can you be a felon

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 203)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Tim in Yorba Linda, California

28 months ago

NathanNiel in Los Angeles said: Hi,

Felony is a punishable offense. The culprit can be sentenced to maximum of one year in prison. You can seek some legal advice in this matter as you are trying for a security kind of job.

This is incorrect you must have ment misdemeanor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jon Doh in San Jose, California

27 months ago

Fmessedupmylife in Bronx, New York said: rEALLY? IM FROM THE BRONX CAN YOU HELP ME GET MY FIREARM LICENSE?

Your from the bronx, you dont need a license! ;o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jayda in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

Can u have a misdemeanor and be a license security in new york city?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

c.smith in Suffolk, Virginia

27 months ago

Big G in Woodbridge, Virginia said: @lookingforward in Chesapeake, Virginia

Sprry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I didn't hear about that situation in Newport News but it sounds like he didn't do his due diligence prior to opening this type of service. Well I have some things to add to everything I posted previously. Yes I am a convicted felon...yes I have been working as an unarmed security officer and project manager for a security company for almost a year now. I now have my right to bare arms restored...I have my concealed weapons permit and have completed and received my armed security officer credentials from DCJS!!! I even purchased my first handgun about a month ago.. All I can say is THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!

well can i ask you for your help i am a conviceted felon and im trying to do the samething as you. i live in chesapeake myself and i will be off probation in 6months. i was woundering if you could guide me in the right direction.

Diggz in Newark, New Jersey

26 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: That is absolutely incorrect. A person is eligible to work in security with a felony in almost every state. If the state requires a license it can be issued under certain circumstances (rehabilitation certificates, certificates of restoration, restoration of civil rights certificates, certificates of good conduct) I have a felony and I am the Chief of Security in my firm and I am legally allowed to carry a Taser and a firearm because I have obatianed a rehabilitation certificate

Thanks bro, bc all these other comments are surely discouraging. is there any way you can tell me what certificates i may need with a robbery charge, not violent. not a armed robbery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jason a in North Las Vegas, Nevada

26 months ago

BigLock2 in Park Forest, Illinois said: Not in all states. Some states go by the type of felony it is. I know I have one also. Illinois and some other Midwestern states bar you but, others like Connecticut go by what your charge was.

what if your felony was dropped to a gross misdemeanor like conspiracy to withdraw a deadly weapon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ministernelsonjr in Westchester, Illinois

26 months ago

dejop in Rockford, Illinois said: If you have a felony charge on your record you will not be able to get your security license. That is something that will unfortunately follow you. I have had my license for 12 years, that is one of the questions asked and if you lie it will be found because they do a complete background check on you as well. Sorry it is not good news.

I'm a class x felon I received my security license so yes you can get your security license

Angel

26 months ago

Can u get your security license if.you have a felony

but was not vilont it was felony vandilism?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Trefor Gordon in Riverton, Illinois

25 months ago

Do not listen to these people. If you have a question about a felony in regards to a job, do not ask the internet. Every one of these people who said absolutely not do not know what they are talking about. I went directly to the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation, who issue the PERC cards. I told them I was a felon and wanted to work as a security guard. The lady from PERC licenisng department told me to wait about 7 years from the conviction date, then to apply. She said to explain what I have done since being convicted and if they believe that I have demonstrated that I am trying to change my life they may issue me my PERC card anyways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Trefor Gordon in Riverton, Illinois

25 months ago

It doesnt matter what the felony is or whether or not you have a certificate of rehabilitation. And its called a Certificate of Relief From Civil Disablities, and if you have more than one violent felony conviction, the State of Illinois will not give you one and you must apply for a pardon to get it.

jeff in Nashville, Tennessee

25 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: A person with a felony is not automatically barred from being a security guard, bail enforcement/ fugitive recovery agent or private investigator.
If a person has a felony, they can apply to their state for a rehabilitation certificate. The certificate has many names in many states. Searching your state website will help with this. If a person has a felony these certificates basically say that you are rehabilitated and you are no longer a threat to society or a disreputable person. In New York especially. There are more than 1 million security guards and at least half of them have a criminal record and a guard license. Some states make it possible after certain periods of time and/or after going through a training or rehabilitation agency, but all in all yes, you can have a felony and be a security guard. It is actually illegal to be denied the job because you have the conviction. Also, you can retain you rights to carry firearms and your rights to hold public office (police officer, firefighter elected official, ect.). I am the Chief of my own Security firm. I have a felony conviction. I have had my rights restored. I have three college degrees in criminal justice. So it is possible to realize your dreams of having a good a and decent life if you fight for it.

do you know if it is possible in tennessee?

