why bad businesses pay very low when hiring security companies?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

mst in Wilmington, North Carolina

30 months ago

I was doing a search, wondering why security guards got such low pay. I have been in the service industry for many years, and I am about to go to school for criminal justice. I was thinking about getting a job as a security guard, to help a little with my resume, but after seeing the wages they are getting, FORGET THAT. I make $13.00 as a cook, security guards make 9 an hour at best? Its no wonder most companies security sucks. Guess I'll just keep flippin burgers for the time being.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lake Valerius in Decatur, Alabama

27 months ago

First, contract security is just that: by contract. When the client hires a security company, they pay "X" amount per contract hour. The security company divides that money between office personnel (branch manager, secretary, etc.), overhead (office bills, insurance, taxes, uniforms, etc.) and the security officer, who is LAST in line. By that time, there's little left.

Second, very few clients actually want "security" these days. They want someone to keep pesky cold-calls away, or someone to blame for whatever goes wrong on nights and weekends. But the biggest incentive for having security guards on-site is the break the clients get in their insurance policies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Security Facts in Atlanta, Georgia

27 months ago

Reguardless of who gets paid first, you still must keep the(contract security) kettle (Security pay)hot enought to serve(highest security production) hot tea to everyone involved. If the kettle's(contract security) fire (contract security's pay)not high enough,then the tea (Security production)will not be hot(pay enough) enough to enjoy. Simple as that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jackson50msncom in California

15 months ago

Lake Valerius in Decatur, Alabama said: First, contract security is just that: by contract. When the client hires a security company, they pay "X" amount per contract hour. The security company divides that money between office personnel ( branch manager , secretary, etc.), overhead (office bills, insurance , taxes, uniforms, etc.) and the security officer, who is LAST in line. By that time, there's little left.

Second, very few clients actually want "security" these days. They want someone to keep pesky cold-calls away, or someone to blame for whatever goes wrong on nights and weekends. But the biggest incentive for having security guards on-site is the break the clients get in their insurance policies.

I worked for ups here yes you are right by the time done with massive layoffs they will just be another alarm company like ADT Alarm company that use to be a contract security company no longer. UPS will keep down sizing turn into alarm company already have there vans etc and there alarm systems they will keep merging laying managers off go to the alarm company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jackson50msncom in California

15 months ago

mst in Wilmington, North Carolina said: I was doing a search, wondering why security guards got such low pay. I have been in the service industry for many years, and I am about to go to school for criminal justice . I was thinking about getting a job as a security guard, to help a little with my resume, but after seeing the wages they are getting, FORGET THAT. I make $13.00 as a cook , security guards make 9 an hour at best? Its no wonder most companies security sucks. Guess I'll just keep flippin burgers for the time being.

Stay with foods there are massive layoffs in security companies going to merge to alarm companies. I mean like ADT alarm co out here in Ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Lancaster, California

10 months ago

Federal gigs seem to be the only ones that are paying at a decent rate. The wages and fringe benefits on a federal service contract are governed by the Service Contract Act, and as such, the pay tends to be high enough to attract quality workers. In regards to armed federal security contracts, an applicant is generally required to have 3yrs of armed experience within the last 5yrs, or POST certification, or military service. You have to pay your dues in the industry before you can start making top dollar.

Rossini17 in Decatur, Georgia

7 months ago

mst in Wilmington, North Carolina said: I was doing a search, wondering why security guards got such low pay. I have been in the service industry for many years, and I am about to go to school for criminal justice . I was thinking about getting a job as a security guard, to help a little with my resume, but after seeing the wages they are getting, FORGET THAT. I make $13.00 as a cook , security guards make 9 an hour at best? Its no wonder most companies security sucks. Guess I'll just keep flippin burgers for the time being.

Guess that's why they love hiring unexperienced kids here in atlanta.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.