a guard(unarmed) before this mess and thats the only job i'm really good at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Otis in Staten Island, New York

46 months ago

I was a registered and licensed security guard in New York with a felony. I also have a certificate of relief from civil disabilities. If you don't know the correct answer don't give people false information just admit you don't know. Instead of asking people in a forum your best bet is to call the agency responsible for licensing in your state and get the answers straight from the horses mouth and not from people who are talking out of the @#$$%^^^.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

allan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: A person with a felony is not automatically barred from being a security guard, bail enforcement/ fugitive recovery agent or private investigator.
If a person has a felony, they can apply to their state for a rehabilitation certificate. The certificate has many names in many states. Searching your state website will help with this. If a person has a felony these certificates basically say that you are rehabilitated and you are no longer a threat to society or a disreputable person. In New York especially. There are more than 1 million security guards and at least half of them have a criminal record and a guard license. Some states make it possible after certain periods of time and/or after going through a training or rehabilitation agency, but all in all yes, you can have a felony and be a security guard. It is actually illegal to be denied the job because you have the conviction. Also, you can retain you rights to carry firearms and your rights to hold public office (police officer, firefighter elected official, ect.). I am the Chief of my own Security firm. I have a felony conviction. I have had my rights restored. I have three college degrees in criminal justice. So it is possible to realize your dreams of having a good a and decent life if you fight for it.

hey chuckie, i would love to chat with you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

gogetta in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

hey there chuckie in brooklyn, or whoever else has info.. i am in pa, and i had a drug fellony in 1990, what are the options here in pa? can i apply for a certificate of rehabilitation or somthing simuliar? what is the name of it here in pennsylvania

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

freakin idiot

45 months ago

Ok long story short. I have a case because I kicked a 6 year old child a little too hard by accident. Can my security license get suspended because of this? And I do security in an apartment bldg. Also, I was getting paid to baby sit this boy. Im in some real deep crap now man. Smh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

johnny rivera in brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: A person with a felony is not automatically barred from being a security guard, bail enforcement/ fugitive recovery agent or private investigator.
If a person has a felony, they can apply to their state for a rehabilitation certificate. The certificate has many names in many states. Searching your state website will help with this. If a person has a felony these certificates basically say that you are rehabilitated and you are no longer a threat to society or a disreputable person. In New York especially. There are more than 1 million security guards and at least half of them have a criminal record and a guard license. Some states make it possible after certain periods of time and/or after going through a training or rehabilitation agency, but all in all yes, you can have a felony and be a security guard. It is actually illegal to be denied the job because you have the conviction. Also, you can retain you rights to carry firearms and your rights to hold public office (police officer, firefighter elected official, ect.). I am the Chief of my own Security firm. I have a felony conviction. I have had my rights restored. I have three college degrees in criminal justice. So it is possible to realize your dreams of having a good a and decent life if you fight f it.

hey chuckie just wanted to ask you since youve done soo good in the security field. my name is johnny im P.R 22 years old. i got convicted of a D felony assault in the 2cnd. i was 19 years old and served time in city jail and probation. i have not completed probation yet but i have not gotten into any more trouble misterminors nor felonies. i was wondering about getting into the security field but im reading all this post and dont wana get stuck paying all the fees and not being able 2 get licensed. I have a six month old daughter and have been with out work for a year and a half allready. any reconmandations? steps? HELP PLEASE Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big G in Woodbridge, Virginia

45 months ago

donjudah in New York, New York said: You are 100% wrong.. I'm living proof restoration of rights work. I'm a licensed Security Officer in 4 States. NY,FL,VA and TN. In Florida and Virginia I'm a licensed Armed Security Officer.

you are licensed in four states but do you have a felony?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

donjudah in New York, New York

45 months ago

I have a 20 year old felony but I have a NYS Certificate of Relief from Disabilities which clears me from firearms restrictions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

REBECCA in Nashville, Tennessee said: NO YOU CANNOT BE A SECURITY OFFICER IF YOU HAVE A FELONY PERIOD. SPECIALLY IN TEXAS

No your laws because you give out your bogus, false comments. In Texas you can get Relief from the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole. Texas also recognize other state restoration of firearm rights as long as the conviction and restoration of rights are from the same state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Big G in Woodbridge, Virginia said: you are licensed in four states but do you have a felony?

