Stressed new graduate lookig for a social work job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 345)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Kori

87 months ago

I am definately grateful, but a bit annoyed when I give up 2 years of my life for a 64 credit program difficult program with a 14 hour a week unpaid intership every semester that seems to really not be respected. You would think that a program with that many credits would command the salary of a nurse or accontant or whatever. On top of that, you have to go through hoops to get certified for full licensure in NY and in some other states it takes at least 2 years. Meanwhile, the student loan bills don't go away nor do life's other bills. Education is valuable , yes, but I think I should have went into nursing where a BA is sufficient and the Nurse practioner level commands a very nice salary and is in more demand. Poor research on my part.

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia said: Mandy/Michelle/Kori: Be thankful you have the education as your education will get you into any door -- it just may not be the actual job that you studied for. You are young, educated, and the key is to network -- do some informational interviews where you interview the company or agency that you may be interested in to get a feel for what it is actually like. It is pro-active and ALWAYS ask for a business card.

If you look at the postings in this entire forum you will see that being over 40 with an education doesn't mean a hill of beans as it is the new college hires that the companies are focusing on bringing in.

Keep you head up, smile, and be thankful you aren't in the over 40's situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Birmingham, Alabama

87 months ago

Well all of you have excellent points and I think the best thing for me to do is to stop narrowing my job hunting in one place. I live in AL and the black belt has more than enough jobs to go around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BETH in Howell, New Jersey

84 months ago

Michelle you've stated "The problem is that you can't gain experience when no one wants to be the one to give it to you". Let me begin by expressing clearly "I hear you" & "You are not alone, many others searching for a SW position share your belief". Let's face facts. Holding the appropriate social work degree is vital and a great start yet, We live in a society where the bottom line is all that matters to those doing the hiring. With that said, let me suggest when you deliver your cover letter to potential employees do list for them a reasonable starting salary. What is meant by reasonable? Reasonable enough to land that social work position. Reasonable could very well mean being under-paid. Yet, then you will have given yourself a much better chance to have grabbed the attention of the reader and more than likely GAIN much needed experience and finally get that someone to GIVE YOU your first opportunity to gain social work experience. The question becomes for you "What are you willing to do to gain working experience"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

BETH in Howell, New Jersey said: We live in a society where the bottom line is all that matters to those doing the hiring.

Correct. It is called "capitalism." Don't like it? - try another country. Cuba perhaps?

Of course you could work for a church or other non-profit organization. Join the peace corps and be ready to go feed Iraqi orphans after the war.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (86) Reply - Report abuse

447 in Midland, Michigan

75 months ago

Ellen in Greenville, South Carolina said: I know! My daughter asked why she should go to college because it did nothing for me.

The point of going to college is that you will always have a degreee and it WILL give you an edge in employment. I don't know anyone right now who is out of a job who has at least a Bachelor's degree or higher. I do know people with an associates degree (not in nursing or the medical field) who are out of work or no college at all that have lost jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

447 in Midland, Michigan

75 months ago

BETH in Howell, New Jersey said: Michelle you've stated "The problem is that you can't gain experience when no one wants to be the one to give it to you". Let me begin by expressing clearly "I hear you" & "You are not alone, many others searching for a SW position share your belief". Let's face facts. Holding the appropriate social work degree is vital and a great start yet, We live in a society where the bottom line is all that matters to those doing the hiring. With that said, let me suggest when you deliver your cover letter to potential employees do list for them a reasonable starting salary. What is meant by reasonable? Reasonable enough to land that social work position. Reasonable could very well mean being under-paid. Yet, then you will have given yourself a much better chance to have grabbed the attention of the reader and more than likely GAIN much needed experience and finally get that someone to GIVE YOU your first opportunity to gain social work experience. The question becomes for you "What are you willing to do to gain working experience"?

