What do you like/love about being a social worker?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

onesw in Vancouver, British Columbia

59 months ago

There are so many SW discussion threads online that contain negative messages about the profession. Thought it might be a good idea for those of us who like the field to talk about what keeps us motivated at work. This might even help some of us get perspective on our practice :)

For myself, I love being able to walk into people's lives, often during very difficult moments, and be able to get a sense of what they need from me. I remember working with an elderly woman who had been in abusive relationship for many years, and after speaking with her for an hour, finally having her say something nice about herself. She later told me that it had been years since she had been able to be kind to herself, and that doing so had given her some hope for one day being able to manage without her relationship. This conversation made me realize how special/meaningful our work can be, often for people who can't imagine a better life for themselves.

I also love that I know the ins and outs of the bureaucracy, and can as a result make myself a knowledgeable advocate for families in crisis/distress.

I'd love to hear about others' experiences! Please, let's try and keep these posts positive, as I think it would be great to share good experiences with one another - we don't get that chance often enough :)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.