Security in Florida is a joke

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 277)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Leo in Auburndale, Florida

85 months ago

Go in-house people if you can and stay away from the WBC out fits (warm body companies) which just about covers all of them. You can't live off $9 an hour these days. Security jobs are for those in between jobs or retired. Until the industry really goes professional get a job at Walmart. You will get more respect there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

rawles in Reston, Virginia

85 months ago

i know that is right no respect as a rent a cop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Phill Comeaux

84 months ago

Why is it that in San Antonio most WBC companies disrespect you, put you in dangerous posts, tell you you don't need a gun (when you are qualified to have one) and try and tell you that you're professional? I f you ask me, We should form our own employee owner and operated companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phill Comeaux San Antonio, Texas

84 months ago

I have a lot of real experience in security and was a criminal deputy sheriff once. I will not work for no company that I find to be a wbc.Why can't the security examiners board do something about this? The boards are made up of past and present police, military,private investigators and ex-secret service people. This industry needs a serious face lift. The min salary should be no less than $15.00 per hour for 8 hours of work a day (120.00) times 5 days a week (600.00) times 4 a month (2400.00) times 12 months a year (28,800). We work too hard to be cheated. We risk our lives just like the police. Most of use wear everything the police wear but get treated like dirt! And I don't care if past companies who hired me don't like me. I work hard but will not allow them to take advantage of me. Some of these companies know my abilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Doc Floyd in Hialeah, Florida

82 months ago

I am a disabled Vet who works full time for the Post Office and moonlights as a P.I. and Armed Security Officer. The industry suffers because of the lack of training, low untimely pay, and greedy Managers who only care about making surplus funds off of the employees. I provided my own vest and weapons, located training for myself, kept high personal appearence standards, and still had some s==t head try to keep back my pay for weeks at a time. You get what you pay for, and when a workhorse comes along he is worked into the ground.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

s. in Norwalk, California

81 months ago

It all depends on the company you work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ROBERT MACHETTO in Parrish, Florida

81 months ago

Leo in Auburndale, Florida said: Go in-house people if you can and stay away from the WBC out fits (warm body companies) which just about covers all of them. You can't live off $9 an hour these days. Security jobs are for those in between jobs or retired. Until the industry really goes professional get a job at Walmart. You will get more respect there.

IN-HOUSE IS THE way to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James in Wentzville, Missouri

79 months ago

I am a S/O. Been one for 15yrs. I still have to start at beginners pay every time I start with a different company. I am considering signing up with seiu.org. They are attempting to unionize the industry to get better pay, benefits, training, etc.. They have contracts with the larger companies, such as Securitas, Wackenhut, etc..

seiu = Service Employees International Union

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Phill in Evansville, Indiana

79 months ago

I agree but you got to let every security officer know who you are fed up with. It allows them to stay away from those small time companies too. The joker security companies are spreading all over this country. The sucessful security companies are the ones that pay well. Also when ever possible, tell the client(s) when you switch companies where you will be. It keeps the client trust genuine with you. also learn all you can about the ever changing field of private security. Keep your skills sharp and keep your uniforms clean and pressed and keep your equipment looking and in good operating shape. Good security companies love that. And finally, keep a written record of the security good points and the bad points. This will keep you up-to-date with that security promises.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in Satellite Beach, Florida

79 months ago

Where can I take classes in Brevard County Florida? There are no listings in the phone book.
Thanks In Advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James in Labadie, Missouri

79 months ago

What kind of courses are you wanting? Basic Security Officer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James in Labadie, Missouri

79 months ago

Most Basic training is done in house. Go to a company like Securitas, or Wackenhut, apply for a job. When hired they train you in the basic skills needed for a Security Officer position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Phill in Evansville, Indiana

79 months ago

J, I don't know who told you I needed security training but you missed the topic. Go back and read my first replies and then respond to me...ok?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott From Buffalo NY

78 months ago

I've been in security for almost eight years now I have worked everything you can think of from special events to malls and hospitals. I'm writing this comment to question one thing. How can so many security companies in Buffalo offer there customers patrol services when they don't have one. I recently turned down a position with a local company here as a supervisor a "road patrol supervisor" the thing is that my pay was a joke and I had to patrol in my own car! I've never seen such a thing that a company will offer a customer the option of a patrol service and then make there employees use there own vehicles.And when I asked about the possibility of having a marked company vehicle I was pretty much laughed at. So to all those who are either looking into security or are looking at companies that offer "patrol services" beware the patrol car might be yours and the gas allowance is a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FYI in Palm Harbor, Florida

75 months ago

Ok, have read all the replies about wbc's -- Stay away from Security Forces Inc! Crazy as bedbugs! In-house security is not worth it in FL --- I will be moving to NC to go back to MFG!!! Good LUCK to all that stay in security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jerermiah in Orlando, Florida

72 months ago

J in Satellite Beach, Florida said: Where can I take classes in Brevard County Florida? There are no listings in the phone book.
Thanks In Advance.