I agree with Beth. You need to network. Call people you know from college who are working. Ask them about job leads. Talk talk and talk some more to everyone you know about needing to find a job. Nursing Homes and substance abuse are places to get experience, but low pay. At least you will get your foot in the door to go one to other areas of SW that you might be interested in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Well everyone it has been about a year now since i started this forum and I can't believe all the responses I have gotten. However, just to let you know I was once considering being a nurse when I was at may last job but decided to give social work one more try and I now love my new job. I'm now applying to graduate school as well since my job offered to help me through school and work with my schedule! I have to comment though on the post from Angelize I hate to step on any toes but if you are making in the 60,000 range and work in the hospital setting then money is important to you. After all the majority of social workers go into the health field because of the money and you make more money then some RNs I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Angelize in NYC, New York

75 months ago

Michelle in Birmingham, Alabama said: Well everyone it has been about a year now since i started this forum and I can't believe all the responses I have gotten. However, just to let you know I was once considering being a nurse when I was at may last job but decided to give social work one more try and I now love my new job. I'm now applying to graduate school as well since my job offered to help me through school and work with my schedule! I have to comment though on the post from Angelize I hate to step on any toes but if you are making in the 60,000 range and work in the hospital setting then money is important to you. After all the majority of social workers go into the health field because of the money and you make more money then some RNs I know.

Of couse money is important - it is for everyone!
I guess I need to clarify...
Compared to the salary of a P.A, N.P even RN, (never mind an MD)Social workers are not earning much!

Good luck and God bless....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Allison in Manorville, New York

75 months ago

Angelize in NYC, New York said: CORRECTION: Currently, I am at $69,500,(not $60,500).
That's with "Night Differential" - I work in a
hospital.

Hi Angelize,
Thank you for your comments above. I am just curious as to what a typical day on the job is like for you? I am interested in going into hospital social work in one of the NYC hospitals and am interested in knowing the pros and cons of the job. I enjoy clincal work and have my LMSW.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cglass in Miramar, Florida

75 months ago

???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kris needs some reassurance in Lake Odessa, Michigan

75 months ago

I am switching from nursing to Human Services for an associates right now.. it is truly my passion to be a social worker or substance abuse counselor... I have researched online for wages etc..From what I am seeing with your discussions on here, the $40K is for 4 yr bachelors degrees..correct???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

no Kris...40K is usually with a masters degree and several years of experience. I have been working in social work for a year and also have my license to practice and I only make 29,00 and the most I have made with my four year degree is 29,500. I'm actually doing pretty well for only being out of school for a year. While I was doing interviews for my first job I got offers as low as 23,000 before taxes. You will not get rich in this field but it is rewarding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kris needs some reassurance in Lake Odessa, Michigan

75 months ago

Ok thanks for that info but what if I'm getting an associates in Human Services which gives me a broad spectrum of things I can do??? Same story??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Kris needs some reassurance in Lake Odessa, Michigan said: I am switching from nursing to Human Services for an associates right now.. it is truly my passion to be a social worker or substance abuse counselor... I have researched online for wages etc..From what I am seeing with your discussions on here, the $40K is for 4 yr bachelors degrees..correct???

Hi Kris,

You will need to have a Masters to get anywhere in the field these days - at least in NY. Medical Social work pays pretty decently, I work in a hospital - my earnings last year was #69,500 but that's with night differential. Good luck and God Bless........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Allison in Manorville, New York said: Hi Angelize,
Thank you for your comments above. I am just curious as to what a typical day on the job is like for you? I am interested in going into hospital social work in one of the NYC hospitals and am interested in knowing the pros and cons of the job. I enjoy clincal work and have my LMSW.

Thanks!

Hi Allison,

Actually, there's no such thing as a "typical day" as I work in an emergency room (trauma I). I love the fast pace where we are usually in a "crisis mode". I deal with issues such as: domestic violence, child abuse, homeless, trauma...etc.
Good luck.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Angelize in NYC, New York said: Hi Allison,

Actually, there's no such thing as a "typical day" as I work in an emergency room (trauma I). I love the fast pace where we are usually in a "crisis mode". I deal with issues such as: domestic violence, child abuse, homeless, trauma...etc.
Good luck.....

Thank you Angelize!

Doris in Edison, Ohio

75 months ago

Michelle in Birmingham, Alabama said: Does anyone else feel that when you are just starting out every potential employer wants you to have experience? The problem is that you can't gain experience when no one wants to be the one to give it to you.

