Security in Florida is a joke

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 277)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

SANDRA in Hialeah, Florida

27 months ago

indyeagle101 in Sebring, Florida said: Certified corrections officers do NOT have to take a 40 hour class. I am not sure about the G license.

So do we just take our certification to Dept. of Agriculture for the D license? For the G license you don't have to take the class as long as your weapons card is upto date. Also how much are the fees for the D license if your certified already? And do you have to pay for fingerprints?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tears44 in Lakeland, Florida

26 months ago

I agree...The pay is bad..And disrespectful..I went to a interview with C.I.S in Largo, I am a Former Marine/Correctional Officer..work for 2 states. Attended 2 Correctional Academys..Secret Clearence...Si am get there, dress in white shirt.tie blue business suit..I check in sitting in the labby, I see a fat CIS officer..about 70 pound over wieght, looking like a mess, a kid walks in to the Lobby with his uniform shirt out over hiss butt..I was not impressed what I saw..Than the just lost a Officer to a shoting in Tampa..a couple of months ago..they pay 10.50 an hour..to resk your life in a low income high crime apartment complex...So the HR lady calls it a high activity area...Yea RIGHT.........All I saw was idiots playing cops..and this cat died, making 10.50 an hour DEAD....Florida!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

An0nymous1 in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

pito loco in Merrillville, Indiana said: Allied Barton is infested with complaints all over the internet, suits, civil, class acts and everything else......I currently work for them but not for long.....for anyone out there looking to get into a security gig please don't get involved with this "hijos de puta"....they are simply the best in taking advantage of you right of the start. Any other company will treat you better.NO benefits, no bonuses, filthy accommodations, a nightmare....don't say I didn't warn you!

I presently work for AB and get treated quite nicely. We are given our uniforms, that we "rent" and the clients are amazingly nice. You have to make work fun otherwise yes, you will be in a sh** hole. I can't say I have the best boss, but he sincerely cares for the workers and has expressed concern on multiple occasions. Work is what you make it ... if you're having fun, then it will be fun, but if you're crabby and don't communicate with your clients about needs and wants, then you don't deserve to be there.

If you don't like your job ... FIND A NEW ONE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kumiya6 in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

YES I TOTALLY AGREED IN-HOUSE IS THE WAY TO GO AND MANY COMPANIES DO NOT RESPECT THEIR OFFFICER THAT PUT THEIR EXPERIENCE AND LIVES ON THE LINE FOR THEM .LET THEM TRY TO LIVE OFF OF WHAT THEY ARE PAYING US TO WORK AS A SECURITY OFFICER IT'S LIKE A BAD DREAM TIME TO WAKE UP!!!!!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT KEEPING THEIR POCKETS FULL AND OURS EMPTY!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kumiya6 in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

pito loco in Merrillville, Indiana said: Allied Barton is infested with complaints all over the internet, suits, civil, class acts and everything else......I currently work for them but not for long.....for anyone out there looking to get into a security gig please don't get involved with this "hijos de puta"....they are simply the best in taking advantage of you right of the start. Any other company will treat you better.NO benefits, no bonuses, filthy accommodations, a nightmare....don't say I didn't warn you!

yes i now what you mean i worked for them to, they are a joke take take not caring about their officers by the way i too am sueing them .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron Hazell in Daytona Beach, Florida

26 months ago

Check out our company... Delta Security and Protective Services at floridasecuritycompany.com were far from a WBC!

Hammer7802 in Fort Pierce, Florida

26 months ago

Until there is a Union formed for Security, Plan on getting worked to death and get paid crap. The last company I worked for A.P.I. paid Me 9 dollars an hour to work 8pm to 4 am in the Hood at a housing project where I was overseeing and enforcing regulations set by property managment at a ratio of Me 1 watching 1784 tenant + there friends and was threaten at least 2 a week that I was going to be shot and when I asked for more help I was told its not in there budget but they would give Me a promotion.... Yeah okay like putting stripes on my shirt is going to protect me and put food on the table!!! Work directly if you can I took an account from them after they droped the ball and got sh#t canned and now I;m making 13 an hour which is not great but its better than 9....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Aladrian Cheatum in San Francisco, California

26 months ago

yes, it is better than $9.00 sounds like you are for what you have, some don't even have that.

