Should I continue with graduate school to get my MSW?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Pa Houa in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

58 months ago

I'm graduating in May, but the applications for graduate school is due around January. My field of interest is in geriatrics. Should I continue on with schooling, or attempt to find a job first? Most people I have talked to have said that I should find experience first, but warns that I will have to go back for the master's degree eventually. I'm looking around for job openings, and I notice that a lot of openings are asking for MSW candidates. And I'm having trouble finding jobs related to gerontology.

Any advice, comments would be helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

cisonit in Sacramento, California

58 months ago

Go straight into your Graduate program because it's just sad to see 30 year old directors of agencies and 60 year olds just going back for the MSW. Time will past regardless and how the economy is going finding a job may take a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in Southern, New Jersey

58 months ago

You will definitely need the MSW for many jobs in this field. That is why I went back to school and earned my MSW this past May.

As we all know, the economy is HORRIBLE now. I live in one of the worst states for unemployment, so I do not want to scare you, but there are NO jobs here, even with the MSW. The few jobs that are available want years of experience, and won't even consider an internship as experience.

Geriatrics is supposed to one of the fields expected to grow, and I have seen ads for nursing homes. Several of my classmates worked in nursing homes in Bachelor's level jobs.

Here is my best advice to you: go straight to grad school. I assume you will have to intern/do a practicum. INSIST that they give you a place that involves the field of geriatrics. That way you will have that experience as a foundation. I could not work during my MSW program, bc it was too intense and the internship and commute took a lot of time. Some of my classmates worked full-time and it was very very hard for them. Maybe you can find a part-time job in a nursing home or similar setting while you go to school (if it is possible with your school obligations). If you cannot work, volunteer as much as you can. You need to get that resume looking good!

My classmates and I are having trouble finding jobs. The ones who were working in the field were able to stay in those jobs, but only a couple got promotions. Several others got hired at the places they interned, but our school had frowned on that because they are afraid of "losing intern sites." The rest of us are not having much luck. I just landed a temp. job for about the next 6 months. It is work I did in my internship, so that helped. I am so lucky I got this, but when it is over, I will be out of work again.

I wish you a lot of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

khat648 in Totowa, New Jersey

35 months ago

I am interested in getting my LCSW to practice therapy and have been accepted to Rutgers University MSW program. I am wondering where you completed your degree and if you think the job market for MSW's/LCSW's is not worth entering...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

reiproperty4u@*****.*** in Vancouver, Washington

34 months ago

khat648 in Totowa, New Jersey said: I am interested in getting my LCSW to practice therapy and have been accepted to Rutgers University MSW program. I am wondering where you completed your degree and if you think the job market for MSW's/LCSW's is not worth entering...

Well, to answer your question(s).... I completed my MSW degree in 1993 at Portland State University (Portland, OR)... I have not yet received my LCSW, but will taking the exam in December 13'... I soon learned over the years most employers, esp. the medical settings will NOT hire you without an LCSW. Most not-for-profits will expect you to have an MSW, along with some clinical experience as well. I would strongly encourage you to earn the hours necessary to take the LCSW exam. If you have ANY further questions or need assistance with taking the exam just let me know!!! Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

MilaBab in Piscataway, New Jersey

26 months ago

reiproperty4u@gmail.com in Vancouver, Washington said: Well, to answer your question(s).... I completed my MSW degree in 1993 at Portland State University (Portland, OR)... I have not yet received my LCSW, but will taking the exam in December 13'... I soon learned over the years most employers, esp. the medical settings will NOT hire you without an LCSW. Most not-for-profits will expect you to have an MSW, along with some clinical experience as well. I would strongly encourage you to earn the hours necessary to take the LCSW exam. If you have ANY further questions or need assistance with taking the exam just let me know!!! Thanks!!

Hello :). I just got accepted into the program at Rutgers as well. I will be attending part-time as I have a 19 month old. I was wondering how manageable the program is part time and whether the msw degree is a good basis if I want to eventually open up my own center for senior citizens (not a nursing home, but more of a senior day center with activities). I am excited about the future but am a little wary as I can only afford to put my daughter in daycare twice a week... I am sure it will all be more challenging than my husband thinks it will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

goodmiss10 in Jersey City, New Jersey

15 months ago

Choos Somthing else not SW I'm telling you from experience, look for a profession like nursing or accounts, Or go for corporate law, you will be better off I'm a social worker, I love it but the pay stinks and too much competition. get into an area where you can own your own business. people with only an high school diploma is owning adult medical daycares, dont waste your time you will struggle eespecially now that the economy is terrable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

goodmiss10 in Jersey City, New Jersey

15 months ago

First of all you can find many nursing home jobs but they hire only 2 Social worker to run 280 beds and one must be the Director of Social Services with a case load too. Go to law School, take uo smething else you will regret it if you do SW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CStinson in Indianapolis, Indiana

8 months ago

I'm looking into MSW programs. My state seems to have a number of openings. At any rate law school recommendations are lunacy. Law school is not worth it right now. It's probably the worst grad school market outside of liberal arts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LCSWHouston in Houston, Texas

7 months ago

Do not take the MSW route. We are over worked, under paid, under appreciated. It is a very demoralizing field to go into. So much responsibility, with very little pay back. Go for accounting, human resources, stay away from the mental health field. I wish I did. Private practice is very difficult especially during these tough economic times. Getting on insurance boards if you live in a city is nearly impossible. If you no do not speak Spanish or another language, you will not get considered for the majority of the jobs. Run from this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.