Arty in Brooklyn, New York

24 months ago

Today I got my 8 hour course. Ive committed two felonies when i was under age, right now Im in the program that will dismiss my case upon completion. I still have an open case, but how can I get licenced if I wasnt convicted, but have an open case? Im really breaking my head, district attorney and the judge would help me if I knew exactly what is needed from them and how they can help. Someone please help me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

omar in Atlantic City, New Jersey

24 months ago

Ron in Bronx, New York said: This is false, I received a felony for a controlled substance and didnt get sentenced to a single day in prison..... Get your facts right.

this is true i got a felon charge never even seen the doors to prison

mrnewyork in Ridgewood, New York

24 months ago

William in Buffalo, New York said: A felony is not a maximum of a year. People can get up to life in prison...

Felony is a minimum of a year.

Imnasty in Cranbury, New Jersey

22 months ago

Sorry, but you'll never be in Security as a prior felon.

oldharleydude in Cherokee Village, Arkansas

22 months ago

toodiminamerica in Apache Junction, Arizona said: That would be "especially" dear. No wonder some of you cannot get jobs!!

You are wrong, you can get your security license in Texas and be a felon.I have personally talked to the school. So,you just need to take the 6 hour test, but you cant be an armed guard.
Get your facts straight before you give wrong info.

Imnasty in Trenton, New Jersey

22 months ago

oldharleydude in Cherokee Village, Arkansas said: You are wrong, you can get your security license in Texas and be a felon.I have personally talked to the school. So,you just need to take the 6 hour test, but you cant be an armed guard.
Get your facts straight before you give wrong info.

No Sir (Hard Charger) you can not, Have you not read the prior post of people wanting to get into the security fields and can't because of past (big time) mistakes? I hold a secret clearance with the United States Govt and I'm a govt employee in Security and I know AND WORK "the game" as an expert in Security fields on high level. FACT!! your pal is dead wrong. misdemeanors yes,maybe, felons "NO" FACT!!

We can't have citizens working in Security and around situations that are of a sensitive nature who are employed by a private security companies who have already lost the "public Trust" because of being prior felons. Any questions?

oldharleydude in Mountain Home, Arkansas

22 months ago

You sir are full of crap! You can get a security 2 license in Texas if you have commited a felony. Dont care what you think or what you think you know. But you cannot carry a weapon of any sort.
Yes,we have felons that I would trust before you bozos that work for the goverment!
So,get your facts right before you give false information.

Most states do not allow felons to hold security positions but Texas is one that does. 8 hour classroom training = security 2 license.If you still insist to argue the point make a call find out that you are WRONG!!!
Good Day!

22 months ago

oldharleydude in Mountain Home, Arkansas said: You sir are full of crap! You can get a security 2 license in Texas if you have commited a felony. Dont care what you think or what you think you know. But you cannot carry a weapon of any sort.
Yes,we have felons that I would trust before you bozos that work for the goverment!
So,get your facts right before you give false information.

Most states do not allow felons to hold security positions but Texas is one that does. 8 hour classroom training = security 2 license.If you still insist to argue the point make a call find out that you are WRONG!!!
Good Day!

OK, TOUGH GUY, HERE COMES THE END GAME- Answer us this,

What happens if you are a felon and have a "so called" security license, and your company operates as a guard service for a company that requires "all" it's employess to have a US "Secret Clearance"

Zingggggggggggggggggg

lol...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

ummm! Do you have nothing better to do?
Lets see the real question was can a felon have a security license?
All I know is in Texas you can hold a security license, but carry no weapons.
Who in the hell mentioned anything about a security clearance for the goverment.
This level 2 position would be like a mall cop position. No one is applying to the CIA dummy.Why does this bother you so much? Sounds like someone got out from rikers and run off with your boyfriend.
So quit acting like your Mr. No it all. Nobody is paying attention to someone from Joisey anyway.
Get a life. Now go make your rounds someone is shop lifting in the ladies dept. :)
GOTCHA!!!

