Social Worker Salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Angelika22 in New York

41 months ago

Hi, I am a college student who is torn between becoming an OT and a Social Worker. There are two factors, one being job availability and salary. I know money is not the most important thing in a job but it is a factor for everyone or else they would be working for free. I know an OT makes great money but I'm not sure how much they make particularly in NY , I know I wouldn't make as much as an OT but I really don't want to spend so much time and money to get a Master's degree and end up making 30 to 40 thousand dollars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

41 months ago

Angelika22 in New York said: Hi, I am a college student who is torn between becoming an OT and a Social Worker. There are two factors, one being job availability and salary. I know money is not the most important thing in a job but it is a factor for everyone or else they would be working for free. I know an OT makes great money but I'm not sure how much they make particularly in NY , I know I wouldn't make as much as an OT but I really don't want to spend so much time and money to get a Master's degree and end up making 30 to 40 thousand dollars.

Hi Angelika22...............since these fields are VASTLY different from each other, a factor for me if I had to make the decision would be which field was a better fit for for me in what I wanted to do with my life as a professional. And I would also look at what fit best with my personality and my interests.

You may have already done this, but taking a look at the course work for various degree programs I found was also very helpful for me in choosing a major. As well as speaking with professionals in your field of interest.

www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Occupational_Therapist_(OT)/Salary

New York State information on OT Licensure: www.op.nysed.gov/prof/ot/otlic.htm (this is interesting because you tells you how many licensed OTs there are in each county in NY on one of the pages).

Ultimately, each day is a gift and tomorrow isn't promise, so do what interests you in life!

You figure that you will be investing a lot of time not only in getting whatever degree you choose...........but also with working in whatever career field you choose.

Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelika22 in New York

41 months ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I'm still undecided but I am gonna get my liberal arts degree at a CC and than maybe I will be able to make up my mind after.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

41 months ago

Angelika22 in New York said: Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I'm still undecided but I am gonna get my liberal arts degree at a CC and than maybe I will be able to make up my mind after.

Good luck to you. I attended a CC as well, and I really liked the size, price and atmosphere. Then you can have time to volunteer and try out different things!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.