Terry H in London, United Kingdom

25 months ago

Leo in Auburndale, Florida said: Go in-house people if you can and stay away from the WBC out fits (warm body companies) which just about covers all of them. You can't live off $9 an hour these days. Security jobs are for those in between jobs or retired. Until the industry really goes professional get a job at Walmart. You will get more respect there.

Security Companies in England are exactly the same. Security Officers pay start at £6 sterling per hour in London which is ridiculous. Companies must realize that if they are going to promise professional Quality officers then they should pay accordingly. Officers will put the effort in if they feel they are appreciated by their employers. Lastly they have to rid the industry of people who contribute to the industry,s poor reputation.

Debbie in Miami Beach, Florida

24 months ago

Jonathan in Lakeland, Florida said: How about a spell check? That just disgust me, any who has that bad of spelling and grammar obviously is very unintelligent.

Sir, with all due respect, before you comment on another persons spelling, please check your own sentence structure.

Do not feel bad though, as I have found, throughout this forum, that many of the people who are posting are equally unable to put together a coherent sentence.

Hopefully, you "officers" never have to write an incident report.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

whatever in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Hi I am very interested in signing up, a union is very important with the Security Companies, but I do not think there is a contract with Securitas or Wackenhut, that must be misinformation. None of this Security Companies are giving any benefits unsless you have the 401K and pay in yourself with assistance. If you know something els I would be very interested in this.

I believe you are correct. I know that Securitas does not have any type of contract regarding unions. While I agree we need to have a union, unfortunately you have to sign up for one and when the companies learn there is talk of a union, they step in and put a stop to it. I learned this first hand in Arkansas, while employed with Securitas.

The second problem is that most of the guards (I use the word officer only for true PROFESSIONALS), are so afraid to lose their jobs, they won't do anything to "rock the boat". If we are unable to stand together on a daily basis, how will we ever stand together to unionize and / or make the necessary changes.

24 months ago

Tim in Brandon, Florida said: This is so true, I work in Tampa florida and I don't know if anyone is familiar with Fowler and 15th ave near the University Mall. I am working a contract there right now and I kinda hit on the topic earlier "everyone else has a gun except for me". Let me give you a little more of an insight. So for 9 an hour I enter this area everyday for 8 hours to try to enforce the rules and clean up. The other day I walked into a stabbing completely unarmed and had noway to protect my self. The week before that I was ran over by a car because a person wanted to run away. I was out for a week of work no compensation . They caught that kid and all they did was tell him you cant do that. Now here in florida that is suppose to be a felony "Aggravated battery on a LEO" and this 18 year old gets away with nothing. Now someone explain 1. How am i suppose to enforce rules when they are allowing kids to run me over. 2. For 9 dollars am i really suppose to handle stabbings. Seriously. My company tells me under no circumstances am I allowed to detain someone so in this stabbing i had to let the guy run away while the other one bleeds all over the stairs. How does this make me look. This is all a joke, I am not trained to handle those situations and im just not paid enough to be put in that danger with no defense.

Sorry its so long.

Be safe
Security Officer Tim.

Consider a stun gun. It is a non lethal weapon and while technically it is not allowed on D posts, you MUST put your own safety first and foremost. Do not use it to protect the property or anything on the property. If you can avoid being involved in a confrontation, do so, but if your in danger, use it. I would rather be judged by twelve, then buried by six.

Stay safe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Debbie in Miami Beach, Florida said: Consider a stun gun. It is a non lethal weapon and while technically it is not allowed on D posts, you MUST put your own safety first and foremost. Do not use it to protect the property or anything on the property. If you can avoid being involved in a confrontation, do so, but if your in danger, use it. I would rather be judged by twelve, then buried by six.

Stay safe.

My apologies... that should read if you're in danger.

24 months ago

Tim in Brandon, Florida said: Hey Reaper.

I don't know about Illinois but I know here in Fl it is a right to work state and gives an employer the right to fire any employee with no reason. We have to be careful because even though we might follow the law to the book the agency might not like it very much. We all have to be careful with this economy. Im just glad to hear im not the only one in this industry who feels this and wants a change.

You definitely are not alone in wanting to see change. I am a well trained, qualified, certified professional security officer and have become so disheartened with the "quality" of security in Florida, that I am about to give up totally. I could go on and on about what bothers me, but, at this point, no one wants to hear me on my soap box.

