opinions regarding a post MSW graduate certificate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

darnell239 in Columbia, South Carolina

72 months ago

I would like to hear some opinions about working on a graduate certificate. I am a MSW graduated in 2002 but never held an "actual social work job." Yes, I do have work experience in the human service field and use to be a special ed teacher (completely burned out from that). I do have a LMSW and would like to work towards my LISW but can't find a real social work related job to earn to work experience. I have a lot of experience working with children in the school system but I want to move into a different direction. I want to focus on an area of social work where there is a growing need, possibly job security, and hopefully decent pay. The university where I live offers a graduate certificat in Drug and Alcohol studies and in the process of offering a new certificate program for military social work. I do want to mention I am a disable vet with a 20% disability rating. I would love to work with veterans. Can anybody give me an opinion about pursuing a graduate certificate and if you believe it is a good idea, should I focus on drug & alcohol studies or military social work?

By the way, I live near a VA center and have applied for jobs in the past with them and never received a response back. I know that it is difficult to obtain employment with VA. I do realize that I don't have to work for the VA to help the activie duty military personnel,families or veterans. I would love to have some guidance, advice, and insight from experienced social workers out there. Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

I would suggest that you consider an agency and program position's major funder for insight into what you are willing to do. Government funded positions, from licensed therapist to child welfare worker, are stable only if you and the program are meeting outcomes and the political capital of the organization hasn't been spent on media incidents or bad relationships. Whatever position or program, the more clinically meticulous your work is, the more you'll do for consumers and your program. The real money in non-profits is a program director or working in an executive management position at headquarters. Then it's all bout outcomes, ris management, and visibility to the funder. Direct practice is about assessment, tx planning, services or referals, discharge and minimal recidivism.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

darnell239 in Columbia, South Carolina

69 months ago

Thank you for providing me with some feed back to my question. I typically never receive feedback. I will give the advice you gave me some serious thought. If I do work for non-profit I know the ultimate goal would be to work my way up to at least a program director.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.