What topics do Social Workers cover, and what topics can a LCSW advise on? Difference between the two?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

socialwkr in Missouri

53 months ago

Sunny in El Macero, California said: What's the difference between a regular MSW, social worker
and a LCSW? I know that the LCSW requires an additional 2 years of clinical practice, but what areas can this person cover (advise on/help people with) versus a MSW?

What limitations do MSW's and LCSW's have?

Sunny, a LCSW allows insurance to be billed for services. A LCSW can do therapy versus no a MSW who is not licensed. The MSW is the degree, but the license is saying you can do therapy and have the skill, experience and supervision required under that license. That is why clinical supervision for most states is 2 years.

Depending on what one does, there is no limitation. If one does not want to do therapy, then they don't need to pursue the LCSW. Most states have other minimum licenses that do not require supervision, like the LMSW for example. That is just a professional license, and gives you another letter in front. Some states also require all degreed social workers to be licensed, regardless of what they are doing. So if they have a BSW, they must get their LBSW, etc. Depends on the state.

Since a degree in social work allows one to do different things, it all depends on what you want to do. I have worked in a setting where I assisted in writing grants and getting funding for an agency with my MSW..........we learn all that in graduate school and undergrad school too. So, the field in my opinion is open depending on what one wants to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sunny in El Macero, California

53 months ago

Thank you so incredibly much socialwkr for your replies!!!!!

I wanted to know what specific topics/subjects that a LCSW can provide therapy for though. I know that LCSW is primarily for the "mental health" patients, but I was wondering if it was the right track for me. Do LCSW's also deal with marital and child abuse patients? I would really like to focus on these topics, but I read somewhere else that you can just have your BSW and do that. I was under the impression that BSW's primarily deal with adoption cases, homeless outreach programs, etc. & maybe the MSW's can do management cases (and get paid a bit more too).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

53 months ago

example job description
Children's Service Worker I

Position Description: This is an entry-level professional social service work in the Children's Division of the Department of Social Services providing protective services on behalf of children and families in instances of abuse, neglect, or exploitation.

Minimum Qualifications: (The following requirements will determine merit system eligibility, experience and education ratings, and may be used to evaluate applicants for Missouri Uniform Classification and Pay System positions not requiring selection from merit registers. When practical and possible, the Division of Personnel will accept substitution of experience and education on a year-for-year basis.)

A Bachelor's or higher level degree from an accredited college or university in Social Work/Human Services, Psychology, Sociology, Psychiatric Nursing, Education, Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Family and Child Development, Criminal Justice, Juvenile Justice, or Human Services related fields (e.g., child welfare, mental health, substance abuse, and developmental disabilities).

Children's Service Worker II

This is a professional social service work in the Children's Division of the Department of Social Services in the application of direct social work methods with or, on behalf of children and families in instances of abuse, neglect, or exploitation.

Minimum Qualifications: (The following requirements will determine merit system eligibility, experience and education ratings, and may be used to evaluate applicants for Missouri Uniform Classification and Pay System positions not requiring selection from merit registers. When practical and possible, the Division of Personnel will accept substitution of experience and education on a year-for-year basis.)

One or more years of experience as a Children's Service Worker I with the Missouri Uniform Classification and Pay System.

OR

A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

53 months ago

continued post:
OR

A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Social Work/Human Services, Psychology, Sociology, Psychiatric Nursing, Education, Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Family and Child Development, Criminal Justice, Juvenile Justice, or Human Services related fields (e.g., child welfare, mental health, substance abuse, and developmental disabilities); and

One or more years of professional experience in the delivery of protective children's services (investigation of abuse or neglect of children, child foster care, adoptions, family centered services, and intensive in-home services) in a public or private agency.

OR

A Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Social Work/Human Services, Psychology, Sociology, Psychiatric Nursing, Education, Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Family and Child Development, Criminal Justice, Juvenile Justice, or Human Services related fields (e.g., child welfare, mental health, substance abuse, and developmental disabilities).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

GARH608 in Jacksonville, North Carolina

48 months ago

Socialwkr in Missouri,

What part of Missouri do you practice? I am currently in my senior year of my BSW and am thinking about moving back to Missouri after graduation next summer. Is there many job openings in the area??

Thanks

Gina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

47 months ago

GARH608 in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Socialwkr in Missouri,

What part of Missouri do you practice? I am currently in my senior year of my BSW and am thinking about moving back to Missouri after graduation next summer. Is there many job openings in the area??

Thanks

Gina

Gina, you would definitely have a better chance of finding employment in your larger areas.....as you are familiar with Missouri, like St. Louis, Kansas City. Not sure if you are interested in working for the state? You may want to check out positions you may qualify for and after you graduate next summer you could get placed on the merit register. Not sure where your interests are? But if you are not familiar there are state level positions that do hire entry level Bachelor's level......social services and division of youth services. If you are interested in long term care, you may want to check out some of the nursing home corporation websites to see if they have vacancies. Manor Care is one of the larger corporations...I am not sure the location of all of their homes though. I find that typically in rural areas, social workers tend to stay in their jobs....thus less new jobs. In larger areas, there is more opportunity in seeking jobs....in my opinion!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.