GOTCHA

22 months ago

C.45:19A-4 New Jersey State Police-- Registration required for security officers
4. a. No person shall be employed as, or perform the functions and activities of, a security
officer unless that person is registered with the Superintendent as required in this section. Any
person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a crime.

c. No person shall be issued a certificate of registration as a security officer under the
provisions of this section if the person has been convicted, as indicated by a criminal history
record background check performed pursuant to the provisions of this section, of: a crime of
the first, second, third or fourth degree; any offense involving the unlawful use, possession or
sale of a controlled dangerous substance as defined in N.J.S.2C:35-2; or any offense where the
registration of the individual would be contrary to the public interest, as determined by the
Superintendent. Each applicant shall submit to the Superintendent the applicant's fingerprints and
written consent for a criminal history record background check to be performed. The
Superintendent shall compare these to fingerprints on file with the State Bureau of Identification
in the Division of State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, consistent with applicable
State and federal laws, rules and regulations.

22 months ago

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

F.O.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilith in Fort Worth, Texas

22 months ago

if your in the state of TEXAS, you will lose your security license for a felony conviction during the time that you have your license. most security places in dallas,texas will not hire you. my ex just got a felony conviction for delivery/sale of marijuana and the misdemeanor charge for unlawfully carrying a weapon (the idiot was in his security uniform with weapon on his hip selling weed). the state has suspended is license.

Bigpapadee117 in Daytona Beach, Florida

21 months ago

dwayne in Ocala, Florida said: awsome,sir please help me i live in florida i am trying to get my gaurd license i am a conviced felone please contact me asap with info and step by step on how to get the license ,and to me able to carry a tazer,or firearm

Hi in 1997 I was convicted of a class e felony in ny but I didn't do any jail time I got time served and five years probation which I did. I'm trying to get a class g license here in fla now but I'm afraid to apply irk if I need to get a certificate of relief or just do it. Cause I applied for a voters card and got it and I also applied for a hunting and fishing permit here in fla and I was approved so I'm confused I am also having a problem with ny trying to find out where I should apply for the certificate cause I was convicted in white plains ny and started probation there but moved to the Bronx and the had my probation moved there and that's where I finished and haven't need in trouble since and I keep getting a run around on how or where they even told me I have to come down to ny and do it in person can somebody tell me how or where to do this or if I even need to ?

21 months ago

William in Buffalo, New York said: There is no such "certification" showing you are "no longer a threat" in most states. I've lived around the nation, and have done hordes of research. Never found such a thing. Once you have been convicted, you will be deemed a threat the remainder of your life.

Expungement also is not possible if you were 17 or older. You can however, get a Governor's pardon. However, this is a 10 year process, and rarely EVER happens.

Hi in 1997 I was convicted of a class e felony in ny but I didn't do any jail time I got time served and five years probation which I did. I'm trying to get a class g license here in fla now but I'm afraid to apply irk if I need to get a certificate of relief or just do it. Cause I applied for a voters card and got it and I also applied for a hunting and fishing permit here in fla and I was approved so I'm confused I am also having a problem with ny trying to find out where I should apply for the certificate cause I was convicted in white plains ny and started probation there but moved to the Bronx and the had my probation moved there and that's where I finished and haven't need in trouble since and I keep getting a run around on how or where they even told me I have to come down to ny and do it in person can somebody tell me how or where to do this or if I even need to ?

21 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: That is absolutely incorrect. A person is eligible to work in security with a felony in almost every state. If the state requires a license it can be issued under certain circumstances (rehabilitation certificates, certificates of restoration, restoration of civil rights certificates, certificates of good conduct) I have a felony and I am the Chief of Security in my firm and I am legally allowed to carry a Taser and a firearm because I have obatianed a rehabilitation certificate

21 months ago

21 months ago

tjpadilla37 in Irvington, New York

21 months ago

William in Buffalo, New York said: In NY state, you cannot go to school. You cannot get any rights restored. And in most cases, cannot get a job. It has been 12 years since my crime (threat), and I have had one 3 month job. And even with the help of an attorney , I am not allowed on school grounds. Or hospitals, or clinics, or any place that there are people under 21. ANd of course the DNA samples and all that....

I'd be lucy to work at Mc Donald's....

