Why most security companies pay the same for skilled and unskilled security officers?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 150)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

David Wolcott in Port Orchard, Washington

87 months ago

Phill Comeaux San Antonio, Texas said: Security companies shouldn't pay anybody the same salary experience security officers get for experience. I've worked with such companies and they want you to train these unskilled people in what took you years to master in the field, they (the security companies)want you to teach these unskilled, no classroom people in a matter of a few hours.Therefore producing watered down security wanna bees. Then the security companies pay you the same pay as the wanna bees. This is sick!
I've got a security background and I'm not just talking out in the field but hours of classroom training and hours of firearms training to boot.

Phil,
Not all companies pay the same for skilled and unskilled Security Officers. I worked for one company which is an unarmed Security Company for %10.00 an hour. Then I switched companies to an armed Security company which pays $18.10 an hour. So know what you're talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

David Wolcott in Port Orchard, Washington

87 months ago

Phil sorry I missed read your post. Please disregard my reply.

Sorry!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

D-Man in Waterbury, Vermont

86 months ago

You are so right! I've got 20 Plus years in the Military and 9 in Civilian police and Security and an associates degree in Criminal Justice. I started at just what everyone else in security makes, guys just walking in off the street with no experience, high school grads and old fart retiree farmers (yes Farmers). Not only that but I am expected to train all these idiots and to add insult to injury, I have to wear the same uniform as these screw-ups. It MESSED UP. To make matters worse, I applied to join the county sheriffs department, I went to take the test with another apploicant from the same department, we got to know each other and he told me this was his third time trying to pass the exam. He also told me he messed up when he was a teen ager and got arrested for selling drugs. I passed the test first try and so did he and would you believe it, they hired him over me! I was floored! A 20 year Army Veteran MP Sgt. and a three time loser beat me out! This was in Vermont. DO NOT COME HERE! It's gotta be the worst state in the nation! If you are here already GET OUT! If the taxes won't kill you, the winters or liberals will! I can say this is coming from a native born Vermonter!! Also, do not believe the pay scale on this thing, a security officer, if you are LUCKY enough to find and get a job in that field here pays 22 to 24,000 a year. Take my advice, If you are in security STAY AWAY FROM THIS STATE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ibrahim in Vega Baja, Puerto Rico

83 months ago

iam looking for a good company armed security with good payment a benefits in puerto rico i work armed security with g4s wackenhut at 8$ hours its not good if somebody cant tell me a good armed security company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Phill Comeaux in San Antonio, Texas

83 months ago

How many hours do you work and do you have any benefits? respond.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

D-Man in Waterbury, Vermont said: You are so right! I've got 20 Plus years in the Military and 9 in Civilian police and Security and an associates degree in Criminal Justice. I started at just what everyone else in security makes, guys just walking in off the street with no experience, high school grads and old fart retiree farmers (yes Farmers). Not only that but I am expected to train all these idiots and to add insult to injury, I have to wear the same uniform as these screw-ups. It MESSED UP. To make matters worse, I applied to join the county sheriffs department, I went to take the test with another apploicant from the same department, we got to know each other and he told me this was his third time trying to pass the exam. He also told me he messed up when he was a teen ager and got arrested for selling drugs. I passed the test first try and so did he and would you believe it, they hired him over me! I was floored! A 20 year Army Veteran MP Sgt. and a three time loser beat me out! This was in Vermont. DO NOT COME HERE! It's gotta be the worst state in the nation! If you are here already GET OUT! If the taxes won't kill you, the winters or liberals will! I can say this is coming from a native born Vermonter!! Also, do not believe the pay scale on this thing, a security officer, if you are LUCKY enough to find and get a job in that field here pays 22 to 24,000 a year. Take my advice, If you are in security STAY AWAY FROM THIS STATE!!!

