Carrying a shotgun on work assignment.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

MineGuard in Maceo, Kentucky

66 months ago

I work for a security company that takes care of numerous mine and quarry properties. My schedule often runs from 1800 to 0600 hours and im assigned to work areas that are several miles off the main roads. Often there is not a soul around and it is pitch black with no neighboring farm lights visible. Every once in a while i can hear vehicles crossing a highway bridge several miles off in the distance.
I am told i am not allowed to have any type of firearm in my posession because i am not what the company terms as "properly trained to use a firearm during routine work activities". But the security company says it would be too much of a liability for its employees to be trained to carry firearms. Im told if i or anyone else is caught in posession of a firearm on company properties we will be subject to immediate dismissal from work.
But still i choose to carry a twelve guage magnum shotgun with the plug removed to accomodate five shells. With the ample supply of chemicals needed to make methamphetamine being located on mine property i dont want to take the chance of getting killed by a paranoid drug cook. I personally feel the twelve guage shotgun packs more than enough fire power to effectively stop anyone who may be intent on causing me physical harm.
I am wondering how other security guards may feel about this issue. Do you carry firearms despite the fact your company would disapprove of you doing it....even to the point they will fire you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

xmarine in Sanford, Florida

66 months ago

Hi, I think that you are working for the wrong company, they are not concerned with your well being not to mention your life. I feel for you as well as my self, that we have to subject our selves to this type or abuse to earn an honest living. On the other hand you might try to pay for the proper training so that you will then be able to carry your weapon. I agree with you all the way, I am a strong supporter of right to self defense,I transport prisoners all over the US and let me tell you that you do need to carry your weapon. good luck to you. Xmarine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Doc in Florissant, Missouri

66 months ago

Okay....you can't carry a firearm.
A shotgun is a firearm. Ooops, not a bright idea. But maybe that is exactly what you need- a Bright Idea!
Decades ago, when I was working in an inner-city slum area (and waiting for my armed license) I used to carry a marine (as in boating) flaregun. A little orange plastic single-shot 12 gauge "Flare Projector". You will truly brighten somebody's boring life. But be warned- it is a WARNING DEVICE and a PYROTECHNIC DEVICE! And for godsake don't drop it! That flare might go of in a direction you don't want! (Mine fell out of my pocket and fired! Luckily the flare went into a snowdrift- but the gun shot down the street- never seen again!I just kept on walking....)

If you choose this as an alternative:
- Do NOT fire it in the air for practice!
- Do NOT fire it at anything that will burn!
- Make sure you are ready to deal with the consequences should you have to use it. Most likely a Live Or Die, and you won't have time to think about it.
They are available at any boating store- but do not tell them why you are buying it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

azsecurityofficer in Queen Creek, Arizona

65 months ago

In my case, I took the Armed Guard Classes in both Calif and AZ and in both cases I achieved the top score in my class. In the AZ class, I score 95%, which was 10% better than a vet in my class was just returned from Iraq!
Yet the company i work for won't allow me to be armed until I take their in-house "Level2" class which is 20 hours. Since I have 2 days a week off and those 2 days may or may-not happen to fall on the same days as the Level2 classes, it will be a long time before the stars align enough for me to take that class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Buffalo

65 months ago

I feel that you do what you need to do in order to protect yourself. Ive worked security since I was 18 and have done it all special events malls hospitals you name it. The best was working for a company that was owned by former police officers. Sadly it went belly up and closed. What was nice about this company was that the contract we had to provide security and patrol services in and around the low income housing areas was the freedom.I wasn't armed but I was allowd to carry OC Spray and also a ASP Baton.I wore my vest in a exterior carrier. The bosses were fine with all of this they had faith in there employees and knew that we would be responsible. We were never hassled by the police and most of them liked having us around to prevent or even deal with some of the things that would tie up a patrol car for some time. I guess what it all comes down to is that even if your boss doesnt want you to carry anything( OC Baton Cuffs Etc..) its up to you cause your the one that is working when there at home in bed. Just be responsible but in the end its all about what makes you feel safe.

Lathrop One

60 months ago

While I agree and fully support your right to own and bear arms,here is the issue with your statement.

A. The company and the client decide if an account is to be armed
or unarmed. While a "threat potential" may be perceived by YOU
the Beat Officer who is out there every night,the management
is more concerned with liabilities. If you were to shoot someone
with that shotgun and NOT have proper credentials, all the logic
based reasoning in the world will NOT save you from criminal
charges.
B: Im speaking SOLELY for Illinois as i am not educated on other
state laws. If you are working an unarmed site and you have a weapon, you MUST have a "tan card",an FOID card, and other company credentials so as to "legally" carry that weapon.You simply cannot based upon your own assessment decide to arm yourself. Start investigating as to whether you can obtain a "permit" and then go from there. If the company and the client will not back or sponsor you, DO NOT CARRY THAT GUN. Just giving you a heads up.

Former Commander,Chicago Public Housing North

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ray in Bayonne, New Jersey

60 months ago

MineGuard in Maceo, Kentucky said: I work for a security company that takes care of numerous mine and quarry properties. My schedule often runs from 1800 to 0600 hours and im assigned to work areas that are several miles off the main roads. Often there is not a soul around and it is pitch black with no neighboring farm lights visible. Every once in a while i can hear vehicles crossing a highway bridge several miles off in the distance.
I am told i am not allowed to have any type of firearm in my posession because i am not what the company terms as "properly trained to use a firearm during routine work activities". But the security company says it would be too much of a liability for its employees to be trained to carry firearms. Im told if i or anyone else is caught in posession of a firearm on company properties we will be subject to immediate dismissal from work.
But still i choose to carry a twelve guage magnum shotgun with the plug removed to accomodate five shells. With the ample supply of chemicals needed to make methamphetamine being located on mine property i dont want to take the chance of getting killed by a paranoid drug cook. I personally feel the twelve guage shotgun packs more than enough fire power to effectively stop anyone who may be intent on causing me physical harm.
I am wondering how other security guards may feel about this issue. Do you carry firearms despite the fact your company would disapprove of you doing it....even to the point they will fire you?

GET YOURSELF TWO PITBULLS, AND A CROSS BOW THAT WILL EVEN OUT THE ODDS A LITTLE BIT

Bill Getz in Kansas City, Missouri

60 months ago

"Do you carry firearms despite the fact your company would disapprove of you doing it....even to the point they will fire you?"

Absolutely not. One thing to consider is that if you use that firearm, you will certainly be sued and possibly held personally liable for damages if you kill/injure even a lawbreaking meth addict because you were violating company policy and therefore being reckless.

By bringing that gun to work, you are showing a disturbing amount of contempt for your employer's and client's interests and displaying very poor judgement in that you don't seem to understand what you're supposed to be doing out there. Bottom line: either leave the gun at home or refuse that assignment in the future.

Don't be foolish. Keep your eyes open while you're on duty and if you see anything strange; maintain a safe distance and call for backup.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.