Davis Security Institute in Cape Canaveral, Florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Clearwater, Florida

72 months ago

Darick in New Port Richey, Florida said: I work as a security officer in Tampa, Unarmed getting my G license soon. I have no issues with my company I work for.

what company do you work for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

montez in Miami Beach, Florida

72 months ago

hey i heard about a new security company named THE HELVETIANS PROTECTION GROUP on Miami beach that will be opening this fall they will have a 6 week boot camp for 5 days a week for 4 hrs a day. if you don't pass the 6 weeks you can not try until 5 months later. they will have a security division and bodyguard division also estate protection division. a Miami Beach cop told me about them he said that the owner is from CT and to send my resume and face picture to recruit305@gmail.com and yes you do have to send a face pic. the cop also said that this company is going to be the very best security company to work for in Miami.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Pompano Beach, Florida

71 months ago

I have a NJ security officers lic..do i need to take another course or can i just transfer to florida.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DM in Clearwater, Florida

71 months ago

yes you would need to take classes in florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anoynmous in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

Allied Barton Services In the N/East of the country are a joke as well. $10.00 to start, who can afford that type of pay with today's costs and respopnsibilties. The security industry is a joke and that is why it is treated as one. Just a picture for people to feel safe, working for 10.00 an hour who would give a crap what happens where u work, u will be filing chapter 11 in no time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Saint Augustine, Florida

71 months ago

I've been through these headaches, too. I have over 20 years experience as a Security Officer in St. Louis, Missouri, then my wife & I moved to her hometown of St. Augustine, Florida. I took all the Class D License training and paid my fees in Jacksonville. The security employers are generally in Jacksonville (where I was hired by Giddens Security), but I'm only part-time -- it's easy work, and only a short drive from home -- but I need full-time hours, with the higher cost-of-living in Florida and steeper rental prices. My wife makes better money than I do -- I need to find in-house, full-time guard employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Guard Brian. in Lakeland, Florida

71 months ago

You are complaining about $10 dollars per hour? Sir, that is the highest pay you are ever going to get in security. Try $5.75 per hour. I've been a guard for 8 years and would die for a job that pays that high.

Anoynmous in Chicago, Illinois said: Allied Barton Services In the N/East of the country are a joke as well. $10.00 to start, who can afford that type of pay with today's costs and respopnsibilties. The security industry is a joke and that is why it is treated as one. Just a picture for people to feel safe, working for 10.00 an hour who would give a crap what happens where u work, u will be filing chapter 11 in no time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bob D in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

71 months ago

Security "WAGE" if you can call it that, in Florida is a joke. How can you expect quality officers, when you pay crappy. Not to mention the people that take and teach the class are a joke...pay the money and you'll get your lic. with very little effort. The industry should be ashamed of themselves..Security-what a joke. After 20 years as a police professional I shake my head.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

Guard Brian. in Lakeland, Florida said: You are complaining about $10 dollars per hour? Sir, that is the highest pay you are ever going to get in security. Try $5.75 per hour. I've been a guard for 8 years and would die for a job that pays that high.

The Cost of Living Is Different, and people who cut grass or construct things make triple that, my point is that $10.00 with ADULT responsibilties house, kid, wife, etc. are a joke. Its a crap field that i cannot wait to get out of and will never get back into again. It could actually be looked at as one of the worst fields!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randy

70 months ago

That part-time guard job I was doing was seasonal -- once summer ended, it was over! Now I'm merely "on call" with even LESS hours per week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob D in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