I believe you but it's not the democrats who done this it's the republicans. And it's not just Vermount, it will be soon all over the country. The republicans want to turn American into a thrid world country. Look at how they allowed the illegal aliens (not called undocumented workers) access to enter into this country to work cheap. And you guessed it, they are the ones who keep the pay low and provide the companies with plenty of very low wage workers. I have experience to let you and all who read this response

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

They (the republicans) are turning the country into a third world country with only them in control. Lets face the facts. unions are the way to go. It keeps the companies from changing the game rules to only benefit them.Some of the republicans don't want the illegals to gain american status and most of the democrats want them here as well because they believe the illegals have a right to come here illegally. So what do we americans do? I ask you men and women to form a security company that is ran by the workers themselves and you push out the greedy companies. We all know that money is what everybody need. Let's make sure that everybody get a fair share of the profits like the unions do. As for as the presidency, we need to find a canidate who will enforce the law pertaining to illegal aliens and who can also really put hardest working americans first. When he gets in office, we protect him with our lives. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the part where the Men and Women are seperated from the boys and girls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Going into business for yourself is not bad but we need to know that the little people need to make money so that they can buy from people who have a business of there own. This is what American was to stand for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin T.Adams in Alpharetta, Georgia

83 months ago

Security officers will never get paid what their experience is worth.I say that cause the companies want to give the experience and dedicated hard working officer crumbs and keep the most of the money for themselves.Also the company would rather see a high turnover than retain good officers for higher pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Yes that is true and it go's to say the same about all else that is wrong. This only means that people like us must change it(and we can and we wil) so that it will become a reality for us all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Yea, all I can say now is that we start somehow getting involved with companies that we know we can deliver true professional work by signing contracts. This will ensure that we get paid what we're really worth to start. But there are many other things we must do such as improving our skills to a point that they will only want us and will be willing to sign or work on a contractual bases.We must also get with the regulations board of private security examiners to find a way to change for the better. The Board Of Private Security Examiners are made up of former,current police officers,detectives, military and private body-guards. We must bring a strong case to them in order to get something done in our case. In other words, we must bring strong evidence that will supports the changes we are asking the examinations board to change. And at the same time, we must be involved in the examinaner board elections and put people who will act in our behalf. See I've been in the field for over 22 years and I think I will not return to the field because I'm tired of them using me and my skills and pay me rather cheaply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

82 months ago

I moved to the sunshine state to make my hardworking NH life easy, not fancy, just comfortable. Since I experienced the FL lifestyle I found that everyone is out to rob you. I'm a hardworking honest guy who deserves honest pay for honest work helping honest people do the same. My only alternative is become ARMED! NEVER THOUGHT HUNTING SKILLS, MARKSMANSHIP, and COMMONSENSE. Barley cover car insurance...ect..ect...ect.

Bob in Richmond, Virginia

82 months ago

Phill Comeaux San Antonio, Texas said: Security companies shouldn't pay anybody the same salary experience security officers get for experience. I've worked with such companies and they want you to train these unskilled people in what took you years to master in the field, they (the security companies)want you to teach these unskilled, no classroom people in a matter of a few hours.Therefore producing watered down security wanna bees. Then the security companies pay you the same pay as the wanna bees. This is sick!
I've got a security background and I'm not just talking out in the field but hours of classroom training and hours of firearms training to boot.

Security Companies do this for two reasons: 1.) They can. 2.) There is so much competition one company has to undercut the next company by price to the point the profit margin is dangerously thin. So, there is no room to pay an experienced officer much more than a new hire. In fact, if you have been around awhile, your raises probably haven't kept up with inflation and the new hire will probably be paid more!

Security isn't the only field experiencing this phenomena. It will all straighten itself out once the big economic crash hits and the illegals have completely forced us native born Americans out. Everything will be fine, then. Hope this makes you feel better about the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Wayne

82 months ago

All I can say is that things are getting worse and worse in this country, especially in the security field. I'm working 40 hrs. a week security at an asphalt plant in Lake Charles, LA for Lofton Security and making a paltry $8.25 per hr. I have 11 years experience and the janitors are probably making more than we guards. Personally, I've had it with the horrible pay. On top of that we keep on getting memos about this meaningless homeland security garbage. It makes no sense at all for the feds to be making a big deal about "homeland security" while we're being flooded by illegal mexicans. The politicians (Democrats and Republicans alike) don't do a damn thing about this illegal invasion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Wayne

