MSW or RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 62 of 62)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

PCL in El Centro, California

39 months ago

McSmith in Mableton, Georgia said: I'm a recent graduate with a BSW having trouble finding a job with my degree. I love Social Work and am proud to have my BSW degree, but I'm getting caught in the old "no experience- no job, no job- no experience" trap. I am highly interested in working in Medical Social Work and realize that I will need an LCSW to do this.

I had initally planned to spend the year after graduation getting experience in the field using my BSW to take a break from school and either save up for or find a company that would reimburse tuition for the MSW. I haven't had any offers since May after applying to over 70 SW jobs and I'm now working at a menial $8/hr 3rd shift retail job to pay the bills. Right now I'm open to anything better, but it seems my resume is spontaneously combusting out there and my degree doesn't mean anything.

I'm researching my options now and it seems that I might be better off getting an RN degree. There are a few accelerated RN programs for people already holding 4 year degrees in my area. I think I'd really enjoy being a nurse, plus the extrensic benifits are much greater (pay, respect...) Has anyone else taken this track?

I think you should go for a RN. I have the same problem as you :( I earned my BSW as well and cant find a job within this field that i am now have to work for Allstate insurance company getting paid at 11.35 to pay bills. SAd! I love SW but we live in difficult times that sw jobs are so competitive and very limited due to state budget cuts. If i could go back for a RN i would, but i cant afford it since i now owe sooo much money on student loan just for a dam bsw to be jobless for a good while and now have to work for a low wage job to pay bills. If you have the stomach to see a lot of gruesome stuff, and have money to afford the RN program i say go for it. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeffro123 in Woodbury, New Jersey

38 months ago

I graduated last year with an MSW in PA. I recently got a job as a medical social worker in a local hospital and make 56,000. I am content with that. Starting out making 56,000 a year is not something I can complain about. You just have to be willing to look and figure out where the jobs are at. You have to be willing to move, and not just look at places in a 10 mile radius from you're house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

pfishermsw in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

McSmith in Mableton, Georgia said: I'm a recent graduate with a BSW having trouble finding a job with my degree. I love Social Work and am proud to have my BSW degree, but I'm getting caught in the old "no experience- no job, no job- no experience" trap. I am highly interested in working in Medical Social Work and realize that I will need an LCSW to do this.

I had initally planned to spend the year after graduation getting experience in the field using my BSW to take a break from school and either save up for or find a company that would reimburse tuition for the MSW. I haven't had any offers since May after applying to over 70 SW jobs and I'm now working at a menial $8/ hr 3rd shift retail job to pay the bills. Right now I'm open to anything better, but it seems my resume is spontaneously combusting out there and my degree doesn't mean anything.

I'm researching my options now and it seems that I might be better off getting an RN degree. There are a few accelerated RN programs for people already holding 4 year degrees in my area. I think I'd really enjoy being a nurse, plus the extrensic benifits are much greater (pay, respect...) Has anyone else taken this track?

I would definitely go in the RN route! I have a MSW and the jobs are not available as they once have been! Also, the pay for a masters prepared individual is minimal at best! I am going into nursing not for the money per se, but for the respect and ability to know that my skills and competences are valued enough to help others in need!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Seattle, Washington

33 months ago

Reading these Forum's are making me depressed. I think I need a Social Worker?

Just Kidding. Well anyway I too am a Social Worker with an MSW and am working at a job far below my skill level. But the one think I have going for me is I am working at a Children's Hospital and am slowly building up my contacts in this field. I am an operator so basically I answer phones and transfer calls. I talk to all the Social Workers everyday and they all know me. The negative part is if I walk down the hall I wont get recognized. My story starts with getting this job. It was a fluke decision in applying because I was trying to make my quota for unemployment. After I got the job, it opened my eyes to working in this hospital because I didn’t think it was possible. I went on a job shadow and was really honest with my manager about goals for working in the Social Work department, and as far as I can tell they are open to helping me. I have applied and applied and applied to various social work and psych jobs but have received no bites. So I tried the volunteer route. I met with a lady who was in charge of the Journey program (Death and Dying) through Social Work. She seemed very excited about having me volunteer with her department so I started the process with Volunteer Services. While waiting for the manager of volunteer to get back to me I saw a job posting on our internal website for an Intake Case Worker. This job happened to be the assistant of the lady I wanted to volunteer with. *Seemed like fate!* Anyway I went through 2 interviews and heard from my manager that her reference checks when really well. My manager said she would be surprised if I didn’t get the job. About a week after the last interview, I received a call from the Journey program’s manager and she said that “unfortunately they went with someone with more experience!” Story of my life! I being the bigger person and not wanting this opportunity to pass me by still asked her if she needed a volunteer. She se

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Comment continued in previous post.
She seemed very excited about having me volunteer with her department so I started the process with Volunteer Services. While waiting for the manager of volunteer to get back to me I saw a job posting on our internal website for an Intake Case Worker. This job happened to be the assistant of the lady I wanted to volunteer with. *Seemed like fate!* Anyway I went through 2 interviews and heard from my manager that her reference checks when really well. My manager said she would be surprised if I didn’t get the job. About a week after the last interview, I received a call from the Journey program’s manager and she said that “unfortunately they went with someone with more experience!” Story of my life! I being the bigger person and not wanting this opportunity to pass me by still asked her if she needed a volunteer. She seemed really excited about that. To me that shows I am persistent and really open to trying just about anything to gain something for my resume (even after I was shot down). It’s been almost 3 months since I started the process of volunteering and its been stagnant. I will keep trying however because I eventually want to make more than an uneducated person.
About my applying history: I have also been applying for many different jobs. I hesitate to deviate from medical jobs because in the end experience in medical is what they want. My experience ranges from doing an Internship at CPS, working in a crisis shelter for teens, and working at a hospital gaining general medical experience. I have been told to check back with certain places in a few years after I get experience, but until then they don’t have any options for me. At first I refused to think it was the currently United States economy affecting my job prospect, but now realize that I lots of people are in the same situation as me. I work very hard but still get discouraged with looking for jobs, because this situation seems like a catch 22.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Continued from 2 previous posts above:

