Social Worker

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

sarouvak in Winter Haven, Florida

47 months ago

I have been a social worker/counselor for many years. Several months ago I needed to leave my job for family reasons. When things settled down I started looking for employment. What a shock to discover there are no jobs here.
I have a BSW and many years of experience but nothing has happened. It's somewhat disillusioning but I know there are so many others out there in worse situations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

47 months ago

sarouvak in Winter Haven, Florida said: I have been a social worker/counselor for many years. Several months ago I needed to leave my job for family reasons. When things settled down I started looking for employment. What a shock to discover there are no jobs here.
I have a BSW and many years of experience but nothing has happened. It's somewhat disillusioning but I know there are so many others out there in worse situations.

I hear ya sarouvak! One of the reasons I ended up pursuing my MSW is that I could not find a job with a BSW. It seems like the BS level degrees now in our society are like a high school diploma. Physical Therapy programs are now requiring their students to get a PhD!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T.S. in Minneapolis, Minnesota

47 months ago

socialwkr in Missouri said: I hear ya sarouvak! One of the reasons I ended up pursuing my MSW is that I could not find a job with a BSW. It seems like the BS level degrees now in our society are like a high school diploma. Physical Therapy programs are now requiring their students to get a PhD!

Do you regret pursuing a MSW? Are there still jobs out there? Can you think of any alternative yet similar careers? Thanks for any advice!

sarouvak in Winter Haven, Florida

47 months ago

You are absolutely right. Good Luck on your Masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

47 months ago

T.S. in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Do you regret pursuing a MSW? Are there still jobs out there? Can you think of any alternative yet similar careers? Thanks for any advice!

I personally do not have any regrets. I believe strongly that what we as social workers do is relevant and important...........psychosocial care, care of the whole person, not just an incident/disease/situation. There are still jobs out there, and from what I have heard from other social workers, the mental health settings are where social workers are considered "experts". Social workers are also important in the field of child protective services, working with families, the medical setting and on and on. I feel there is definitely more advocacy needed from the National Association of Social Workers for the field of social work. I personally would even welcome a name change..........for the longest time, anyone has thought they could do "social" work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

47 months ago

sarouvak in Winter Haven, Florida said: You are absolutely right. Good Luck on your Masters.

Thanks, I obtained my MSW back in 2005...........definitely no regrets!

zolo2 in Seattle, Washington

47 months ago

I obtained my MSW IN 2000 at age 58 and have no regrets. Once you obtain your MSW you then need to decide how you want to be licensed, and that means more work and studying to pass the National exams for licensure. Determining how you want to be licensed is partly decided by what area of social work you want to work in. Each area can require specific licensure; LSW, LMSW, LISW, LCSW, ETC. I have worked in mental health and medical social work and prefer mental health. That, depending on your state regs, requires specific licensure. So, you never stop learning. I will be paying off student loans for many years, but I would do it all over again because I have passion for what I do and I need to be a working person - at least part time. Good luck to those who are considering advancing their career by going back to school. Hope this helps someone look at the options they have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

katherine in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

Zolo2 -
I am moving from Brooklyn, NY to Seattle next month and seeking employment as a medical social worker - in NY State after you finish your MSW you are able to sit for an exam right away (which was what I did) and have been working for the past 2 years as a "LMSW" in NY State. I have started to do the research to get my license transferred to WA - I understand that for WA State it is either: SW Associate Advanced, SW Advanced, or SW Clinical? I have submitted all my paperwork for my SW Associate Advanced and have filled out most of my paperwork for my SW Advanced though I do not think I have enough hours/supervision to sit for the exam just yet.

Do you think I will have a difficult time finding employment in a hospital w/only the associate license?

Any tips on where I should look or any other general advice?

Thanks so much!

SAMIR RAO in Indore, India

33 months ago

HELLO GUYS IAM SAMIR N IAM PURSUING MSW BUT I SO MUCH WORRIED ABOUT A SUITABLE JOB IN THIS SECTOR,HOW COULD I CAN GET JOB IN THIS FIELD AND EARN A HANDSOME SALLARY..PLZ GUYS GUIDE ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zolo2 in Seattle, Washington

33 months ago

Samir - read some of the other posts and you will learn a great deal from them. Obviously if you are getting a degree in this field you will need an education from a college. This is not a "handsome" salary field, although you can, if you work in certain places, make a decent wage. Good luck to you, but do some research by reading other comments and you will have some, if not all, of your questions answered.
Wish you well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.