You'd be blessed to work at Mcdonalds. They are a very reputable company to work for and in many instances will hire from within if the employee shows the aptitude and interest. As for obtaining a security guard license, Yes it is possible. As long as you acquire a Release from Disabilities or a letter of good conduct (NYS) One of the provisions is that you only have 1 felony conviction and as many as multiple misdemeanors. The crime of conviction must be of a non violent nature. So that means no armed robberies, murders, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF A SEXUAL NATURE for the rapo's out there and no burglaries of the 1rst and 2nd degrees. I have just completed the process and I am living proof. I am from the NYC area with 1 felony conviction of 14 years ago

larry in Fort Washington, Maryland

21 months ago

i have a falony charge pending still for possesion of burglaries tools do that still stop me for having a gun licens and getting in any type of law enforcement security or a officer

Curtis in Tampa, Florida

21 months ago

I called the office in Tallahassee that licenses and was told that you need to be at least 12 years clean. But even then you may or may not be able to obtain your licenses...I don't care. I'm going to try any ways. It's costing me $30, so I have nothing to lose by trying...You should try

Curtis in Tampa, Florida

21 months ago

I was told you can by the office in Tallahassee

Larry in Phoenix, Arizona

19 months ago

PETER in Brooklyn, New York said: HI CHUCKIE I JUST READ YOU COMMENT AND WAS TURNED DOWN FOR AN A MISDEMEANOR THAT I INCURRED PROTECTING MY FAMILY. ITS SEEMS NO ONE WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE. CAN YOU HELP ME OR POINT ME IN RIGHT DIRECTION, CAN I WORK FOR YOU I HAVE A CURRENT VALID SECURITY LICENSE. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER

PETER

Hi don't know who i am addressing but are you allowed to work unarmed security in Arizona on an allege misdemeanor - from Larry in Arizona.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Phoenix, Arizona

19 months ago

is that yes and no or is there an answer.

mnenmn in Fayetteville, Georgia

19 months ago

Wilfredo in Malolos, Philippines said: I've live in like 36 States and have NEVER heard of a "Rehabilitation Certificate". Once you've been to jail/prison, you are fecked for just about anything.

I used to be a Pharmacy Technician, making $6,000 USD a month. Now I can't even get a job at Wal*Mart. Because I told someone to leave me alone or I'd kill their ass.

Do what I did. Just give up on ever getting any kind of decent job in the US (or be happy with what you have now), and leave the country. Just don't ever mention the past!

So what country do you live in now and how did you get there?

Vaman757 in Chesapeake, Virginia

17 months ago

First of all let me set all of you that dont know what are you talking about strait! I work for the government and have 2 felonys and I hold a secret clearance the government is more so concerned about your credit than your past charges so all of u that say a felon cannot get a gov. Job or clearance have no idea what you are talking about. Second a non violent or non drug charge felon can obtain his right to carry a firearm back! U first have to obtain your basic civil rites back then petition to get your gun rites back but the process is costly! There u have it!

21 JUMP STREET in Cranbury, New Jersey

17 months ago

Vaman757 in Chesapeake, Virginia said: First of all let me set all of you that dont know what are you talking about strait! I work for the government and have 2 felonys and I hold a secret clearance the government is more so concerned about your credit than your past charges so all of u that say a felon cannot get a gov. Job or clearance have no idea what you are talking about. Second a non violent or non drug charge felon can obtain his right to carry a firearm back! U first have to obtain your basic civil rites back then petition to get your gun rites back but the process is costly! There u have it!

I throw the BS Flag, I'm a Gov't and federal officer with the rapid deployment teams for DHS and you're right about credit, but very wrong about prior felonies, it's red flag with the OPM's and that a fact.

tawan in Washington, District of Columbia

12 months ago

Is this true In wisconsin and how do I obtain the certificate?

tawan stewart in milwaukee, Wisconsin

12 months ago

Can I work security here ask a felon. Non violent.. and how?

Roberto M. in San Diego, California

11 months ago

How did that come about? How can i obtain a certificate of good conduct? I have a felony, but it was a mistake I committed, and I know myself, I'm not a type of person that causes problems, if anything I try to help out. I know the problem would be having to make the other parties believe me.