There will be a time and a place for that (as soon as I figure out where to begin a thread).

24 months ago

Another Disgruntled Security Officer in Chatham, Louisiana said: I just went through the class here in FL and was a bit pissed to see a very nice man who spoke and understood little english being given preferential treatment. He was given the actual test in Spanish and given the answers to the test during the review. I am a professional security officer with experience PLUS, and I can't get a job in Miami, but I'd bet he went to work the same day he got his license. Unless and until we stand up and say enough is enough in this field and in this country, nothing will change and we only have ourselves to blame. As for another post about security being a joke.... many are. When they sleep on the job, don't know anything about their posts or duties, talk on the cellphone all shift and show up looking like they slept in their uniforms, they hurt those of us who do take pride in ourselves and our careers. Good luck to all of us.

I had the same thing happen in my class with a man who spoke no English at all.

Unfortunately two problems we are up against are immigration and race. Hold on, let me finish...

The companies have to hire people who may not be "qualified", but who carry the license (two different classifications in my opinion), and there are tax incentives for hiring minorities, including resident aliens. I'm not saying all resident aliens do an inferior job, but when they are given preferential treatment, simply because of a tax benefit, why shouldn't the companies take advantage of the cheaper labor.

As for race, as a supervisor, I learned the hard way that far too many people play the race card. An example, we had a black woman who worked on our site. Not one day did she arrive on time, she spent most of her shift on the telephone, there were numerous violations of policy, and severe instances of insubordination. Thankfully she was on another shift, but her actions impacted my officers. (continued on next comment due to space)

24 months ago

Debbie in Miami Beach, Florida said: I had the same thing happen in my class with a man who spoke no English at all.

Unfortunately two problems we are up against are immigration and race. Hold on, let me finish...

The companies have to hire people who may not be "qualified", but who carry the license (two different classifications in my opinion), and there are tax incentives for hiring minorities, including resident aliens. I'm not saying all resident aliens do an inferior job, but when they are given preferential treatment, simply because of a tax benefit, why shouldn't the companies take advantage of the cheaper labor.

As for race, as a supervisor, I learned the hard way that far too many people play the race card. An example, we had a black woman who worked on our site. Not one day did she arrive on time, she spent most of her shift on the telephone, there were numerous violations of policy, and severe instances of insubordination. Thankfully she was on another shift, but her actions impacted my officers. (continued on next comment due to space)

I asked the site supervisor why he was allowing this behavior. He said that she had been written up previously and went to an attorney stating that she was being discriminated against because she was black. On several more occasions, they wrote her up for her behavior, and each time she threatened to contact an attorney and file suit against the company.

While the write ups were justified, they decided it was less trouble to allow her to do as she wanted than to take action against her.

This is not an isolated case. Most supervisors in Miami won't take action against a black employee because of the threats of a discrimination lawsuit.

I am not a racist, but if a person needs a disciplinary action, our hands should not be tied because of race, ethnic background, national origin or any other reason.

24 months ago

Another Disgruntled Security Officer in Chatham, Louisiana said: Sorry but if you are a security officer, it wouldn't be classified as aggravated battery on a LEO. You aren't a LEO and don't fall into that category.

The law in Florida has changed. If you are a LICENSED security officer and on duty, it IS classified as a felony. I was struck, in February 2012, while on duty, by a student while at a university, and the charge was "felony battery against a police officer". That is one thing the state has done for us.

24 months ago

mike in Miami, Florida said: Very true, I've been doing Security on and off again and the highest I got paid was $11.75 per hour and it's only part time. I recommend getting out of security and getting a better job, Security if Florida is just a joke and the pay is bad. Most jobs pay $9.00 per hour and with rent costing at least 700 a month it's just a joke to try to live off the money they pay you.

I had a Security Guard resume and honestly I just torn it up, Security Guard Resumes are a joke since most people think you just sit in one spot and do nothing so it's not even worth the risk. Honestly you'll get a Security job looking and acting stupid rather than acting professional.

It's just a field for older people who are retired or those looking to make a couple extra bucks between jobs. Unemployment pays around 280 a week and Security pays around that after taxes as well...

It's just a joke of a field brothers and sisters, get out while you can.

Ahhhh, it sounds like you were at the Port. I believe I worked for the same company there.

