Social Worker or Occupational Therapist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Angelika22 in New York

44 months ago

I am really torn between these 2 careers, I can picture myself doing both but I think social work would make me more happy, my only concern is the low pay. I don't want to feel resentful about becoming a social worker because I spent so much time, energy and money into getting a masters degree and end up making less than $50,000.00 a year especially since I am doing an Lpn program and probably will be making about 35 to 45 thousand(I don't want to go for my Rn). Does anyone have any advice please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Mesa, Arizona

43 months ago

That's a good question. I'm also trying to choose between OT and SW. Anyone have any advice for us?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Social Work Major in Dolton, Illinois

43 months ago

I too,was contemplting the same decision up until about two weeks. I reasearched OT in terms of job duties, expectations, and went on a mock job search. I also did the same for Social Work. I decided on, and is happy with my decision to choose SW. OT was not for me due to productivity standards,changes in healthcare, and the physical demand. With a SW degree, I can hold many diffrent job titles. Once an OT, thats pretty much the only title. What aspects of the occupations are you debating upon ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelika22 in New York

43 months ago

I am very much still torn about what to do, I was thinking of maybe going for OT and than later on going for SW right after. I am still very concerned about the salary for a SW though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

moorev77 in Prescott, Arizona

43 months ago

Angelika22 in New York said: I am really torn between these 2 careers, I can picture myself doing both but I think social work would make me more happy, my only concern is the low pay. I don't want to feel resentful about becoming a social worker because I spent so much time, energy and money into getting a masters degree and end up making less than $50,000.00 a year especially since I am doing an Lpn program and probably will be making about 35 to 45 thousand(I don't want to go for my Rn). Does anyone have any advice please?

I have been a social worker, I have a MSW and was laid off from County employment that pays really well. However, as a social worker you must keep in mind all the certifications that are needed to make more money. For instance, you need to attain a LCSW which takes 2-3 years to gain supervision hours and continuining education after you receive the MSW. Then you have to take a test (see Board of Behavioral Sciences website in your State for information). Keep in mind that there is time and money necessary to do these things.

I do believe there is a lot of flexibility with social work; however, there is a lot more work to be done after your MSW.

I cannot attest to anything about OT, but I can see that I see a lot of jobs for PT and OT, just look at the Veteran's Administration website at www.usajobs.gov.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.