82 months ago

Phill Comeaux San Antonio, Texas in Evansville, Indiana said: You are right it.s just that some security officers had to know why. I hope the people responsible for allowing the illegals to work (many say it's the republicans)here in this country will go home. The republican party was trying to get the current laws changed to accomondate the rich companies so that the rich companies don't have to pay more for a experienced worker. For more on thid suject goto: seiu.org

I don't trust either party Phil. The Republicans want them here for cheap labor. The Democrats want them here as a welfare voting bloc. Just look at the candidates running for President. The top four vote getters, Republicans McCain (Juan McAmnesty) and Huckabee, along with Democrats Obama and Clintoon have all four been guilty of voting against Americans and for illegal mexicans. Actually, the best candidate on putting a stop to the illegal invasion was Tom Tancredo, a Republican. Of course the liberal Democrats and neocon Republicans were against him, but didn't want Mr. and Mrs. American Taxpayer knowing about it. On top of that, the media, other than Lou Dobbs was deafeningly silent about Tancredo's platform. The vast majority of voters didn't even know who he was. Now we're pretty much stuck with four horrible candidates and whichever way the country votes, it's going to be the same old thing as it's been under Bush.....a lot of rhetoric, but when push comes to shove, the border will be wide open and they'll still be trying to legalize every Juan and Jose they can find while hoping Americans don't raise too much cain about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phill Comeaux San Antonio, Texas in Evansville, Indiana

82 months ago

Robert, it really don't matter who is president it's just that people won't hold this president accountable. So tell me, what's next? We as real Americans need to raise a lot of cain. We didn't so that's why this president did what he did. Now he see the damage he's done and want to give money to some americans so that they would think good of him. Some times, I say to myself...."WHERE IS GOD"

matthew in Dallas, Texas

80 months ago

D-Man in Waterbury, Vermont said: You are so right! I've got 20 Plus years in the Military and 9 in Civilian police and Security and an associates degree in Criminal Justice. I started at just what everyone else in security makes, guys just walking in off the street with no experience, high school grads and old fart retiree farmers (yes Farmers). Not only that but I am expected to train all these idiots and to add insult to injury, I have to wear the same uniform as these screw-ups. It MESSED UP. To make matters worse, I applied to join the county sheriffs department, I went to take the test with another apploicant from the same department, we got to know each other and he told me this was his third time trying to pass the exam. He also told me he messed up when he was a teen ager and got arrested for selling drugs. I passed the test first try and so did he and would you believe it, they hired him over me! I was floored! A 20 year Army Veteran MP Sgt. and a three time loser beat me out! This was in Vermont. DO NOT COME HERE! It's gotta be the worst state in the nation! If you are here already GET OUT! If the taxes won't kill you, the winters or liberals will! I can say this is coming from a native born Vermonter!! Also, do not believe the pay scale on this thing, a security officer, if you are LUCKY enough to find and get a job in that field here pays 22 to 24,000 a year. Take my advice, If you are in security STAY AWAY FROM THIS STATE!!!

I am sorry that happened to you. I recently applied for the county sherriffs dept. too. I nearly aced the entrance exam. I passed the interview board and have nothing on my background except a low credit rating to prevent me from being hired. They told me that my drug test came back positive for meth. I know that no one is going to admit to a sherriff dept that they are on drugs. I have never seen smelt or used drugs of any kind. the only exposure i have had is in the workplace while working security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in San Diego, California

80 months ago

You guys on this forum are right about a lot. They hire green people so they can pay less. I'll explain where I'm coming from. A while back I told my daughter to get a job, she had come back from a trip, and I meant any job. She went to a major dept. store. As she was applying for a retail position the security ran out and hired her on the spot. Our entire family cracked up laughing, but well she was barely trained, and she took the teasing because it was 10 bucks an hour. She walked around and looked for shoplifters. Scared me since I have some knowledge of what a safety hazard it was, but she had no idea. Well, she caught people, ended up being good at the job, even testified in court and then was sent to a different sales position. You see, she outshined even the boss, they even got mad at her, told her to ignore all supeonas, (spelled wrong) which is against the law.
They then hired new green people.
As for unions, the illegals are creeping in there. My husband told me that it is a major safety hazard in shipyards and large construction sights. A crane would be falling but no one there understands english. They've already taken over the drywalling it seems.
jill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in San Diego, California