24 months ago

MIKE CALVINI in Miami Beach, Florida said: WE HAVE JOB OPENINGS IN SOUTH FLORIDA ONLY. ARE YOU THE BEST THEN SEND US YOUR PAPER WORK AND SHOW US. ALL I READ IS A LOT OF PERSONS TALKING BAD ABOUT COMPANIES AND OTHER PERSONS AND SAYING THAT THEY CAN DO THE JOB BETTER THEN THEIR SUPERVISOR IF SO SEND ME YOUR PAPER WORK.

IF YOU ARE TIRED OF THE WAY THAT YOUR BOSS LOOKS DOWN AT YOU THEN GO TO

WWW.CALVINIDEFENSE.INFO WE ARE REAL AND WE WON'T BULL S@#T YOU EVER

I just followed the link to your site, and there was little information. It also asked for head and body photo's. I realize I may not be what you are looking for as a body guard, but I am concerned if I don't fit into your image, then my qualifications won't mean a thing. I look forward to your response, and will continue to research your company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Ron Hazell in Daytona Beach, Florida said: Check out our company... Delta Security and Protective Services at floridasecuritycompany.com were far from a WBC!

I just checked out your site. I liked what I saw. However I do have a question. It appears you may be geared toward previous military or law enforcement. I don't have either, but am extremely well trained in the security field. I have been considering moving further north, so Daytona Beach wouldn't be a problem. I will be in contact further through your site.
I look forward to learning more about your company.

Manny Coimbre in Crystal River, Florida

22 months ago

Hello,

My name is Manny and I am a director for the United Security Professionals of America. We are a Labor Union that represents security officers throughout the United States. We are based in Crystal River, Florida and are looking for new potential locals. We fight for your rights as an employee and make big strides to make sure you are treated with respect. We have the best representation via our lawyers that have practiced labor law for 21+ years. If you or someone you know is interested in organizing a union, please email me at manuelcoimbre@gmail.com. This is my personal email address. We here at USPA would be more than happy to answer any of your questions in regards to organizing a union.

Thanks and take care!

Manny Coimbre

22 months ago

Hammer7802 in Fort Pierce, Florida said: Until there is a Union formed for Security, Plan on getting worked to death and get paid crap. The last company I worked for A.P.I. paid Me 9 dollars an hour to work 8pm to 4 am in the Hood at a housing project where I was overseeing and enforcing regulations set by property managment at a ratio of Me 1 watching 1784 tenant + there friends and was threaten at least 2 a week that I was going to be shot and when I asked for more help I was told its not in there budget but they would give Me a promotion.... Yeah okay like putting stripes on my shirt is going to protect me and put food on the table!!! Work directly if you can I took an account from them after they droped the ball and got sh#t canned and now I;m making 13 an hour which is not great but its better than 9....

Sounds like you need to unionize. I am here to help. Email me at manuelcoimbre@gmail.com for information about the United Security Professionals of America, International Union. I am a director for USPA and we are willing to help Security Officers who are looking to unionize. We have lawyers with 21+ years with labor law experience. If you are interested, email me.

Thanks,

Manny Coimbre

22 months ago

Debbie in Miami Beach, Florida said: I believe you are correct. I know that Securitas does not have any type of contract regarding unions. While I agree we need to have a union, unfortunately you have to sign up for one and when the companies learn there is talk of a union, they step in and put a stop to it. I learned this first hand in Arkansas, while employed with Securitas.

The second problem is that most of the guards (I use the word officer only for true PROFESSIONALS), are so afraid to lose their jobs, they won't do anything to "rock the boat". If we are unable to stand together on a daily basis, how will we ever stand together to unionize and / or make the necessary changes.

Debbie,

My name is Manny Coimbre. I am director for the United Security Professionals of America, International Union (USPA). I also work at the Crystal River Nuclear Power Plant (CR-3) who is currently contracted by Securitas. Recently, we have negotiated and finalized a Collective Bargaining Agreement with Securitas that will run for 3 years. With our lawyers, we fought the company in regards to wages and benefits and came out on top. We want to do the same for other security officers in other locations. If you are looking to organize, please email me at manuelcoimbre@gmail.com. We are more than willing to help. We want to make sure that you are treated fairly and with respect. Hope to hear from you!

