DSW vs PhD

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Michael in Hayward, California

7 months ago

What have you all heard about some of the advanced social work clinical doctorates programs? University of Pennsylvania and Rutgers are both offering DSW programs which emphasize advanced clinical theory and practice. Do you think this would be enough to teach with compared to a research PhD? Do you know of anyone with this degree? If so what kinds of fields do they occupy? I much prefer to get a a doctorate in clinical work as a opposed to research but i also really want to teach someday and don't want to end up with a degree schools won't want. Any help/advice/knowledge you have is much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Social Worker 2013 in Columbia, Missouri

7 months ago

Michael, if you want to teach and be able to find tenure positions, my thoughts are to pursue the PhD. I have never had any faculty with a DSW. A good way though for you to get a real sense of what degrees faculty typicaly hold is to do a search of Schools of Social Work....CSWE has a directory of accredited programs www.cswe.org. Check out the CV's of the faculty. My thoughts are that you will find overwhelmingly the faculty will have PhD's. I am sure you will run across some faculty with DSW's, but I think you will find the majority will have PhD's.

There are some programs, for example, where faculty are expected to write grants and do research as well as teach classes. It all depends on the School of Social Work. During grad school I had some practice courses that were taught by adjunct MSW's....the one I can remember was a therapist in the field and she taught about the different therapies. My PhD faculty taught research courses, theory courses, and policy courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.