80 months ago

By the way, San Diego Sheriff Dept, and The border patrol are both hiring from what I hear. The pay isn't as good as the PD, but benefits should be decent, and the pay is much better than most of the security jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Phill in Schaumburg, Illinois

79 months ago

Yes you are right but I hope people would stand up for their rights.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Saint Paul, Minnesota

79 months ago

Thank you folks. You are confirming for me that my job at 16.00 an hour is much better than average. If I am looking for something better looks like it's time for me to go back to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Half Moon Bay, California

79 months ago

most security contract jobs are billing the client at least 25 to 40 dollars an hour. wouldnt it be only somewhat fair that the officer would get half of the bill, even you guys making 9 bucks an hour(the account probably bills 60) and by the way, Ron Paul is still running and he is the only candidate that votes for the constituion, the elimination of the unconstituitional federal income tax, etc. Ron Paul is not a member of the C.F.R, so he will not sell us out to foreign countries and will not approve of the trans-texas corridor, or for that matter the merging of the united states,mexico and canada. his voting record is spotless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MIKE PETERSON

75 months ago

I HAVE A VARIETY OF IN-HOUSE HOSPITAL SECURITY DEPARTMENTS LISTED AT :
WWW.WEBSPAWNER.COM/USERS/HWWW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

maggiemct in Texas

75 months ago

Jake & all,
I've worked in billing for a security company for years. We can't bill "25 to 40 dollars an hour," companies won't pay that much for security. And $60 -- what drugs are you on? The clients want to get away with the least expense possible, but they want top-quality officers. Your complaint is with them.

Luther in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

I'm a relative newcomer to armed, uniformed security, with only about 3 years in, but I can relate to you guys frustration. I've trained other (sometimes experienced)people,often in too short a period of time to really learn anything other than where the properties that they are guarding are located (I worked as a patrol supervisor for a stretch).

I don't blame immigrants,Liberals, or Conservatives- I blame the same basic greed that motivates the criminals we're employed to catch. Really- would you send someone you care about to work for 14 hours a day, all the while worrying about shooting/getting shot, people telling you how to do your job,etc?

The way some of the regs are, it is obvious to me that some of the really filthy rich owners managed to influence how this business is laid out on the books. Maybe a union isn't a bad idea.
Then again, who would run crowd control when we went on strike?

I'm almost positive this didn't help at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

donald in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

I workd in security,for over 23 yrs.I has worked for different sec. co.here in chicago. All sec. co. is't that bad. You should do research on these security co. before applying for application. There are sec.co. here in chicago,that pays only $8.00 an. you get pay,every 2weks. Now when you get this check, they has taking out taxes. federal-fica-medicare-state an deduction union dues- garnishment for whatever an also take out of your check for uniform. Now you has to pay rent-food-light bill- gas bill an clothes.These d....sec. co. do not really care about the officers, as long there a body there to keep theirs monay rolling in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I always try to help a security officer trying to find a better security co. to work for.Working in sec. you meet all kind of people from different culture and back ground. In sec. you do has your sup.ervisors,whom work for some shades security co. being arm an do not have a tan card.These sec. co. will hire just about anyone from crackhead to dope addict.Belive me i had seen plenty of so call supervisors do , from smoking crack to prositution.And they will fire the persons whom mother/father whom has passed, because they taken a extra day off, instead of the require 3 or 2 days.Security officers needs to go on strike on these security co.How about that.

