Getting a service technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

How did you get your start doing service technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

John in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Doing jobs that hone in on mechanical skills and where you may use alot of different tools such as wrenches and gauges. Today most companies have mobile data terminals in which you can use computer skills.

I went through a contracting company and performed the same job for 1-3 years before considering application at the utility company for that same job. While working for the contractor you will make connections and friends that will hopefully help you on your path.

At the very least you will need a G.E.D.(general education diploma) or high school diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dave

72 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing service technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I will be honest with you John networking is your best bet in any field these days .Its noyt what you know its who you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

apollomoonshot54@yahoo.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

70 months ago

I am presently entering the field looking for a entry level position and have aquired my Universal EPA license. What are my chances finding employment without to much prior experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Boise, Idaho

67 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing service technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Hi, I was laid off on March 15, 2008, I sent a full year looking and had multiple interviews in various service maintenance, several levels of electronics. Always coming in the top 3 or 4. My best interview where the one I studied the job description. If the position is through headhunters, ask them for a more detailed job description. Then tried all the aspects of that job and read on those. You need to educate yourself on the CAREER you want. If you don't have internet at home go to the library, unemployment office or a friend. As of 03/23/09 I will finely be employed 1 year and 12 days. I hope it won't take you as long as it took me. All I can say stand in there work hard for your interviews. Finding work is an 8 hour a day job. Don't take weekends off, but be sure to take the odd day for yourself. Be sure it is something that gets rid of your stress. Good Luck, Matt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael olivas in Mesa, Arizona

61 months ago

no depending on what work your in to.

michael olivas in Mesa, Arizona

61 months ago

I'm a tire technician serviceman of 25 years. Learned on the jobs with experienced employees.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.