It's not just with your type of work--it seems to be with ANY type of work!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melanie

75 months ago

Hello everyone! this site was/is extremely helpful for me as I am starting my graduate program in Social work in Adelphi University in NY, I would really apreciate all the advise I can get on which exams I should take, either now or after completing Master's, to be able to work for the board of ed. Some people say the pay in board of ed is the best for SW, however some say different. I'm not only intrested in the pay ofcourse, I would love to work with children, that's why I think I should try working in schools. If anyone has information on working for the board of ed, or some advice, where to start after school, I would really appreciate all the advice I can get. Thank you in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Catherine in Panama City, Florida

74 months ago

I'm in the over 40,s group and also newly graduated and yes, it seems I could have stopped at the BSW level because now that I have a MSW, they want a license and 2+ years of experience. I do not have rent for this month and am afraid I will soon be inquirinfg for services myself...geez.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet Carter in Winter Garden, Florida

74 months ago

Kris needs some reassurance in Lake Odessa, Michigan said: I am switching from nursing to Human Services for an associates right now.. it is truly my passion to be a social worker or substance abuse counselor... I have researched online for wages etc..From what I am seeing with your discussions on here, the $40K is for 4 yr bachelors degrees..correct???

You MUST get a Masters in Social Work. For some strange reason, the organization tells themselves that having a Human Service degree is no good. I have both a B.S. and M.A. in Human Service. I am still washing crap off intellectual disabled people. Who said higher education would get us over the hill? I am as frustrated as you are but GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Indiana in West Covina, California

74 months ago

I just came across this page while doing some research on wages. I was so interested in what all of you had to say that I forgot all about my research. I reside in Los Angeles County, have worked as a Case Manager, with a Developmentally disabled program called the Regional Center System. This system is specific to California. I worked there for 6 years and started around $19 with little experience and a Bachelors Degree in Liberal Arts. Six years later I changed jobs to a Federal Re-employment Program under the Department of Labor. I do the same thing, Case Management but now with laid off workers seeking career counseling and re-employment. I am at $28 phr full time, full benefits and work 8 to 5pm. I have been there 10 years. I have recently decided to go back to school to get an LCSW. My plans are to go into private practice. My research has demonstrated that there is a great need for bilingual-spanish speaking therapists in my area. I can work with all insurance carriers and be on a referral list. I am not certain of how much the pay is but it ranges from $50 to $80 p.h.r. I still have to figure out the overhead cost however there are plenty of office space to share. I have decided to go part time to 24 hours to allow me to go back to school. I negotiated with my current employer for a $31 p.hr wage since I will not have medical benefits.
My point in sharing this with all of you is to let you know that there are MANY ways to gain experience. You can gain experience in different industries, just stick to the similar skills and abilities. Don't be afraid to negotiate or think outside the norm.
I'm not sure if I am on the right track however, I will not ever go back and say, I didn't try. The fortunate thing is that having the degrees will always allow me to fall back on something. I also got an Adult Teaching Credential to pick up side jobs if need be. You just have to explore and yes it's hard but go knock on those doors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Caitlin in Lansing, Michigan

74 months ago

Hello,

I am finishing up my BSW at Michigan State University. It seems like everyone that I tell that I am going into social work says that it is a waste of time and money because I will never be able to pay off my student loans. I really want to be in this field. I plan to go to NYC and get my masters degree and live there. I was just wondering if you all would recommend waiting on my masters and getting an entry lvl job (if I can) and then going back to get my masters after some experience. I could possibly even find a job that will pay for some of my masters as long as I am going to stay there after I get my MSW, or should I just keep going and get my masters right away... then I would have my masters at 22 ... but will I be able to find a job to support myself and my loans?

74 months ago

Hi Caitlin,
You could come to NYC and become a case worker with ACS . See the link for the job posting. www.nyc.gov/html/acs/downloads/pdf/067-09-10175C.pdf

The starting pay is about 39,000, and I believe they will pay for your MSW. However, the cost of living in NYC and the surrounding areas could eat up most of your salary. After you recieved your MSW, you would probably be able to become a supervisor at ACS which would probably give you a raise. You also may consider getting licensed as a LMSW social worker which requires you to complete your MSW and then sit for a test . It is about $500. All of that to say, the average salary that I have seen for a starting MSW social worker working for NYC is about $50,000 with full benefits.