74 months ago

I always try to help a security officer trying to find a better security co. to work for.Working in sec. you meet all kind of people from different culture and back ground. In sec. you do has your sup.ervisors,whom work for some shades security co. being arm an do not have a tan card.These sec. co. will hire just about anyone from crackhead to dope addict.Belive me i had seen plenty of so call supervisors do , from .And they will fire the persons whom mother/father whom has passed, because they taken a extra day off, instead of the require 3 or 2 days.Security officers needs to go on strike on these security co.How about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I always try to help a security officer trying to find a better security co. to work for.Working in sec. you meet all kind of people from different culture and back ground. In sec. you do has your sup.ervisors,whom work for some shades security co. being arm an do not have a tan card.These sec. co. will hire just about anyone from .Belive me i had seen plenty of so call supervisors do , from .And they will fire the persons whom mother/father whom has passed, because they taken a extra day off, instead of the require 3 or 2 days.Security officers needs to go on strike on these security co.How about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J Gorle in Lynnwood, Washington

71 months ago

I've been in retail Loss Prevention for 19 years, and have worked my way up. You can make $60k - $75k in a district/regional position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Butch in the Boro in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

71 months ago

I can relate to these comments here I've read. Ibrahim in Vega... I believe it was/is, stating $8 usd currency per hour. I assume that meant for Wackenhut Armed Security?
Honestly I was unaware they paid no less than $8.50 per hr. for unarmed or USO. CPO here pays, depending on post assigned.
Unarmed CPO pays approx. $10.00 per hour vs armed CPO depends on post areas from $11.50 to whatever they think they can get by with for that particular area. Actually of all the security companies pay scales here I've checked on, a lot pay less than Wackenhut Security.
Now might I add though only 1 that I've found pays better for unarmed, Walden does on a gov't contract only I've seen.
I believe all these security companies try & cut each others throats just to cut the client the lowest prices on contracts!
There after assuming they will & can hire cheap labor, then issue a one day license class for guards course.. then walla.. u r a security officer.. unarmed!
The few things that bother me though is:
(1) fill out those lengthly applications, then interview, next you are being interviewed by certain persons not to state names.. don't know 1/2 what you do about security but they are office managers, Captains or ome type supervisors... What's this about?
(2) You go in the office one day, there's a new Captain, next week go in the office & there's different Captain/ area supervisors.
Who the h_ _ _ is really in charge?
Believe me officers.. never ever become a Flex/ Floater Security Officer. This is a shaft job from the word go!
Promises just don't pay the bills!
I am certified in darn near every thing humanly possible for security, weapons, sprays, cuffs, first aid, etc.
Still I've applied to hospitals, etc. Hospitals just ignore me! Other security companies tell me I'm ... " Over Qualified "? Whatever that's suppose to mean ... think it's a brush off!
A couple of areas do pay well for security. Federal contracts for disaster areas in states, border patrols, etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

ron johnson in Boynton Beach, Florida

62 months ago

i know i have been in it seen 83 and still get low pay it sucks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ron johnson in Boynton Beach, Florida

62 months ago

security companys are taking money from us and putting it in there pocket and we make s---

60 months ago

David Wolcott in Port Orchard, Washington said: Phil,
Not all companies pay the same for skilled and unskilled Security Officers. I worked for one company which is an unarmed Security Company for %10.00 an hour. Then I switched companies to an armed Security company which pays $18.10 an hour. So know what you're talking about.

Tell me the name of just "one" Security Company in San Antonio that pays $18.00 p/h and I will buy you a Steak!!!!!!!!!!

0fficer63 in Boynton Beach, Florida

60 months ago

alot of security companys look out for there pocket not the officers that work for them

Butch in the boro in Marietta, Georgia

59 months ago

0fficer63 in Boynton Beach, Florida said: alot of security companys look out for there pocket not the officers that work for them

10/4 on that one!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Albert in Cedar Park, Texas

57 months ago

275 said: Tell me the name of just "one" Security Company in San Antonio that pays $18.00 p/h and I will buy you a Steak!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure what it is in San Antonio but I bet it real close to what I get here in Austin we are at 17.00 .Try the federal side of security.And if it's 18.00 don't forget the steak dinner LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Phill Comeaux in Dallas, Georgia

56 months ago

I know many of you want to speakup for some of the security companies that was good to you but like I said before, I will be BLACKBALLED for saying this if not BLACKBALLED all ready. Most of the security companies are all about making money for them and not you. I will tell you that I worked my ass off because I knoew just what they (the security companies) wanted to get them more contracts. I'm sorry but I'm the type of worker that love to work but when I have to choose between how much the security company likes you (with low pay) and your family (who depends on you to make ends meet) the choice is extremely clear. And this country has got away from putting the worker first because without the worker, the service or product will not be quality. Most companies(not just security companies) these days are all about quanity instead of quality for which this country WAS know for.