Roberto M. in San Diego, California

11 months ago

Great job Chuck! in Bellwood, Illinois said: I am proud of you. Keep it up.

Seriously, you come as an inspiration to me. All my life I have wanted to study criminal justice and be in a field where I can wear a badge and be proud of myself. The truth is that I am young and I screwed up at a very young age, and it is depressing at times. The fact that i see 1 person being able to do something like this gives me hope. I would sure love to know what steps I can take to overcome my poor criminal history. If you have any tips, or if you could let me know what steps you took it would be great.

Damien in Oroville, California

10 months ago

Roberto M. in San Diego, California said: Seriously, you come as an inspiration to me. All my life I have wanted to study criminal justice and be in a field where I can wear a badge and be proud of myself. The truth is that I am young and I screwed up at a very young age, and it is depressing at times. The fact that i see 1 person being able to do something like this gives me hope. I would sure love to know what steps I can take to overcome my poor criminal history. If you have any tips, or if you could let me know what steps you took it would be great.

In the state of California you can. After 10 years of discharge of parole you may get a governers pardon which if he pardons you the record still shows but it also shows youve been pardoned. After you have been pardoned you may get your constitutional rights back like owning a gun, you may even become a parol officer. Violent felonies may not be expunged but like myself may be pardoned. I see what guy here who says he works us government security he doesnt know what hes talking about ive been through the process and know yes you may become a security guard or parole officer and have your guns rights back through pardon. You may become a licensed contractor with the cslb after 7 years of discharge. which i am. Every state in the union has "pardon from the governer" call a lawyer not people on the internet with there own opinions. And to the one who said all we get is fast food jobs and construction jobs there dead wrong. Mcdonalds and burger king are the strickest jobs you can get in ca no criminal history at all but yet we can get clearance from D.O.J to be janitor at elementry school. You can do what you want as long as you put your mind to it and ask a licensed legal lawyer. Trust me i did.

Damien in Oroville, California

10 months ago

Imnasty in Trenton, New Jersey said: No Sir (Hard Charger) you can not, Have you not read the prior post of people wanting to get into the security fields and can't because of past (big time) mistakes? I hold a secret clearance with the United States Govt and I'm a govt employee in Security and I know AND WORK "the game" as an expert in Security fields on high level. FACT!! your pal is dead wrong. misdemeanors yes,maybe, felons "NO" FACT!!

We can't have citizens working in Security and around situations that are of a sensitive nature who are employed by a private security companies who have already lost the "public Trust" because of being prior felons. Any questions?

This is incorrect me being a violent felon. Have had a governers pardon and i may now own a firearm and can be a parole officer or armed guard if i want. All states in the us have governers pardon you must be free of anything for 10 years after discharge of parole but even the worst felons have that right you idiot.

elizabeth in Bronx, New York

10 months ago

Yes you could.

elizabeth in Bronx, New York

10 months ago

Yes you could. you could become a security guard you just have to get your cetificate call good behavior from your parole office

I mahatma I in Lakewood, California

6 months ago

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to still retain all my permits (guard card, fire aim etc.)
Is a domestic violence charge is dropped to a misdemeanor?.

johnsondelicia in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

Can I still become a security officer w/a misdemeanor of public lewdness that is 10 yrs old? Please help. I love doing security and I haven't committed any offenses since then.HELP!

Michelle in Brooklyn, New York

2 months ago

Once you have been convicted of being a felon you will never be hired as a licensed security guard. When your fingerprints come back from the state with a red flag listing you as a felon it's pretty much over.

Eddie in New York, New York

1 month ago

dejop in Rockford, Illinois said: If you have a felony charge on your record you will not be able to get your security license. That is something that will unfortunately follow you. I have had my license for 12 years, that is one of the questions asked and if you lie it will be found because they do a complete background check on you as well. Sorry it is not good news.

Yes.. U have to apply for a certificate of good conduct.. Only 12 States offer these certs with nys being one.. U have to get a lot of paper work but it's worth the wait

Eddie in New York, New York

1 month ago

toodiminamerica in Apache Junction, Arizona said: Why can you become a security guard w/ a felony and I can't continue doing loss prevention w/ a misdemeanor? How is that?

Have u applied for a certificate of rehabilitation from disabilities.. Some of u ppl need to do your homework especially when u have a criminal record. Things just don't fall on your lap..

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.