Australian MSW in USA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Sinead1 in Brisbane, Australia

31 months ago

Hi All,

I was wondering whether anyone could give me any information about working in the US with an Australian MSW? I have worked in the women's health / domestic violence prevention sector and would be looking to do similar in the US, perhaps criminal justice system based case work / advocacy / community work etc.
I am a dual Australian and Irish citizen, and I believe that I would qualify for an E3 visa if I could secure a job requiring the candidate to hold minimum of a BSW.

I guess I'm just looking for info on differences / similarities of working in Australia and the US, also how difficult would it be to secure a job in one of the big cities (New York, Chicago etc)?

If anyone has direct experience of moving from Aus to the US it would be great to hear about your experiences!

Thanks in advance :)

Sinead

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Manny in Adelaide, Australia

31 months ago

Hi Sinead, I am not sure how Aus degree is recognised in USA. My BSW from Australia has been deemed ont equivalent to Canadian ones. Please do some homework before going there...Social Workers here have beeter pay scale then their I guess. I know a SW in Seattle...very clever and passionate...she earns very low...luckly she is married to pilot...

Also my BSW is recognised by British Columbia...but Ontario declined me...grrrr

All the best

Manny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Manny in Adelaide, Australia

31 months ago

Sinead..see the way they respond...they only need muslims...the more americans try to tame them the more the muslims turn back and bite...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.