Medical Social Workers...hard to find?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Meo in Davis, California

39 months ago

I'm curious, what is it that you do if it's not discharge planning?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

oregonamy1972 in Albany, Oregon

39 months ago

We get referrals to do mental health assessments on patients in the hospital, we do a lot of drug and alcohol assessments, lots of end-of-life discussions with patients and family. We also handle the difficulty family dynamics that can surface when families are in crisis. We also work with patients when there are concerns about abuse and neglect.

socialwkr in Missouri

39 months ago

oregonamy1972 in Albany, Oregon said: I'm actually not in a position where I'm trying to find a job. I'm currently working as a medical social worker. Our department currently has a vacancy and we're not getting very many applications. I would have assumed that, given the way the economy is, there would be more interested applicants. I don't know if people are turned off by medical social work in a hospital. In this job we don't do discharge planning but I'm wondering if people assume they'd have to do discharge planning and are turned off by that. Thoughts?

Does the social work department at your hospital receive all resumes and applications from applicants, or do you all have HR recruiters at your hospital? Just curious, because some of the larger hospitals here have HR recruiters who "decide" which applicants they tell the social work department about to consider for hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

oregonamy1972 in Albany, Oregon

39 months ago

From my experience going through the hiring process for two other social workers who have joined our department...everyone applies online. The HR recruiter decides if an applicant meets the minimum requirements (which are having an MSW and being able to get either an LMSW in the state of Oregon or CSW-A or an LCSW). Then, the applicants are forwarded on to the Director of Social Services. Then we all take a look at the applicants to determine if we want to interview. I also know that if you call the hospital directly (ie switchboard) you can get forwarded on to the director and she'll talk to basically anyone who calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Beaverton, Oregon

36 months ago

I am hoping to attend PSU's MSW program and become a medical social worker. Right now, PSU is the only MSW program in the entire state, and admission is very competitive. Can you share any words of wisdom to future medical social workers? Any advice for finding employment? Thank you!

Dian in Lakebay, Washington

34 months ago

oregonamy1972 in Albany, Oregon said: From my experience going through the hiring process for two other social workers who have joined our department...everyone applies online. The HR recruiter decides if an applicant meets the minimum requirements (which are having an MSW and being able to get either an LMSW in the state of Oregon or CSW-A or an LCSW). Then, the applicants are forwarded on to the Director of Social Services. Then we all take a look at the applicants to determine if we want to interview. I also know that if you call the hospital directly (ie switchboard) you can get forwarded on to the director and she'll talk to basically anyone who calls.

Wow, I've been looking for an MSW position for months. There are positions out there but there is so much competition I have only had two interviews in six months. I"m working currently and have 10 years exp. plus an LICSW. Go figure!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.