Thanks,

Manny Coimbre

22 months ago

If you are interested in Unionizing, look up United Security Professionals of America on Facebook. Like us and leave us a message if you are interested in organizing a new local! We are here to help. UNIITED WE FIGHT, DIVIDED WE BEG!

Nick P. in Cape Coral, Florida

22 months ago

I have recently completed the training and certification for a Class D license and will be appling for the license on 10/15/2012 in Punta Gorda, FL.
I guess you would consider me a senior but in good shape and looking for a good respectable security company to apply for a position. Does anyone know of a GOOD company to work for?

Ron Hazell in Daytona Beach, Florida

22 months ago

Delta Security Protective Services is a locally owned and operated security company. We have the heart and the passion that has been lacking in the security industry. It is obvious that the larger WBC are at a race for the bottom and have no issues paying the officers less.

We at Delta Security Protective Services, maintain the highest standards...

visit us today... www.floridasecuritycompany.com

Robert Ingram in Miami, Florida

21 months ago

SPOOK in MIAMI, Florida said: I should count myself lucky I found a part time security job at $25 an hour over the holidays to supplement my regular security job at $12 :-)

Luck you, spread the wealth and knowledge.

21 months ago

Debbie in Miami Beach, Florida said: I just followed the link to your site, and there was little information. It also asked for head and body photo's. I realize I may not be what you are looking for as a body guard, but I am concerned if I don't fit into your image, then my qualifications won't mean a thing. I look forward to your response, and will continue to research your company.

Hey Debbie,
I was feeling and thinking the same. I was going to send my info, but changed my mind.

21 months ago

Hello, my name is Robert, located in Miami. I'm new to the forum. I've worked in professional security for some time now. I have my D,G,CC, and MB license (and just applied for my DI license). I'm also a Certified ASP Tactical Handcuff/Baton Instructor, a Safari-Land OC/Pepper Spray instructor, American Heart Association BLS (CPR/First Aid/AED) instructor, a Surety Agent, and a NRA certified instructor (multi-disciplined). I also have a BA in Psych and 127 credits towards my BS degree in Criminal Justice.

I practically read every post on this forum and I must stay the title of the thread is true, today. Hopefully it changes for the better. It's becoming increasing difficult for me to accept a job paying less than $15/hr, but I have. Every time I had extra money, I took a course, a training, or a workshop to increase my earning potential in the private security industry. I mean, I'm not striving to be a millionaire. From working at high profile gentlemen clubs ($11/hr), to witnessing small private security companies fighting and arguing about the contract, on the client's site, to filling out employment applications, only to be offered $10.50/hr for an armed (to the teeth) security officer position (my own equipment mind you), to working in crime riddened and infested, drug infested communities with poorly trained and poorly/unequipped guards (not officers).

At this point in time, I teach concealed weapons course, basic/ ASP tactical baton/handcuff course, bailbonds, cpr/first aid/aed course, and oc/pepper spray course as well to supplement my income. I am looking for a trainer, supervisory, or managerial position, but it seems you have to know someone in certain companies. I thought about opening up my own school, but I need to finances to make that happen. So I try to keep moving forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Regarding higher paying security officer jobs in MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, your best bet is to apply a security companies that have county contract (Water/Sewer, government/county buildings, etc). MIAMI-DADE county contract their work with 6 security companies, some of them are nation wide security companies. They are:

Fieck Security (APPLY IN PERSON)
8869 SW 131st Street
Miami, FL 33176

Delad Security (APPLY IN PERSON)
6073 NW 167st Street #C10
Miami Lakes, FL 33015

Allied Barton (APPLY ONLINE)
7300 NW 19th Street, #401
Miami, Florida 33176

Weiser Security (APPLY BY FAX/MAIL)
15495 Eagle Nest LN # 235
Miami, FL 33014

Security Alliance Group (APPLY IN PERSON)
8323 NW 12th Street # 218
Miami, Florida 33126

GS4 (formally Wackenhut Security) (APPLY ONLINE)
5820 Blue Lagoon Dr
Miami, FL 33126

They go by levels. Level 1 is a unarmed D licensed security officer. Level 2 and 3 are armed G licensed security officers. Level 3 s/o's generally entail having D/G licenses including military/law enforcement background, college education/degree. The upper level positions are trickier to obtain because most often times you have to know someone to get in. I've been told that I'm over qualified in many occasions due to my credentials, but in my mind and my intentions are truly getting a full time job that suits my credentials. So in many occasions I have to dummy down my resume, smh.