Butch in the boro

56 months ago

Hello Phil from Georgia.
I can relate to your situation & comments you have stated.
Anyone can black ball me because I could care less.
I'll say what I want to because as long as I know it's the truth who cares, not me! If the truth hurts people's feelings then the real truth isn't what's in their own minds!
I as you have been employed with a few of those private security companies, cheap a__ pay, low life wannabee inexperienced security officers & site supervisors that wouldn't know real security if it jumped up & bite them in the a__! There are a few here in Tennessee!
Some security officers can joyfully state they are more than happy to work with their own individual security companies but those people must have been extremely fortunate. Either fortunate or sucked up alot!
In today's economy about all I've seen is companies that are & have really been taking advantage of people needing jobs because the private outfits I've seen want more & more profits.
Most achieve those profits with low pay to the employee.
Those type of companies know people need a job & could care less about the generally employed.
Their theory is simply ... If you don't want to work the posts/job site for x amount there are many others that will.
I finally just gave up on private security companies!
All in all though Wackenhut Security, Armed security, here pays better than any other private outfit. The supervision though is terrible. Some are nice or at least try to be but they just do not know their policies nor post's orders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Some Security Companies do offer you top dollar and treat you as a professional. The problem is that when we professional have to wait for an assisgnment, we take on another job and therefore leave the good security company accepting un qualified security wanna-bees to get those jobs. Alert, Alert!

56 months ago

Alert, Alert! Be aware of this Security Company: Modern Staffing & Security Consultants Inc operating without a license. They owe wages to workers/security strike offers since OAK HARBOR FREIGHT LINES INC in OREGON back in 2008 to this day. This company is not registered in California and dissolved in the state of Florida. Dispite this information this company is still currently operating. The company operates with 2 home addresses which is not valid. The website is: www.modernstaffingandsecurity.com The owners are President James M Rexroat and Vice President Irina Shtarkman.

whatever in West Palm Beach, Florida

55 months ago

In Florida the Security envirement is very bad. Yes, you can have 10years of experience and a person never worked in Security will get more money than you get. It is all how the person likes you, if they think is a nice pretty young girl she will get 11.50 Gatehouse, you as an armed officer will get 11.00. I quitt a job who paid 10.30 unarmed, went for a job, who promised me 12.50. When my first paycheck arrived, I received 11.00. Question, answer, if you dont like it you can quitt. The company expected a lot, when you made a minor mistake not even a mistake they fired you. The owner and manager are very backstabbing. The color will have a reason to. But I would never send anyone to this company. In Florida we have many coming and going companies. So I went in retail and will wait until I find something decent again, looking around.

Lots of luck to you, nothing is going to change, it is a coming and going, not a stady envirement. Every year you see new people changing on sites, nobody really is sticking around.

Good Luck.

Phill in Dallas, Georgia

55 months ago

Thank you for your response. Yes you're right about that. I don't know what will become of that but we must continue to alert each other of tactics like this to every security officer so that we can avoid companies like this one. If that can't get better security then it put the security company in question out of business. Also these businesses need to tell the officers personally that they are doing a great just.

Number One Guard in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

David Wolcott in Port Orchard, Washington said: Phil sorry I missed read your post. Please disregard my reply.

Sorry!!!!!!