70 months ago

It has to do with cost of living...what are you talking about? The cost of living is not that much different here than up north. The employers figue that if you don't take the job then there will be twenty people that will for pennies and no benefits. The security industry should be ashamed of itself for calling what some of the companies call SECURITY, and TRAINING..by a bunch of dopes that claim they are instructors. I was a police supervisor up norht and now I know why the industry is laughed at and called rent a cops...even that is an insult to cops!!!! There are a lot of good people but when I have to help a person who claims to have just taken their license class and can't even fill out the application, never mind speak english, how the hell did they pass the test??? What instructor taught them and how can they sign them off....come on the instructor should turn in their own license and do us all a favor and go sell hot dogs on the corner...loosers!! Thats what makes this industry and Florida a joke!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

Bob D in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: It has to do with cost of living...what are you talking about? The cost of living is not that much different here than up north. The employers figue that if you don't take the job then there will be twenty people that will for pennies and no benefits. The security industry should be ashamed of itself for calling what some of the companies call SECURITY, and TRAINING..by a bunch of dopes that claim they are instructors. I was a police supervisor up norht and now I know why the industry is laughed at and called rent a cops...even that is an insult to cops!!!! There are a lot of good people but when I have to help a person who claims to have just taken their license class and can't even fill out the application, never mind speak english, how the hell did they pass the test??? What instructor taught them and how can they sign them off....come on the instructor should turn in their own license and do us all a favor and go sell hot dogs on the corner...loosers!! Thats what makes this industry and Florida a joke!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck..

I Agree with the cost of living being the same, and selling hotdogs on the street wouldnt be that bad theirs more money in it. Referring to hiring with pennies comment, that is a hundred percent true as well, its just a waste of breath, and this will never go anywhere. get into any other field trust me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Damein Johnson in west palm beach, Florida

70 months ago

I kinda disagree with alot of the comments that are being said about private security companies. I've now been in security now for 4 years, and I have been employed by the best there is in florida. I now work for a company called Advance k-9 patrol, and I was told that when i applied that i will only make $10.00/hourly. I refused that offer and told them they need to look at my resume again. I served 4 years in united states Army, along with 3 years experiance with Vanguard Security, as a armed officer. They told me have a nice day, but they called me the next day and offered me $15.00/ hourly, and thats based off the fact that on my application, when they asked me how much do i expect, i said $15.00/hourly, Whats the worst they can say, no. And if they do move on. So really the security company will only do to you what you allow them to do to you. If your told that you will only make $8.00/hourly, stand up for yourself and dont accept that. Remember the security company will not make money without security officers. And as long as there people out there working for that low income, there will never be a change. Step up!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sarge in Nashville, Tennessee

70 months ago

I do not know what companies you guys are applying for, but I earn 15.00/hr up to 40 hours, and then 32.50/hr everything over. One thing you have to remember when dealing with Private Security, however, is that most, if not all of their business, is derived from Contracts. When they agree to a contract, they have to honor said contract to the "T". Which means, if they sell the service to the client at say 35.00/hr per officer, they have to specify how much they are going to pay each officer. So out of that 35.00/hr, they put in the contract that you are going to receive 10.00/hr base salary, and then say time and a half ( 15.00/hr ) overtime.

Again, it all depends on the company. It takes thorough research with your states' Private Protective Services Board to determine if the company is a Fly By Night operation (i.e. Legally/Properly licensed to operate, insured, bonded, etc). Fly By Night Operations damage every aspect of the Private Security Industry. They come in, most of the time they do not have proper credentials, insurance, or licenses, and take a job from a reputable, professional company, luring the potential client with cheap labor rates. They provide officers that lack proper training and/or credentials, and they end up getting killed or killing someone.

Keep your diligence.... and happy hunting!

~Sarge

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

G.L. in Jacksonville, Florida

70 months ago

Bob D in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: It has to do with cost of living...what are you talking about? The cost of living is not that much different here than up north. The employers figue that if you don't take the job then there will be twenty people that will for pennies and no benefits. The security industry should be ashamed of itself for calling what some of the companies call SECURITY, and TRAINING..by a bunch of dopes that claim they are instructors. I was a police supervisor up norht and now I know why the industry is laughed at and called rent a cops...even that is an insult to cops!!!! There are a lot of good people but when I have to help a person who claims to have just taken their license class and can't even fill out the application, never mind speak english, how the hell did they pass the test??? What instructor taught them and how can they sign them off....come on the instructor should turn in their own license and do us all a favor and go sell hot dogs on the corner...loosers!! Thats what makes this industry and Florida a joke!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck..

Cost of living not that much different here than up north? wow.