Yes I do with full restoration of rights. If you are from Virginia just go on the State Police website for firearm permits and they will explain restoration of rights..

ken in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

jonesboi in Bloomington, Illinois said: my question is can you be a felon a be a security guard ? i have just got a gun charge due to the fact that a young man whom i gave a ride to tossed his gun in my car and took off running.i had no money for a lawyer and was given a pd . i was charged and was given 30 months of probation . if anyone has any information about this topic please notify me asap thanks .

yes

45 months ago

Rebecca in Nashville.... you are absolutely without question incorrect. I am in Virginia and have 5 felonies... (all from one incident 17 years ago) mind you...none the less... I am a licensed security officer currently. As a matter of fact i am the project manager for the security company. I did have my rights restored two years ago and I am currently pursuing the certificate of rehabilitation to then become an armed officer. My question is ..is there anyone in Virginia that has had the certificate of rehabilitation process done so i can know what to expect?

xxxBlackOut in Jamaica, New York

45 months ago

i really need help. i worked at rite aid. i stole $140.00 of mechandise just 2 things that were expensive. i was fired. can i still become a security guard? do i have a felony? what are my chances this happened yesterday. p.s i had to steal cuz my fiance and i are being harrased and blackmailed and that person requested those items in order for him to go away and i got caught.

ripsix in Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

im in las vegas nv felony was in indiana and 26 years ago geting it expunged costs money im hired at a security comp. only can be dispatched to job locations if i can get my card what do i need to do to be alowed to work to make enough to pay the costs of expungment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SuculantMocha in Brooklyn, New York

44 months ago

If a person has a felony, they can apply to their state for a rehabilitation certificate. The certificate has many names in many states. Searching your state website will help with this. If a person has a felony these certificates basically say that you are rehabilitated and you are no longer a threat to society or a disreputable person. In New York especially. There are more than 1 million security guards and at least half of them have a criminal record and a guard license. Some states make it possible after certain periods of time and/or after going through a training or rehabilitation agency, but all in all yes, you can have a felony and be a security guard. It is actually illegal to be denied the job because you have the conviction. Also, you can retain you rights to carry firearms and your rights to hold public office (police officer, firefighter elected official, ect.). I am the Chief of my own Security firm. I have a felony conviction. I have had my rights restored. I have three college degrees in criminal justice. So it is possible to realize your dreams of having a good a and decent life if you fight for it.

Chuckie Thanks for the info I was becoming a little discourage. I already have obtained my certificate of relief but I was also asked to produce a accusatory instrument and a court disposition as well. I was curious if you knew how long this process will take? I will greatly appreciate any information you can provide me at this time.
SuculantMocha

AL in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

HEY GUYS.. does anyone know how and were i apply for a certificate of rehabilitation in pennsylvania

k in London, United Kingdom

44 months ago

reshonewilliams25@yahoo.com in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I have a question. My boyfriend had been arrested for something he did not do. He was charged. But later they found him to be innocent. They withdrew the charges or dismissed them. Would he be able to get security job? Even though these charges still show up as withdrawn or dismissed on his record. He has been trying to get it exsponged but right now he dose not have the means to do so. Will this effect him in finding employment?

can u help me i hav bin arrested for shoplifting attempt robbery x2 on a mobile phone but and went jail for affray
can i still be security ion london.......................!!!!!!

127 in Kingston, New York

43 months ago

YES YOU CAN IN NEW YORK.YOU HAVE TO GET A CERTIFICATE OF RELIEF WHICH WILL ELIMINATE ANY BARS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Quezon City, Philippines

43 months ago

127 in Kingston, New York said: YES YOU CAN IN NEW YORK.YOU HAVE TO GET A CERTIFICATE OF RELIEF WHICH WILL ELIMINATE ANY BARS

Which.... somehow doesn't apply to me? Strange my criminal attorney has never heard of this. I have a hard enough time getting jobs at Mc Donald's. All because I got in a fight once...

GCAM in Kingston, New York

43 months ago

Dan in Quezon City, Philippines said: Which.... somehow doesn't apply to me? Strange my criminal attorney has never heard of this. I have a hard enough time getting jobs at Mc Donald's. All because I got in a fight once...

www.parole.state.ny.us/certrelief.html

Jack Sparrow in Smithfield, North Carolina

42 months ago

REBECCA in Nashville, Tennessee said: NO YOU CANNOT BE A SECURITY OFFICER IF YOU HAVE A FELONY PERIOD. SPECIALLY IN TEXAS

This is no longer a true statement, and it's "especially"... Gun Felony, probably not under the new Texas Occupations Code. However, it never hurts to try!