21 months ago

If you are looking to organize a union, The United Security Professionals of America, International Union is here to help! USPA is a labor organization helping security officers throughout the United States have peace of mind when it comes to the work place. We have experienced attorneys readily available for contract negotiations, arbitration hearings, and grievances. We want to help as much as we possibly can. Please call us if you are interested. You can email our Recording Secretary at mannycoimbre@uspaiu.com. We hope to hear from you. UNITED WE FIGHT, DIVIDED WE BEG!

20 months ago

Please contact USPA if you are interested in Unionizing or considering switching to a different International Union. Our website is www.uspaiu.com or you can go to the following link. You can fill out the appropriate information and we will be sure to contact you as soon as possible. www.uspaiu.com/contact.html

Holly in Navarre, Florida

19 months ago

If anyone knows of any decent security training companies in the Pensacola - Destin area, please let me know. All I can seem to find is Orlando, Tampa, Miami, etc. I'm at sumthinwikid @ yahoo.com

Thanks

Tacky in Cranbury, New Jersey

16 months ago

Linda in Palm Bay, Florida said: You couldn't possibly be talking about this, Look most people who like their job is going to pass this, you assume the reason why people are crying are guilty of violating your scrutinizing list of accusations, which is most likely why it is ignored, don't assume that these Security officers are slouches, just because that get paid less then they deserve, What is "uniform paints" are we also require to paint our uniforms?

Your right about the look and attitude of an Officer, but a word of advice, right better, do not use u instead of you, ect, ect. Nothing looks as bad then a poor written report. You want to advance in your career in any profession?

Tacky in Cranbury, New Jersey

16 months ago

I am sure there is some good security companies out there in Fla, but none finer then this outfit.

Check this company out>

www.cisworldservices.org/

This company is nothing but Tactical.

Good day.

Annonymous in Tampa, Florida

15 months ago

James in Labadie, Missouri said: Most Basic training is done in house. Go to a company like Securitas, or Wackenhut, apply for a job. When hired they train you in the basic skills needed for a Security Officer position.
I know this is an OLD post but from experience the company Securitas is a JOKE in Florida. I have had more education than even the Manager and just wanted to keep my job and they let me go for DOING my job! When you have an entire staff of people who can not spell, write reports correctly or dress appropriately it is embarrassing to those that try to take pride in what they do and try to raise the standards of the company they represent in order to make more money. The entire Security field in the US is a JOKE! The employees are making 9$ an hour while the company is making 30$ an hour per person.

Annonymous in Tampa, Florida

15 months ago

Tacky in Cranbury, New Jersey said: I am sure there is some good security companies out there in Fla, but none finer then this outfit.

Check this company out>

www.cisworldservices.org/

This company is nothing but Tactical.

Good day.

I hate to burst your bubble about CIS. They are a joke in Florida and known to be trouble makers with the Law. Even some of their Security Officers have been arrested! I know this from experience. I have a friend who is a Master Patrol Officer for TPD and he tells me these ridiculous stories about CIS and how they 'believe' they are LEO and can do LEO jobs. NO, Security law is completely different. They may look cool, that is about it!

Rick in Glendale, Arizona

14 months ago

Hopeless in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I am a woman and a G-Officer, the highest pay my company gave me was 12.00, when I finally was given a post for 15.00 the SecurityAdministrator, woman, did not want a woman and I had to leave, so I am working for lower pay. Discrimination, unfair, lies, not returning urgent calls is Nr. 1 in the Management Office.
If nobody would go to work at those Securities, than they would raise the hourly pay, but if one leaves, 5 standing in line, not that they are good, you get peanuts for peanuts. Instead of keeping the good Security Officer, and paying them a little more, no they do not care about anybody. If you drop dead, they do not even take the time to remove you, but put someone right on your place. All Securities should by law be required to pay a decent hourly wage. The job is not always save, you could get killed anytime, there is no insurance for your family. It stinks. I am trying to get out as soon as I find something new, but with this Republican Government , there are no more jobs, but coming up less, if people dont start to think, we had 8 very, very bad years, we will even get more if the wrong decision is made and the same Politition are going to stay.

