Does it matter what your MSW concentration is?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

socialwkr in Missouri

43 months ago

Jamientt in Fremont, California said: Hi,

I will applying to graduate school next year and I'm having trouble deciding what concentration is. It seems most jobs are for Mental Health Social Worker, but I'm more interested in Child Welfare/ Family Social Work. If I concentrate in Child/Family, but can't find a job will it be possible to still get a job in a hospital or similar?

Thank you for the advice!
Jamie

The nice thing about the MSW is that no one really looks at what our concentration. Every MSW program is different and some do not have the same "track or concentrations". Some MSW programs just have two tracks........clinical or administrative, and the students choose whatever classes they want to personalize their degree.

I did my concentration in Mental Health because I wanted to learn about mental health issues since most clients have some type of mental illness........BUT it all depends on what we are interested in learning more about. To help myself choose my concentration, I just looked at the specific courses/classes for the different concentrations and ended up choosing the concentration that had the more interesting classes that I was interested in taking.

Some of the other MSW students, chose child welfare/family social work.......and they enjoyed it because that was their area of interest was.

It all depends on the individual's interests. And as a side note, I don't think you will have too much of a problem finding child/family welfare jobs! States are always hiring for those positions!!

As you get closer to your block placement/internship, that is where you want to really take a look at what type of employment you are seeking, and try to find an internship in that area, especially if you do not have any experience.

Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.