Officer in Davis, California

42 months ago

How about this question? Can a secuirty guard get a firearms permit if he was charged of a Misdemeanor? Even if the security guard already have the guard guard, but applies for the gun permit.

gg023 in Woodbridge, Virginia

42 months ago

dejop in Rockford, Illinois said: If you have a felony charge on your record you will not be able to get your security license. That is something that will unfortunately follow you. I have had my license for 12 years, that is one of the questions asked and if you lie it will be found because they do a complete background check on you as well. Sorry it is not good news.

yes you can...i am!

42 months ago

fsghtba in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Sorry friend, the "F" is an automatic bar in every state in the union so far as I know.

You cannot be licensed.

Again this is definite misinformation. I have a few f's from 20 years ago. It truly depends on the crime committed. I am a project manager for a security company currently and my employer is fully aware.

However, I not only had my rights restored by the governor of Virginia two years ago but I petitioned the court for resoration of my gun rights, went to court last friday, and was awarded my petition. That's right....all of my rights have now been restored! So please DO NOT, for your own sake, let anyone tell you it can not be done!!!

I did it all without the help of an attorney!! If your crime was violent, drug related or gun related, which mine was not, I would suggest you contact an attorney.

42 months ago

jonesboi in Bloomington, Illinois said: my question is can you be a felon a be a security guard ? i have just got a gun charge due to the fact that a young man whom i gave a ride to tossed his gun in my car and took off running.i had no money for a lawyer and was given a pd . i was charged and was given 30 months of probation . if anyone has any information about this topic please notify me asap thanks .

I have a few f's from 20 years ago. It truly depends on the crime committed. I am a project manager for a security company currently and my employer is fully aware.

However, I not only had my rights restored by the governor of Virginia two years ago but I petitioned the court for resoration of my gun rights, went to court last friday, and was awarded my petition. That's right....all of my rights have now been restored! So please DO NOT, for your own sake, let anyone tell you it can not be done!!!

I did it all without the help of an attorney!! If your crime was violent, drug related or gun related, which mine was not, I would suggest you contact an attorney.

42 months ago

SuculantMocha in Brooklyn, New York said: Chuckie Thanks for the info I was becoming a little discourage. I already have obtained my certificate of relief but I was also asked to produce a accusatory instrument and a court disposition as well. I was curious if you knew how long this process will take? I will greatly appreciate any information you can provide me at this time.
SuculantMocha

In the state of Virginia ...a certificate of relief does not exist. The best thing for you to do is to log onto the virginia state police website and you can find how to petition the Governor for your rights. The process for this has just recently changed. Do yourself a favor...stop letting people that have no authority in this process knock the wind out of your sail. I am a felon and all of my rights have been restored as of last friday to include my gun rights! Good lick and God Bless!

42 months ago

freakin idiot said: Ok long story short. I have a case because I kicked a 6 year old child a little too hard by accident. Can my security license get suspended because of this? And I do security in an apartment bldg. Also, I was getting paid to baby sit this boy. Im in some real deep crap now man. Smh.

You definitely can loose your license behind this. If the parent decides to prosecute you, you will be charged with assault which is obviously a violent offense and your license could be in jeopardy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ptfosho in Houston, Texas

41 months ago

Royal Forest of Dean in Memphis, Tennessee said: I agree; no one with a FELONY should waste their time trying to become a Security Guard. It's probably possible in some circumstances; but, very rare. You will be FINGERPRINTED and your Driver License and Social Security Number will be ran. 99% of the time; you're going to be DENIED for a FELONY. AND, most Security Companies want applicants ONLY with a CLEAN RECORD. Getting your rights restored is possible, but, it takes time, you have to hire a lawyer, and there are other cost's involved; and even in that procedure; the court can still deny your petition at it's discretion. A convicted felon will always be better off going to school and taking up a good paying TRADE. There are certain TRADE's that pay better than a college degree.