Republican Government!!! I can't believe someone would blame the Republicans for a downturn in jobs!! A Democrat President, a Democrat Senate and a Democrat leaning Supreme Court and you blame the Republicans!!!

pinoy1436@gmail.com in Navarre, Florida

14 months ago

Sarge in Nashville, Tennessee said: I do not know what companies you guys are applying for, but I earn 15.00/ hr up to 40 hours, and then 32.50/hr everything over. One thing you have to remember when dealing with Private Security, however, is that most, if not all of their business , is derived from Contracts . When they agree to a contract , they have to honor said contract to the "T". Which means, if they sell the service to the client at say 35.00/hr per officer, they have to specify how much they are going to pay each officer. So out of that 35.00/hr, they put in the contract that you are going to receive 10.00/hr base salary, and then say time and a half ( 15.00/hr ) overtime.

Again, it all depends on the company. It takes thorough research with your states' Private Protective Services Board to determine if the company is a Fly By Night operation (i.e. Legally/Properly licensed to operate, insured, bonded, etc). Fly By Night Operations damage every aspect of the Private Security Industry. They come in, most of the time they do not have proper credentials, insurance , or licenses, and take a job from a reputable, professional company, luring the potential client with cheap labor rates. They provide officers that lack proper training and/or credentials, and they end up getting killed or killing someone.

Keep your diligence.... and happy hunting!

~Sarge

what company do u work for to get 15 a hour

8th man in Conway, South Carolina

11 months ago

An0nymous1 in Chicago, Illinois said: I presently work for AB and get treated quite nicely. We are given our uniforms, that we "rent" and the clients are amazingly nice. You have to make work fun otherwise yes, you will be in a sh** hole. I can't say I have the best boss, but he sincerely cares for the workers and has expressed concern on multiple occasions. Work is what you make it ... if you're having fun, then it will be fun, but if you're crabby and don't communicate with your clients about needs and wants, then you don't deserve to be there.

If you don't like your job ... FIND A NEW ONE!

Problem is the mamangement is the ones that is in control. You're not. You have no say in any matter. What ever the Guard Bossor wants. The guard Bossor gets.

11 months ago

Guard Brian. in Lakeland, Florida said: You are complaining about $10 dollars per hour? Sir, that is the highest pay you are ever going to get in security. Try $5.75 per hour. I've been a guard for 8 years and would die for a job that pays that high.

The pay doesn't bother me. It's the managment practice that bothers me. And I give the mangement practrice an F - - -. YES it's that bad.

11 months ago

ROBERT MACHETTO in Parrish, Florida said: IN-HOUSE IS THE way to go.

YEAH right. And then some time later, the upper security mangement decides to replace, the in-house with contract secuirty. Back to square one.

11 months ago

Rick in Glendale, Arizona said: Republican Government!!! I can't believe someone would blame the Republicans for a downturn in jobs!! A Democrat President, a Democrat Senate and a Democrat leaning Supreme Court and you blame the Republicans!!!

Problem is the republicans are just like the democrates. There is conservatives, and then there is psuedo conservatives. They are almost liberals.

11 months ago

Debbie in Miami Beach, Florida said: I believe you are correct. I know that Securitas does not have any type of contract regarding unions. While I agree we need to have a union, unfortunately you have to sign up for one and when the companies learn there is talk of a union, they step in and put a stop to it. I learned this first hand in Arkansas, while employed with Securitas.

I do agree with you, about the mangament. But unions will only make matters worse. Union bosses are there for only purpose. And that's to get your union due money. Nothing elese.

11 months ago

Debbie in Miami Beach, Florida said: I asked the site supervisor why he was allowing this behavior. He said that she had been written up previously and went to an attorney stating that she was being discriminated against because she was black. On several more occasions, they wrote her up for her behavior, and each time she threatened to contact an attorney and file suit against the company.

While the write ups were justified, they decided it was less trouble to allow her to do as she wanted than to take action against her.

This is not an isolated case. Most supervisors in Miami won't take action against a black employee because of the threats of a discrimination lawsuit.

I am not a racist, but if a person needs a disciplinary action, our hands should not be tied because of race, ethnic background, national origin or any other reason.