I moved to Jacksonville from Ohio and I can tell you that in Ohio, I was paying $275.00 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment. I moved here and am paying $635 per month for a one bedroom and thats fairly reasonable considering I live in a nice area of Jacksonville. Don't tell me the cost of living is about the same. it's much higher here. I thought just because there is no state income tax here, i would have a little more money every week left over from my check. wrong. what they dont take in state tax, they make up for in other ways and then some.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hopeless in West Palm Beach, Florida

70 months ago

Welcometoflorida15 in Flagler Beach, Florida said: I recently moved to Florida, and after numerous years of security and Corrections experience in NY & CT , I had to go to some rediculous 24 hour course (cost $95), then I was told I had to go to another 16 hr course within the 1st year(Cost $75), I had to drive 1 hr to Jacksonville and back, to put my papers in at the Div. of Agriculture (cost $87).....all to get offered $8.25 an hour and a 24 hour 11pm-7am schedule on Fri, Sat & Sun only.........There is definitely a problem here, Also the companies in Fla hire mainly old, fat or retired people...they are afraid to hire someone with experience, because they are afraid someone like me will take their job, so I applied to Publix in the Deli Department, they start with $9, after your first year you make $10, there are great benefits, and room for growth........Remember, you get what you pay for....I may keep my Security License to use for a part-time Security job during the holidays...but That is it!!! WELCOME TO FLORIDA!!!!!

I am sorry, that even you had experience the welcome in Florida, and not everyone who is retired is fat and lazy and slow. Women will get discreminated on 1st place, especially if your retired, a man can work without teeth, hair long, but a well groomed women retired, will not get any advancement, or become a supervisory position. Yes a horse, that is me, I am coming from Europe, an we know how to work, but I have seen so much s....t, I could vomit everyday for hours, and the unfairness, I have been waiting for pay over a year, all what is said, we dont owe you nothing. I have to try one more time, than I will have to take a lawyer. Yes, 8.25 or 9.50 is what the companies pay, some of them I am with, pay no sickpay, no yearly increase, even if there is a new contract coming up, and some Security get what ever they want, lies and unfairness is written in big letters. That apartment for 635.00 a month is cheap. Come lower to Fla.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hopeless in West Palm Beach, Florida

70 months ago

Doc Floyd in Hialeah, Florida said: I am a disabled Vet who works full time for the Post Office and moonlights as a P.I. and Armed Security Officer. The industry suffers because of the lack of training, low untimely pay, and greedy Managers who only care about making surplus funds off of the employees. I provided my own vest and weapons, located training for myself, kept high personal appearence standards, and still had some s==t head try to keep back my pay for weeks at a time. You get what you pay for, and when a workhorse comes along he is worked into the ground.

I am a woman and a G-Officer, the highest pay my company gave me was 12.00, when I finally was given a post for 15.00 the SecurityAdministrator, woman, did not want a woman and I had to leave, so I am working for lower pay. Discrimination, unfair, lies, not returning urgent calls is Nr. 1 in the Management Office.
If nobody would go to work at those Securities, than they would raise the hourly pay, but if one leaves, 5 standing in line, not that they are good, you get peanuts for peanuts. Instead of keeping the good Security Officer, and paying them a little more, no they do not care about anybody. If you drop dead, they do not even take the time to remove you, but put someone right on your place. All Securities should by law be required to pay a decent hourly wage. The job is not always save, you could get killed anytime, there is no insurance for your family. It stinks. I am trying to get out as soon as I find something new, but with this Republican Government, there are no more jobs, but coming up less, if people dont start to think, we had 8 very, very bad years, we will even get more if the wrong decision is made and the same Politition are going to stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

prefer not to in Tarpon Springs, Florida

70 months ago

I hate to bring politics into the mix, but unemployment will soon be at over 30% we all will soon need to just shutup and take whatever anyone offers. Go and apply at any company and look at the lobby full of people filling out apps. Don't beleive me do an informal survey of your freinds on how low they would be willing to go just to keep their jobs, or to undercut you to get yours. I hate to tell you but when I apply I put those cards on the table. I am honestly willing to work for less than minimum wage. Also don't be surprised to see salaried positions at around mid 20's a year where the work week will be closer to 60 hour mins. A toughj economy is better for employers, a larger hungrier pool to pull from. Welcome to America the lateset third world country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