What Trade?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Rebecca is completely wrong. No disrespect, but no one that has not experienced this should really not be commenting because all it is doing is perpetuating the doubt a felon already has. I will tell you now that in the state of Virginia you can be an unarmed security offcier with a felony record. It truly depends on what the felony is. I have a felony charge although not violent nor drug related. I not only got my unarmed licesnse through DCJS but was hired by a security company and was promoted to Project Manager. I had my political rights restored prior to being hired however that was never was questioned. Since working for the company I have had my gun rights restored as well and have completed the armed certification along with arrest authority. I had my rights restore by the Governor and my gun rights in the District Court and I did not have an attorney.

I am not saying all this to boast or anything but to give some hope to other felons out there wanting to complete this process. It is not easy but it is certainly worth the effort. Don't let anything or anyone become a deterent. I can not speak on how things are done in other states only in Virginia. If you need some assisstance please do not hesitate to comment and I will try to give you as much help as I can or atleast put you on the right path. Take care and good luck!

lookingforward in Chesapeake, Virginia

41 months ago

gg023 in Woodbridge, Virginia said: You definitely can loose your license behind this. If the parent decides to prosecute you, you will be charged with assault which is obviously a violent offense and your license could be in jeopardy.

@GG023 I also live in Va and got convicted of 2 felonies in 1996 burglary and Grand Larceny. Thats the only convictions Ive ever had and I like you have had my rights restored and actually now am in the process of obtaining a simple pardon(the only one I can get) from the governor. Also like you I went to court and tried to get my gun rights back, I recieved rifle and shotgun rights but not handguns. How and what did you say to convince them to have full firearms rights restored. Also How did you go about getting such a good job. I still find it extremely difficult to get a decent paying job. Ive thought about schools such as doing xrays and even computer training but from what ive heard that you cant even intern in a hospital because of a felony. Long story short how did you accomplish your goals, since you live in the same state im very interest in knowing since Va is one of the hardest states when it comes to felonies. Thanks

gg023/ Big G in Woodbridge, Virginia

41 months ago

To: looking forward in Chesapeake, Va

To be honest with you I think that you may want to go back to court and hopefully you get a different attorney. One of the things I did was apply for my unarmed security certification throught DCJS. They will send you an interim(paper letter) authorizing you to work as an unarmed security officer. What I did was send my petition, along with the copies of my DCJS credentials where I have baton and OC Spray certifications as well to the court prior tp the court date. Any paperwork you submit will be copied and also sent to the District Attorney to review as well. By the time i went to court I was in and out of there in less than 3 minutes and I didn't have to say a word. My offense was back in 1991 so for me it has been 20 years with no other infractions.

41 months ago

Thanks Big G. When I went to court it went smooth til the commonwealth attorney said he had a problem with the firearms restoration. Then the judge drilled me with questions as to why I wanted it and before I even answered anything he said if your trying to get handguns its not happening so right of the bat I was screwed, I would say I was unlucky with the judge I had. As to regards to what you were saying, I wasnt particularly looking for a career in Security for the reason I didnt think it payed that well from the jobs ive seen available. It does seem like it would be a ok job to have if the pay and benefits were right. But I am very interested in getting full firearms rights restored. I will def look into the unarmed security cert. and DCJS. Every step and every certificate that shows that im working towards bettering myself is a plus. I welcome any and all positive advice and recommendations. If anyone knows the jobs in VA that a felony will bare you from. Thanks again Big G.

41 months ago

@Big G not to sound dumb but when you say you have "baton and OC spray certs" what is that?

41 months ago

@LOOKINGFORWARD in Chesapeake, Va

The baton is the collapsable batons that the police use and the oc is a law enforcement grade pepper spray that requires certification to carry.

41 months ago

@Big G, Thanks for that. I have a couple of the Collapsable batons that I thought were legal for anyone to own and possess as long as it wasnt concealed. I emailed the DCJS about a app like you were saying, I havent heard anything from them yet.
Some local news caught my eye in Newport News a Guy was charged with running a security company with out any licence or certificates, but what I say is one of his charges was having a convicted felon hired as a security guard. I dont know all the info behind it but there must be so kind of permission so to speak to allow a person with a felony to legally become a security guard or work for a security company, obviously your prove of that. I just want to make sure everything I do is on the clean and narrow and advances my career and life and not set me back.