If something gets stolen at the account, on her watch, through her post ,due to she is to busy chit chating on the phone, I like to see what her answer is, on what happened,once mangament has discovered, something is missing, due to her neglagance. She'll find the race card won't work, up to a full house. As in full house of thieves. Her and many others that play that race card, like it is some kind of a wild card, will find out, that there are no wild cards in the many emoployers deck. I have seen this non-sense myself, in my experience. It is nothing more than a cat and mouse game, played by childish inmature adults.

11 months ago

jack0466 in Lady Lake, Florida said: In reading probably 20 different posts on this site I do not wonder why Security Officers in Florida have a bad name. I see all of the complaining about different companies and how terrible their jobs are. I know that working in the security field is not the most glamorous job but it is a job. Be happy you have one, I was unemployed for seven months in 2009, and had my D license for five months before I was able to find a security job. If you do not like the work then find another line of work. One last thing, I would hope that your grammar and punctuation is better on your daily reports than what I see in this forum. Most of what I read looks like my 13 year old wrote it.

"OH BE HAPPY YOU HAVE ONE." In that case I'll take jail instead. I can't belive this post.

11 months ago

whatever in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Sorry, this is the world around you and I surely hope it will get better, it is with every Company the same, there is no difference, you being used and if you are sick for longer even beeing injured on the job and fail for Compensation , you are going to be fired, for sure, there is not commitments from the Company to you but you shall give commitment to them and do all the right things, but you are only a number. I worked for a company, the best Account Manager around, left after 25 years and was brought back, than needed an operation on his back, one, two, the company after 3 month absence terminated him. But the once in the Office, young, inexperienced, losing sites more, and more, the good onces left. But since this is a very large Company, the Mainoffice up north, they dont even know about it.
Well than is time to leave anyhow, but there are no others around, the are all from the same school. Good Luck.

Same school? HHHHMMMMM. Moscow state Universtay, prior to 1991.

Hammer772 in Fort Pierce, Florida

11 months ago

Well It finally paid off, Working the Hood for years by Myself making $9.25hr and the Owners never comming out to check on you to see if your alive or not got in with a private Co starting pay $14.50 an hour with benefits and 401k they pay for all your licences renewals and uniform so hang in there and go private it seems to be the only way to go in Security in Florida... and FYI theres guys there that been there for years making 18 - 20 an hour!!!

Retired in Hallandale, Florida

11 months ago

For anyone considering working for security companies in south Florida, just know what you're getting into. $10.00 an hour (no matter what the level of experience) is the NORM. Don't count on raises or promotional opportunities. In order to get a job, you have to get your D license, and that usually requires D classes ($$$$) in addition to the license filing fees ($$$$). A company will also tell you that you have to buy your own uniform ($$$$), no matter if its a company uniform or a suit.
If you're assigned to a condo or residential atmosphere, the #1 priority is not security, but don't rock the boat so that the company's contract will be re-newed. If you're in a condo or residential community, you'll find that you spend your day trying to figure out if you're answerable to the residents, the condo board, the property manager or the company you work for.
Working directly for a property (whether commercial or residential) appears to be the way to go.

11 months ago

Navy Woman/Security Officer said: I proudly, honorably served my country, US NAVY, for eight years. I received great respect in the Military!! I worked very hard, as an Armed Security Officer, as a Woman Security officer, in Florida, and I was cursed at, and insulted by customers, who said a Woman Security Officer, is not strong enough to do this job!! I received insults, discrimination, from some of my fellow male Securiy Officer's! Immediately, I reported this unnecessary, cruel, ridiculous, discrimination, based, soley, on my being a Female Securiy Officer! They said I was taking a job away from Males!! But, My company, strongly, punished, those co-workers. I am an intelligent, hard working, Christian mother, Navy Veteran. I have high morals, and I have worked very hard, and spent, much money and much time, earning my "D" and MY "G" licenses. I speak up, and I let the customers and the co-workers, know that they are wrong, I can do this job, and I am very proud of myself!! The low pay, and the discrimation, is very difficult,for me, as a Security Officer! I need to put food on the table and put a roof over my two precious young sons!! I ignore these ignorant, discrimating people!! I have to stay strong, for my family!! Jacksonville, Florida Oct.15, 2011

Read Duetironimy 22:5. I mean, it's wrong to be mistreated, however, I see some inconistency here.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.