Anyway the point of my blog is to add to the “I’ve been there,” and the “I’m still there” conversation. Hopefully it all works out for you, or if any one has any more suggestions for me, that would be helpful!
Thanks for your time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Loretta in Liberty Hill, Texas

32 months ago

Newbsw in Hinesville, Georgia said: I don't understand it I know I don't have a master's but give me a break I can't get any perspective jobs I starting to feel like my degree is useful as a degree in basket weaving. I worked so hard in college top of my class!! Yet nothing I'm so discourage if there's no hope for people with MSw's I really feeling discourage and it's said now they have nursing doing our job it's not enough that we have to compete with all the other social sciences now RN's. If there were more men in the field and social workers were not so sterotyped, maybe I could find a job.....losing hope in this profession:(

Hey new bsw in Geogia: I am in a similar situation. Here in Texas the easiest way to find work with a BSW is through CPS or APS, also working in clerical/administration field in support of non profit might be good. I have the BSW with /2 years and 4 months of experience, graduate top of my class and nominated most outstanding student while in school. I am still having a difficult time trying to find a job. A friend who is an LMSW suggested I get the license as a BSW and that opens more doors at nursing homes, domestic violence shelters. Don't give up on the profession, believe me I
have felt like it lately, but we are in it for social justice and standing up for people in poverty, this is why it is vital to find a way to stick with it. Best wishes. We will find our way! Also, you may consider caregiving, it may be 8-10 an hour, but it's better than retail and keeps you working with the disabled and elderly population!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thompson in Thunder Bay, Ontario

31 months ago

I just got my BSW, and I sort of new at the beginning that jobs would not be plentiful. I was planning on getting my MSW, but I am putting on the brakes and thinking about getting the Registered practical nurse, which is the same as an LPN in the USA. I find no use of getting an MSW in this environment of cut backs. The government is only going to keep front line workers, why? How else will it pay for all the boomers that will need health care. Besides child welfare and drug treatment centres, social work could disapear. Nursing is front line like police and fire. To go for a MSW and just end up in Child Welfare would be academic suicide. Think before you start a social work degree. Its a disguised psychology degree, good for coffee talk.

What do you think, BSW/LPN or just an MSW??????????????? it makes no sense to go forward in a deadend area with little jobs to bounce around on and little choices. I have talked to many professionals and they said for me to compliment by BSW with an LPN would be the best I can do right now , and it would be more powerful then just a MSW. I would have more transferable skills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

studentforever in Las Vegas, Nevada

24 months ago

dprock503 in Salem, Oregon said: Wow i have just started my schooling for BSW and i have heard from fellow state workers that they are having the same trouble. It is kinda discouraging to hear this news. If i wanted to be a RN i would have taken courses for that instead of social work.I will try and stay with this anyway. Hoping for the best.

I agree I am completing a BA in psychology this year and am thinking about accelerated RN program rather than grad school for MSW I can finish at my current college less time more money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

studentforever in Las Vegas, Nevada

24 months ago

thompson in Thunder Bay, Ontario said: I just got my BSW, and I sort of new at the beginning that jobs would not be plentiful. I was planning on getting my MSW, but I am putting on the brakes and thinking about getting the Registered practical nurse, which is the same as an LPN in the USA. I find no use of getting an MSW in this environment of cut backs. The government is only going to keep front line workers, why? How else will it pay for all the boomers that will need health care . Besides child welfare and drug treatment centres, social work could disapear. Nursing is front line like police and fire . To go for a MSW and just end up in Child Welfare would be academic suicide. Think before you start a social work degree. Its a disguised psychology degree, good for coffee talk.

What do you think, BSW/LPN or just an MSW??????????????? it makes no sense to go forward in a deadend area with little jobs to bounce around on and little choices. I have talked to many professionals and they said for me to compliment by BSW with an LPN would be the best I can do right now , and it would be more powerful then just a MSW. I would have more transferable skills

I agree you can take LPN to RN later asvwell

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Social Worker 2013 in Clinton, Missouri

24 months ago

There are challenges all around with employment. I know there are new nurse grads having difficulty findings jobs because of having no experience. A couple of large hospitals in my area have cut nursing slots and some of the vacant nursing positions are not going to be filled. One of the hospitals which cut slots said it was due to the census. I know a nurse who said when she worked at the hospital if the census was low, some of them would be sent home and you had to use your leave/personal time. So healthcare is cutting back too. Some hospitals are no longer hiring LPN's, or have very few LPN positions available. Again, it is tough and challenging on all sides.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

I had initally planned to spend the year after graduation getting experience in the field using my BSW to take a break from school and either save up for or find a company that would reimburse tuition for the MSW. I haven't had any offers since May after applying to over 70 SW jobs and I'm now working at a menial $8/ hr 3rd shift retail job to pay the bills. Right now I'm open to anything better, but it seems my resume is spontaneously combusting out there and my degree doesn't mean anything.

Sociology is nothing like nursing. Are you good at Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology, Math, etc? These are required pre-reqs to weed you out. Also, most hospitals require a BSN degree, and still there are no jobs. There is no nursing shortage even in 2013. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.