prefer not to in Tarpon Springs, Florida

70 months ago

Hopeless in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I am a woman and a G-Officer, the highest pay my company gave me was 12.00, when I finally was given a post for 15.00 the SecurityAdministrator, woman, did not want a woman and I had to leave, so I am working for lower pay. Discrimination, unfair, lies, not returning urgent calls is Nr. 1 in the Management Office.
If nobody would go to work at those Securities, than they would raise the hourly pay, but if one leaves, 5 standing in line, not that they are good, you get peanuts for peanuts. Instead of keeping the good Security Officer, and paying them a little more, no they do not care about anybody. If you drop dead, they do not even take the time to remove you, but put someone right on your place. All Securities should by law be required to pay a decent hourly wage. The job is not always save, you could get killed anytime, there is no insurance for your family. It stinks. I am trying to get out as soon as I find something new, but with this Republican Government, there are no more jobs, but coming up less, if people dont start to think, we had 8 very, very bad years, we will even get more if the wrong decision is made and the same Politition are going to stay.

I beleive in the free market laws are like unions I hate unions they started out good for safety issues now there crippling america, good example the post office, that line of work is minimum wage. Wages should be dictated on the skillset required to do the job. If you can tell your boss to kiss it and be replaced with an equally or better qualified individual sometimes within the same day, you aren't worth much. Sorry I don't like it but its reality. I am for elimination of the minimum wage, for certain lines of work it is artificially high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

prefer not to in Tarpon Springs, Florida

70 months ago

You have the party blame wrong, Its the Democratic Congress and Senate along with the RINO's Republican in Name Only's that got us in this mess. True we will have 100% employment under Obama but it will be socialist/communist full employment. If thats what you want by all means vote and vote often. Mccain is closer to the old style Democrats in my opinion he's not my idea of a republican.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pito loco in Merrillville, Indiana

69 months ago

Anoynmous in Chicago, Illinois said: Allied Barton Services In the N/East of the country are a joke as well. $10.00 to start, who can afford that type of pay with today's costs and respopnsibilties. The security industry is a joke and that is why it is treated as one. Just a picture for people to feel safe, working for 10.00 an hour who would give a crap what happens where u work, u will be filing chapter 11 in no time.

Allied Barton is infested with complaints all over the internet, suits, civil, class acts and everything else......I currently work for them but not for long.....for anyone out there looking to get into a security gig please don't get involved with this "hijos de puta"....they are simply the best in taking advantage of you right of the start. Any other company will treat you better.NO benefits, no bonuses, filthy accommodations, a nightmare....don't say I didn't warn you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

montez in Miami Beach, Florida

69 months ago

hello an new security company is opening in Miami called The Helvetians Protection Group LLC.
They are looking for the best security officers in South Florida a cop on south beach told me about them
He told me that the owner is from Ct not Miami and t this company will be very good. They have a small
Web site at www.thehelvetiansgroup.com. America is changing also the world
So we have to change security if you want more pay then befor you get a job in security you go to a 3 week boot camp. I know what you are saying but to be a cop you have to no one is mad then. Look I lived in japan for 5 years they have it every day one and half hour before you start work you have to work out then you go to ur post this is real. Americans have become lazy so this company is trying to wake security up in America. Think about it if this copany does this and the copany see what the staff from the security company does then they will pay the security company more per hour for each security officer becouse they know that this company has the best officers that are not lazy. Think about it can happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark ex cop in miami in Miami Beach, Florida

69 months ago

hi I think this company is on the right track we do need to show persons and the world that we love are country. I just sent my paper work in to this company I am 52 years old I run every day for 6 mil I have been looking for a change in security in Florida and I feel that this company is going to work for me. Like we need a change in the White house for our country we need it in the security indr also we did get lazy and now is the time to wake up and show everyone that we work hard and look and feel good about our job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hopeless in West Palm Beach, Florida

69 months ago

Doc Floyd in Hialeah, Florida said: I am a disabled Vet who works full time for the Post Office and moonlights as a P.I. and Armed Security Officer. The industry suffers because of the lack of training, low untimely pay, and greedy Managers who only care about making surplus funds off of the employees. I provided my own vest and weapons, located training for myself, kept high personal appearence standards, and still had some s==t head try to keep back my pay for weeks at a time. You get what you pay for, and when a workhorse comes along he is worked into the ground.