Asswipe.you must feel stupid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

billy

54 months ago

i have worked as a security guard here in sc for 5 years.
40hrs per week.i have not missed one day of work.i have
worked over 500 hrs. of overtime.i have had 4 days of
vacation.we don't have a relief officer.i love my job,this
is why i stay with this company.i make 8.75 per hr.i am
63 years old and i retired 6 years ago from monsanto.now our account manager wants us to start corving overtime at another
site.i told my account manager that i am refusing to cover
overtime at another site and i understand if i am terminated
for refusing.all this overtime is created by students that tell
the account manager when they will work.i am waiting for my account manager to let me know if i am terminated or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Clarkston, Michigan

54 months ago

By the very nature of contract security you are guaranteed a dead end career with low pay. There may be an exception, but I've never seen one. Your best bet is to find a position that has its in-house security with good training. Some malls, hospitals, and colleges have their own private police forces called "security-police" (Michigan Public Act 330). Some of them are armed and carry OC, cuffs, and batons. They have full police powers while on property and on duty. These are the better paying jobs ($16-$22/hr), but the competition is a lot more intense. You will at the very least need 1-3 years of previous security experience (and not security guard rent a cop either), no criminal background, good references, and a 2-year degree. LE or military experience doesn't hurt. Also some hospitals want you to be IAHSS certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phill in Powder Springs, Georgia

54 months ago

Very good Ray. I knew that what you're talking about but we want it on a larger scale. Otherwise the security pool will get larger.

RG in Clarkston, Michigan

54 months ago

The only decent security job I had was working at Standard Federal HQ. They aren't around anymore, however. This was back in 1999. They pay wasn't awesome. I made about $23,000/yr, but the training was good. We wore state of Michigan badges, had OC,cuffs, and Sig P229's.
A year after I left they went to rent-a-cops. Now that building is owned by BofA. I went into the automotive field in early 2000 and worked there till recently (involuntary lay off). I hear I am getting called back soon, but while I am still young I think I am going to try to go the LE route. I always wanted to do it. I don't care if I have to take a pay cut.

Be safe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hoosiersgc in South Bend, Indiana

54 months ago

I own a security company with my husband in Indiana and I can tell you we pay our staff no more than 65% of the contract. That means our guards average about 57% earnings from each contact we land. I think that consitutes "putting the employee before the company". This is a cut throat business and there are a lot of operating expenses involved and in areas like Arizona and Texas there are a lot of regulations on training and licensing that is even more cost. In Indiana an average contract is anywhere from $11.50-$18.00 per man hour worked and on average it's $14 per man hour. So our gaurds are making more than half of our contract then we have to pay insurance, taxes, and all the other expenses involved in operating a business. So my advice to some of you, if you don't like the pay then CHANGE INDUSTRIES!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Butch in the boro in Buford, Georgia

54 months ago

hoosiersgc in South Bend, Indiana said: I own a security company with my husband in Indiana and I can tell you we pay our staff no more than 65% of the contract. That means our guards average about 57% earnings from each contact we land. I think that consitutes "putting the employee before the company". This is a cut throat business and there are a lot of operating expenses involved and in areas like Arizona and Texas there are a lot of regulations on training and licensing that is even more cost. In Indiana an average contract is anywhere from $11.50-$18.00 per man hour worked and on average it's $14 per man hour. So our gaurds are making more than half of our contract then we have to pay insurance, taxes, and all the other expenses involved in operating a business. So my advice to some of you, if you don't like the pay then CHANGE INDUSTRIES!!!!

Dear Security .. Guard ... as you state, company owner:
I may be mistaken perhaps but I believe the majority of these ... Officers ... here are speaking of Large Security Companies.
Therefore it might just be possible they are getting screwed!
You should know by operating a Small Organization you may possibly be able to pay more due to the fact your over head isn't quiet as large as a Major Private Security Company where in fact these companies are paying for 3 Captains that usually sit on their backsides in an office plus an Account Manager's salary, plus District & Regional Manager/Managers, etc.
Also this forum is where people can come & let off steam.
I for one would rather see people come here to let off steam than to go ... postal ... out in the field, wouldn't you?
So please try & be a little more understandable with all of us that come here to let off a little steam.
Your latter comment, " Change Industries " read a bit harsh, wouldn't you think?
These officers get that from their own companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.