Lost

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

anonn in Atlanta, Georgia

19 months ago

I cannot stress enough how totally and completely lost I am right now. I feel like I'm stuck, and I am not sure that I will ever recover from this.

I got a BS in Computer Science in 2009. The job market was abysmal; I couldn't get work at McDonalds. Through a friend of a friend (and persistence, I had to call these people once a week for 6 weeks), I got a job outside of software engineering. Basically, I have been creating Access databases for the last 2.5 years.

Now, I've been looking for a job since October/November, and I've had several phone interviews. I can't get past the technical questions. I am not sure how to brush up on said skills outside of reading the dozen or so CS books I used in college. And there are no guides out there; people only say "you should just know it."

I just really don't know what to do....I feel like I will never get a career started and I'm only 27!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t_blue in Kalispell, Montana

18 months ago

Not sure what technical questions the interviewers are asking, but you could review the questions by searching for "computer science interview questions" and then looking up the answers in your textbooks.

Reading textbooks is good idea, but sometimes practicing your craft is better way to refresh or learn.

If you can't find a entry level job that will allow you to OJT, try volunteering for non-profit or community organizations. These organizations have Websites that need to be maintained. You won't make any money, but you will develop skills and experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.