All of that being said, I would recommend getting your MSW in Michigan and starting fresh when you arrive in NYC because the cost of living in NY is tremendous. I live on Long Island and moved to Ann Arbor briefly last year and had to return to NY and the diffrence in prices can be very discouraging. My best advice would be for you to research, research, and research more. Feel free to email me at kay726@aol.com if I can be of any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lem in Greensboro, North Carolina

74 months ago

You can do "social" type work with an associates in nursing. There are many nurses who work in the psychiatric field. You would be more employable with a nursing degree than Human Services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Catherine in Panama City, Florida

74 months ago

Yes, In my searches for employment I see many nursing positions and many of them cross fields. You can do some social work with a nursing degree but you cant do nursing with a SW degree.

CC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Go to the www.nyc.gov regarding ACS. I guarantee you will find a job. I would suggest you get the job first then go for the Masters.

74 months ago

Michelle in Birmingham, Alabama said: Does anyone else feel that when you are just starting out every potential employer wants you to have experience? The problem is that you can't gain experience when no one wants to be the one to give it to you.

Yep!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Know what you mean in New York, New York

74 months ago

Stay encouraged and remain open minded. There may not be a demand in jobs but there is a demand in World of people who need us. Find your nitch. Which population do you really want to service. Conduct a self analysis on what made you choose the feild of Social Work and target that. You may end up with a job anywhere and then deside that this work is not for you. Stay focused you have choices. Remember, Know your Nitch and stick with it. Dont be afraid.

Violet in Pleasanton, California

74 months ago

Kori said: I am definately grateful, but a bit annoyed when I give up 2 years of my life for a 64 credit program difficult program with a 14 hour a week unpaid intership every semester that seems to really not be respected. You would think that a program with that many credits would command the salary of a nurse or accontant or whatever. On top of that, you have to go through hoops to get certified for full licensure in NY and in some other states it takes at least 2 years. Meanwhile, the student loan bills don't go away nor do life's other bills. Education is valuable , yes, but I think I should have went into nursing where a BA is sufficient and the Nurse practioner level commands a very nice salary and is in more demand. Poor research on my part.

I agree it seems there is more of a demand for Nursing Jobs and they get paid more. I recently graduated and have been looking for a job for almost 2 months. I am afraid it will take a long time to find a high paying job...I just want to get what the average salary for a social worker. My other problem is that I don't know what kind of social work to go into...I don't think I have enough experience to be a medical social worker...

The Feild of Social Work is Wide in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

We can work in schools,hospitals,community centers, courts, protection agencies, legal offices, anywhere. Out graduating titles may not be the same "Social Worker". but out skills and knowledge base are still applicable. We can be Administrators,Case Managers,etc, what ever the title we still incorporate our therapeutic ability into the practice of work we do. Dont forget that and dont give up. We have choices and we dont need to box ourselves in. Our strengths are unmeasured. lets post some opportunities people. What agencies are hiring. Share

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yolanda in Dallas, Texas

73 months ago

Kori said: I agree. It is like the 2 year internship counts for nothing. They should make the internship be 0 cretdits in the MSW program so that we don't have to pay for it. Future employers don't seem to care about it. Also, the entry level pay is crazy right now. I have heard of some offers that basically pay the same amount for a BA degree. What was the point of spending 2 grueling years in school?

It is so sad that salary for Social workers are so little. I was on the Nurses forum and those with LVN makes more money than MSW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Yolanda in Dallas, Texas

73 months ago

Kori said: I am definately grateful, but a bit annoyed when I give up 2 years of my life for a 64 credit program difficult program with a 14 hour a week unpaid intership every semester that seems to really not be respected. You would think that a program with that many credits would command the salary of a nurse or accontant or whatever. On top of that, you have to go through hoops to get certified for full licensure in NY and in some other states it takes at least 2 years. Meanwhile, the student loan bills don't go away nor do life's other bills. Education is valuable , yes, but I think I should have went into nursing where a BA is sufficient and the Nurse practioner level commands a very nice salary and is in more demand. Poor research on my part.

