Hope for Social Workers?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan

19 months ago

I'm not one, but I was thinking of becoming one. I'm a graduate of an MLT program and am considering majoring in Social Work this time around. I'm good with people, I love helping people, honestly...I'm terrified of the paychecks I hear about, I'm terrified there won't be any openings in social work.

The me I am - a behavioral scientist. The me I think I should be - medical scientist. All because of that ridiculous paycheck and job availability. Have any of you struggled with this mindset?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacky in Everett, Washington

19 months ago

One thing to keep in mind....job availability is not static but always subject the economical rollercoasters, politics, etc. Who knows what the future holds for certain professional fields. Remember when the recession hit and so many capable MBA holders couldn't find work?
Also, if we all chased paychecks there would be no Gandhi, Jane Adams, Mother Teresa, etc.
Personal experience:
A big part of social work is empowering the economically disadvantaged. Many of these people have not had the luxury of choice, being born into poverty and or going through hard times. When you see extreme poverty ( persons struggling to meet basic needs such as food, shelter), in affluent America, not making 100,000 a year doesn't matter. Humans matter.

Psalm100 in North Carolina

19 months ago

I will graduate in August with a bachelors in social work. It is a very rewarding field. I am already working in the SW field but I am not getting paid nearly as much as a social worker. In fact the current job I have now only required a high school diploma or an associate's degree. There are jobs available. You just have to be persistent and not give up. I have filled out applications and I will not give up on finding a job in my field that is rewarding in every way.

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan

19 months ago

Thanks, Jacky. It's not the 100k I'm worried about. I come from a family of hard times, which is mostly why I'm afraid to...I don't know, stop the insanity. You're right...people matter. I just want to be able to take care of myself, because if I'm struggling...how could I help others? That's why it's such a hard choice. Is it right to be the blind leading the blind, so to speak? Maybe that's wrong. I don't know.

Psalm100 - congrats on graduating. :) It's good to know there are jobs out there. I guess I have to remember persistence - something I need to practice.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.