Social Work in Colorado

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

MatthewLC in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

My wife and I plan to move Colorado in 6 months. We don't know a whole lot about Social Work in Colorado and we want to make sure that opportunities in SW are good in Colorado.

My wife and I are both Social Workers, and she has her LCSW and I am taking the exam soon. I have experience working with the homeless and immigrants and refugees. My wife's experience is with maternal and child health and working in a clinic, she also wants to work more with immigrants and refugees as well, also we both speak Spanish.

So, that's us. What we would like to know specifically are, are there a lot of opportunities to work with the homeless and immigrants and refugees? Are there a lot of organizations for these populations? We might be living in Boulder or Denver, are there opportunities for this kind of work in these areas? We come from Chicago which has a huge social services presence, is there a large presence of these organizations and people in Colorado? And lastly, how does Social Work pay in Colorado?

I know we have a lot of questions, but we are trying to be thorough in our decision and we have already done some research into this but would love more input. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jcslmsw in New York, New York

14 months ago

Hi! I grew up in Denver and worked in several nonprofits before moving to NY to get my master's. There are a lot of immigrant organizations in Denver. Speaking Spanish will be a huge asset, especially in Denver. There are also a lot of homeless folks in Denver. You might want to start by talking with someone at El Centro Humanatario - a day labor center.

jcslmsw in New York, New York

14 months ago

I can't believe how many times I wrote "in Denver." Sorry about that!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.