I agree with you. Those with nursing degree are making it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taurie in Nashville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Angelize in NYC, New York said: Social work is not about money! I've been a social worker for 20 yrs, I started out at $27,000 - with my BA. Currently, I'm at $60,500. Yes, the nurses where I work are making more money, however, I would NOT trade my social work license for an RN one ever!
I love being a social worker, I'm great at what I do and yes it is a THANKLESS job, at times, and yes, I could be "making more" if I chose another career, but would I be satisfied in my career, I think not!
So, Ms. RN, if you feel that you have it in you to be a social worker, I say, GO FOR IT! God bless you and good luck!

Hello I am recently divorced, and returning to school. I tried nursing school and failed out of the program (twice) each time by less than 3 points.It was very stressful. My ex husband is a RN (BSN). He makes great money, but I don't think he likes his job, he just likes the money. I want to be a social worker. I have thought about it throughout the years.I am afraid that I will be poor, and that it may be unsafe. But a part of me wants it really bad. I want the satisfaction of sitting down and really talking to and helping people through their problems.Of all the nurses I know, a lot hate their jobs, but love the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hi Taurie,
I work with nurses, (I'm a Medical Social worker). Yes, most of the nurses appear to be quite miserable in their career and it shows in the way the patients are treated!
I don't know what social workers earn in TN, but my guess is, not much - in NYC, starting salary for Medical Social Work (in a hospital) is around $42,000. Then, you can always do fee-for service (Home Care Social Work) at $55.00/hr.
Keep in mind, you need a license once you have your Masters (4 hr exam).
In Sum, you can earn a decent living in SW. Good Luck!

anna in Toms River, New Jersey

73 months ago

Angelize in NYC, New York said: Hi Taurie,
I work with nurses, (I'm a Medical Social worker). Yes, most of the nurses appear to be quite miserable in their career and it shows in the way the patients are treated!
I don't know what social workers earn in TN, but my guess is, not much - in NYC, starting salary for Medical Social Work (in a hospital) is around $42,000. Then, you can always do fee-for service (Home Care Social Work) at $55.00/hr.
Keep in mind, you need a license once you have your Masters (4 hr exam).
In Sum, you can earn a decent living in SW. Good Luck!

Hi, recently obtained my BSW & am certified in the state of NJ, to practice as a Generalist Social Work,(CSW), yet, it continues to be difficult to gain SW experience esp. since Outreach - Home visits are not an option, will not consider going into the clients' home. Made this decision based on the most recent Tortured & Murder of Brenda Lee Yeager, a social worker who was brutally murdered while conducting a Home Visit. Why is it so difficult for recent Grads/ BSW/CSW to locate a SW position? And suggestions?

J. Girardeau in Kansas City, Missouri

73 months ago

If you haven't already, you may want to check out:

SocialService.Com
www.socialservice.com

for social work jobs. You can search the site without registering, but if you register, you can post your resume and get new job postings e-mailed to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

faith cynthia okobi in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

i am a student msw in long island university brooklyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

feeder in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

there are jobs just keep on trying and don't give up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lily in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

I came across this forum when searching about social work jobs and salary. I have my BS is international business and couldn't find a job in 2 yrs in that field and now I'm going back to school hoping for a new career path, I'm between CIS and social work but after reading all your comments it making me think else where in the medical field. Time are tough and everybody is out of a job, just thank god you have a job, even if it mean making $8 an hr. I currently working in the accounting field making $11 and I hate my job it very boring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie in Irvine, California

71 months ago

I am intensely researching getting an MSW also, b/c it seems to be a more "marketable" degree than an M.A. in School Counseling. I want to be a college counselor, but upon seeing so many opportunities in social service, it looks intriguing to get a breadth of life experience doing humanitarian things. But, the lack of income, ability to save, etc means a lot to me. I don't want to be check to check my entire life, renting, never feeling equipped to provide for a family to the ability I'd like.
Yeah Lily...thank god you have a job. I work as a personal trainer and I have my B.A. in political science. lol.