UCanDoIt in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

Im very late on this issue being that it is a very old post but here is my in put in NEW YORK STATE you can get a SECURITY LICENSE even though you have multiple Felony convictions on your record but it's not easy here is what has to be done. (MANY STATES HAVE THE SAME RULES THEY JUST DONT ADVERTISE IT CAUSE OF POLITICAL REASON... JUST CHECK YOU CAN BECOME A SECURITY GUARD AND EVEN OBTAIN A GUN PERMIT AFTER YOU GET A CERTIFICATE OF RELIEF, or GOOD CONDUCT or SEALED AND EXSPONGED GET A LAWYER IF YOU HAVE TO...)

1. Get your 8 Hr and 16 hour certificates
2. One you have those get the Security License application and your Finger Printing it has to be done Electronically
3. Go to every Court House that you have been convicted in Felonies and Misdemeanor and get a court Disposition
4. Write a brief essay describing the changes you made in life including any child work background and the importance of this job in provide for yourself and/or family
5. Pay the fee and wait
***NOTE*** its is not a definite but if u include all your disposition and follow the application to a T you will get it they will not deny you for anything unless you lied and did not follow the exact instructions of your application to the letter. If you are employed already in security have your boss write the letter and submit your application through him it helps a lot more. Also the time that has lapsed since your conviction and you can not be on Parole or Probation...

I hope that helps!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

UCanDoIt in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

Royal Forest of Dean in Memphis, Tennessee said: I agree; no one with a FELONY should waste their time trying to become a Security Guard. It's probably possible in some circumstances; but, very rare. You will be FINGERPRINTED and your Driver License and Social Security Number will be ran. 99% of the time; you're going to be DENIED for a FELONY. AND, most Security Companies want applicants ONLY with a CLEAN RECORD. Getting your rights restored is possible, but, it takes time, you have to hire a lawyer, and there are other cost's involved; and even in that procedure; the court can still deny your petition at it's discretion. A convicted felon will always be better off going to school and taking up a good paying TRADE. There are certain TRADE's that pay better than a college degree.

I have 6 Felony convictions last one 10 yrs. ago I have a security license from NYS it can be done you just cant lie about it they will decide you have a like and 80% chance of getting it they dont screen all applications only the ones that seem to have inconsistencies if you send your dispositions and follow the app you will get it all states by Federal law are equal opportunity employers they cant discriminate but they can deny you for lying or any mistake on your application... AND THATS FACT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

@ UCanDoIt Thanks for your advice. So your supposed to do the training class before even applying for the certificate? In VA you have to go through The DCJS (department of criminal justice services) an you have to apply through them and since I have a felony conviction im required to do the criminal and fingerprinting witch of course is more money. But it there outline it doesnt necessarily say what to do first it just tells you what you have to do. I thought you had to get a temp registration before you could do a class. I guess I might be mistaken, I am going to call them monday to make sure I do everything in order and to the T. I hope to use this to hopefully become a armed security guard then potentially work in some kind of law enforcement. I know thats a tough path but who knows. I wasnt even sure were to get the fingerprinting done, the obvious guess would be the state police station were most of the fingerprinting would be done. Anyway I appreciate your time and help. If you have any other suggestions or advice I always welcome it. Seeing your from NY have you thought about trying to become a NY police officer, I heard they start around 70K.

ptfosho in Houston, Texas

41 months ago

I would like to thank you for this info. I was workig for security for 6 mths it came back on me a crime was committed 1991 commercial gambling in the state of Georgia and i was laid off because of this and denied for security license so i am appealing for my security license now so I will follow the steps and wish me luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

futurecop in Charleston, Illinois said: Are you seriously freakin retarded? Felony is obviously a punishable offense that is punishable by minimum of 365 days in prison, thats one thing that seperates misdemeanor from felony is the sentence you recieve. Misdemeanor is punishable by up to 364 days in jail. Learn your facts man

This is false, I received a felony for a controlled substance and didnt get sentenced to a single day in prison..... Get your facts right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Ron What futurecop is saying is that a felony is punishable by a min. of yr in jail, but like me and yourself that have had felony convictions, that sentenced can be suspended to just probation or whatever the judge sees fit. Thats why you hear all the time on the news that someone was sentenced to 99 years for murder but 50 years was suspended. Hope this clears it up. Hope your moving forward, good luck with everything..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A-rodd in Sylmar, California

40 months ago

fsghtba in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Sorry friend, the "F" is an automatic bar in every state in the union so far as I know.