Not only your found a s==t head in your company, there is always one in every Company, and it is not what you know, is who know and how your kiss b..t. I am waiting for my hardearning money already one and a half year, everytime I go into the office I was told, we requested the Adjustment, after this time, not even to find in the computer and who did tell me this stories the person is now sick and want show up anymore. So am trying to get my money, which will be without interest. If I do not get my money this year I will have to take a lawyer, who wants to work for a so unprofessional large Security Company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hopeless in West Palm Beach, Florida

69 months ago

Denise in Clearwater, Florida said: what company do you work for?

Yes, I would like to know, which company you are working with, this must be a great company or you put up with everything or else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Palm Bay, Florida

69 months ago

Welcometoflorida15 in Flagler Beach, Florida said: I recently moved to Florida, and after numerous years of security and Corrections experience in NY & CT , I had to go to some rediculous 24 hour course (cost $95), then I was told I had to go to another 16 hr course within the 1st year(Cost $75), I had to drive 1 hr to Jacksonville and back, to put my papers in at the Div. of Agriculture (cost $87).....all to get offered $8.25 an hour and a 24 hour 11pm-7am schedule on Fri, Sat & Sun only.........There is definitely a problem here, Also the companies in Fla hire mainly old, fat or retired people...they are afraid to hire someone with experience, because they are afraid someone like me will take their job, so I applied to Publix in the Deli Department, they start with $9, after your first year you make $10, there are great benefits, and room for growth........Remember, you get what you pay for....I may keep my Security License to use for a part-time Security job during the holidays...but That is it!!! WELCOME TO FLORIDA!!!!!

Hey I'm an old fat person living in Florida and I am yet to get a decent job even a warm body one, I got my license and have 12 years experience in other states, I landed one job only to be fired from the site one week later by the client contact, I believe for just being female, I just broke even for my cost of the license and the course, I quit the contractor because of payroll payment problems, i was hired at only $8.00 an hour, but only got paid for $7.00 an hour, and the Dept of Labor wage and hour won't do a thing to them. I applied for a job at another company, they sent me a letter saying I didn't qualify, how could I not qualify expect that Florida contractors have a discrimination issue. Soooooo.........Lucky you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tim in Miami Beach, Florida

69 months ago

I see after 7 days no one has said nothing about the note that did about security officers on Florida. This why you get 7.00 or 8.00 a hr so stop crying and get off ur ass and do what you should do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Saint Augustine, Florida

69 months ago

That's the problem in security -- discrimination is a way of life, and not just *currently* in the state of Florida. I recall in the mid-1980's, back in my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri, my then-employer California Plant Protection (which later merged with Pinkerton), had the Jaccards jewelry stores as a client. At one of the upscale shopping plazas there, Plaza Frontenac, there was a bias against assigning Black officers to the site because of the area's upper-crust WASP neighborhood. (Yes, the plaza was "snob" enough to have valet parking). They only wanted White guards assigned to the site! I worked the post a few times myself, so I wasn't in the discriminated demographic. At other malls in the area that had Jaccards stores, that color bias wasn't in effect, for THOSE malls were downscale and open for customers of all diversities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Palm Bay, Florida

69 months ago

tim in Miami Beach, Florida said: So every one wants more pay in florida. I say then get ur life together and stop crying. You say that you are the best in the company u are better then ur supervisor ok then take a test.

1. do you shine ur shoes everyday
2. do you clean ur uniform 3 times a week
3. do you cut ur heir every 3 weeks above the shoulders men only. women is ur heir in a bun every day.
4. do you wear ur uniform with pride
5. do you talk to persons with respect
6. did you miss a day of work because you did not want to go in.
7. will you stay if you are asked to because someone did not come in
8. are you on time for work every day that is 356 days a year.
9. do you go out of ur way for a client ever.
10. do you wear baggy uniform paints at work
11. did you ever sleep on the job
If you answered no to two then you should get 7.00 hr

IF you answered yes to all of them then you are good at what you do and need to go to www.thehelvetiansgroup.com
if not don't wast ur time