Diane in New Port Richey, Florida

71 months ago

I couldn't agree more. I'm 43, and just got my degree after being a foster mom with years of volunteer experience. It means nothing. I don't think they want to hire older woman because they don't think we could keep up or something. I have been out of work for 5 months and would except anything. I don't know what to do/

Katherine in Brooklyn, New York

71 months ago

I graduated with my BSW from MSU in the spring and now I am in a MSW program at NYU. The cost of living is difficult but its not impossible. It's important to think about what you intend to achieve by getting your masters degree, is location part of what is important to you? I think it is true that initially it is going to be difficult, after my masters I will be 50K in debt and paying about $500 a month in loans. I would compare costs (I did) and found that going to school in Michigan was relative in cost to going to school out here (at least for my personal situation). I waitress a couple nights of week to make rent, so you can imagine how busy I am (2 full days of class, 3 full days of placement, and a part time job). I personally think its worth the struggle.

Caitlin in Lansing, Michigan said: Hello,

I am finishing up my BSW at Michigan State University. It seems like everyone that I tell that I am going into social work says that it is a waste of time and money because I will never be able to pay off my student loans. I really want to be in this field. I plan to go to NYC and get my masters degree and live there. I was just wondering if you all would recommend waiting on my masters and getting an entry lvl job (if I can) and then going back to get my masters after some experience. I could possibly even find a job that will pay for some of my masters as long as I am going to stay there after I get my MSW, or should I just keep going and get my masters right away... then I would have my masters at 22 ... but will I be able to find a job to support myself and my loans?

Caitlin in East Lansing, Michigan

71 months ago

I am so excited to be done with MSU... and I have finally decided to move to NYC and get my MSW there ... possibly NYU or maybe Lehman college... I am not sure yet... but I am ready to make it work.

Kori in Manorville, New York

71 months ago

Kori said: I agree. It is like the 2 year internship counts for nothing. They should make the internship be 0 cretdits in the MSW program so that we don't have to pay for it. Future employers don't seem to care about it. Also, the entry level pay is crazy right now. I have heard of some offers that basically pay the same amount for a BA degree. What was the point of spending 2 grueling years in school?

I have to update the comment I made many months ago. I would definitely recommend getting licensed (LMSW) in NY to help open some doors. I have gotten my LMSW since my last post and the salary offerings and job opportunities have gotten better (high 40's low 50's range) for positions in NYC(specifically hosptial social work positions , nyc hhc). But I will still assert that fining a equal position on Long Island even with the license is very challenging. So all of those who are still looking, hang in there, things will get better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

SECREATTS

70 months ago

I HAVE A BSW AND AM NOT LICENCES.I MAKE $55,000 PER YEAR IN A NURSING HOME. I AM GOING BACK TO SCHOOOL FOR MY MSW AND I MIGHT GET MY LICENCES, AM NOT SURE YET.I DO RECOMMEND TO LOOK AROUND THERE ARE APPORTUNITIES OUT THERE BUT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AROUND.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

peety in Littleton, Colorado

68 months ago

SECREATTS said: I HAVE A BSW AND AM NOT LICENCES.I MAKE $55,000 PER YEAR IN A NURSING HOME. I AM GOING BACK TO SCHOOOL FOR MY MSW AND I MIGHT GET MY LICENCES, AM NOT SURE YET.I DO RECOMMEND TO LOOK AROUND THERE ARE APPORTUNITIES OUT THERE BUT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AROUND.

All I hear from people when I tell them I wish to go to school for social work, is that I will make NO money. I would be happy with $55000. Is your salary atypical? s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

SECREATTS, there's no sense in not getting licensed if you get your MSW, you'll need it to work as a Social Worker. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PhaPha in Brooklyn, New York

68 months ago

You got a job in a nursing home making $55,000 Anuually what state, what nursing home, and whats your nationality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Josie in Brooklyn, New York

68 months ago

$55,000 New Grad BSW, whats the ketch wait a minute who are you kidding, Ok anyway. People Social work is a profound profession. Dont give up. Go into the feild of work that you love and do it. Dont settle for less they need us out there. I mean that. This is not about the funds because out goal is the people. to serve others. Keep your heads up or soon you will need to be in therapy yourself. Keep your head up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jordana in Columbus, Ohio

68 months ago

Hi Michelle. I had some of the same issues that you had..employers want experience. I have found that volunteering is the key to experience..especially if you are working, school, etc. It is something you can fit in anytime. When you go in for that job interview, you just reference your social service experience (volunteering). This should be the highlighting factor for your job interview. Social service experience, THEN education. I like to say that education is like a basket and what you fill it with is your experience. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.