You cannot be licensed.

u guys are wrong.. as far as california gos..i happen to know 2 people who are guards with fellonys..but they can own a gun permit..if enough time has passed since the crime then they will consider..remember..i have 2 friends with fellonys and their crimes was years ago..one for robbery and the other friend iam not sure

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

A-rodd in Sylmar, California

40 months ago

A-rodd in Sylmar, California said: u guys are wrong.. as far as california gos..i happen to know 2 people who are guards with fellonys..but they can own a gun permit..if enough time has passed since the crime then they will consider..remember..i have 2 friends with fellonys and their crimes was years ago..one for robbery and the other friend iam not sure

meant to say they can not own a gun permit..lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Seminole, Florida

40 months ago

Doutful.You would be considered high risk.The only jobs you could get is road construction or fast food.You screw up once in life,even when it isn't your fault,you are screwed for life.America creates lifetime criminals because it doesn't give 2nd chances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

@lookingforward in Chesapeake, Virginia

Sprry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I didn't hear about that situation in Newport News but it sounds like he didn't do his due diligence prior to opening this type of service. Well I have some things to add to everything I posted previously. Yes I am a convicted felon...yes I have been working as an unarmed security officer and project manager for a security company for almost a year now. I now have my right to bare arms restored...I have my concealed weapons permit and have completed and received my armed security officer credentials from DCJS!!! I even purchased my first handgun about a month ago.. All I can say is THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

@lookingforward in Chesapeake, Virginia

The first thing you want to do is contact DCJS and find out if your
conviction(s)will hinder you from getting certified. If not you then want to locate and contact a DCJS approved school which you can find on the DCJS website. You will need to take the class for unarmed security officer(O1E) which I beleive is 20 hrs, usually 2-10 hour days. Once you have completed the class your photo, initial registration card, and finger print card needs to be sent off to Richmond. The school can send those items for you or you can do it yourself. Once DCJS recieves your info they can and usually do...send you a temporary letter authorizing you to work (which you will have to keep on you while working) while they conduct the background investigation. After everything is completed they will then issue your id card.

If your rights have not been restored what I would suggest is writing the governor asap to get the process in motion. The process is supposed to be a 60 day turnaround now. If restored this does not give your gun rights back. You will have to go to the state in which you were convicted if not Virginia and petition the court. Once your gun rights are restored....go immediately back to the school and apply for the armed officer class(O7E) and you will also need to take (O5E) which is arrest authority.

You will also need to have some sort of formal training in order to be considered for your concealed permit... whether or online or in person. Completion of the armed officer class safices as the formal training. Take your cetificate of completion back to the courthouse and fill out the application for your concealed permit($50). That can take up to 45 days or so. The reason you want to do the concealed is because the last thing you want to happen is the get stopped after a shift and the police find a firearm in your possession. "CYA" (cover your ass)

Good luck...let me know if i can help further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

this statement is correct. a misdemeanor is punishable up to 364 days in jail and a felony 365+ in jail and/ or prison. whether your were snetenced to that is something else. but this is accurate and factual.

looking forward in Chesapeake, Virginia

40 months ago

@ Big G in Woodbridge, Virginia

I contacted the DCJS through email and the lady said I had to do the application,fingerprints and criminal background followed by taking a DCJS accredited unarmed security class. That really didnt make since to me to send in a application and go to the state police to get a fingerprint card then do the class. My thinking is like you said to first take the class send in the application with all necessary info and wait for your temp card. Im going to call them again, hopefully this time someone will pick up, and get the right info. Just a fyi my convictions were Burglary & grand Larceny in VA. 1996. I have had my rights restored several years ago and actually waiting on the Governors response to my simple pardon appeal.
As for obtaining my american right to bear arms again, thats a wish I dream about that hopefully comes true. I have successfully gained the right to own, posess, buy rifles/shotguns but not handguns as of yet. I got a lawyer to help with the firearms petition because i was told I had to, but i remember you saying you didnt. Im very interested in knowing again the steps you took to get your full firearms rights back and I am really impressed that you were able to get a concealed permit, I didnt think there was any way of obtaining that with a felony conviction. My goal is to be able to legally own,buy,use a handgun and use that to my advantage in finding work whether it be in security or some type of law enforcement. Big G your really a inspritation to me and it gives me hope that I can achieve the same statues as you. depending on your felony(s) it might have been easier. Thanks again for all the post and info.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.