You couldn't possibly be talking about this, Look most people who like their job is going to pass this, you assume the reason why people are crying are guilty of violating your scrutinizing list of accusations, which is most likely why it is ignored, don't assume that these Security officers are slouches, just because that get paid less then they deserve, What is "uniform paints" are we also require to paint our uniforms?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

good luck in West Palm Beach, Florida

69 months ago

there are jobs which pay more, but even for 10.00 dollar you have to work a lot be present every minute, not staying around, sitting around, than there again, if you are an armed officer, you will get 13.00 or more an hour, but sometimes the conditions are bad, your collegs are nasty, so if you want to work for more money, you have to decide, what is more worse for your health being treated with respect and professionel or have a 13.00 dollar job and like to run away every minute. But to work for 7.00 or 8.00 dollar in florida you should not except, it will start with 9.00 dollar until 10.00 as a D-officer. Good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

good luck in West Palm Beach, Florida

69 months ago

Phill Comeaux San Antonio, Texas said: I have a lot of real experience in security and was a criminal deputy sheriff once. I will not work for no company that I find to be a wbc.Why can't the security examiners board do something about this? The boards are made up of past and present police, military,private investigators and ex-secret service people. This industry needs a serious face lift. The min salary should be no less than $15.00 per hour for 8 hours of work a day (120.00) times 5 days a week (600.00) times 4 a month (2400.00) times 12 months a year (28,800). We work too hard to be cheated. We risk our lives just like the police. Most of use wear everything the police wear but get treated like dirt! And I don't care if past companies who hired me don't like me. I work hard but will not allow them to take advantage of me. Some of these companies know my abilities.

I agree on your statement, but you have to realize, companies underbit, so they get the contract, than the account manager want to live very good to with little work to do. this is the biggest issue. the site will pay, but the pay will not reach your pocket, until you fight for it, fight for it one and a half year and still no check. it is sad, that we can not stay away from these companies, who use people, because everyone has to make a living, even 7.00 dollar for a retire is not enought, social security is not much, otherwise retire would not work believe me. This is right, we all complain, and still security companies can pick who they want, there should be a way, how about a union?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Lakeland, Florida

69 months ago

Anonymous in Chicago, Illinois said: The Cost of Living Is Different, and people who cut grass or construct things make triple that, my point is that $10.00 with ADULT responsibilties house, kid, wife, etc. are a joke. Its a crap field that i cannot wait to get out of and will never get back into again. It could actually be looked at as one of the worst fields!

No that is way over board. Security is by far, NOT one of the worst fields to work in. Security is a good way for some of the population to make extra money and supplemental income. The others like myself who only receive what I make in the form of a paycheck and no social security checks will have to work alot of hours. I can't imagine myself doing anything diffrent aside from being a guard though. I love the quiet nights that you can work at some posts. I like the easy work and not having to stack 200 cases per hour on a pallet in some warehouse. Everybody seems to have a problem with the pay in the industry. Yes, it is low BUT we would never be able to get a job if the industry paid $15 per hour. Everybody would be ex-cops and marines and they would discriminate against all over applications. I never served in the Armed forces or as a cop and Wackenhut flatly told me that my G license is worthless because I never served. ALL guard companies would be that way if they paid good. It's hard to find a job right now that pays minimum wage in this industry much less $15 per hour. Be thankful that we atleast have jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Lakeland, Florida

69 months ago

montez in Miami Beach, Florida said: hey i heard about a new security company named THE HELVETIANS PROTECTION GROUP on Miami beach that will be opening this fall they will have a 6 week boot camp for 5 days a week for 4 hrs a day. if you don't pass the 6 weeks you can not try until 5 months later. they will have a security division and bodyguard division also estate protection division. a Miami Beach cop told me about them he said that the owner is from CT and to send my resume and face picture to recruit305@gmail.com and yes you do have to send a face pic. the cop also said that this company is going to be the very best security company to work for in Miami.

I would never even look twice at a company that forces security guards to be trained in a police officer setting like that. Think about it, BOOT CAMP?! That's the most absurd requirement ever. I thought Guardsmark's lie dectector test was over the top and once I refused they wouldn't hire me. That's a far cry from boot camp. Good god.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Lakeland, Florida

69 months ago

Phill Comeaux San Antonio, Texas said: I have a lot of real experience in security and was a criminal deputy sheriff once. I will not work for no company that I find to be a wbc.Why can't the security examiners board do something about this? The boards are made up of past and present police, military,private investigators and ex-secret service people. This industry needs a serious face lift. The min salary should be no less than $15.00 per hour for 8 hours of work a day (120.00) times 5 days a week (600.00) times 4 a month (2400.00) times 12 months a year (28,800). We work too hard to be cheated. We risk our lives just like the police. Most of use wear everything the police wear but get treated like dirt! And I don't care if past companies who hired me don't like me. I work hard but will not allow them to take advantage of me. Some of these companies know my abilities.

You need to go back to law enforcement buddy. Security work is not the same and never will be. Cops shouldn't be guards, they expect too much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.