STUDENT LOAN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Angelize in NYC, New York

39 months ago

Licensed Social Workers should not have to repay student loans! We do not earn enough to do that! Basically, there needs to be some incentive (compensation?) for working with the underserved - literally risking our lives as we venture into neighborhoods that we would never normally go into.
The NASW needs to do more lobbying, or whatever it is that they do for making this happen!
I'm so sickened each time I write out my check for my loan,($589.00/mo).
What's more, I'll be paying until the day I drop dead!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

39 months ago

Angelize in NYC, New York said: Licensed Social Workers should not have to repay student loans! We do not earn enough to do that! Basically, there needs to be some incentive (compensation?) for working with the underserved - literally risking our lives as we venture into neighborhoods that we would never normally go into.
The NASW needs to do more lobbying, or whatever it is that they do for making this happen!
I'm so sickened each time I write out my check for my loan,($589.00/mo).
What's more, I'll be paying until the day I drop dead!

Info on loan forgiveness programs: www.naswdc.org/loanforgiveness/

I also feel that social work programs should offer more opportunity for paid internships. If it was not for my Army College money at that time, I would have been reduced to living off my savings and who knows....maybe even have used credit cards. When social work students have to do 750 hour block internship placements without pay, that places a big financial burden one one's shoulders. I also worked 20 hours on the weekend, with the 40 hour a week unpaid internship. I got through it with eye balls intact, but still I hope there are more opportunities for social workers to receive financial assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ricky Mike in London, United Kingdom

37 months ago

A student loan is designed to help students pay for university tuition, books, and living expenses. It differs from other types of loans in that the interest rate is substantially lower and the repayment schedule is deferred while the student is still in education.
most college students in the United States qualify for some type of student loan, although the amount they can borrow may vary based on several factors. Income level, parents' income level, and other financial considerations are all weighed to determine the amount you are eligible to borrow under the federal student loan program.
Here is where you can go and see if you are eligible for any awards.
www.4studentloan.net/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.