Im a German Social Worker looking into jobs in Northern California / Bay Area.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Caspar in Berlin, Germany

43 months ago

Hi Guys,

I am a German social worker, working with teenager here in Berlin. Im working in a (kind of) youth center / school. In fact our youth club is based in the building of a Berlin High School. My client group are teenagers typically within the age span of 12 to 19. In my personal work, out of that age range, I work more with kids age 12 to 14.

Reason why I am asking / want to get in touch with people active in social work (preferably in the BAy Area):

My girlfriend is American, originally from San Francisco, her family lives here and so does she most of the time. After having a distance relation for almost 3 years (with a lot of traveling to each other and 6 months she lived in Berlin in 2010), she will start to go to Law School this coming August.

We decided that I will try to re-locate with her to San Francisco by the end of 2011. That's why I somehow have to plan this adventure and beside the visa situation, the other mayor issue to solve will be my personal working situation. I do have only a couple years of working experience yet, but am 32 years old and (if I get the work permit somehow) dont want to do minor jobs but something fitting my career / CV / interest.

I have an idea that social work and its condition frame in the US is pretty different than here in Germany. Nevertheless, I would be brave and excited enough to try it and come there. I never really understood your education programs on that field. That's why I am not sure if the German degree I hold is any how similar to the US. In fact, I am not even sure my degree would be compatible to what social worker there hold.

In this early stage of my working-out-progress, it could be essential to get in touch with people who are working in that field and do have contacts and experiences to share.

Thank you for reading this and I would love to read any feedback.

Yours
Caspar

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

Hi Caspar,

My wife is just completing her MSW (Masters of Social Work) and we have been talking about the licensing requirements in the state of California. You can find out more information by reading this link:
www.bbs.ca.gov/app-reg/lcs_requirement.shtml

The first step would be to figure out how your German Degree matches up with an American equivalent. Then you will need to determine if your work experience fulfills the state requirements.

I am sure there are many non-licensed jobs available as well, but the pay and benefits will not be the same.

Interestingly, we are both trying to figure out how she can use her degree in Germany.

Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Gluck mit Ihre Arbeitsuchen und hoffe alles gehts gut.

Gene

Caspar in Berlin, Germany

43 months ago

Thank you Gene I ll try to find out how my german degree could match... Any clue anybody where to find out?
somebody suggested I should contact a couselour at San Francisco State University that apparently has a good SW department. Or to call the US Embassy in Germany.

My fear is, those official bureaucracy will try to block my interest right away but pulling me down and make me understand to let it go. Or atleast wont be very supporting...

Caspar

Gene in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

Caspar,

You will probably have to talk to someone with the State Government.

I don't think they will try to discourage you, but I think you are right, they might not be supportive. Sometimes that is how it goes.

Best of luck.

Sara in Bremen, Germany

33 months ago

very same Problem here....maybe we should search together

Sara in Bremen, Germany

33 months ago

very same problem here....maybe we should search together

Sinaa in Bochum, Germany

17 months ago

Hey Caspar,

I saw your post. I know that you posted it long time ago. I'd like to know, if you are working in San Fracisco now?
I am studying social in Bochum, Germany and considering applying for jobs in Nebraska. I will finish my studies and get a bachelor degree next year. I worked as an intern in an organization that helps people addicted to drogs to overcome this addiction and I wil work in an Aids program in Namibia this summer (also as an intern). Though I guess those experiences won't be enough for me to have a serious chancew to get a job in the states.
What do you think? Is a master absolutely necessary? Or work experiences after the BA degree? I just wanna dace my realistic chances, and I guess they are pretty low.

I hope you will read this comment as it has been some time since you posted something here the last time...

Greetings!
Sinaa

Sinaa in Bochum, Germany

17 months ago

Sorry, I meant:

I just wanna *face my realistic chances...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.